Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

PhazonLink posted:

Vaguely related to the life span of a church question,

Isnt't the Westboro Bap Church experiencing a massive lost of influence/exposure after they lost their patriarch?
The media just got bored of them really. Westboro was never really a church. It was like a dozen people total at its peak. Just a weird little family cult that got the camera's attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

sexpig by night posted:

Many people say I, in fact, was treated as unfairly as him...
I'm pretty sure he's done basically this already, and recently.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
megachurches also generally work because they have some inspirational or affirming message. you have to mix in some hope with the grift, to convince people to hand over the money. just lecturing angrily about democrats isn't going to work all the time, you can pull off some fire and brimstone on occasion but the kind of churches that are just all angry all the time tend to be very small. another super popular grift is faith healing, which is the same thing alex jones does these days, and the reason his grift isn't as successful is that it's too defined by negatives rather than positives

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

"Me!"

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 1, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

luxury handset posted:

megachurches also generally work because they have some inspirational or affirming message. you have to mix in some hope with the grift, to convince people to hand over the money. just lecturing angrily about democrats isn't going to work all the time, you can pull off some fire and brimstone on occasion but the kind of churches that are just all angry all the time tend to be very small. another super popular grift is faith healing, which is the same thing alex jones does these days, and the reason his grift isn't as successful is that it's too defined by negatives rather than positives

yeah. i feel like it would fizzle out pretty fast and at some point he would openly declare himself the second coming(again but way more seriously) and or his brain will melt faster.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

FizFashizzle posted:

Trump is upgrading to the ultimate grift, it appears

https://twitter.com/SecretsBedard/status/1190303297187524610?s=20

also the best way to hide income. he's literally moving to florida and becoming a megachurch pastor

In the US, faith is the last refuge for grifters.

I expect it'll be riddled with money laundering.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
keep in mind that in 2004 (near to the top of the housing bubble), Deutche Bank assessed Trump's net worth as being $800 million. Trump claims that The Apprentice brought him ~$215 million. The Trump Org's finances are a complete black box, with state and municipal filings being the only visibility we have. I bet his net worth is tied up exclusively in property values that may or may not be fraudulently marked up so he can stay afloat on existing credit lines. We may look at the hundreds of millions in grift he's amassed as the result of his presidency as a giant sum of money, but his debt load may be so overwhelming that any sort of extended downturn will crush him. I mean, the guy ran his campaign on a small(ish) budget and he had to sell securities to fund some of the campaigning. Will be fascinating when this all unwinds

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
a trump sermon would just be him whining about how unfair life is to the ex-president millionaire son of a millionaire married to a model and the people living in shacks without proper plumbing or access to clean water will send him every dollar they have to help him :(

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

He conned his way into the presidency. That's pretty impressive. Sure it isn't as lucrative as a good Silicon Valley VC scam, but for style points it can't be beat.

I mean it wasn't like Republicans and chaos voters didn't know exactly what they were voting for. He wasn't tricking anyone who wasn't ready to hear any lie that was being told. It's not a great con to tell Fox listeners to do what they're being told to do 24/7.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The media just got bored of them really. Westboro was never really a church. It was like a dozen people total at its peak. Just a weird little family cult that got the camera's attention.

If I remember right, since Fred Phelps died a lot of the younger ones have broken away from it. There's been a lot of evidence and accusations of abuse, surprising absolutely loving nobody.

I'm still pissed that so many people only hate the WBC because they protested at soldiers' funerals, when up until that point they didn't give a poo poo about them protesting at gay people's funerals. Thanks for finally noticing that these guys were jackasses, America.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

luxury handset posted:

Just imagine Fox News, on Sunday morning, surrounded by hundreds of other people frothing in unison rage. But, like somebody pointed out earlier, if anybody can make it go bankrupt, it'd be Trump.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Trump won't be giving sermons. His grifter buddies are going to license his trademark like his grifter buddies have always done. He'll get his cut and a portrait right next to Jesus in the foyer.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Trump is upgrading to the ultimate grift, it appears

https://twitter.com/SecretsBedard/status/1190303297187524610?s=20

also the best way to hide income. he's literally moving to florida and becoming a megachurch pastor

This is going to be his post-Presidency source of rally-praise endorphin shots. What are the chances Trump doesn't yet understand that it's not supposed to be him at the center of worship?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

luxury handset posted:

Someone just need to teach him the 14 words and point a camera at him and Trump Org is good to go.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Kaal posted:

I mean it wasn't like Republicans and chaos voters didn't know exactly what they were voting for. He wasn't tricking anyone who wasn't ready to hear any lie that was being told. It's not a great con to tell Fox listeners to do what they're being told to do 24/7.
That's the point of a con. You don't convince anyone, you let them convince themselves. Because once they do they're in 110%.

We can agree to disagree, but I think in this case you do gotta hand it to 'em.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
People keep acting like Trump personally is going to start a megachurch, but the grift will more likely be that he sort of starts one and then, since evangelicals love him so much, licenses out the name to megachurches across the nation.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

yeah, the perspective on the WBC shifted from "man these assholes are nuts!" to "oh look, it's these assholes again"

they never were that big to begin with, they were just extraordinarily loud and visible. iirc fred phelps' daughter, shirley phelps-roper, was a big leader in the whole let's be titanic dicks for jesus strategy, and she was pressured eventually to step down probably due to weird internal politics around being a mouthy woman in a repressive church. also many of the phelps children noped out of the church when they became adults so it's hard to keep up that momentum when your own kids cut you off asap

this kind of ties into previous thread discussion around whether hateful people with inexcusable politics can be redeemed. megan phelps-roper was interviewed in 2006/2007 by louis theroux

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjZkUJPBfPc

she later left the church and is now outspoken against her former beliefs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5ft-TP0j6Q

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
So, you guys may remember how North Carolina Republicans lied, and did a vote in the house to pass an override of Governor Roy Cooper's budget veto with a number of Democrats not present. Now, the Senate can block it, but ONLY IF EVERY SINGLE D SENATOR IS THERE.

Welp,

The Democrats are all showing up, every day, to make sure that they can't sneak through a budget override that is already basically against the will of the electorate. And the Republicans keep FAKING RECESS IN THE HOPES THAT DEMOCRATS LEAVE THE BUILDING so they can start up a vote again real quick.

The Senate Dems aren't trusting them at all, but there's a real chance they won't be able to do this perfectly long enough to matter.

edit: as far as I can tell, one Senate D being hospitalized on a weekday could easily gently caress us

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 1, 2019

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

People keep acting like Trump personally is going to start a megachurch, but the grift will more likely be that he sort of starts one and then, since evangelicals love him so much, licenses out the name to megachurches across the nation.
Franchising is the big grift behind most of the megachurches. Running a crooked church is work, and only dopes work.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mooseontheloose posted:

The irony is so rich, it's a billionaire.The Faternal Order of Police came out against the impeachment

Why?

unfair Due Process

police are always very, very interested in due process when one of their own gets accused of abuse of power

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

theflyingorc posted:

So, you guys may remember how North Carolina Republicans lied, and did a vote in the house to pass an override of Governor Roy Cooper's budget veto with a number of Democrats not present. Now, the Senate can block it, but ONLY IF EVERY SINGLE D SENATOR IS THERE.

Welp,

The Democrats are all showing up, every day, to make sure that they can't sneak through a budget override that is already basically against the will of the electorate. And the Republicans keep FAKING RECESS IN THE HOPES THAT DEMOCRATS LEAVE THE BUILDING so they can start up a vote again real quick.

The Senate Dems aren't trusting them at all, but there's a real chance they won't be able to do this perfectly long enough to matter.

That kind of thing is really disheartening. It's blindingly obvious that Republicans are bad in every measurable way, dishonest and dishonorable and power-hungry and just Saturday morning cartoon *evil*, but conservative 'trigger the libs' tribalism is so strong they'll never suffer any repercussions for it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

LaserShark posted:

That kind of thing is really disheartening. It's blindingly obvious that Republicans are bad in every measurable way, dishonest and dishonorable and power-hungry and just Saturday morning cartoon *evil*, but conservative 'trigger the libs' tribalism is so strong they'll never suffer any repercussions for it.

I get it if there's some unjustice being done by the bill - if an evil thing is being done, fighting with every ounce of strength to stop the bill makes sense. But...it's budget cuts.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

theflyingorc posted:

Welp,

edit: as far as I can tell, one Senate D being hospitalized on a weekday could easily gently caress us

Do any legislatures in the world have rules against this sort of abuse of otherwise valid procedure? We need it desperately.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Madkal posted:

Some people say this Jesus guy was persecuted but compared to me he had it easy. Let me tell you, no one has been more crucified than me.

I like messiahs that weren't captured.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

There Bias Two posted:

Do any legislatures in the world have rules against this sort of abuse of otherwise valid procedure? We need it desperately.

Who would enforce it?

At the end of the day, there's not much you can do when half your population is fine with corruption, as long as it's in their favor.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

eke out posted:

there's a supreme court case from a few years ago about whether a fish is a "tangible object"

the ruling split 4-4-1

quote:

By a 5-to-4 vote, the Court stated that the term "tangible object" as used in this section means an object used to record or preserve information, and that this did not include fish

my diabolical plot to keep my records of crimes inscribed in fish is vindicated

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

There Bias Two posted:

You know all of those bizarre rules in the Senate about scheduling of votes, and minimum amount of time for debating bills? Its to prevent (or atleast reduce) poo poo like this

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I have such hatred for gay republicans/trump supporters

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1190335038459527168

quote:

Today, the Trump Administration issued a proposed rule that would strip existing protections for sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, religion, and for individuals in same-sex marriages in all programs and grants administered by Health and Human Services.”

The Department of Health & Human Services went public on Friday with the regulation, which will undo an Obama-era policy prohibiting discrimination discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation among federal grantees. The proposed regulation, which will have far-reaching implications, was immediately was criticized by LGBT rights supporters. Julie Kruse, director of federal policy at Family Equality Council, said in a statement the policy was “outrageous,” especially at the start of National Adoption Month.

“The American public overwhelmingly opposes allowing taxpayer-funded adoption and foster care agencies to turn away qualified parents simply because they are in a same-sex relationship,” Kruse said. According to NCTE, the rule will allow anti-trans discrimination in HIV and STI prevention programs, opioid programs, youth homelessness services, health professional training, substance-use recovery programs and other life-saving services.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've said it before and I'll say it again, states are a loving joke. Abolish states, break America into like, I dunno, three countries.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GreyjoyBastard posted:

my diabolical plot to keep my records of crimes inscribed in fish is vindicated

Your honor, I would like to remind you that evidence stored in the fossil record is inadmissible, so how can you claim I stole the dinosaur bones when you aren't allowed to seize them?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

That's the point of a con. You don't convince anyone, you let them convince themselves. Because once they do they're in 110%.

We can agree to disagree, but I think in this case you do gotta hand it to 'em.

I hear what you're saying. I just don't see it as particularly exceptional. It's a con that Fox has been doing every day for decades. If it wasn't Don, it would be someone else.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
For a state legislature the rules about what configurations of members are allowed to conduct business would be part of the state constitution. Thus, they would be amenable to change via any of the common avenues for that sort of thing.

sexpig by night posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, states are a loving joke. Abolish states, break America into like, I dunno, three countries.

Jon Stewart used to call them "meth labs of democracy".

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kaal posted:

Kaal posted:

I hear what you're saying. I just don't see it as particularly exceptional. It's a con that Fox has been doing every day for decades. If it wasn't Don, it would be someone else.

Exactly. Fundamentally, the GOP base wanted a loud racist rear end in a top hat, because they hate :decorum: just as much as lefty goons, and Trump gave that to them just by being himself.

In that respect he was always completely sincere - he couldn't engage in the smarmy song-and-dance of "Respectable Republicanism" even if he wanted to. He already was what those kind of people wanted all along. Maybe the one smart thing Bannon ever said was to "let Trump be Trump" because his appeal was just being a huge piece of poo poo out in the open. Trying to temper his outbursts of evil stupidity missed the entire point of his appeal.

Also there's no evidence Trump even had any kind of strategy or plan behind what he did in 2015-16, not even in the most rudimentary "This is how you run a three-card Monte scam" sense. He lied a lot, but he lied at random in all directions and none of it added up to anything - but that never mattered anyway, because he was "one of them" - in the sense of being a huge loving rear end in a top hat racist. Which was all they ever really cared about.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

sexpig by night posted:

:hmmyes:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

sexpig by night posted:

Sweet Sexpig by Night and Hella Bakunin.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

sexpig by night posted:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
e: wrong thread

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

oxsnard posted:

keep in mind that in 2004 (near to the top of the housing bubble), Deutche Bank assessed Trump's net worth as being $800 million. Trump claims that The Apprentice brought him ~$215 million. The Trump Org's finances are a complete black box, with state and municipal filings being the only visibility we have. I bet his net worth is tied up exclusively in property values that may or may not be fraudulently marked up so he can stay afloat on existing credit lines. We may look at the hundreds of millions in grift he's amassed as the result of his presidency as a giant sum of money, but his debt load may be so overwhelming that any sort of extended downturn will crush him. I mean, the guy ran his campaign on a small(ish) budget and he had to sell securities to fund some of the campaigning. Will be fascinating when this all unwinds

We already have Cohen going on record saying that when Trump made a bid to buy the Buffalo Bills he presented bullshit property values to DB in order to obtain a loan. If he did it once, it's standard operating procedure for him. He also claimed $4 billion of his net worth was the value of his "brand," which clearly isn't so valuable if they keep pulling his name down off of properties.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/27/business/donald-trump-buffalo-bills-deutsche-bank.html

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

"The greatest ally to L.G.B.T..............Q people"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

We already have Cohen going on record saying that when Trump made a bid to buy the Buffalo Bills he presented bullshit property values to DB in order to obtain a loan. If he did it once, it's standard operating procedure for him. He also claimed $4 billion of his net worth was the value of his "brand," which clearly isn't so valuable if they keep pulling his name down off of properties.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/27/business/donald-trump-buffalo-bills-deutsche-bank.html

this article has even more info: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/18/business/trump-deutsche-bank.html

the fact that Trump was scrounging around for $50 million dollar loans less than a decade ago doesn't exactly inspire confidence that he's worth many billions of dollars