Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
that's how i always wrap that quest. i don't even bother shooting at anyone, i just jump behind the sofa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

ilitarist posted:

I'm using precisely 1 non-graphics mod (JSawyer) and it turned out to be enough to break ED-E quest. Or maybe it was because I didn't have ED-E on me when Followers tried to call me. Also, Legion Ears don't spawn. Arcade doesn't want to use any weapon apart from his default one. Black Mountain quest is regarded as resolved - there's no radio anymore and Mr New Vegas says it stopped even though I've never been there. Hardcore mode is as inconsequential as in vanilla but I like limitations on carrying capacity.

JSawyer hasn't caused any of those bugs for me, shouldn't be an issue. Though it's important to differentiate if you're using the official one that Rope Kid made or the one that uses the name and makes most of the same changes but also does a bunch of other poo poo that other people made. I haven't used that one, can't vouch for it. I do also recommend the New Vegas unofficial patch, if you don't have that.

As far as Hardcore mode goes- if you actually want it to be hardcore, I recommend disabling fast travel. It can be a slog, but it's one of the smart things Bethesda did when making FO4's survival. You will never have any real tension about meeting survival needs when you can just teleport to water, food, beds, and medicine no problem, but as soon as you remove the ability to teleport then being crippled, thirsty, or hungry can be a real problem.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I'd argue that disabling fast travel without some kind of in game transit system is pretty stupid. Travel in Morrowind is great, having to walk everywhere in fo4 survival is just tedious

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Those bugs may be from the main game.

Bethesda's Survival mode works cause the world is dynamic. If I stop fast travel I will only encounter respawning Legion Assassins. Fallout 4 was also filled with unmarked locations, small caches and other things you may find if you take a slightly different route, not to mention respawning enemy (or friendly) outposts. So in Fallout 4 when you go to a bed you wonder if you can go the longer safer route or no; if you can get involved into a fight with some random enemies, if you should trade for water with that travelling merchant and so on. FNV going back to the safe haven is nit an interesting endeavour unless you chose a different route.

Also Fallout 4 has some transport options.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I disable fast travel but also have the Speed-E Wheel mod which adds repairable (and hackable) fast travel kiosks to most of the population centers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hm, yes, I enjoy backtracking through the same scenery over and over again

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
It is important to remember that the JSawyer mod and the JSawyer Ultimate mod are two very different things. The first one is the actual mod from...J Sawyer, which pretty much just fixes a bunch of bugs and tweaks a few item and gameplay settings to make it harder (in the only way to play, in my opinion), while the other is 'based on' it but also changes a LOT of other poo poo.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Yeah, I'm playing the original mod. Compared to what I remember about the game everything seems to die much faster, both me and enemies. Apart from Deathclaw Matriarch who is probably the only suitable application of that helios sky gun.

I appreciate how later similar games (Tyranny, PoE2) treat faction allegiance in a much more visible way, probably making a savescumming less necessary. In FNV there's little rhyme or reason to it. I have a message about the fact that everyone watches me and if I continue working with any faction others will hate me. So I dealt with Omerta. I tell about it to NCR and get the next mission - no one cares. I tell House about it and suddenly NCR and Legion both see through my Yojimbo nature. House, are your robots compromised? Has Arcade Gannon have read my quest log while I was sleeping and told Caesar all about it? Tyranny and PoE2 might be a little artificial with their crisis moments where you have to clearly choose, but in FNV you have dozens of NCR quests to take on so most player probably reload after finishing that Omerta quest is actually a point of no return.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Accidentally put this in the modding thread, putting it here too.

Big moment for rope kid-a photo featuring a woman combat vet with a tattoo of the Joshua Graham Quote featured on Good Morning America, with the quote read aloud just now.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

EimiYoshikawa posted:

It is important to remember that the JSawyer mod and the JSawyer Ultimate mod are two very different things. The first one is the actual mod from...J Sawyer, which pretty much just fixes a bunch of bugs and tweaks a few item and gameplay settings to make it harder (in the only way to play, in my opinion), while the other is 'based on' it but also changes a LOT of other poo poo.

It fixes a lot of dirty edits the original mod has, but you can totally set it up to function like the original JSawyer version in the MCM.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I generally would recommend JSawyer Ultimate over the original JSawyer *even* though it changes other things. Restoring the Varmint Rifle to use .22 is pretty dumb, IMO, but otherwise, the additional changes are sensible, having an MCM menu as a way to handle formulas is pretty nice, and the things that are removed from JSawyer (like the integration of GRA weapons into the game) is something that has been done in far better ways by other mods.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Already posted this in the Pillars 2 thread, but someone (either here or there) posted the recent talk Josh Sawyer gave on killing npc's (Death and the high cost of killing everyone iirc).

I'd like to watch it again, but I can't find the video. Anyone know where I can find it?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Never realized that the dead guy (McMurphy) in the back room in Boulder City when you shake down Jessup was the third dude from the opening scene with Benny

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Keith Atherton posted:

Never realized that the dead guy (McMurphy) in the back room in Boulder City when you shake down Jessup was the third dude from the opening scene with Benny

There's a brief comic prequel to New Vegas, called All Roads, where you see that the Khans with Benny at the beginning are short a man. He died north in one of the canyons near Red Rock. You can find a shallow grave and loot it for a unique knife.

It's difficult to stumble into considering nothing else is actually out there, and the game gives you very very little context for the grave, which just has a Khan uniform in it and the knife. RIP Chance, I guess.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Malpais Legate posted:

There's a brief comic prequel to New Vegas, called All Roads, where you see that the Khans with Benny at the beginning are short a man. He died north in one of the canyons near Red Rock. You can find a shallow grave and loot it for a unique knife.

It's difficult to stumble into considering nothing else is actually out there, and the game gives you very very little context for the grave, which just has a Khan uniform in it and the knife. RIP Chance, I guess.

Yeah, you can also find Chance's Map from the comic in the dirt up the road a fair ways from Chance's Grave. It even gets its own map marker and everything oddly enough and yet I am pretty sure his grave is a unmarked location.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:toot: After unsuccessfully getting my Steam version of FONV to work over the summer, I decided to try out the Ultimate Edition off GOG and I played for over 2 hours last night without a single crash. So hopefully this continue to be stable and playable?

According to Steam I've logged ~20 hours on this game so I must have played it way back when, but I don't remember a loving thing about it. How 'viable' is it to spend as much of the game in VATS as possible? The gunplay is very not good so I was thinking this might be a more fun alternative.

I was a little annoyed trying to rescue Deputy Beagle when one of the Powder Gangers just crouched down behind some cover after I already queued up a dozen shots into his face, so my guy just started blasting the desk and I couldn't cancel it, but oh well... Also is it a mistake to try and use Science Guns out of the gate? I've been using a Shotgun to conserve ammo because I don't have many laser bullets; hope they're not super scarce...

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 1, 2019

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

VATS is fine but it's not supposed to be a cop-out button. It only works up close: even if you can easily hit someone with a rifle doesn't mean VATS will give you more than 20% chance to do it. VATS is also more affected by perks and stats than usual gunplay. Normal shooting is not affected by stats as long as you have enough STR/skill to use a weapon.

Energy weapons are fine form the get-go too. You can get decent upgrades for it in starting town. You may feel a little short for cash and bullets for a time, but by the time you get to Vegas (maybe even earlier if you decide to do REPCONN quest) you'll be swimming in cash. Gun Runners are near the entrance to New Vegas and Van Graffs are hard to miss so you'll have the most important merchants readily available.

In general, don't worry. It's not a game where you can have a broken build or something. By the end of the game, you won't fear anything. And before that, you'll always have someplace to go where challenge would be bearable. Maybe except DLCs, those lock you out so don't start them till well after recommended level.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 1, 2019

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So far I seem to have excellent accuracy, but I imagine that's because I've got like 60 Energy Weapon skill and I'm only level 5 :v:

I didn't see any Upgrades available from Chet in the start town, but I just sold all of the poo poo I looted off the Powder Gangers / from rescueing the aforementioned Dept. Beagle and I feel like I'm swimming in caps (~2.5k?), even after paying Chet 1,000 spacebucks for help to fend off Cobb's gang in the beginning.

He did have some very expensive science guns though, I forget what the names were but it was like "Laser Pistol (GRA)" or something like that. What does the text in the parenthesis indicate?

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
GRA weapons come from the Gun Runner's Arsenal, and they're different from the vanilla weapons in that they usually have mods available for them from appropriate vendors

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The (GRA) is because it's a weapon from the Gun Runner's Arsenal DLC. I think the difference between the regular laser pistol and the GRA variant is that the GRA version can use weapon mods.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ilitarist posted:

Van Graffs are hard to miss
Goddamn right they are, with your guns, when you shoot them to death

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Why shoot them when you can drag all of their products into the bathroom and watch them disappear?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Why shoot them when you can just let a determined unsatisfied customer get to them?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Sab669 posted:

:toot: After unsuccessfully getting my Steam version of FONV to work over the summer, I decided to try out the Ultimate Edition off GOG and I played for over 2 hours last night without a single crash. So hopefully this continue to be stable and playable?

According to Steam I've logged ~20 hours on this game so I must have played it way back when, but I don't remember a loving thing about it. How 'viable' is it to spend as much of the game in VATS as possible? The gunplay is very not good so I was thinking this might be a more fun alternative.

I was a little annoyed trying to rescue Deputy Beagle when one of the Powder Gangers just crouched down behind some cover after I already queued up a dozen shots into his face, so my guy just started blasting the desk and I couldn't cancel it, but oh well... Also is it a mistake to try and use Science Guns out of the gate? I've been using a Shotgun to conserve ammo because I don't have many laser bullets; hope they're not super scarce...

My only advice is not to build a stealth sniper, because it's boring as gently caress and also terrible, especially if you ever play any DLC later on.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

You can build anything. There's enough levels/skill points that you can focus on something, and still master most of the other skills as well. I usually go talk/guns/melee or maybe unarmed. Melee is especially useful in Dead Money and Old World Blues.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

EimiYoshikawa posted:

My only advice is not to build a stealth sniper, because it's boring as gently caress and also terrible, especially if you ever play any DLC later on.

This is true of snipers in every game ever though :colbert: :)

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Sab669 posted:

This is true of snipers in every game ever though :colbert: :)

:yeah:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

New Vegas is a good game

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Upmarket Mango posted:

New Vegas is a good game

What are you trying to start here?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Please let's not start turning this into a DE thread too :ohdear:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finding Disco Elysium, that's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Both are good games. Fight me.

Also, anyone else feeling both good and bad over that Frontier mod seemingly to be forever in development hell?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New California dimmed my hopes for total conversion mods, so right now I'm in an "I'll believe it when I see it" mood.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Arcsquad12 posted:

New California dimmed my hopes for total conversion mods, so right now I'm in an "I'll believe it when I see it" mood.

:same:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Whatever happened to the "fallout 4 in new vegas" mod?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They just released a lot of content updates on their twitter feed.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SeanBeansShako posted:

Both are good games. Fight me.

Also, anyone else feeling both good and bad over that Frontier mod seemingly to be forever in development hell?

So from hanging out in their discord, what I've gathered is that it's loving huge, to the point that the playable map area is actually slightly larger than the Mojave. The other thing is that since the previous project lead stepped down, the people who took over made some significant adjustments to the mod (Such as removing references to Fallout: New California, which is unquestionably a good thing).

As it stands, they plan to release the mod in early 2020, so we'll see how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Xander77 posted:

Whatever happened to the "fallout 4 in new vegas" mod?