Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Eta on stickers November 13

Any suggestions for a good loitering space in SF? There aren't enough 50 story soulless concrete apartments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Shipon posted:

anyone who uses airbnb is basically a scab when you consider it's just a huge gentrification vector

use a loving hotel, priceline still exists. google results still return you hotel listings

It's kinda a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation:

Hotels:
Environmentally destructive
Corporate Monopolies
Often run on slave labor
Strategically located to ensure that tourist dollars don't go to locals

Airbnb:
Gentrification
higher rents for locals
Robbing cities of tax revenue

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

just sleep in the bus station like a normal person JESUS

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

El Mero Mero posted:

Hotels:
Corporate Monopolies
Often run on slave labor

Airbnb:
Gentrification
higher rents for locals

you say that like all those hotel points don’t apply to air bnb

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It's a crime against the proletariat to not post the response:

Prudie posted:

Dear 99,
In the urban neighborhood where I used to live, families who were not from the immediate area would come in fairly large groups to trick-or-treat on our streets, which were safe, well-lit, and full of people overstocked with candy. It was delightful to see the little mermaids, spider-men, ghosts, and the occasional axe murderer excitedly run up and down our front steps, having the time of their lives. So we’d spend an extra $20 to make sure we had enough candy for kids who weren’t as fortunate as ours. There you are, 99, on the impoverished side of Greenwich or Beverly Hills, with the other struggling lawyers, doctors, and business owners. Your whine makes me kind of wish that people from the actual poor side of town come this year not with scary costumes but with real pitchforks. Stop being callous and miserly and go to Costco, you cheapskate, and get enough candy to fill the bags of the kids who come one day a year to marvel at how the 1 percent live.

—Prudie

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

How can this person even tell they're poor kids, all kids Halloween costumes look kinda crummy no matter what you spen- oh wait it's code for black people isn't it, duh.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

"Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me."

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

How can this person even tell they're poor kids, all kids Halloween costumes look kinda crummy no matter what you spen- oh wait it's code for black people isn't it, duh.

Apart from that, poor people drive domestic cars that are embarrassingly old (like 10 years or more! Ughh gross) and they're not ashamed to drive a car that may have some cosmetic defects. Some children don't even have their costumes made by a professional seamstress and the costumes end up being very much below even B-movie quality. It's ghastly.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/rosadona/status/1190289055126360065?s=19

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I just bought some ingredients at the local grocery store. The guy running the register asked if he could bag my (uncooked) sausage with my lunch meat. I said sure.

He replied that "people have strange requests" and went on to recount a woman earlier in the day had roughly 30 items and asked that they be bagged individually AND double bagged. I'm guessing she has OCD or something similar, really, really hates the planet to use 60 one-time use bags, or really, really needs a bunch of plastic bags for something. Anyway, he did it "and it made her really happy."

American capitalism is wasting 60 bags instead of telling the woman "no, you rear end in a top hat, I'm not double bagging 30 individual items" because that might get you fired

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

I just bought some ingredients at the local grocery store. The guy running the register asked if he could bag my (uncooked) sausage with my lunch meat. I said sure.

He replied that "people have strange requests" and went on to recount a woman earlier in the day had roughly 30 items and asked that they be bagged individually AND double bagged. I'm guessing she has OCD or something similar, really, really hates the planet to use 60 one-time use bags, or really, really needs a bunch of plastic bags for something. Anyway, he did it "and it made her really happy."

American capitalism is wasting 60 bags instead of telling the woman "no, you rear end in a top hat, I'm not double bagging 30 individual items" because that might get you fired

american capitalism is firing that employee anyway for wasting $2 worth of plastic bags by asking the customer if they had a preference in the first place

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I find it weird that American grocery stores employ bag boys.

Only time will see poo poo like that where I am, is when scouts, or local school is looking to raise money so the kids help bag items and the customers give them a tip.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Marenghi posted:

I find it weird that American grocery stores employ bag boys.

Only time will see poo poo like that where I am, is when scouts, or local school is looking to raise money so the kids help bag items and the customers give them a tip.

I was a bag boy in high school. I also brought the groceries to their car and loaded the car for them. I had just two regulars that tipped me a buck, and it was a minimum wage job. If you're spending a dollar in america, you expect to be treated like a golden god. I always tipped when I moved back to town because it always made my day when i got one.

I always notice when I go to Aldi's the checkers are seated and i bag my own poo poo. It just isnt a "normal" thing in most american grocery stores (though I havent seen "full service," bring the groceries to your car anywhere other than the state I grew up in, though. it could be fairly common, but I dont do a ton of grocery shopping around the country)

Plank Walker posted:

american capitalism is firing that employee anyway for wasting $2 worth of plastic bags by asking the customer if they had a preference in the first place

lol true

Eat This Glob has issued a correction as of 18:48 on Nov 1, 2019

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

El Mero Mero posted:

Hotels:
Corporate Monopolies
Often run on slave labor

Airbnb:
Gentrification
higher rents for locals

alright i'll buy the environmentally destructive thing, but then again you can basically the same thing about a bunch of different landlords renting out units on airbnb. you can unionize hotel workers, so while it may be true that labor treatment is a persistent issue in the hotel business there's also room to agitate for workers rights. as for them being monopolies, hard to argue that when there are how many different chains run by different companies, as well as independent hotels. the tourist dollars not going to locals is tricky because you can easily say the same thing about airbnbs, no one who rents an airbnb in a gentrified neighborhood is spending money at some local bodega or whatever

hotels have problems they can and should be pressed on. airbnb and similar services, on the other hand, are entirely malignant presences and a threat to housing availability. it is far from a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. when it comes to businesses, bigger is better because the fewer businesses there are, the easier it is to organize workers within them and to push for regulations on them. it's really difficult to crack down on small businesses/gig economy types because everyone wants to concern troll about hurting "the small guy" when really, small business tyrants are every bit as evil as the people on boards of directors of fortune 500s.

Sanguinary Novel posted:

A place like this should be the universal basic housing. Like no matter what, you can live in a place like this for free.

Also micro apartments like this would be fine if there were more free public spaces, both indoor and outdoor. Give me a library on steroids to work in, thanks

place i rent is a 300 square feet studio and the unit itself is great. i don't need to buy a bunch of useless poo poo to fill up space. only thing that sucks is i live in a suburban hellscape and the closest place to buy any food or other goods from is a 30 minute walk and after midnight it closes so it's impossible to get anything after midnight without driving. they have a lovely bar that sells 3 awful trendy brews and no food or anything else though on the premises though.

Shipon has issued a correction as of 19:02 on Nov 1, 2019

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
10 50 story soulless concrete apartments and you can have a grocery store just for them

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Eat This Glob posted:

I was a bag boy in high school. I also brought the groceries to their car and loaded the car for them. I had just two regulars that tipped me a buck, and it was a minimum wage job. If you're spending a dollar in america, you expect to be treated like a golden god. I always tipped when I moved back to town because it always made my day when i got one.

I always notice when I go to Aldi's the checkers are seated and i bag my own poo poo. It just isnt a "normal" thing in most american grocery stores (though I havent seen "full service," bring the groceries to your car anywhere other than the state I grew up in, though. it could be fairly common, but I dont do a ton of grocery shopping around the country)

lol true

as far as lovely cashier jobs go aldis is pretty dope. they start at $12.75 (minimum here is $8.65) and you don’t have to stand all day for literally no reason. the bad part is they’re constantly understaffed so you have max 2 people ringing poo poo up for lines so long they’re spilling into the aisles.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that sounds terrible because it’ll be nothing but boomers sighing and making passive aggressive remarks about how you’re ruining their day because you, the cashier, don’t have more people on registers

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I've always been fascinated by baggers in America. I've never seen anything like it here

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Only one grocery store near me has "bag boys", and it's a small local place. None of the chains do that I'm aware of.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

We have Aldi's now so you can bring your own god dam bag and get the gently caress out fo the cashier's way.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

gey muckle mowser posted:

Only one grocery store near me has "bag boys", and it's a small local place. None of the chains do that I'm aware of.

The chains are going whole hog into self checkout let alone dedicated baggers

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My first real job was as a bagger and I was in a union!

We had enough baggers for about half the lanes and they would bounce around, but the "hard" part of the job was getting the carts in from the parking lot if it was raining or the lot was full of snow.

Now, a couple chains near me have one or two at a time. I think they use bagging as a way to give the people a little break from the heat outside getting carts without actually giving them, you know, a break.

Most places now are more like walmart where there are no baggers and fewer and fewer checkers

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The idea of employees dedicate to collecting trolleys is equally as bizarre as bag boys. Wh won't the customers return their god drat trolleys? Are they animals?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

have you never met an american?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

lol true

I was also a bag boy for a bit. The grocery store I worked for put up signs reminding customers not to tip us.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Accretionist posted:

Except unironically.

Just give me something cheap with it's own toilet.

You might be thinking, "But Acc, why would you want to live in a shithole?"

Trick question. I already live in a shithole. And with a few more rent increases, it'll be a $1k/mo. shithole

Sanguinary Novel posted:

A place like this should be the universal basic housing. Like no matter what, you can live in a place like this for free.

Also micro apartments like this would be fine if there were more free public spaces, both indoor and outdoor. Give me a library on steroids to work in, thanks

Serf posted:

yeah if you had a bunch of those hooked to a communal living space it wouldn't be bad at all. i don't need a lot of room to get by

We can and should expect way better than a loving closet as a universal housing right. These things are barely fit for people to live in as emergency accommodation, let alone long term.

Serf
May 5, 2011

bike tory posted:

We can and should expect way better than a loving closet as a universal housing right. These things are barely fit for people to live in as emergency accommodation, let alone long term.

i mean i guess if people want that it should be available too

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
So you want the stickers right? I'll give them out for free until I run out

Unless you don't live in the sfba

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

The idea of employees dedicate to collecting trolleys is equally as bizarre as bag boys. Wh won't the customers return their god drat trolleys? Are they animals?

duz posted:

have you never met an american?

It's one of those circular logic things. Like tipping, it's basically just cultural inertia where the primary justification for it's existence... is that it exists. People don't return carts because they know it's someone's job to do it anyway. Grocers don't want to get rid of cart collectors, because customers gotten to used to leaving their cart in the lot for decades.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Eat This Glob posted:

I always notice when I go to Aldi's the checkers are seated and i bag my own poo poo. It just isnt a "normal" thing in most american grocery stores (though I havent seen "full service," bring the groceries to your car anywhere other than the state I grew up in, though. it could be.

I was at Aldi last week when two ~60 year old women who had obviously never been to an Aldi before were bitching up a storm that they had to buy and bag their own poo poo.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Are [customers] animals?

No, because that degrades animals. Customers are subhuman balls of greed and entitlement.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chomp8645 posted:

It's one of those circular logic things. Like tipping, it's basically just cultural inertia where the primary justification for it's existence... is that it exists. People don't return carts because they know it's someone's job to do it anyway. Grocers don't want to get rid of cart collectors, because customers gotten to used to leaving their cart in the lot for decades.

Americans are just lazy as gently caress. I've seen carts that are just hanging out next to a cart return corral. They're not even full, like two carts in there, but because no one bothers to push them past the bar, apparently no one else can bother with it.

In the place I worked at most of the people working the carts were either high-school aged or had some issues dealing with the public. It was the position for "we can't really fire you, but we can't exactly put you anywhere else either."

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Serf posted:

i mean i guess if people want that it should be available too

The only people who would actively want to live in a space like that if something bigger were available are deluded libertarians and maybe people with sensory processing difficulties like some people on the autism spectrum. And apparently a few posters itt.

I hate to get all Foucault on this, but there's a reason prison architecture has the effects it does on people.

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

One of my currently employed part time jobs is at a grocer for about 12-20 hours a week depending on time of the year.

I bag much faster, efficiently filling whatever vessels wanted/required, whether reusable or plastic/paper bags, using far less than an untrained unskilled customer, getting them done and out of line to their vehicle, letting the lines flow faster. I return carts in one big group far faster collectively than individual customers slowly all returning single carts to the stock can, letting them gtfo and make room in the parking lot.

Basically I make the whole front end system function like a well oiled machine and if you fire me I swear to god those old ladies whining about having to push their own carts will descend upon you like geriatric valkyries.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Prison has the effects it has on peeps cuz you aren't allowed out of prison, friend

Place like that, you just do everything outside except sleepin fuckin and showerin

Serf
May 5, 2011

bike tory posted:

The only people who would actively want to live in a space like that if something bigger were available are deluded libertarians and maybe people with sensory processing difficulties like some people on the autism spectrum. And apparently a few posters itt.

I hate to get all Foucault on this, but there's a reason prison architecture has the effects it does on people.

uhhhh prison does that because you're stuck there. presumably i can leave my closet room and go to work, or the living room/kitchen, or the park or any number of places

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm totes down for a coffinpod, especially if I can get it with a nearby refectory and gigabit internet access. I am the ur goonette. Closet space, desktop PC, in unit bathroom and enough weed to hotbox my room 24/7.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I was going to ask why you don't have the little coin operated locks on carts. We've had them as long as I can remember here, and surprisingly people are fairly good at returning their carts when it's necessary to get their euro back.
But aren't all your coins worth less than a dollar?

Maybe you could operate them on a token system, buy a token for a dollar and use that for unlocking carts.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Marenghi posted:

I was going to ask why you don't have the little coin operated locks on carts. We've had them as long as I can remember here, and surprisingly people are fairly good at returning their carts when it's necessary to get their euro back.
But aren't all your coins worth less than a dollar?

Maybe you could operate them on a token system, buy a token for a dollar and use that for unlocking carts.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
pretty sure the whole not being able to afford rent thing has far worse effects on people than living in a studio apartment does.