Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Oh, no. I'm not falling for that one again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I can't decide if I think George has a secret because it's so drat obvious or if it's so obvious that it's a red herring. I love/hate these games

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Very tangentially related but I've appreciated how Ouroboros fights have been handled so far. There's generally been circumstances going on that I can easily roll with so it's not anywhere near as frustrating as 2 was.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I can't decide if I think George has a secret because it's so drat obvious or if it's so obvious that it's a red herring. I love/hate these games

I just kinda stared at the screen when he showed up for exactly this reason.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Oh Snapple! posted:

Very tangentially related but I've appreciated how Ouroboros fights have been handled so far. There's generally been circumstances going on that I can easily roll with so it's not anywhere near as frustrating as 2 was.

I just kinda stared at the screen when he showed up for exactly this reason.

I love how time passes everyone becomes more and more capable of countering Ouroboros. It really gives a sense that there's more being accomplished than what our characters are doing. Ouroboros really doesn't have as much a lead as it used to.

And, right?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I love how time passes everyone becomes more and more capable of countering Ouroboros. It really gives a sense that there's more being accomplished than what our characters are doing. Ouroboros really doesn't have as much a lead as it used to.

At the same time, this game sells their power a little better than it used to. The real reason that CS2 felt so tiresome is because it was so easy to one-shot bosses, and then get told you lost anyway.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
Trailed of Cold Steel III - Gimme the dirt.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Trails of Cold Steel III - *Whisks furiously*

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
"I'm up! It's down!"

-Rean, a lot

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Clarste posted:

"I'm up! It's down!"

-Rean, a lot

I legitimately though Alissa was replying "No it's not!" until I realized that would be a stupid thing to reply with

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

"Leave it to me! I'll leave it to you!"

When switching out Olivier

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
I've been meaning to ask for a while but is this game dropping frames like crazy for everyone ? Trying to figure out if my ps4 (not pro) is about to kick the bucket.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
Well, I just finished Trails of Cold Steel III...

That ended poorly, very poorly. Everything that could of gone wrong, did go wrong.

It is now time to see this wretched fairy tale through to the end, even if it is written in ink black as despair.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Death Priest posted:

I've been meaning to ask for a while but is this game dropping frames like crazy for everyone ? Trying to figure out if my ps4 (not pro) is about to kick the bucket.

Yep. It also makes my PS4 (not pro) sound like it is about to kick the bucket, so I am not sure if it should be a cause for relief.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
How good are Ash and Musse? I just got them but I find myself sticking to the characters I already have.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Musse is more or less a healer/caster - she has two water slots in a single line so I gave her Heal, Water Bell, Cast 2, and some high-end Water Arts, together with Nightgleam for normal battles. Really good stat-cure + heal craft, too.

Ash gets a very good self-buff and is generally a solid brawler. I use him the same way I used Laura in CS2 - give him stuff that increases delay but magnifies damage, then lean on the S-Craft button.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Starsnostars posted:

How good are Ash and Musse? I just got them but I find myself sticking to the characters I already have.

Take a look at their master quartz, at the very least.

Edit: Ash also gets a very nice advanced break craft, which combined with Rean's vortex and of course Sledgehammer can chew through boss's break gauge very quickly.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 1, 2019

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I already took their master quartz off them to give to others which might be why they're not making the best impression.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Can't speak for Ash, have seen Musse caster builds that wipe most bosses in the final dungeon before they get a single turn.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm tempted to boot Kurt out of the party and give his entire gimmick to someone else. Insane counters are all well and good but not when enemies start getting bigger with a better reach than you.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

grancheater posted:

Can't speak for Ash, have seen Musse caster builds that wipe most bosses in the final dungeon before they get a single turn.

I would be interested to hear the build for this

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Stelas posted:

I'm tempted to boot Kurt out of the party and give his entire gimmick to someone else. Insane counters are all well and good but not when enemies start getting bigger with a better reach than you.

Wait, is that why he never seems to counter anymore? It makes sense, but I was assuming it was something like counters having a low chance to trigger in this game.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Azathoth256 posted:

Wait, is that why he never seems to counter anymore? It makes sense, but I was assuming it was something like counters having a low chance to trigger in this game.

If you dodge an attack and are in range to counter, you counter.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It's the same issue as Fie dodge builds in CS1, where she's only got a weapon range of 1 and larger enemies just tend to swipe at her from beyond that - sure it's a dodge, but counters can't trigger (obviously inapplicable to 2, where she just starts shooting them).

As for Ash/Musse, I ended up swapping in Musse simply to give me some sort of back line that's not clumping up together with everyone else.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

BrightWing posted:

I would be interested to hear the build for this

EP-on-damage, minimize delay (not casting time) and go all in on ATS. With a low enough delay, once you throw out a 2 BP Divine Song Order you can get 6 casts in a row.

On Normal a Pandora / Titania with Crystal Edge / Epoch Bell / Fenrir / Deus Gem / Cast 3 / Black Bell / Water Bell build had Cavalry Edge as a 1-delay spell hitting the final boss for around 8% of its health, and you can clearly cram more ATS in there if you need it on higher difficulties.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I feel like my party's gonna end up being Juna/Ash/Musse but I haven't even taken the latter two into the Keep yet so who knows.

grancheater posted:

EP-on-damage, minimize delay (not casting time) and go all in on ATS. With a low enough delay, once you throw out a 2 BP Divine Song Order you can get 6 casts in a row.

On Normal a Pandora / Titania with Crystal Edge / Epoch Bell / Fenrir / Deus Gem / Cast 3 / Black Bell / Water Bell build had Cavalry Edge as a 1-delay spell hitting the final boss for around 8% of its health, and you can clearly cram more ATS in there if you need it on higher difficulties.

also quoting this just so I can find it easily later.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Holy poo poo, Sara's English VA is just blowing the rest of the cast out of the competition in all the emotional scenes. She should get an award or something.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

She deserved an award for her delivery when Victor shows up in CS2

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I was literally just about to ask how great Sara was in this game.

Thank you thread.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

She deserved an award for her delivery when Victor Sharon and Claire show up in CS2

And the Victor line was pretty good too. Her cooking line for exceptional dishes in 3 is fantastic as well.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

One thing to note about Musse is that all her attacks are magical, including the ones that say they're physical. Including her normal attack. I don't think it's even possible for her to deal any physical damage. And therefore strength is useless on her? Maybe.

Point is, even though she can do massive damage with super fast arts, her crafts are also decent because they run off her ATS.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've been considering dropping Kurt for Missed, so good to know.

As far as Ash is concerned, I've gotten into a groove of getting close to the enemies, swapping him in, and watching the bad guys fall down. His mobility is incredibly hindering.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Ash's craft targeting is kinda tricky since you need quite a bit of open space to land.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Why is the game so cagey about anybody saying Lloyd's name? Everybody refers to him as Him and every now and then they'll just say his last name.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Ethiser posted:

Why is the game so cagey about anybody saying Lloyd's name? Everybody refers to him as Him and every now and then they'll just say his last name.

He's Tidus' brother

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ethiser posted:

What the hell, are you trying to summon the goddang police here? The L-named man is like the Bye Bye Man of the trails universe. Don't think it, don't say it, or he'll already be there.:stare:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

They do the same for Crow for a lot of the game.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Clarste posted:

They do the same for Crow for a lot of the game.

Crow sucks though so no one should bother to remember his name.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
Finally finished !

Now for some initial thoughts.

Dangerous spoiler block ahead:

Wow, that certainly is a cliffhanger alright. "Let me staaaayyyy" was pretty tame in comparison.

For one thing, I don't believe for a minute that Olivert, Victor and Toval died. I'm going to be very sad if I'm wrong. I thought it was interesting that even Osborne seemed to feel bad about it.

Losing Millium like that was heartbreaking. I think watching Airgetlam shatter hurt me just as bad as noticing the red gash on Millium's body.

gently caress Aurelia. No, seriously, gently caress Aurelia. She added nothing of value to the game, is a goddamn god-mode sue and she stole what should have been Laura's spot in chapter 3.
gently caress Musse as well for being so annoying.
gently caress you Osborne but also thank you Osborne for being the guy I love to hate. You delivered.
gently caress you George, I want to rip you to shreds. Towa's probably right about Angie though.
gently caress you Rufus. I can't believe Rean didn't kill you when he had the chance.
gently caress you Cedric. I never liked you to begin with but you've managed to exceed my expectations in the worst way possible.
Actually, gently caress the rest of the Ironbloods. We really like daddy Osborne so we're going to help him destroy the world even if we know it's a very, very bad idea, sorry guys ! Hope you can understand !
gently caress you Crow, I used to like you. You had better redeem yourself in 4.
I'm going to stop there because the gently caress You list would be pretty long.

You're looking pretty goddamn dumb now Stahlritter girls but I don't hate you. At least now you have potential for growth.

I was also surprised at how underwhelming McBurn and especially Arianrhod were in this game. They were little more than glorified jobbers putting Aurelia and Wallace over. On the other hand, I really liked that Laura and Gaius were able to hold them off.
Speaking of Gaius, it's nice that he's finally got something going for him ! Too bad he showed up to that first Arianrhod boss fight without a S-Craft...

Rean has one seriously scary murder-face when he loses it. That final battle brought some heavy feelings too. It made me feel like the very last boss of Persona 3. You can only do that one thing you as the player really don't want to because you know the consequences.

And to end with something positive, I think most of the new class VII is great. Rean may be the leader but Juna and Altina could arguably be called main characters too.

I may come back to it once I've digested all that. I'm very, very satisfied with CS3 and waiting for 4 will be pure torture.

Death Priest fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 3, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Ethiser posted:

Crow sucks though so no one should bother to remember his name.

What I don't get is Rean's refusal to believe Azure is Crow. You saw someone alive a month ago that two people you trust saw die, and the man said he can't say what happened. Get your poo poo together, Rean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Speaking of Crow, I've been wondering recently why they didn't just have Crow as one of the original Class VII in the first place. Having him join halfway through the first game, and not exactly endear himself to the player all that well at that, doesn't seem like enough of a basis for the pathos they expect to wring out of him.

Why couldn't he have been there right from the beginning, one of your original best friends alongside Gaius and Elliot? Seems weird to me.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 2, 2019