Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Just finished, ended up going for 2 hours longer than I planned to.

My playthrough was meticulous with some lucky rear end rolls until I got to the point where I interviewed Ruby at which point I failed to talk her down and she blew her brains out and then almost all the union guys got gunned down. Meeting the sweet gentle plasmid made it better and even resolved any lingering issues over the ex. How could Harry truly love a woman who is middle class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

team overhead smash posted:

How could Harry truly love a woman who is middle class?
I literally laughed out loud at this line

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
The one thing I really liked about the Tribunal scene (I mean, beyond all of it) was how quickly and masterfully it shifts Titus from antagonistic tough guy jerk to sympathetic dude out of his depth trying to avoid bloodshed.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Nae! posted:

I literally laughed out loud at this line

I'm laughing out loud at a ton of stuff in this. I especially like "I am really, really smart" and all the times when you fail a snappy comeback roll and embarrass yourself.

edit: the whole "shot-put" sportsball part had me in stitches

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 1, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

Sequel plans: basically all just evil apes dukin' it out on a giant ball

oh gently caress me the evil apes are on the ball and the ball is earth for fucks sake I thought the apes were attacking the ball holy loving poo poo i am so loving dumb

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

*makes the limbic system face*

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

*makes the limbic system face*

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Horizon Burning posted:

The one thing I really liked about the Tribunal scene (I mean, beyond all of it) was how quickly and masterfully it shifts Titus from antagonistic tough guy jerk to sympathetic dude out of his depth trying to avoid bloodshed.

hearing (seeing?) “the cop is down! Protect the cop!” alongside hearing how they charged the mercs definitely does a lot to endear him as well.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Anyone has the link to the fullest stats savegame file?

i'm also trying to figure out what is the bare minimum to complete the game. There are a lot of permutations to the plot, but things that are super important aren't actually necessary to complete, such as completing the chains of tasks for Evart and letting him reveal his plans to start a war in Martinaiise, reporting the same to Joyce who agrees that sacrificing a terminal is the best idea and leaves after calling Harry insane, finding out about the pale, the whole church quest sequence

The barebones stuff would be (i think? massive spoilers):
- wear pants and get keys (pants may be removed)
- recruit kim
- speak to garte
- get corpse down and autopsy on corpse, kim brings it to the station (may not be necessary? spotting and taking the bullet are not)
- pay garte rent for at least 2 days
- speak to titus (lynch story)
- speak to klassje (dispute of rape)
- speak to titus again (doorjammer tape)
- buy speaker at pawnshop, play tape
- speak to klassje (dispute of tape)
- investigate window (may not be necessary?)
- speak to titus (ruby revelation)
- obtain martinaisse map (may not be necessary?)
- day 3 coast opens
- speak to washerwoman (confirmation of suspicious person at coast)
- first potential sniper location investigation (may not be necessary?)
- shivers check on FELD building poster
- showdown with ruby
- tribunal event
- boat to deserter's island
- get fuel (may be able to use fuel from your car?)
- start generator, open door (you don't have to sleep, nor do you have to check the sniper's nest)
- speak to deserter
- speak to phasmid
- speak to Jean and Precinct 41
- choose to go back to Jamrock

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ports to console is kind of huge news, congrats to the disco team

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

frajaq posted:

Later in the investigation you find out he was shot anyway, think Klaajsz tells you

You also get a Espirit-De-Corps passive check about some guys in the precint morgue finding it out, and one of the guys hacking the corpse comments that "no wonder the detectives didn't find discover this, this was pretty well-hidden"

That reminds me, what's the deal with fridge-ing the corpse? I did it for the experience but we'd already concluded the autopsy, so we literally carried it from the car to the fridge and then right back. I do remember that the check to find the bullet was surprisingly tough- does that check get progressively harder while the body is unfrozen or something?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Omi no Kami posted:

That reminds me, what's the deal with fridge-ing the corpse? I did it for the experience but we'd already concluded the autopsy, so we literally carried it from the car to the fridge and then right back. I do remember that the check to find the bullet was surprisingly tough- does that check get progressively harder while the body is unfrozen or something?
Getting the body in the freezer gives you a big bonus on the check to look for the bullet

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Just picked this up yesterday. Mother of mercy this is legit GOTY material. I just finished the runaround stuff with Klaasje and the Hardies leading up to needing to find Ruby, but the internal dialogue is amazing.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
on my third playthrough and the proper communist shooter at the end mentions "plans they had" involving colonizing the pale, this world building has to be addressed in their future games i don't know if i can handle the blueballs if its just forgotten

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

It also means you can steal the boots w/o kim seeing it.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

i snuck out after kim went to his room, what’s something fun to do

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

a fatguy baldspot posted:

i snuck out after kim went to his room, what’s something fun to do

Steal the boots or (day 3) go on a date. Kim leaves for the rest of the day when he takes the body away, so you should wait until it's late on day 2 to help him carry it to the car.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

boots???

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

wiegieman posted:

Steal the boots or (day 3) go on a date. Kim leaves for the rest of the day when he takes the body away, so you should wait until it's late on day 2 to help him carry it to the car.

Alternatively let Kim third wheel on the date with you.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i'm also trying to figure out what is the bare minimum to complete the game.
Is getting the corpse down at all actually necessary? I could swear I remember a pre-release dev interview saying you can actually just leave it hanging until the end, but haven't tried doing it myself yet.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Out of curiosity, yeah, is there a straight-up failure state? Like if I wake up on day one, meet Kim, then just sit on a bench all day every day, do I eventually hit a point where it just hard-cuts to a newspaper article reading "District 41 fires dumbass cop for doing nothing"? My assumption is that it gives you seven days, and if a week passes without your having caught the dude it either railroads you into an alternate ending or tensions in the district boil over and you get a hard game over.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Kim won't let you sit on benches, but you could just read the books over and over again, I suppose.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Omi no Kami posted:

Out of curiosity, yeah, is there a straight-up failure state? Like if I wake up on day one, meet Kim, then just sit on a bench all day every day, do I eventually hit a point where it just hard-cuts to a newspaper article reading "District 41 fires dumbass cop for doing nothing"? My assumption is that it gives you seven days, and if a week passes without your having caught the dude it either railroads you into an alternate ending or tensions in the district boil over and you get a hard game over.

I'm curious about that too. Might load up one of my playthrough saves near the start and just waste time reading books and sleeping.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

They should've actually let you run a campaign with that D&D box set you can buy, and it should be timed so that if you buy it on day one and do nothing but play it, you hit the failure state right before Harry gets to the good part.

(I can't decide if I'd want Harry as Drug DM, or Kim as Increasingly Exasperated DM.)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Is getting the corpse down at all actually necessary? I could swear I remember a pre-release dev interview saying you can actually just leave it hanging until the end, but haven't tried doing it myself yet.

i'm gonna try a run not doing that (which is where having a fullstat save would help, since I assume a lot of the white checks are dependent on the corpse being down)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Doing this without spoiler tags as I'm on my phone - once it is made clear to you that this is the point of return , how much longer is the game?
I saved immediately after the big conversation that followed, still in the same area.
I'm going on vacation on Sunday and trying to figure out if I can finish it before that or it's better left put on hold until I'm back.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

cubicle gangster posted:

Doing this without spoiler tags as I'm on my phone - once it is made clear to you that this is the point of return , how much longer is the game?
I saved immediately after the big conversation that followed, still in the same area.
I'm going on vacation on Sunday and trying to figure out if I can finish it before that or it's better left put on hold until I'm back.

It's a pretty straight shot from that point on. Not too much left, but the remaining encounters are meaty and long.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

My playthrough ended on Day 8, so if there's a cut-off point, it's defo longer than that.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It's a pretty straight shot from that point on. Not too much left, but the remaining encounters are meaty and long.

One hour, 2, 4?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I (garte spoilers, Endgame) patched things up with garte and after i got shot my room was cleaned. Did that happen for everyone else?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Impermanent posted:

I (garte spoilers, Endgame) patched things up with garte and after i got shot my room was cleaned. Did that happen for everyone else?

yeah

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

cubicle gangster posted:

One hour, 2, 4?

I spent 4/5 hours from the point of no return to the credits. Like previous poster said, it’s not a lot of content but it’s really dense and a ton of poo poo happens.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I’m still stuck in Day 2 because I couldn’t afford the 20 for a room so had to reload an earlier save.

Are you penalized if you take money from Evrart?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

theblackw0lf posted:

I’m still stuck in Day 2 because I couldn’t afford the 20 for a room so had to reload an earlier save.

what penalties could this game inflict? lost skill points? no.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Verviticus posted:

what penalties could this game inflict? lost skill points? no.

I guess it’s more wondering if it affects the story in some way

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
things that affect things will affect them in a way where you will think "yeah, that was likely to happen more or less given a real world analysis of whether or not that thing would affect things." The game isn't going to give you the middle finger for not choosing the Correct Option.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

theblackw0lf posted:

Like I mentioned earlier, you can't actually cash Evrart's cheque. At least, I can't. I don't know if this bug happens consistently.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Impermanent posted:

things that affect things will affect them in a way where you will think "yeah, that was likely to happen more or less given a real world analysis of whether or not that thing would affect things." The game isn't going to give you the middle finger for not choosing the Correct Option.

That’s why I don’t want to take it haha. Because I could imagine real world consequences.

Thing is if I don’t take it I really don’t know how to get to 20. I’ve only bought the map and boom box. Have grabbed every bottle I can find. And have 5 perception and have clicked on everything I can find and have pawned whatever I could

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

About how early can you get the actual art degree thought? And do you have to constantly say the art you’re looking at sucks, or can you just make comments on art in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

kim may have a solution