Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Ugh, since you can only redeem in $25 I was saving a bunch of points. so I'll just cash them out now before I wake up and find they converted and I can't use it.

I'll keep my cell phone on it for the insurance benefit, but otherwise why bother?

About that...

quote:

If you have already set up your total monthly wireless bill to be charged to your Uber Credit Card, you may continue using your cell phone protection benefit without interruption. As of November 1, 2019, there will be changes to the insurance provider and to the maximum coverage levels and deductible amounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Uber must have decided they had enough data collected from having the card out there for a few years and are now basically dumping it.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016
So what would be the next best no-fee all rounder? Capital One Quicksilver? (Double Cash is no good because I need no foreign transaction fees).

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Is there a better CC that has cell insurance? I have like 6 people on my on my cell bill and we've used the insurance many times.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Magic City Monday posted:

So what would be the next best no-fee all rounder? Capital One Quicksilver? (Double Cash is no good because I need no foreign transaction fees).

I use a double cash in the states and Quicksilver abroad

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Is there a better CC that has cell insurance? I have like 6 people on my on my cell bill and we've used the insurance many times.

Wells Fargo cards have cell phone insurance, including their no fee cards.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Thoguh posted:

About that...

This still looks mostly ok, though I guess purely cosmetic damage is now excluded...

$600 per occurrence, $25 per occurrence deductible, 2 claims/rolling 12mo

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

opposable thumbs.db posted:

I had one from 2014 that wasn’t getting any use, but recently after getting new iPhones, this is what I’m using

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Magic City Monday posted:

First Tech Federal Credit Union has a 2x points card with no foreign transaction fees but for cash back points are only worth $0.008 so it comes out to 1.6% only slightly better than the Quicksilver. Redemption rates for gift cards are slightly better. The $10k minimum credit limit is nice for a utilization buffer, though.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 29, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

For my cell phone insurance, I've been using a 1.5% back card that has Mastercard's recently-added cell phone coverage. Higher deductible of $50, but they do cover leased phones (not all of the others do) which lets me take advantage of certain carrier promotions.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

opposable thumbs.db posted:

I'll check it out. I don't want to lock a hundred bucks of rewards in Uber GC just for insurance.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I need a new main CC now that the Uber card is changing. Almost all my discretionary spending is at bars and restaurants, so the 4% really helped.

Any suggestions for a new main card? I don’t travel too much.

My credit rating is okay, around 750, mainly bc I still have a fair amount of student loan debt. I can pay down some of it with my savings before the February 2020 Uber change to boost my score if that’ll help.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

I need a new main CC now that the Uber card is changing. Almost all my discretionary spending is at bars and restaurants, so the 4% really helped.

Any suggestions for a new main card? I don’t travel too much.

My credit rating is okay, around 750, mainly bc I still have a fair amount of student loan debt. I can pay down some of it with my savings before the February 2020 Uber change to boost my score if that’ll help.

Double Cash is good for 2% everywhere and the Costco card gets you 3% on restaurants and travel.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The Uber card isn’t changing until 2/1/2020, right? I’m definitely gonna stop using it now that it’s crap, but I was hoping to get another $50 streaming service credit before then and I’ve got to put a fair bit of spend on it still to get that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Double Cash is good for 2% everywhere and the Costco card gets you 3% on restaurants and travel.
While I do have a Costco membership, I don’t spend a ton there. I probably spend more at bars and restaurants in 1 month than I do at Costco all year, and the rewards only come once/year in the form of Costco cash.

Should I look into the Chase Sapphire products? I already have like 4 CCs through them including the Prime Signature.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

and the rewards only come once/year in the form of Costco cash.

You cash the certificate in for actual cash at the membership desk

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Josh Lyman posted:

While I do have a Costco membership, I don’t spend a ton there. I probably spend more at bars and restaurants in 1 month than I do at Costco all year, and the rewards only come once/year in the form of Costco cash.

Should I look into the Chase Sapphire products? I already have like 4 CCs through them including the Prime Signature.
Well, 3% is more than 2% (Citi Costco vs CSP). And it's redeemable to cash annually.

CSP has a $95 fee but a 60k signup bonus, and there are referral links in the goon spreadsheet. It's a good card for at least the sign up bonus, plus depending on your spend categories it can be good anyway. It also has travel and rental insurance.

Thoguh posted:

Uber must have decided they had enough data collected from having the card out there for a few years and are now basically dumping it.
Sounds about right.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SiGmA_X posted:

CSP has a $95 fee but a 60k signup bonus, and there are referral links in the goon spreadsheet.

Speak of the devil.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Bank of the West has a 3% restaurant (and gas / groceries) card which I was using before I got my Uber card which I'll be going back to again once I reach $25.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The Uber card thing is pretty drat annoying, but I guess not unexpected? I suppose I'll continue to use it for dining and travel (my spend is relatively low, I don't travel for work or anything), and that should cover the few times I use Uber.

I would be less annoyed if they at least kept the return % the same.

Edit - the USBank cash+ card just got more tempting.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 30, 2019

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

All reward cards have been pulling back lately it seems.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
Is there any way to trigger higher than 40k point sign up bonus on any non business southwest card? I heard in the airport at a kiosk it is 50k, but I'm not flying soon. I'm just close enough to companion this year if I hit just over 40k more points by Dec 31

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

hbf posted:

Is there any way to trigger higher than 40k point sign up bonus on any non business southwest card? I heard in the airport at a kiosk it is 50k, but I'm not flying soon. I'm just close enough to companion this year if I hit just over 40k more points by Dec 31

I was curious about this (a 50k personal + 70k business offer would hit the new 125k threshold for 2020 after spend), so I Googled and found this:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-southwest-cards-50000-points-after-2000-in-spend-use-at-own-risk/

It looks like if you apply with those specific links, it's the 50k offer from in-flight. The application page itself doesn't specify the actual point rewards though.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

Resonance22 posted:

I was curious about this (a 50k personal + 70k business offer would hit the new 125k threshold for 2020 after spend), so I Googled and found this:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-southwest-cards-50000-points-after-2000-in-spend-use-at-own-risk/

It looks like if you apply with those specific links, it's the 50k offer from in-flight. The application page itself doesn't specify the actual point rewards though.

hmmmm might have to roll the dice and do this. People in the comments seem to say it's working and confirmed the points at least until a few days ago. Scary that it doesn't mention anything though. Thanks!

I can't tell from the site, but do both of those earn 50k? What would be the point of going for the one with a higher annual fee?

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

hbf posted:

hmmmm might have to roll the dice and do this. People in the comments seem to say it's working and confirmed the points at least until a few days ago. Scary that it doesn't mention anything though. Thanks!

I can't tell from the site, but do both of those earn 50k? What would be the point of going for the one with a higher annual fee?

Yup, both should be the 50k points offer after $2k spend.

Here's a chart that shows the benefits between the two cards:

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/partners/credit-cards/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-cards/index.html

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.

Spam Musubi fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 2, 2019

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.
So I’m in a weird situation and need some help. I was an authorized user under my pops with his Chase Sapphire Card for a year and that apparently built up my credit score and I didn’t know this. When I turned 18, I got the capital one secured mastercard to build my credit and got an Apple Card. Now seeing that my credit score is in good condition thanks to being an authorized user before, should I keep the secured MasterCard or just end it?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Spam Musubi posted:

So I’m in a weird situation and need some help. I was an authorized user under my pops with his Chase Sapphire Card for a year and that apparently built up my credit score and I didn’t know this. When I turned 18, I got the capital one secured mastercard to build my credit and got an Apple Card. Now seeing that my credit score is in good condition thanks to being an authorized user before, should I keep the secured MasterCard or just end it?

Best case scenario would be to get a product change on your Capital One secured card to a non-secured option. It's generally harmful to your credit score to close cards outright.

If you can't convert the secured card then you'll eventually want to close it, but maybe after getting a couple more cards, to reduce the potential impact.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Vox Nihili posted:

It's generally harmful to your credit score to close cards outright.

This isn't right.

A higher average age of accounts is better, but if you close a card, it sticks around on your credit report for several years. It just doesn't keep increasing its age, so your average age of accounts doesn't go up as fast. Closing out a line of credit will also mean your overall utilization percentage goes up, but that doesn't have any "memory" and is very easy to fix.

So - while it's better to product change if you can, it's not going to actively hurt your credit score to close out an unused card. It just means that future growth might not be as fast, and you might need to be a bit more careful around utilization.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Spam Musubi posted:

Is there an annual fee on the secured card? How much is the security? If "Yes" and/or "A lot," I'd lean toward closing. Though if you plan to apply for any new cards soon you might wait until then.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

It just doesn't keep increasing its age
Yes it does.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

Resonance22 posted:

Yup, both should be the 50k points offer after $2k spend.

Here's a chart that shows the benefits between the two cards:

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/partners/credit-cards/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-cards/index.html

Well I went for it. Will report back with what happens. Hopefully I can hit the spend and get the bonus credited before Dec 31.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Thoguh posted:

I don't know much about how co-branded cards work - who pays for rewards? It'd be Uber, right?

They just announced they lost 1.16bn last quarter. May be looking to cut some corners.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Doctor of Credit has a link to the Hilton Amex Aspire for no annual fee in the 1st year ($450 waived, holy poo poo) but I'm ineligible due to all my other Hilton cards. It's worth a look, it's an insane value if only for the Diamond status and the free weekend night stay.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/american-express-hilton-honors-aspire-signup-link-with-waived-450-annual-fee/

Gah, it's dead. I tried it earlier and was ineligible for the points bonus, but I should have pulled the trigger for the benefits anyway. Even though I just got the Ascend last month...

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 5, 2019

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Space Gopher posted:

This isn't right.

A higher average age of accounts is better, but if you close a card, it sticks around on your credit report for several years. It just doesn't keep increasing its age, so your average age of accounts doesn't go up as fast. Closing out a line of credit will also mean your overall utilization percentage goes up, but that doesn't have any "memory" and is very easy to fix.

So - while it's better to product change if you can, it's not going to actively hurt your credit score to close out an unused card. It just means that future growth might not be as fast, and you might need to be a bit more careful around utilization.

You are incorrect. In the long term, you will have a lower average account age. In the short term, you will have higher utilization. In both the long and short term, your credit score will suffer, albeit possibly to a minor degree. Closing out your oldest revolving account is generally something you want to avoid if possible.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

You are incorrect. In the long term, you will have a lower average account age.
In FICO scoring it will continue to age and will only negatively impact average account age once it falls off in ten years. In Vantage model, it will immediately stop impacting account age. This is one of the reasons that Vantage scoring is poo poo to know what your FICO score looks like.

quote:

In other words, closed accounts do count toward the growth of credit history length — aging normally month by month and year by year — until they’re deleted from credit reports 7-10 years from the date of closure or last reported account activity, whichever is later.

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/04/how-closing-card-impacts-fico-score/

astral
Apr 26, 2004

You're both right. How much it the utilization/available credit affects you right away and how much the AAoA affects you in ten years will depend on the rest of your (current and future) card portfolio.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I applied for a Chase Ink Business and did not get instant approval (or denial). How long does it usually take to follow up? This was last Thursday.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
I did this recently and did not get instant approval either. You can find a phone number on their site and after keying in some info they'll be able to update you. I called it two days later to find out I was approved and got something in the mail a week after that. Weird delay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hey guys just coming in here to complain about the uber card going to poo poo

I just finished putting my first ever official big-money $2000 work trip on it

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 8, 2019