Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AirPods Pro: sound doesn't seem as good as my Powerbeats Pro, however, the noise cancellation, smaller case, ease of insertion, and wireless charging are all quite positive benefits over the Beats. Lack of volume buttons is a bit of a bummer, but that's a fairly minor issue since I don't tend to adjust volume *too* much. They're *vastly* more comfortable than AirPods Amateur, which is great. I'll have a better idea of how much I like them Monday when I got to the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Well, I have tried the Announce With Siri with my wife’s 2nd gen AirPods and they are not working (her screen is not even lighting up with a notification).

I also tried to share audio but it will not connect to her AirPods (pretty much, my phone disconnects from my airpods while causing my wife’s phone to disconnect and that is it).

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Tried out the AirPods Pro tonight. Coming from wired Shure IEMs I’m not blown away but they sound good. The isolation does an amazing job.

I need to play with fit a little but I like them so far.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I find that earphones trigger tinnitus for me, but the Beats Solo Pros look kind of interesting. I’m curious to see how the noise canceling will stack up vs Bose and Sony.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

Are all the tempered glass shields the same? Verizon seems to be selling these weird no-name protectors now, when years ago they were selling Zagg Invisible Shields.. now they don't offer them.

Sorry for the belated response, but are you going to a non corporate Verizon store? Every Verizon company store basically only pushes Zagg. They get “Verizon” branded screen protectors, but employees her higher payout for Zagg (because it’s more expensive), and Zagg is def better than the Verizon branded ones anyway, so why not recommend that in store.

Screen protectors in general, mostly the same, some non brand screen protectors feel weird. If it’s a main brand it’s probably ok.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Don't buy a screen protector at the Verizon store for $40 that you can buy on Amazon for $8.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

AirPods Pro: sound doesn't seem as good as my Powerbeats Pro, however, the noise cancellation, smaller case, ease of insertion, and wireless charging are all quite positive benefits over the Beats. Lack of volume buttons is a bit of a bummer, but that's a fairly minor issue since I don't tend to adjust volume *too* much. They're *vastly* more comfortable than AirPods Amateur, which is great. I'll have a better idea of how much I like them Monday when I got to the office.

Two things:
-Beats Pros are all about Noise cancellation (unless I’m just wrong). I was expecting AirPod pros to be similar, but are they really better?

-“AirPod Amateurs” :five:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Two things:
-Beats Pros are all about Noise cancellation (unless I’m just wrong). I was expecting AirPod pros to be similar, but are they really better?

AFAIK the beats pros do isolation not active noise canceling like the AirPods.

Also the beats solos can eat it since they are on ear and not over the ear which is way more comfortable.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Has there always been a 1 year trial for the new TV+ service?

I thought they were only giving 1 year for free to people who bought new hardware?

Also it looks like not every show has all episodes released at the same time? See, For all Mankind, and the Morning Show only shows me 3 episodes but the Emily Dickinson show has 10 episodes.

E: I have no idea what’s going on cause now that button just says “play/resume episode” and TV+ doesn’t show up in my subscriptions but the TV app says I’m subscribed. I didn’t pres butan

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 1, 2019

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
For some reason since iOS 13, boarding passes don’t show up just before a flight on my friend’s iPhone X’s lock screen any more. The setting in Settings is enabled for lock screen passes to show up so we’re not really sure what’s wrong. Is this just a case of doing a full restore and hoping for the best?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Two things:

The (also) new Beats Solo Pro does noise cancellation but not the Powerbeats Pro, those just do passive isolation like any other in ears. I’m hoping they refresh them next year with it...although if they get cheap enough this year for the holidays I might just replace my dying AirPods with the current ones anyway.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Boris Galerkin posted:

Has there always been a 1 year trial for the new TV+ service?

I only get 7 days. Jerks. The pilot episodes seem to be free for anyone though, which is nice.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Zwille posted:

I only get 7 days. Jerks. The pilot episodes seem to be free for anyone though, which is nice.

So I looked into it a bit more and it looks like Apple Music subscribers on a student plan get TV+ included as well. I’m only seeing this on blogs though which either all reference the same “story” (which amounts to “apple says so trust me”) and I can’t find it on Apple’s website anywhere or any mentions of it in any app.

If it’s included then I guess that might explain why the button went from “subscribe for a free year” to just “play/resume episode.” My sister (on my family plan) did but a 11 Pro but she hasn’t been awake so I don’t think she enrolled.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

GoatSeeGuy posted:

You only get the option to use a recovery key if you went directly from Two-Step to Two- Factor, which hardly anybody did.

Far more likely you're looking at account recovery if you don't have another trusted phone number already tied to the account (Everyone should have a second trusted phone number, but sadly few do) but you may be able to bypass the waiting period depending on Apple's arcane magics and how much personal info you can give.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204921

tl;dr version- You wanna use the Apple Support app or the Find My app on any other device (can even be store demo units) and try to sign in with the account and with luck it may allow you directly reset the password otherwise you gonna wait.

Well apparently I did. I have "two-factor authentication" enabled, have a trusted phone number, and also a recovery key. Should I disable the recovery key? :confused:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

First proper commute with AirPods Pro and yeah noise cancelling is worth it

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Housh posted:

I have a store credit so I went in and tested out AirPods Pro and Beats Pro. Was not impressed with the sound quality. Really didn't make a big difference over my gen 1 AirPods.

Pass.

Housh posted:

First proper commute with AirPods Pro and yeah noise cancelling is worth it

Every Apple hardware release lol

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I looked into it a bit more and it looks like Apple Music subscribers on a student plan get TV+ included as well. I’m only seeing this on blogs though which either all reference the same “story” (which amounts to “apple says so trust me”) and I can’t find it on Apple’s website anywhere or any mentions of it in any app.

If it’s included then I guess that might explain why the button went from “subscribe for a free year” to just “play/resume episode.” My sister (on my family plan) did but a 11 Pro but she hasn’t been awake so I don’t think she enrolled.

I also have an 11 pro and it's only offering 7 days. Maybe they will send people who bought phones a special code or something later?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Two things:

As noted by others, the Powerbeats Pro do NOT have active noise cancellation, just passive by virtue of being in-ear. These are definitely better. They're about the same when you turn it off. Transparency mode works nice, too.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Housh posted:

Wonder if there is a watch short cut to turn off isolation.

With the most recent WatchOS you can select the Airplay icon and it will let you change noise cancelation modes.

This: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210643

Says you need to be listening through your watch but it works for me while listening through my phone.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

I also have an 11 pro and it's only offering 7 days. Maybe they will send people who bought phones a special code or something later?

Yeah, I'm wondering that myself. My wife got a launch day 11 so I'd think it would qualify for a free year, but who knows.

Also 7 days? They offer 3 months with Apple Music and 7 days with Apple TV+?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, I'm wondering that myself. My wife got a launch day 11 so I'd think it would qualify for a free year, but who knows.

Also 7 days? They offer 3 months with Apple Music and 7 days with Apple TV+?

7 days is literally way more then enough time to watch every single show currently on Apple TV+

Weedle
May 31, 2006

But why would you?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So if you go into the Apple TV app on your phone, and scroll down to sign up for Apple TV+ it should say "Your device makes you eligible for a free year of Apple TV+ service" or something to that effect. It worked for me (launch day iPhone 11). Said it would bill me on Nov 1, 2020.

I'm in the US, for reference.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Apple should have bought someone's media library or rights so they could have had more exclusive content. Kind of like how Netflix got access to Starz library for a couple of years. Certainly there's something Disney doesn't already own.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Mine gave me a year, but I did buy directly from Apple and get the big honking 11 Pro Max.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I bought directly from Apple. I'm in the US. I only have the 7 day option.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

I bought directly from Apple. I'm in the US. I only have the 7 day option.

Call them?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Mahoning posted:

So if you go into the Apple TV app on your phone, and scroll down to sign up for Apple TV+ it should say "Your device makes you eligible for a free year of Apple TV+ service" or something to that effect. It worked for me (launch day iPhone 11). Said it would bill me on Nov 1, 2020.

I'm in the US, for reference.

Be aware that if this is like the arcade and news+ trials, it'll revoke your access as soon as you cancel rebilling

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

LODGE NORTH posted:

Mine gave me a year, but I did buy directly from Apple and get the big honking 11 Pro Max.

Just posting to say the same. Installed the app, tried to watch something, got the 1 year offer for free.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Weedle posted:

But why would you?

For All Mankind looks good but otherwise...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
My Canadian iPhone 11 has the one year free offer.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Clicked on the free year offer and was immediately charged $9.99 from Apple on my Apple Card. Now waiting for customer service to see what the hell.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Duckman2008 posted:

Sorry for the belated response, but are you going to a non corporate Verizon store? Every Verizon company store basically only pushes Zagg. They get “Verizon” branded screen protectors, but employees her higher payout for Zagg (because it’s more expensive), and Zagg is def better than the Verizon branded ones anyway, so why not recommend that in store.

Screen protectors in general, mostly the same, some non brand screen protectors feel weird. If it’s a main brand it’s probably ok.

Thanks for the reply. I don't know how to tell a corp from a non-corp, but going by what you're saying, it was a non corp because I didn't see Zagg -anywhere- in the store.

I'd rather get the protector in the store because they said they'd put it on for me for free, and it worked out pretty well the last time I had them do it for my 7, no bubbles or dust or anything.

XBenedict posted:

Don't buy a screen protector at the Verizon store for $40 that you can buy on Amazon for $8.

This is also true but its worth it for me to just throw the money at them rather than trying to achieve a clean room environment in my tenement apartment just to put on a glass sticker.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Reese Witherspoons character in The Morning Show is using an iPhone with the Saddle Brown leather case :allears:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Reese Witherspoons character in The Morning Show is using an iPhone with the Saddle Brown leather case :allears:

Proving yet again that only in a fictional world would someone be caught in public with the saddle brown leather case.

afk

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Jose Oquendo posted:

Does she use it before she gets the network gig? Can’t see her using something so cheaply made when she starts getting a paycheck.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Somebody suggest a better leather case with nice clicky metal power/volume buttons for my XS Max.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

LODGE NORTH posted:

Proving yet again that only in a fictional world would someone be caught in public with the saddle brown leather case.

afk

jabro posted:

Does she use it before she gets the network gig? Can’t see her using something so cheaply made when she starts getting a paycheck.

Mods?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
What happened to this thread? Everyone hating on saddle brown and that one guy asked about a glass screen protector and didn't get mocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

this probably has been asked no less than 100 times in this thread but didn't see it in the last few pages.

cracked my phone's back and i'd like to replace it. is this something i can do with relative ease, or best to take it somewhere? i'm in nyc so there are plenty of spots.

e: i'm also curious now if having a third party replace the back would disrupt my trade-in program membership. seems like it could?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 1, 2019