Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really wish there was a way to skip time. Sitting on a full two hours to kill until I can meet up with the person that has my gun and I've done all the sidequests I have.

Read your ledger cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really wish there was a way to skip time. Sitting on a full two hours to kill until I can meet up with the person that has my gun and I've done all the sidequests I have.

Check your ledger, you can read the case files there to skip time quickly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ahhh, thank you!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Fangz posted:

I fined Gary the Cryptofascist.

That's such a great bit. "I'm going to fine you. Kim, how do I fine someone?"

I didn't know you could arrest the techno kids, what kind monster would do that? But then, in my my run, I failed to ever figure out they were even making drugs. My logic was too low, even with all the blatant evidence.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I swear I'm going to play an rear end in a top hat drunk cop with max authority and logic on my 3rd go round. And I'm so drat afraid of doing it because this game hits all my feeling centers.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I've just gotten to the island 30 hours in, how far am I from the end?

I don't want this to end.

This is the best CRPG I've played for so long.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Songbearer posted:

You are at the end.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Begemot posted:

That's such a great bit. "I'm going to fine you. Kim, how do I fine someone?"

I didn't know you could arrest the techno kids, what kind monster would do that? But then, in my my run, I failed to ever figure out they were even making drugs. My logic was too low, even with all the blatant evidence.

You need to figure out they're making a Speed Lab, and then it just progresses from there.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

chaosapiant posted:

I swear I'm going to play an rear end in a top hat drunk cop with max authority and logic on my 3rd go round. And I'm so drat afraid of doing it because this game hits all my feeling centers.

Weirdly, I had really high authority on my first playthrough and it ended up being more useful than assholish. Authority sometimes gets kinda 'I AM THE LAW', but a high Authority also lets you read the room and have an instinctive understanding of hierarchy and of the actual limits of your authority, too. Authority is the one screaming at you not to gently caress with Titus too much on his own turf where he and his boys outnumber you significantly, for instance.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Songbearer posted:

you're right there at the end

just play it again with inverted stats, I went 2424 in my first run and this time I'm going 6231 and I've gotta say I'm enjoying Encyclopedia chiming in all the loving time a whole lot but I'd be amazed if it was actually helpful even once

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Night10194 posted:

Weirdly, I had really high authority on my first playthrough and it ended up being more useful than assholish. Authority sometimes gets kinda 'I AM THE LAW', but a high Authority also lets you read the room and have an instinctive understanding of hierarchy and of the actual limits of your authority, too. Authority is the one screaming at you not to gently caress with Titus too much on his own turf where he and his boys outnumber you significantly, for instance.

Kim, hand me your gun....

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I just know I want to play a loose cannon alcoholic loser who wrecks every life he comes into contact with because he's a completely malignant entity. But the idea of upsetting Kim is so drat upsetting.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Yeah every skill has such amazing insights into situations beyond their normal scope. Makes me wonder if I can do a modded max skill sightseeing replay.

Is there any situation where hard light is actually helpful?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I was about to start talking to a dude when ElectroChemistry chimed in with "wait, I see cigarettes on the ground over there between two trucks, you need them". Thanks EC!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Idia posted:

I had the same bug! I still had enough money to cover rent for the 1st day and the 2nd day but it's a bummer.

Yeah, I hoped it was a common issue with some kind of workaround. I guess I can just edit the save file like some people have suggested if you need money. It wouldn't even be cheating since the game owes me :).

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
On one hand I'm relieved I haven't missed too much unless there's something gigantic I overlooked since the OP said 60+ hours, on the other hand I am so, so sad this is gonna end. I'm 4/4/2/2 with maxed Empathy and I fully expected the quality of the writing to drop off after the first act of the game and it just hasn't. A game with this much writing, being so consistently good, having so much heart the entire way through is just something I never expected to see again. I'm so happy I got to play this.

I've played the game as a kind-hearted communist who constantly says strange and bizarre things but immediately goes into full-on Cop Mode when it comes to solving cases. I'll type up my thoughts when I've completed it, and I can definitely say that 30 hours is a good length for this game, but gently caress. I just want more. The writing, man. The writing!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Songbearer posted:

On one hand I'm relieved I haven't missed too much unless there's something gigantic I overlooked since the OP said 60+ hours, on the other hand I am so, so sad this is gonna end. I'm 4/4/2/2 with maxed Empathy and I fully expected the quality of the writing to drop off after the first act of the game and it just hasn't. A game with this much writing, being so consistently good, having so much heart the entire way through is just something I never expected to see again. I'm so happy I got to play this.

I've played the game as a kind-hearted communist who constantly says strange and bizarre things but immediately goes into full-on Cop Mode when it comes to solving cases. I'll type up my thoughts when I've completed it, and I can definitely say that 30 hours is a good length for this game, but gently caress. I just want more. The writing, man. The writing!

This impressed the hell out of me, the writing. The game actually escalates and ends just as strong, if not stronger, than when it begins. It's amazing and I'm having a hard time thinking of the last game that had writing of this level all the way through. Probably The Witcher 3 and maybe Planescape?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think Espirit d'Corps gets my vote for skill I didn't think would do anything that I ended up loving, though. Not just for the cop vignettes, or for being able to work together better with Kim. I really like how the skill itself actually develops real respect for Titus and his boys over the course of your interactions, and pretty much told me 'Yeah, this is a good man, doing the same job you're doing as best he can' in the end after the shootout.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Songbearer posted:

60 hours is a huge overestimate and I can only think they were talking about how long it'd take to see just about all the game has to offer. My first run was 30 hours and I really dug around and completed everything in my log.

Let it settle in your mind for awhile, then play again with a totally different archetype! I'm like 3 hours into my 2nd playthrough and I'm shocked at how much I missed with the other stats and how different conversations are. The hardest thing for me this playthrough is going to be letting Kim get shot so I can see what Jr Officer Cuno has to say to my so-called former partners and how frankly rude they are being

Really I can imagine anything but anything that means Kim hates me or gets hurt is the hardest thing to allow, really a testament to how incredible the writing and characters are

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Half-Light is the skill I put points into even though I didn't think it'd fit with my character at all, largely because as someone who had to deal with anger management issues they did a phenomenal job of making it crop up during exactly the moments you expect it, written exactly how you'd imagine it. Even more is that it's just beautifully nuanced: Half-Light is the primal, hurting-people skill, but it's also like a different approach to Empathy: It lets you know when you're shaking people down unintentionally and can actually help de-escalate a situation. I think it's really cool that you can have an otherwise goodhearted character with a bunch of internalised toxicity that you don't need to heed, but gives you those different perspectives. gently caress, people need to start dissecting this game.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Disargeria posted:

Yeah every skill has such amazing insights into situations beyond their normal scope. Makes me wonder if I can do a modded max skill sightseeing replay.

Is there any situation where hard light is actually helpful?

Half light gives its fair share of helpful advice ("separate one from the herd"), you just need to pick out the good stuff and disregard the paranoid nonsense. This is easier than you might think because the bad input it gives you is generally blatantly stupid; it's usually pretty simple to tell when you should shut it out and when you may want to listen. A skill like Rhetoric is wrong less often and less obviously, but that also means you might be less inclined to question it on the occasions it fucks up.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

chaosapiant posted:

why logic?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

half light is perfectly reasonable

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

also holy crap the cash saint. I talked him into investing, hopefully it doesn’t commit me to the capitalist route

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

also holy crap the cash saint. I talked him into investing, hopefully it doesn’t commit me to the capitalist route

you're a landlord now

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

The Saddest Rhino posted:

you're a landlord now

I’m actually pretty afraid of that but I already told rhetoric (I think) that I am ready to build communism and crack some eggs

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Just think of it as scamming a VC

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I'm trying a "do-nothing Lazycop" run starting on Day 3 and I'm up to Day 10 and nothing has happened. As far as major plot threads, I've found the bullet, opened the door for Evart, and haven't even spoken to the Hardie boys. Starting at Day 3 I unlocked the shack and have been wasting days reading the case ledger over and over; I can leave my mouse in one place and click through the Couch case over and over. I'm probably not going to go much further with this, but I am a little surprised that there isn't a fail state for something like this. I haven't talked to Joyce about the PMCs and the Tribunal, so there isn't any in-game indication that there is any kind of deadline or time limit, maybe that would trigger something?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Kim's voice actor interviewed in a podcast.

EDIT: And the full Escapist interview of Robert Kurvitz.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Robert seems to have a good head on his shoulders, though I wish they would hire a port shop and they need to sell the thought cabinet poster. The ZA/UM manifesto should be p p good

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I like that there's both an expansion and full sequel planned. This world needs as much exposure as possible and I want to consume all of it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

chaosapiant posted:

Probably The Witcher 3 and maybe Planescape?
Two The Witchers 3s as DE's script is more than twice as long while keeping its quality throughout.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

chaosapiant posted:

I just know I want to play a loose cannon alcoholic loser who wrecks every life he comes into contact with because he's a completely malignant entity.

Speak for yourself, I don’t think I could handle that much realism.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

This impressed the hell out of me, the writing. The game actually escalates and ends just as strong, if not stronger, than when it begins. It's amazing and I'm having a hard time thinking of the last game that had writing of this level all the way through. Probably The Witcher 3 and maybe Planescape?

Their greatest influence, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, of course.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 1, 2019

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Disargeria posted:

A cheated max stats run is hilarious because all the voices in your head are clamoring for attention and wasting so much time while you're trying to talk to people and you get to see which stats have priority in which multi-stat situations.

However you're also more likely to succeed at various checks that are more interesting to fail and that's just the price to pay for being a literally insane super genius polymath Hunter s. Thompson cop.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

No Mods No Masters posted:

The ZA/UM manifesto should be p p good

I really hope the stealth release their manifesto as the Disco Elysium expansion.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Did anyone else have trouble not getting shot when pressuring Titus to spill the beans? One of Harry's inner voices told me "Angus is the weak link, pressure him when the group seems weak," but that set me up to watch for him saying or doing something weird I could jump on- the final choice was always phrased for me as "Who do you look at before piling on the pressure," and I tried Kim and then Titus first, on the basis that the Kim being ready for trouble would help, and keeping an eye on Titus would let me spot trouble before he could tell his goons to jump us. I only tried Angus by process of elimination.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
So i'm still 4 hours from the end and have only just passed the point of no return and met ruby, so i may be way off here, but i'm starting to feel like the entire game is really about nothing. More accurately, how powerful and significant the complete absence of something can be. Not even talking about it's anti-centrist message, it's layered through every sub plot and tons of conversations - either played straight as the loss of something tangible or total oblivion with the pale and amnesia. maybe i'm over-reading it, or this is the subtle fascinations of the developers coming through.

Either way, it's making me think about that a lot in interesting ways from many different angles. I'm having a moment with it a bit like when I got towards the end of infinite jest and everything began to lock together.

I dont think i can rate this in my top/whatever games - it's in the same list as pynchon & up with infinite jest. Playing it as a game just feels like an extreme extension of david foster wallaces footnotes & end notes concept - a device designed to fragment the text and give the reader an experience of discovery and peeling back layers to make the part where it all comes together more powerful.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 1, 2019

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Dumb mechanics question: if you're at the cap for a skill (you've spent all the points on it you can based on the relevant attribute), and you then internalize a thought that gives a bonus to that skill, do you still gain the bonus, or does it do nothing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

sean10mm posted:

Dumb mechanics question: if you're at the cap for a skill (you've spent all the points on it you can based on the relevant attribute), and you then internalize a thought that gives a bonus to that skill, do you still gain the bonus, or does it do nothing?

You definitely still gain the bonus, this is why my Perception was great even if my other Motorics kinda sucked.