Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

stevewm posted:

We are installing IP cameras at one of our locations.. We have an employee pulling the wire. They took the long (but easy) path to one camera pull. So one camera ended up being at the end of a 387ft run of CAT5e. Surprisingly it works fine! 100Mbps link, switch shows no errors on the port. It does show higher wattage than all the others. (6.6 vs 4 typical) but I guess that is to be expected.
Running beyond spec is certainly not surprising. The actual technical limitation was based on timing for collision detection. Like the 5-4-3 rule that those who have been networking things long enough might recall, it only actually matters in hub-based networks where collisions are a possibility. You needed to be sure that the beginning of a frame had physically reached all endpoints within the amou In a modern switched network the actual distance limit is a lot fuzzier and depends on the capabilities of the equipment at both ends plus the quality of the wire itself. If neither device is reporting errors, technically you should be fine, though it will likely be more prone to interference if near any RFI sources.

There are devices called ethernet extenders that are basically a two port switch with PoE passthrough that could be useful if you care about putting this run in-spec. Stick it somewhere in the middle and you're suddenly dealing with two 194ish foot runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Probably the quickest way to wind me up is to come to me with a problem that you declare to be urgent and very important to resolve, I work on the problem for a bit, ask you to verify the fix, and the best you're able to commit to is "I did some quick tests and it seems OK", then say nothing for close to a month before blowing up again about how your issue was ignored and you've had to work around a problem and how inconvenient it is.

gently caress you. If you can't be bothered with testing that something is actually resolved and then feeding back, don't pretend it matters to you.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

stevewm posted:

We are installing IP cameras at one of our locations.. We have an employee pulling the wire. They took the long (but easy) path to one camera pull. So one camera ended up being at the end of a 387ft run of CAT5e. Surprisingly it works fine! 100Mbps link, switch shows no errors on the port. It does show higher wattage than all the others. (6.6 vs 4 typical) but I guess that is to be expected.

Your employee sucks assuming he knows this is out of spec and has the tooling . Don’t do this to yourself .

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

wolrah posted:

Running beyond spec is certainly not surprising. The actual technical limitation was based on timing for collision detection. Like the 5-4-3 rule that those who have been networking things long enough might recall, it only actually matters in hub-based networks where collisions are a possibility. You needed to be sure that the beginning of a frame had physically reached all endpoints within the amou In a modern switched network the actual distance limit is a lot fuzzier and depends on the capabilities of the equipment at both ends plus the quality of the wire itself. If neither device is reporting errors, technically you should be fine, though it will likely be more prone to interference if near any RFI sources.

There are devices called ethernet extenders that are basically a two port switch with PoE passthrough that could be useful if you care about putting this run in-spec. Stick it somewhere in the middle and you're suddenly dealing with two 194ish foot runs.

Your employee sucks and that is likely not to NEC code or TIA .

Partycat posted:

Your employee sucks assuming he knows this is out of spec and has the tooling . Don’t do this to yourself .

And technically you are out of spec. There are power loss issues, signal voltage issues, and it not working with future tech issues that come with doing it wrong now . NEC probably doesn’t let you sling whatever through the ceilings either .

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Bob Morales posted:

Does anyone have stories about working for Ellucian?

I was hired as a consultant there and was removed from the contract because I “didn’t fit in with the culture” which is code for “asked too many questions”

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Bob Morales posted:

Does anyone have stories about working for Ellucian?

My girlfriend heard a talk by their CEO lady today, and it made her google the lady. Her comment was "of course she worked for oracle and is on the board of Monsanto". :v: Granted, that doesn't answer your question, but it's a good coincidence.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
According to their website, they're hosting their next conference in Orlando. In April.

If you've never had heat-stroke, you should definitely talk to them.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Hollow Talk posted:

A simple question by a customer lead to "poo poo that pisses you off" inception for me today. The request was: "Hey, can you remove the thousands separators from all Tableau dashboards on the server, Excel can't deal with them".

Layers:

- I didn't build these dashboards, you did.
- Changing the formatting means downloading the dashboard, changing the formatting for each measure, then uploading the thing. Emphasis on "all dashboards". You could just set this when you build the thing.
- Your company pays a bunch of money for Tableau, and a bunch more for us to integrate data etc. so you can work with it in Tableau or via SQL. You download everything to Excel, and even there, you can't deal with it.
- You do sales forecasting in Excel, but apparently can't figure out how to change a field in Excel to a number after you import the CSV crosstab download Tableau offers you.
- You do sales forecasting and analysis in Excel, but you can't figure out how make a pivot table in Excel after you import the other CSV download Tableau offers, which has the data without any formatting.
- You cannot use "find and replace" to change a bunch of commas into literally anything else.
- You want it fixed immediately.

:wtc:

He created the dashboards and is then downloading the data into excel to do forecasting?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

/Me looks at the Analysis > Forecasting option in tableau

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Partycat posted:

Your employee sucks and that is likely not to NEC code or TIA .

NEC probably doesn’t let you sling whatever through the ceilings either .

It's low voltage, NEC doesn't really care. Only real code concern is fire code which probably requires the cable sheathing to be plenum rated.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Partycat posted:

I'm fine with it. Even the "short" path would have likely still have been "out of spec". Its not a critical camera. If it has problems, we will figure out how to add one of those PoE "booster" switches somewhere.

The long run was through the second floor of a former horse stable built sometime in the late 1800s. There isn't anything code compliant about the entire building, much less the long Ethernet run.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Love reading LinkedIn comments. Why do people post their insane political rants on that site? And then go into their own comments like "hey guys this got a little wild why can't we all just get along? This is a professional work site!!!". What did you expect to happen?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

PBS posted:

He created the dashboards and is then downloading the data into excel to do forecasting?

easier to fudge numbers in Excel!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

stevewm posted:

I'm fine with it. Even the "short" path would have likely still have been "out of spec". Its not a critical camera. If it has problems, we will figure out how to add one of those PoE "booster" switches somewhere.

The long run was through the second floor of a former horse stable built sometime in the late 1800s. There isn't anything code compliant about the entire building, much less the long Ethernet run.

These are dirt cheap and will do the job https://mikrotik.com/product/gper

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

PBS posted:

Well yes, because doing it in the underlying DWH (Redshift), doing it in Tableau, exporting data via Tableau Server, or asking for raw data via export/dump are obviously silly ideas.

Fried Watermelon posted:

easier to fudge numbers in Excel!

Does incompetence count as "fudging"?

ConfusedUs posted:

/Me looks at the Analysis > Forecasting option in tableau

Clearly you are hallucinating.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

These are dirt cheap and will do the job https://mikrotik.com/product/gper

Hey thanks... bookmarked.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Bigass Moth posted:

Love reading LinkedIn comments. Why do people post their insane political rants on that site? And then go into their own comments like "hey guys this got a little wild why can't we all just get along? This is a professional work site!!!". What did you expect to happen?

Some guy who got fired from where I work a few months back shared an honest to god boomer meme with Greta Thunberg and a caption about how hard boomers worked to get where they are and that millenials can't even figure out their genders or some such condescending bullshit. I think this guy had like +50% sick days. I considered responding, but in the end figured it was probably better to leave the hornets' nest alone and just removed him from my network.

I think what baffles me the most is how you work in IT and don't understand the difference between LinkedIn and Facebook

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Pissing me off: Outlook for iOS updated yesterday and now it doesnt sync with exchange. Apparently not being able to read your email is a “feature enhancement”.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Joda posted:

Some guy who got fired from where I work a few months back shared an honest to god boomer meme with Greta Thunberg and a caption about how hard boomers worked to get where they are and that millenials can't even figure out their genders or some such condescending bullshit. I think this guy had like +50% sick days. I considered responding, but in the end figured it was probably better to leave the hornets' nest alone and just removed him from my network.

I think what baffles me the most is how you work in IT and don't understand the difference between LinkedIn and Facebook

What baffles me, are people that have Facebook connections with coworkers, bitch voluminously about their jobs, and think because their feed is set to private and they aren't friended with a supervisor that none of their rants get back to management.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

5er posted:

What baffles me, are people that have Facebook connections with coworkers, bitch voluminously about their jobs, and think because their feed is set to private and they aren't friended with a supervisor that none of their rants get back to management.

I used to work for a law firm that defended insurance companies. Can't tell you how many times people with "10 out of 10" pain and five figures in chiropractic bills were posting their pictures from white water kayaking in Belize.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

DropsySufferer posted:

I have a coworker that can drive me crazy somedays. He old 50s? 2 years seniority. He yells at me and tells me what to do once a week maybe. Its loving annoying. Boss caught him today and told to him to cut it out.

No real HR so no solution there. Should mention we are alone together often by the nature of the job that’s when he does it. Otherwise easy just be near other coworkers who would shut him down.

This guy wants a reaction. I’ve yelled back and he knows how the play the game and turn it around on me.

So I’ve tried ignoring him. But it builds end of the day.

I’m thinking ways to beat him at his game. He never uses foul language or anything. Recording it wouldn’t help.

My idea now is the next time he starts literally call anyone mom friend off work an 1800 any drat thing.

He does this to everyone but he’s the biggest rear end in a top hat in tone to me. I’ll take any suggestions but unless I catch him doing something illegal management isn’t getting involved.

I need to beat him at his own game or think outside the box the phone idea is that.

Just smile and say “Ok boomer”
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1073331

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

50 year olds aren't Boomers. They are Gen X.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 1, 2019

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

50 year olds are aren't Boomers. They are Gen X.

Doesn't matter any more. The generation names are stupid.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

bull3964 posted:

50 year olds aren't Boomers. They are Gen X.

OK boomer

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boomer doesn't mean boomer generation anymore, it's just anyone that's older than you and does something stupid.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wait are you in Australia? This changes how you use boomer

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Boomer doesn't mean boomer generation anymore, it's just anyone that's older than you and does something stupid.

Correction: anyone who's older than you, says fygm poo poo and is condescending about the 'state of the younger generation'

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

stevewm posted:

Sorry for being harsh on this one , that was unnecessary but I let the “pissing me off” leak through. This has been an endlessly annoying issue to deal with at my shop. NFPA/NEC do care about conduit fill rates, cable pathways, etc and the amount of cabling that needs to be ripped and replaced for being improperly installed is nutty.

We have had to go to an end customer and say hey need to move your equipment or pay for more infrastructure, it can’t be here any more with this 150 meter run. Those PoE two port switches or bridges are a problem solver tool, sure, but are something I guess you need to be aware of that it’s there, where it is, etc. I can’t do that in enterprise, and wish “IT guy” MSP/contractors wouldn’t do it either like it ain’t no thang as it’s a pain later.

But yes the call out was undeserved, sorry.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

porkface posted:

OK boomer

Rekt.

Our password manager is dropping random connections to the DC causing ldap queries to fail or managed passwords to randomly get reset. I wouldn't say it's a 5-alarm fire, but it's goddamn annoying.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Found a network device with Telnet enabled. The amount of paperwork I need to do to disable it takes several hours, the actual technical part several seconds.

Why hasn't anyone invented an IT framework that satisfies regulators but doesn't cripple productivity?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Because regulators cripple creativity

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
It takes me 4 hours just to compile the weekend maintenance list and it can’t be automated until next year because we are moving to a brand new servicenow instance. Efficiency!

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
I got texted on Tuesday morning by a coworker asking if I could reset another users password as she had locked herself out the night before.

That user is not in his department, did not start work for another 30 minutes, and had already been texted by me the night before with a temporary password. I had also sent an email to both her managers letting them know, as I had Tuesday booked as holiday and didnt want to be woken up.

I completely lost my poo poo - I got so angry I was physically sick, ended up typing a draft email to send to the Directors saying I was quitting on the spot (thankfully my partner calmed me down before I sent it) and generally just raged for a few hours. This coworker has a habit of getting involved in things that do not concern him, and I was already annoyed at him for trying to investigate things himself instead of coming to me - he spent about 6 hours the previous week trying to figure out why an order had missed its delivery window. He finally came to me about it and within 30 seconds I had audited the database and found the cause.

I phoned up the Directors after a couple of hours and basically ranted about everything - what happened with that coworker, other departments not bothering to note down any information when reporting issues, other members of staff thinking it is fine to call/text/facebook message me about work issues when I am on holiday. They agreed that things need to change (have heard that before) and I could take the rest of the week off to calm down.

Problem is, every time I think about that coworker, I get angry again. I am genuinely not looking forward to going back on Monday, as I do not think I can keep my cool if he tries to talk to me. I don't think I could even keep it professional - I am sick of him coming in to my office stinking of body odor and cigarettes or having to listen to his bullshit stories when I walk past his department.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Whipstickagostop posted:

I got texted on Tuesday morning by a coworker asking if I could reset another users password as she had locked herself out the night before.

That user is not in his department, did not start work for another 30 minutes, and had already been texted by me the night before with a temporary password. I had also sent an email to both her managers letting them know, as I had Tuesday booked as holiday and didnt want to be woken up.

I completely lost my poo poo - I got so angry I was physically sick, ended up typing a draft email to send to the Directors saying I was quitting on the spot (thankfully my partner calmed me down before I sent it) and generally just raged for a few hours. This coworker has a habit of getting involved in things that do not concern him, and I was already annoyed at him for trying to investigate things himself instead of coming to me - he spent about 6 hours the previous week trying to figure out why an order had missed its delivery window. He finally came to me about it and within 30 seconds I had audited the database and found the cause.

I phoned up the Directors after a couple of hours and basically ranted about everything - what happened with that coworker, other departments not bothering to note down any information when reporting issues, other members of staff thinking it is fine to call/text/facebook message me about work issues when I am on holiday. They agreed that things need to change (have heard that before) and I could take the rest of the week off to calm down.

Problem is, every time I think about that coworker, I get angry again. I am genuinely not looking forward to going back on Monday, as I do not think I can keep my cool if he tries to talk to me. I don't think I could even keep it professional - I am sick of him coming in to my office stinking of body odor and cigarettes or having to listen to his bullshit stories when I walk past his department.

Sir, this is an Arby's

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Schadenboner posted:

Sir, this is an Arby's

Wrong! This is the thread where you get to post your rants.

That said, in response to the post, it sounds like the entire way people interact with IT needs to be changed. The way yo start with this is enforce the ticket policy. Everything is tickets. If you message me directly I ignore you. If you stop me in the hallway or come to my desk my response is “did you open a ticket?” Nothing gets done without a ticket. Nobody should be contacting anyone directly about any requests. If the ticket is a priority (a real priority) it will be dealt with in a timely manner. If your issue is not in a ticket is it really an issue?

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Wrong! This is the thread where you get to post your rants.

That said, in response to the post, it sounds like the entire way people interact with IT needs to be changed. The way yo start with this is enforce the ticket policy. Everything is tickets. If you message me directly I ignore you. If you stop me in the hallway or come to my desk my response is “did you open a ticket?” Nothing gets done without a ticket. Nobody should be contacting anyone directly about any requests. If the ticket is a priority (a real priority) it will be dealt with in a timely manner. If your issue is not in a ticket is it really an issue?

I've already asked people to start logging issues via email over the past few months. I don't mind people stopping me in the hallway or coming to my desk to report an issue, just as long as it is followed up by an email.

But that doesn't stop people sending me an email saying poo poo like "an error came up on my screen" - no error message, no screen shot, nothing. Or even worse, just not telling me at all.
We had an issue with our phone system recently where users calls would instantly fail when dialing out. Our telecoms company came out twice, and each time they said it was fixed, I asked various departments to let me know if it happens again. Each time, I would ask every few days and would be told all is fine. After a month or so, it would happen to a Director, who would mention it to me and without fail, any members of staff within earshot would pipe up "oh yeah that has happened to me too!".
This actually happened again this Wednesday - I got CCed into an email chain with our Director and the Technical Director of our telecoms company. I was in the gym at the time, trying to relax after the events of Tuesday morning. The plus side of that was after a 30 minute phonecall in the locker room, one of the Directors is now aware in explicit detail of this situation, the situation with the member of staff taking it upon himself to text me on Tuesday as well as other members of staff contacting me directly on my personal phone/facebook/snapchat (I actually had a member of staff send me a snapchat of her locked out AD account once when I was away at a training course).

I will be sitting down to have a meeting with them next week. I plan to request they email all department heads telling them to remove my personal number from their phones. I think I might ask for a dual-SIM phone too, so I can have a dedicated work number that I will turn off at 5pm each day. Not sure how I will deal with the issue of people not reporting/under reporting things to me though. If they can't be bothered to send an email, they sure as hell wont fill out a ticket.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Pissing me off: Being reminded that I have to put in "more detail" when completing a 100% straightforward task.

"Factory reset these ~30 old Blackberries so we can recycle them" isn't a task that needs a detailed report when I'm done doing it. I did it, it took me this long, end.

Whipstickagostop posted:

If they can't be bothered to send an email, they sure as hell wont fill out a ticket.

If they can't be bothered to fill out a ticket, then they must not be having much of a problem.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

dragonshardz posted:

If they can't be bothered to fill out a ticket, then they must not be having much of a problem.

If anyone asks about an ongoing problem they haven’t reported yet always ask for the ticket number so you can recheck the issue. It is very satisfying to respond to a department head ranting about an ongoing issue in front of the big boss with “Can you give me the ticket number so I can check on the status of the issue?” Only for them to admit they have never filed a ticket and for the boss to ask them why this is the first time anyone has heard about it if it is such a big issue.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thanatosian posted:

I used to work for a law firm that defended insurance companies. Can't tell you how many times people with "10 out of 10" pain and five figures in chiropractic bills were posting their pictures from white water kayaking in Belize.

To be fair, chiropractic is entirely fake, and all practitioners are at best oblivious to the fakeness and happen to have picked up real physical therapy skills. They will gladly hand out 5 figure bills for things they pretend to see on x-rays without you having to get them in on your own personal scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Varkk posted:

If anyone asks about an ongoing problem they haven’t reported yet always ask for the ticket number so you can recheck the issue. It is very satisfying to respond to a department head ranting about an ongoing issue in front of the big boss with “Can you give me the ticket number so I can check on the status of the issue?” Only for them to admit they have never filed a ticket and for the boss to ask them why this is the first time anyone has heard about it if it is such a big issue.

I wish this is what we got. We more get "well, why isn't it fixed yet?"

My boss' boss talked about "trying not to focus so much around everything needing a ticket." I've been in this place for over three years, and the whole time "they need to submit tickets" has been the department line (even if it didn't always get followed). I'm hoping this is just something she mentioned without really thinking through, and isn't genuinely thinking of pushing the department in that direction.