Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Addamere posted:

This is really interesting to me but I'm a complete layman regarding anything to do with hard sciences so if you could write some more words about this I would really appreciate it!

There's not much to it. Products like the self-driving car or robots meant for sidewalks and public venues (you might've seen Knightscope's egg-shaped security robots) have to navigate human-populated spaces, and the easiest way to do that is to mesh with existing social customs humans have for things like right of way by mimicking human behaviour. The other half of that equation, though, is you need humans to recognize and reciprocate this behaviour, and if their reaction is "well that's a bucket of bolts, it can't really have a right of way" that'll make it harder for the robot to integrate, which makes it less efficient and reduces its marketable potential. Navigation is just one type of interaction where this problem appears.

That encourages researchers to see human-robot interaction as a problem of convincing people the robots they are interacting with are authentic social agents whom they should respect, by getting them to simulate etiquette and otherwise play on your natural human tendency to anthropomorphize things. They're only looking to extend this appearance of social agency far enough to provoke the right reactions and sympathies out of subjects, though - they want you to believe the robot has a rich interior life that can be offended that you cut them off at a four-way stop, but not actually have one that would prevent the company from selling the robot off for parts if they felt like it.

This is the most cynical interpretation of the old Turing Test, where you exploit the idea of making something everyone else can't distinguish from a real person but knowing they're not real when it's convenient for you. Rather than researchers creating some kind of Strong AI "real" synthetic person, we're heading toward a weird uncanny valley, which you experience whenever a customer service chat-bot tries to fool you into thinking there's a real person on the other side, and will soon see in the self-driving car with tinted windows so you can't tell for sure if there's a human driver to offend if you cut them off.

For further reading, check out Cynthia Breazeal's paper on How To Build Robots That Make Friends and Influence People, for her work on perceived intentionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Alec Eiffel posted:

imagine actually using the word “stan”

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j_cOsgRY7w

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

TMMadman posted:

So btw, what did Schnirkles dress up as for Halloween?

his dad

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Bethamphetamine posted:

Google just bought FitBit and all its user data. Becoming a luddite looks better every day.

hell yeah

gregday
May 23, 2003

god making the jerkoff motion

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Addamere posted:

did we ever learn what exactly nerve stapling is beyond just being a bad sounding thing that is considered an atrocity

It makes people mindless drones

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Did he get in trouble with the SEC for tweeting again?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

gregday posted:

god making the jerkoff motion

Thats how italy was created

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

I didn't think the python would strangle ME

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I am Obama of Borg

#theresistance is futile
You will be rear end-simulated

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

or we could just not have robots and pay people to do things

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

BAE OF PIGS posted:

What happened to volume 4 of trump thread again?

Also I always get so confused on the first of the month when I try to post Trmpwpr and the thread is locked.

someone posted in a very maggotmaster voice

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

I'm broken enough that this little bit of trivia is all I can think about when my wife has Voyager on while she works

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Kilmers Elbow posted:

there has to be an invisible sun

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

he's shook because a Taycan just beat a Model S in pretty much every measurable metric

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Dems dont need Republican votes in the house anyway, if they weren't willing to stand up for the inquiry why would they stand up for the impeachment

Serf
May 5, 2011

euphronius posted:

or we could just not have robots and pay people to do things

we should pay people to do things (and pay them to not do things) until we have the robots ready so that we can all get paid to do whatever we want

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

god: :jerkbag:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

he should log off into a big hole

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

So I'm just gonna go with Trump thinks changing his residence to FL is some legal loophole that means SDNY can't touch him when he gets out of office.

joke's on you, he's betting on florida not having an extradition treaty with ny after the country starts balkanizing as the result of his admin

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Mods give everyone itt the title Dr.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Addamere posted:

did we ever learn what exactly nerve stapling is beyond just being a bad sounding thing that is considered an atrocity

Nerve stapling turns off higher brain function, it's a lobotomy without the side effects

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin
snake house?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The Alpha Centauri posted:

A spaceship

Even planes have aspirations to be something better

Schnorkles wants to join space force when he grows up.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

The animal House sequel no one asked for

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
RIP schnirkles

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
this alcoholic and absent father cop has broken several hundred laws along with killing over 70 people in the last 30 years

ACAB

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Mayor Dave posted:

Nerve stapling turns off higher brain function, it's a lobotomy without the side effects

I prefer nonsurgical solutions, like pills that make you crack ping

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

all these evangelical prayer shields protecting Trump conveniently forget about the Druids

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

he's shook because a Taycan just beat a Model S in pretty much every measurable metric

It turns out they were using an older model s or something though.

But still, gently caress him.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

[saying moon god voice]:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1189975996944068609?s=21

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Rubellavator posted:

I prefer nonsurgical solutions, like pills that make you crack ping

u can also use electron beams or proton beams. fast crack-pinging with millimeter precision!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

:hai:

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
drat 7 day Twitter timeout. That's loving dumb.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

this is also happening to at least one chicago area hospital serving poorer people

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

A Handed Missus posted:

I hate taking these people. I guarantee you they are bad. That is why they are in prison right now. They are not going to be wonderful people who go on to work for the local helg people.

woww!! president a handed missus!

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

BAE OF PIGS posted:

drat 7 day Twitter timeout. That's loving dumb.

what nazi did you call a nazi?