Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
The heads are a mix of those WE ones, Statuesque, and FW Escher and Orlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

GSC Atalan Jackals:

These are so freaking good.

10/10.

Ughhhh so good

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
*extremely Patrick Bateman voice*

Oh my god, it even has mud on the tires

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Keep us updated! An efficient bone and contrast approach to bugs seems awesome!

WIP. I don't like the gun and need to find a way to isolate the claws from the ground.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

WIP. I don't like the gun and need to find a way to isolate the claws from the ground.

Maybe some gooey brown right where the gaunt is stepping like it's cracking through the surface? That would be if you're sticking with that basing scheme.

Alternatively you could introduce a third color for the claws, maybe a dark grey. Hive fleet Leviathan uses a third color to distinguish them - purple chitin but red claws/hooves.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Maybe some gooey brown right where the gaunt is stepping like it's cracking through the surface? That would be if you're sticking with that basing scheme.

Alternatively you could introduce a third color for the claws, maybe a dark grey. Hive fleet Leviathan uses a third color to distinguish them - purple chitin but red claws/hooves.

Yeah I had some feedback about using a third color, and I think black or dark gray would be ideal. I did a quick experiment and it seems pretty viable.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Glossy black has my vote.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah I had some feedback about using a third color, and I think black or dark gray would be ideal. I did a quick experiment and it seems pretty viable.

Big fan of eshin for tyranid bioweapons over here, just have to go a bit liberal with the drubrushing to make it pop more against a colorful main body.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tried black. Not sure.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I like it.

In unrelated news, I bought and assembled a Wraithknight today. Gonna cut some Imperial Knights in half. :dance:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Tried black. Not sure.

That's better than the red.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Tried black. Not sure.

I don’t like the black bottom feet claws.

I really like your bug red and bone combo.

I think the problem is you made your base the same color as the bug. I had kind of the same feedback for your royal skull bois.

I think adding a hint of blue/yellow/red/color to your desert base would help the contrast between claw and dirt. And make the world more alien.

Unless of course you want the exact same base as your space marines.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Tried black. Not sure.

Leave the tip back and fade to blue at the base?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

My suggestion: make the base a dark grey with a black edge and you’ll be good to go.

Keep the claws the bone color.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah, I think I might accept that this is a scenario where a new base color is needed. I was hoping to keep the base the desert color since it paints up super quick, but I'm not set on anything at this point.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Yeah, I can second this idea. Black fading into blue looks really good on an otherwise-bright miniature. I used basically the same scheme as you for my Carnosaur (but inverted), with black fading into blue on the spurs and spines, and I think it came out well:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

This is cool. Especially if you have an airbrush.

I'll be honest, the scheme you have on its own right now isn't really working for me, it's needs some pop or something to break up the primary color. I know it's more effort, but something like this but with your colors?: https://youtu.be/QBu3e8jZDEc

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah I think the problem is the core color scheme. I have heard suggestions about using a darker red, using a different base, but I think I might go a completely different direction and look at something like a blue crab claw for the scheme.

Bone white carapace, electric blue body, and red claws that are tipped in red.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I just ordered my intercessors, infiltrators, captain and lieutenant!!

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Just want to shout out how much I'm enjoying Goonhammers "Hear Me Out Cyle!" articles. An excellent triple threat of funny, theorycraft and batrep.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah I think the problem is the core color scheme. I have heard suggestions about using a darker red, using a different base, but I think I might go a completely different direction and look at something like a blue crab claw for the scheme.

Yeah that's great. I'd still choose the blue or red to be dominate and accent with the other, or you end up with things looking "icy hot" which can be cartoony and goofy in a way I don't think you want.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Yeah that's great. I'd still choose the blue or red to be dominate and accent with the other, or you end up with things looking "icy hot" which can be cartoony and goofy in a way I don't think you want.

That's why I think the crab claw look will work. Blue will be dominant, and I'll use the red as the accent color on claws, etc.

EDIT: I'm thinking either Akhelion Green, Aethermatic Blue, or Talassar Blue. Thoughts?

https://spikeybits.com/2019/06/gws-contrast-paints-how-theyll-really-look-on-models.html

Looks like thinned Talassar Blue might be the ticket: https://twitter.com/naytoe/status/1133452450885775360/photo/1

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 1, 2019

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
If a model has multiple guns, it can shoot all of them as long as they aren't pistols, right? Or is it just one at a time?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

goose willis posted:

If a model has multiple guns, it can shoot all of them as long as they aren't pistols, right? Or is it just one at a time?

Yes, all

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'm making an Eldar kill team from ancient models I found in my parent's basement. This is the first painted model.

This dude's slot has GW ©1988 on the base and has been sitting in a box since the early 2000s. He's older than most of the posters in this thread.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Some guy's 'Nids.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I like the original bone carapace and red body. Just need a different base and some tweaks to the gun.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

goose willis posted:

Yes, all of them, with the exception of a single weapon that has multiple profiles (e.g. Plasma guns or galvanic casters) with that exception of weapons that explicitly fire all of their profiles at once, like the Icarus Array.

e: also I think you throw grenades instead of firing other weapons, rather than in addition to

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I have a question...why are supressors considered bad? I mean, heavy gunners that have fly seem pretty fuckin useful to me, what am I missing?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I have a question...why are supressors considered bad? I mean, heavy gunners that have fly seem pretty fuckin useful to me, what am I missing?

They aren't considered bad.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I think they can actually do ok in certain armies like Iron Hands or Smurfs that give them the ability to avoid the penalty for moving and shooting. Really they just suffer from the standard Primaris issue of not knowing what they want to do; they're an autocannon Dev squad with jump packs that are also kind of squishy all things considered. 90 points for what they bring isn't bad though. Play IH and deploy in cover and then hop out and shoot without penalty, or as Smurfs and drop in T2 so you can use Scions of Guilliman to avoid the -1 to hit.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
They're S7 AP-3 D2 in Devastator Doctrine, they're outright good, they just previously only came in Shadowspear, which makes assembling large numbers of them problematic.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Sweet, I took a squad of them in my crimson fists list for overwatch denial. I wish they'd make the multiparty kits for them already but I'll make do. Also, what's the deal with the eliminators and centurion squads being on heavy back order?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Sweet, I took a squad of them in my crimson fists list for overwatch denial. I wish they'd make the multiparty kits for them already but I'll make do. Also, what's the deal with the eliminators and centurion squads being on heavy back order?

Assault Cents are currently really popular in White Scars (and also Raven Guard?) right now and Dev Cents are the new Imperial Fists hotness now that they got their book. Eliminators are just good and popular for all flavors of Marines.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

In particular Eliminators are a unit that benefit most from having a lot of. One squad of Eliminators might kill a character if they get good rolls, or if it's something fragile like most of the Guard guys. Three squads of Elminators are a threat to any character who isn't a Lord of War. So if you're fielding them, you probably want the three squads you're allowed by the Rule of Three. Which means they sell out fast, because anyone who wants them buys three boxes worth.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Painted our chunky friend Tor Garadon:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What if, for rough riders, you modeled one guardsman on all fours crawling around, and another guardsman rode on top of him?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

What if, for rough riders, you modeled one guardsman on all fours crawling around, and another guardsman rode on top of him?

You’d get weird looks in a game and nobody online would laugh, tbh

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

goose willis posted:

I would assume you're one of those people that can't help but try and put their weird fetish in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Strobe posted:

This kind of pedantic bullshit is why there are FAQ entries that say you're not allowed to leave the board as long as you come back on before the end of your movement.

You fire a gun, you don't fire a sword, the meaning here is being beyond obvious in a way that doesn't even make for a compelling entry in the "technically the rules allow..." fun fact almanac.

Nothing about it is pedantic. You're getting up in arms over wording you don't even know. Vulkan's aura (called Forgefather) gives re-rolls for hit and wound rolls for attacks made Flame or melta weapons to models in units within 6". It doesn't specify a phase for this to apply in. This is good, because you want it to apply to attacks outside the shooting phase. And note the words "firing" and "fired" are never used.

Flame weapons are defined in Codex: Space Marines as weapons with "flame" or "fire" in their name, including Flamestorm Gauntlets.

Flamestorm gauntlets have a melee profile, defined as "Flamestorm Gauntlets (melee)." Therefore, when you make attacks with them, they are flame weapons, and benefit from Vulkan's aura.

Instead of getting upset over it, just imagine that the Aggressors are spewing flame while they are punching things. Or that the enhancements they get to their weapons from being around Vulkan also applies to the weapons' ability to hit things.