Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

If corbyn wins hes gonma cancel christmas and replace it with Red Day UK

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9NKHJ64qRR8

Edit: Cat tax

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not raising taxes doesn't mean you can't increase tax income, you just need to grow the taxable economy. By giving money to people who will spend it within that economy.

after the car crash that was the Economic Advisory Committee back in 2015-2016, McDonnell also seems to become wary of trying to pitch new economics - it must have the OBR's stamp of approval and nothing less will suffice

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Podcasting is Praxis Episode 11 - Swindling Here! is now available for consumption.

I hope you all enjoy it!

Please enjoy the 15 minutes or so of silence from me where I received audio but could not be heard by the others. Imagine me saying the funniest lines of the show. I tried to correct "majority" to "majority bority"

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Chuka Umana posted:

I mean I feel like they're somewhat right in the sense that this is really the best shot for radical leftists in Labour. There really isn't anyone to blame but Corbyn if Labour loses.

Corbyn's been hampered by years of infighting and smear campaigns from centrists within Labour. I don't think we can exactly say he was given a fair shout by a lot of the PLP.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Chuka Umana posted:

I'm asking if you'd still vote Labour if Stephen Kinnock was your MP

Would depend on whose leading the labour party at the time.

team overhead smash posted:

Corbyn's been hampered by years of infighting and smear campaigns from centrists within Labour. I don't think we can exactly say he was given a fair shout by a lot of the PLP.

Which is why I have changed my Labour voting stance. Back under Mills it was vote labour because the conservatives and libs are bastards, unify at all costs.

Not doing that again when its so clearly one sided.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

mila kunis posted:

Should labour pull off a win in this election would Corbyn's agenda be hobbled by blairites?
They'd obviously try wrt the stuff that really fucks with the owners of capital, but it's not like they could oppose stuff like ending austerity, fixing the NHS, building houses &c, I reckon we're good on that

Angepain posted:

Please make sure you are taking enough time away from politics over the next few weeks to avoid damage to your own emotional wellbeing/mental health. It's good for you, and even if you don't care about yourself it's good for those around you as well. Whatever happens we're all going to need people who care about stuff, and we're going to need a good chunk of those people to be able to get up in the morning.
Genuine question, how do people balance this? I've always been an all-or-nothing kind of person and repeatedly cycle through fight hard -> burn out -> recovery periods. It's effective as long as I get phase 3 right, but it's not particularly healthy

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013

Chuka Umana posted:

Not saying that as an attack on Labour, but I have little patience for people who will try to re-litigate this election in the coming years by blaming it on the media or Farage or whatever if Labour loses.

The left should really appreciate the importance of this election, it's either now or never.

1. It is entirely possible that 4 years of non-stop Chairman Mao style bicycling by every major media outlet in Britain acting in their class interest could/will have an effect on this election wtf are you talking about?

2. As has already been said, if Labour lose, we just continue to fight. If they win, we continue to fight. The Tories don't vanish into dust if you beat them one time in an election. Strap yourself in.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Borrovan posted:

Genuine question, how do people balance this? I've always been an all-or-nothing kind of person and repeatedly cycle through fight hard -> burn out -> recovery periods. It's effective as long as I get phase 3 right, but it's not particularly healthy

I'm still bad at it but getting better by trying to be more aware of the signs I'm burning out. I still end up arguing with shitheads who yell "antisemitism" as soon as they have to admit the Lib Dems have blood on their hands, but much less often.

I also got a lot more into the cultural side of software development/management about 3 years ago and that has given me a ton of tools for keeping an eye on myself as well as the folks I work with and look out for. Make checking in with yourself at least a few times a day part of your routine. Set reminders if you have to, especially if there's particular times of the day you find yourself doing emotionally exhausting stuff.

It's also cool and good to walk away, and remembering this has never made me think "I wish I'd said x" later on. "OK, Boomer" feels wonderful and I'm trying to not use all mine up in one go.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Labour aren't suddenly going lurch right if Corbyn steps down because it's the very left membership that will elect his replacement, not the PLP.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

MrFlibble posted:

Good to see you have the level of reading comprehension I expected you would have

why do centrists always post like this

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
This thread obsesses too much over the lib dems. They are conversely pathetic laughable but dangerous and could be the doom of the country. It's like something I remember Eco writing about.

Look to the bright side and stop staring into shadows.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 1, 2019

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Venuz Patrol posted:

yeah the person who's talking about not supporting Labour if they get a centrist leader is definitely a centrist, sure

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Carborundum posted:

1. It is entirely possible that 4 years of non-stop Chairman Mao style bicycling by every major media outlet in Britain acting in their class interest could/will have an effect on this election wtf are you talking about?

2. As has already been said, if Labour lose, we just continue to fight. If they win, we continue to fight. The Tories don't vanish into dust if you beat them one time in an election. Strap yourself in.

They do if you elect someone powerful enough :maosay:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bundy posted:

Labour aren't suddenly going lurch right if Corbyn steps down because it's the very left membership that will elect his replacement, not the PLP.
Who decides who gets a vote? Can the PLP reform the system to be like the Tory one?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Can we hold a referendum on tomato and jam sandwicjes

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1190342747351375872

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Venuz Patrol posted:

Chuka Umana's posts always reek of 'the left needs to mollify the moderates' and i'm stating that bringing those moderates in will result in some leftists saying gently caress it - and I am one of them.

If that makes me a centrist I don't particularly care. Voting won't solve anything on this hell island anyway.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Who decides who gets a vote? Can the PLP reform the system to be like the Tory one?

the NEC is in charge of stuff like leadership contests

and it's basically full of Momentumites rn

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Julio Cruz posted:

Momentumites

Please use their correct title, Momentum Thugs

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Personally if Corbyn doesn't make gains I'm gonna be blaming the fact that a December election is a massive loving disadvantage to us. It will be bad for turnout (i.e., bad for us), and a lot of the fair-weather canvassers won't bother either. As well as the obvious disenfranchisement.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
A song for Joris by a madman I know

https://kumbelch.bandcamp.com/track/a-song-for-boris

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
worth reflecting whether you would consider Starmer or Thornberry or Rayner unacceptably too liberal; they're all positioning themselves in case Corbyn gets crushed at the polls in December and does the honourable thing

none of these people have Corbyn's surviving-veteran-of-battles--when-Thatcher-was-PM stripes. Also, unlike political veterans who are still around four decades later, they have more viable rivals and more enemies made in relevant political questions rather than old, buried ones.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Borrovan posted:

Personally if Corbyn doesn't make gains I'm gonna be blaming the fact that a December election is a massive loving disadvantage to us. It will be bad for turnout (i.e., bad for us), and a lot of the fair-weather canvassers won't bother either. As well as the obvious disenfranchisement.

It'll be far worse for elderly Tory voters, assuming they don't all apply for postal votes

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Angepain posted:

Ok here's my synthesis of mine and Tigey's posts. (also lol at that kelly edit i made ages ago coming back to haunt me and still being relevant after all these years. though i guess the party being referred to in the leftmost cloud has changed somewhat.) Those in the know let me know all if there's anything needs added/taken away, i'm not a mental health professional so most of this advice is second hand:

Hi everyone! In these wild times please remember to take good care of your own mental health. This election period is going to be an absolute emotional rollercoaster, regardless of the result. There is so much at stake, both generally in the country and personally for many of us, and there are bound to be further massive highs and depressing lows as the election carries on. There will be no shortage of things happening and people saying things and stuff you could be thinking about or potentially doing to help. There will be no shortage of tedious arguments where people speak past each other or wild brawls where people accuse each other of being responsible for society's ills.

In all of this it can often feel like you're obliged to pay attention to all of the stuff going on. It can often feel like you have to exhaust yourself in order to dedicate every last drop of energy you have towards the election. There may well be times when you find yourself unable to think about anything else, constantly refreshing livefeeds or searching out new horrible things that you know will make you angry or sad and that there is nothing you can do about. This isn't healthy - don't do it.

Please make sure you are taking enough time away from politics over the next few weeks to avoid damage to your own emotional wellbeing/mental health. It's good for you, and even if you don't care about yourself it's good for those around you as well. Whatever happens we're all going to need people who care about stuff, and we're going to need a good chunk of those people to be able to get up in the morning.

If you're feeling overwhelmed or need someone to talk to, there are details of helplines you can call here, here and here.

Thanks for this, have shared with our local campaign team.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Please use their correct title, Momentum Thugs

If you're going to correct people you'd do well to be correct yourself. It's Jeremy Corbyn's Far Left Momentum Thugs.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I had a look around this account and mogg's bonnet is a masterpiece.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu

Azza Bamboo posted:

I had a look around this account and mogg's bonnet is a masterpiece.

Thats a good one! He is an astoundingly talented dude, I've had I ain't no bitch stuck in my head for days now

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Rarity posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world

Be the Change you want to see in the UK.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

MrFlibble posted:

Would depend on whose leading the labour party at the time.

Which is why I have changed my Labour voting stance. Back under Mills it was vote labour because the conservatives and libs are bastards, unify at all costs.

Not doing that again when its so clearly one sided.

Have you thought of voting for the MP that best represents your views, within your constituency, rather than pretending it’s a presidential election?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Pesky Splinter posted:

Oh no. What a terrible shame that would be. :lol:
It's entirely intentional. Grifting on a platform of "We must leave the tyrant EU" stops working if we actually leave the EU :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

McDonnell is whipping a very similar pledge to not raise taxes (except on corporation rates and the top 5% income bracket). If this doesn't raise enough revenues, it will run into a problem... once in government, simply not reversing Tory cuts is no longer a, I think the term of art is magical money tree?

We might be in the curious situation again where Labour is whipping a tighter line on taxes than the Tories, esp since Johnson seems to have located that tree in his backyard. Growing in a ditch, no doubt.
Scrapping the single parent benefit doesn't even make Sound Economic Sense™ though, because single parents on low incomes are probably the most likely group other than homeless people and working class pensioners to spend that money immediately in their local economy. They aren't going to hide it in the Caymans or speculate on land or invest it in the bonds of foreign governments, things that would render it economically inactive.

It was 100% playing to the public on the stereotype of the time that single mums are sluts who get knocked up for free council houses and need to be taught a lesson, right wing ban this sick filth populism, which as much as he liked to play the technocrat he was always up for a bit of.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Julio Cruz posted:

the NEC is in charge of stuff like leadership contests

and it's basically full of Momentumites rn
Thank you. And good.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Have you thought of voting for the MP that best represents your views, within your constituency, rather than pretending it’s a presidential election?

Its a democracy, I get to vote however I feel for whatever reason I like. The loving moon told me that its Corbyn or leftier and who am I to object to a celestial body?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Collateral posted:

This thread obsesses too much over the lib dems. They are conversely pathetic laughable but dangerous and could be the doom of the country. It's like something I remember Eco writing about.

Until they've been crushed down to sub 10% in the polls they're a menace on key seats and will attract a lot of low information Remainers.

ronya posted:

after the car crash that was the Economic Advisory Committee back in 2015-2016, McDonnell also seems to become wary of trying to pitch new economics - it must have the OBR's stamp of approval and nothing less will suffice

Yeah that sucked that it fell apart but Labour's economic plan is new for the UK at least, it's just there's really limits that state power can do to transform an economic base without super enthusiasm and involvement from the base.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

It's going to be the Dementia Tax again, because that's loving catnip to dry Tories.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Collateral posted:

Their actual ideas are pathetically laughable. Their popularity amongst brain spidered centrist dads makes them potentially the doom of this country and they vote to give plastic bags votes as we no deal brexit.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

ronya posted:

worth reflecting whether you would consider Starmer or Thornberry or Rayner unacceptably too liberal; they're all positioning themselves in case Corbyn gets crushed at the polls in December and does the honourable thing

none of these people have Corbyn's surviving-veteran-of-battles--when-Thatcher-was-PM stripes. Also, unlike political veterans who are still around four decades later, they have more viable rivals and more enemies made in relevant political questions rather than old, buried ones.

Yes, Corbyn killed and ate his rivals long ago. This was before he switched to vegetarianism, which gave him his other superpower:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The first twenty seconds of this advert are very on-the-nose...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ9z8PpYccU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Lefty brother (but not party member) who said a couple of months ago that he was going to vote Lib Dem purely because brexit was the single most important issue and Lib Dem's only party offering revoke has just started sharing Labour Party posts on Facebook. Hopefully he'll be voting Labour after all. Daredn't ask in case he's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The first twenty seconds of this advert are very on-the-nose...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ9z8PpYccU

Obligatory: Robert Webb is a terf twat