Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Kaal posted:

They had major plane issues getting in. Hulk Hogan posted about how they made an emergency landing where the tires popped and the brakes melted. They caught a ride with a friend (who know your friend you bump into in Iceland with their plane) but it's not surprising they have to figure out something else to get back.

Wrestling journos are reporting its not a mechanical or weather issue. A dozen wrestlers + Vince have already left the country. The rest are stuck as of last reporting.

Tax:

Edit: also apparently none of the wrestlers are allowed to say anything about it? That's disconcerting if true.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ugh. I really hope these guys can put something together. I will miss Deadspin, I really will.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Ugh. I really hope these guys can put something together. I will miss Deadspin, I really will.

yeah it was great, it sucks it got wrecked over the new owners basically just being power-tripping idiots. they didn't even last long enough to run it into the ground!

love that the last two articles are "was deadspin a good blog? yes" and "sports blogs, ranked: 1) Getting hit by a car 2) Deadspin"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Kaal posted:

They had major plane issues getting in. Hulk Hogan posted about how they made an emergency landing where the tires popped and the brakes melted. They caught a ride with a friend (who know your friend you bump into in Iceland with their plane) but it's not surprising they have to figure out something else to get back.

And that friend turned out to be Brock Lesnar.

No, seriously, it really was.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

evilweasel posted:

yeah it was great, it sucks it got wrecked over the new owners basically just being power-tripping idiots. they didn't even last long enough to run it into the ground!

love that the last two articles are "was deadspin a good blog? yes" and "sports blogs, ranked: 1) Getting hit by a car 2) Deadspin"

I don't know how I'm gonna start the NFL season without my WYTS articles :cry:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just let me know where the patreon is, I'd kick a few bucks a month to nipsdaed.com if they can get most of the staff back together.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I don't understand. Is he somehow counting "went on strike, came back" as a job added? Cause if so that is some impressive galaxy-brain poo poo.

i think he's saying "if you counted these people who are currently unemployed because they are on strike, the REAL job numbers are..."

but like, they're not in the labor force right now. because they are striking. it's worth pointing out in the jobs report but it's not something you can use to unskew the numbers

e: golf cheat thinking, "my real score is 54 because that first stroke on hole 14 didn't count because it went over the lake, and then i got a freebie on the green at 16 because the grass was too wet, and..."

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 1, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

there's no way drew margery doesn't get picked up by a new blog asap, but i'm concerned about everyone else and getting to critical mass at a new blog

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

luxury handset posted:

i think he's saying "if you counted these people who are currently unemployed because they are on strike, the REAL job numbers are..."

but like, they're not in the labor force right now. because they are striking. it's worth pointing out in the jobs report but it's not something you can use to unskew the numbers

the strike is over, so it's perfectly reasonable to unskew it based on a known temporary condition that has ended. the problem, again, is that even those corrected numbers are nowhere near 300k.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

the strike is over, so it's perfectly reasonable to unskew it based on a known temporary condition that has ended

eh, it's worth pointing out as a major contributor to this month's job estimate but the net jobs number is the net jobs number :shrug:

e: also, those workers will show back up in next month's estimate and trump will definitely not be like "well, i counted them as last months job adds, so i'm not going to count them again"

he's just pulling numbers from all adjacent months into this month because he is desperate for big number go up to objectively prove the wicked haters and liars are wrong about how much he sucks

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 1, 2019

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Even worse: no Haters Guide to Williams Sonoma Catalog this year. Christmas ruined.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

evilweasel posted:

Yes. Basically, "safe" republican seats reported very quickly. Oddly, safe democratic seats tended not to, and any seats that people thought were actually in play did not report quickly. The model dramatically overcorrected to all of those safe seats coming in: it had a "long tail" chance that it would be a blowout and that safe republicans seats would fall (think an overwhelming landslide: the chance was very low, but not zero). That got zeroed out by the results, but the chance of a "whoops democrats got wiped out" did not get zeroed out at the same time. The model dramatically overcorrected as a result and was making predictions that were much too strong given that the information it was getting had very little predictive value.

Your typical "safe" republican districts are slam full of obscenely wealthy boomers and retirees. They all went to vote after breakfast in places like the Villages. People who have to work for a living went post-5PM, or absentee, delaying the results.

You know, that thing chuds try to turn on Democrats(they're all on welfare yuk yuk yuk).

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

Even worse: no Haters Guide to Williams Sonoma Catalog this year. Christmas ruined.

I did not know this existed, but given that Williams-Sonoma has managed to ruin two Christmases in a row for me, I now need to read it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

luxury handset posted:

eh, it's worth pointing out as a major contributor to this month's job estimate but the net jobs number is the net jobs number :shrug:

e: also, those workers will show back up in next month's estimate and trump will definitely not be like "well, i counted them as last months job adds, so i'm not going to count them again"

he's just pulling numbers from all adjacent months into this month because he is desperate for big number go up to objectively prove the wicked haters and liars are wrong about how much he sucks

pulling the revisions from previous months into this month is 100% juicing the stats with no legitimate basis, yes

it would be correct to discount the new jobs added next month for the strikers returning and anyone who reports the headline number without doing that would be doing their readers a disservice. trump will, of course, but that's when he'll be lying, not when he's correcting the numbers for the strike now.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Deadspin was basically the best sports website on the internet. Greed isn’t good kids, it sucks.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ogmius815 posted:

Deadspin was basically the best sports website on the internet. Greed isn’t good kids, it sucks.

seriously the new owners didn't even have time to ruin it with greed. they just barged in and were like WE'RE RUNNING THIS SHOP NOW ALL YOU MORONS ARE GOING TO FOLLOW OUR INSTRUCTIONS, WHICH ARE DUMB AS ALL loving HELL (and these new owners are repeat failures in this industry) and then when the editors told them to stuff it, they had a union contract, engaged in basically a long-running war with the writers (chronicled on deadspin, lawl) until finally just firing the editor who refused to "stick to sports" on a dumb theory (belied by all of their data) that the sports posts were more profitable

and then everyone gave the owners the finger and quit. it was quite the self-own by the owners. they didn't even get a chance to run it into the ground, they destroyed it by being vain morons.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

evilweasel posted:

pulling the revisions from previous months into this month is 100% juicing the stats with no legitimate basis, yes

it would be correct to discount the new jobs added next month for the strikers returning and anyone who reports the headline number without doing that would be doing their readers a disservice. trump will, of course, but that's when he'll be lying, not when he's correcting the numbers for the strike now.

Whether to discount strikers returning or not surely depends on whether they were counted as jobs lost when the strike started?

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

sean10mm posted:

Last I checked Deadspin still had all their gently caress YOU articles still on the site because the scum who ran them off can't interweb lmao

I had to go check this and fuckin' lmao

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I remember earlier in the year there was something that said holiday retail jobs wouldn’t be as much as they were before just because of stores closing.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
It and SA were my two work-browsing designations. God loving dammit, corporate greed will take everything that is good in this world if we let it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

OddObserver posted:

Whether to discount strikers returning or not surely depends on whether they were counted as jobs lost when the strike started?

they are, that's why trump is adding them back into these numbers - because they were deducted out as jobs lost but we know now that they were not actually lost.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

OddObserver posted:

the strike report is sampled for the pay period which includes the 12th day of the month. it's a bit arbitrary but this is the measure by which the BLS counts who is on strike. so, while the strike is over in actuality, the BLS numbers are not intended to reflect that until next month, and for the purposes of the monthly jobs report the workers are still on strike and those jobs were lost for the month

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

It and SA were my two work-browsing designations. God loving dammit, corporate greed will take everything that is good in this world if we let it.

Are they going to start a new site? I assume this thread alone could collectively help them get off the ground.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Ogmius815 posted:

Did we ever get a real explanation of what the hell happened there?

Florida was when the thread started drinking bleach.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

seriously the new owners didn't even have time to ruin it with greed. they just barged in and were like WE'RE RUNNING THIS SHOP NOW ALL YOU MORONS ARE GOING TO FOLLOW OUR INSTRUCTIONS, WHICH ARE DUMB AS ALL loving HELL (and these new owners are repeat failures in this industry) and then when the editors told them to stuff it, they had a union contract, engaged in basically a long-running war with the writers (chronicled on deadspin, lawl) until finally just firing the editor who refused to "stick to sports" on a dumb theory (belied by all of their data) that the sports posts were more profitable

and then everyone gave the owners the finger and quit. it was quite the self-own by the owners. they didn't even get a chance to run it into the ground, they destroyed it by being vain morons.

The writers and editors have my total admiration that's for sure. The usual thing that happens when stupid management takeovers happen is people keep their head down and job search leading to a slow collapse as stupid decisions get implemented and experienced people leave.

Having the guts to basically moonwalk out so management can see the double birds is just amazing.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Florida is steadily marching back under the sea whence it came.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

RC Cola posted:

Are they going to start a new site? I assume this thread alone could collectively help them get off the ground.

you'd have to get the funding to start one up first, and the Gawker editorial staff always been a cantankerous group for the advertisement/business side of things to deal with so its really hard to see what would happen, they're not the type of group that thrives under an established media organization

Even when they were still an independent organization before the Hogan lawsuit settlement, the editor in chief and executive editor quit over management pulling an article where they outed a gay publishing executive at Conde Nast for hiring a gay prositute. The executive didn't really do anything public facing, PR wise or was there any sort of actual hypocrisy...they just decided to out him.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I did not know this existed, but given that Williams-Sonoma has managed to ruin two Christmases in a row for me, I now need to read it.

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-2018-ish-hater-s-guide-to-the-williams-sonoma-cata-1832646809

Drew Magary posted:

Drew says: Seventy-one pieces! What, do they toss in an air fryer as a free bonus, too? Listen man, unless I’m building a loving Ford Thunderbird from scratch, I shouldn’t need 71 pieces to make anything. I’m baking cookies here. What do I need? A bowl, a spoon, a cookie sheet, 56 lbs. of Crisco, sugar, chocolate chips, some flour… that’s about it. What percentage of these artisanal cookie implements are lost within a minute of opening the package? 85%? This kit is aimed squarely at people who overdo it at the cookie swap and just HAVE to blow everyone else out of the water. “Oh wow, Miffty wrapped her lavender ginger puffs in chiffon! That BITCH.”

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Besesoth posted:

Article III of Impeachment against Richard Nixon:

Nah, you were right the first time. @FuctUpMike's tweet read:

If we're talking about taxes, it's more like, here's fifty birthday cakes for me, and I'll have to share the last five.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rauros posted:

Florida was when the thread started drinking bleach.

I distinctly remember that. After 2016 I still couldn't trust any polling, and it just seemed like the whole country was ready to roll over for Trump after he got his tax cut package passed. I drank like a fish and hit the bed expecting to see how the whole thing was dead in the morning. I woke up to hearing about major wins, and all my friends who don't look at this stuff as closely thought I lost my mind.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the other funny thing was when all of the gnashing of teeth and rending of garments over the loss of arizona and montana turned around too

pity florida didn't as well

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

haveblue posted:

Just let me know where the patreon is, I'd kick a few bucks a month to nipsdaed.com if they can get most of the staff back together.

Nipsdaed sounds like a l33t breast cancer support website.

I'll show myself out.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Deadspin was the only website that covered the New York Mets with the anger at the ownership that I as a fan felt.

RIP.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
It's a slow news day and this is vaguely politics adjacent ....

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1190302036815953920?s=09

All shows so far scheduled near the southwest border. Except that big rear end paycheck from the festival owned by the Trump supporter.

Can't wait to see Paul Ryan in the VIP pit.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Minenfeld! posted:

Deadspin was the only website that covered the New York Mets with the anger at the ownership that I as a fan felt.

RIP.

As I Lions fan I will greatly miss the Your Team Sucks page for them every year. It gave us ZODIAC MOTHERFUCKER though so there is that

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Trump is upgrading to the ultimate grift, it appears

https://twitter.com/SecretsBedard/status/1190303297187524610?s=20

also the best way to hide income. he's literally moving to florida and becoming a megachurch pastor

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

also the best way to hide income. he's literally moving to florida and becoming a megachurch pastor

thats cool. please resign the presidency and gently caress off to Florida to surround yourself with sycophant olds Mr Trump everyone will love you for it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

FizFashizzle posted:

Transitioning from President of the United States to a televangelist

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

FizFashizzle posted:

It appears someone is deep down not confident about winning next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ummel posted:

It's a slow news day and this is vaguely politics adjacent ....

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1190302036815953920?s=09

All shows so far scheduled near the southwest border. Except that big rear end paycheck from the festival owned by the Trump supporter.

Can't wait to see Paul Ryan in the VIP pit.

Kinda sucks the air out of the second album that I assume Prophets Of Rage are putting together...