Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

i say swears online posted:

at least y'all aren't literally loving freezing in october holy poo poo

The North and West suburbs of Houston are supposed to freeze tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Its 42 right now and in the shade still feels pretty cold with these winds.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
It might be 30 degrees, but at least it isn't 30 degrees and also raining like it was yesterday.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Malleum posted:

It might be 30 degrees, but at least it isn't 30 degrees and also raining like it was yesterday.

Mega agreedo. I'll take 30 and clear over 45 and raining any day

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My body just can't handle the 70 to 40 jump all at once, it doesn't know what's going on, my sinuses explode, I think "well, at least I can start layering clothing again" but then I start horribly overheating.

I need gradual change to acclimate over. I can deal with hot, I can deal with cold, I can't rapidly switch over between the two.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
You’re yes then you’re no?
You’re in then you’re out?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TexasMonthly/status/1190269472080302080

Subway must be banned in Texas

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/BetoORourke/status/1190380118511902720

Skateboarding into the sunset with a burger in his hand

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Kinda feel bad for Beto, hope he stays involved in politics though.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

It would be cool if he came back and helped run the campaign of the Dem Senate nominee imo

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I wonder what he’ll do now. He doesn’t really have a job.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

bye beto, you wont be missed, you centrist loving loser

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

I wonder what he’ll do now. He doesn’t really have a job.

I see some mid-level Texas government position in his future (mayor, state rep, state senator, etc.). If he's lucky, he'll head back to the House.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
In 2:years we won't even remember him LMAO what a waste of an opportunity

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/juliancastro/status/1190386764705419266?s=21

And here’s the happiest man in Texas today

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Run for county commissioner beto

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Of all the candidates, Castro’s campaign has the most clearly been an audition for some other job. So I’m not sure he cares that much.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
beto's dropping out speech should conclude with "you may all go to hell for i am going to texas" and then he announces another senate run as flying naked renaissance angel babies holding trumpets soar across the sky, heralding his return

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Beto should organize for Battleground Texas or whoever to try and flip the legislature and win local/state races.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

gently caress it he should just run for Senate. I mean, it's not a stupider idea than his run for President.

Ahaha actually he should run for TX 21

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Beto should just spend all his time going on TV to attack Mayor Pete, who sucks

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/olivianuzzi/status/1190404557408546816?s=21

:whitewater:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

zoux posted:

gently caress it he should just run for Senate. I mean, it's not a stupider idea than his run for President.

Ahaha actually he should run for TX 21

This would be awesome. He’d have my vote. I can’t stand Chip

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The woman would not confirm if her thighs were cramping.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

dalstrs posted:

This Google doc has been passed around in my local DSA (FtW) supposed to be from Our Revolution. https://docs.google.com/document/d/10ZC1orYneTO_ufkz5Qgzc9RgOcPUORgIcg2GnFEmVV4/edit

The local DSA meeting recommended: No on 4 & 9. Yes on 2, 5, & 8.

Kunabomber posted:

There's also the League of Women Voters with a pro and con section for each proposed amendment:

https://my.lwv.org/texas/election-information

these are helpful, thanks

jurassic
Sep 20, 2009

I looked at the LWV site, isn't the issue with the income tax amendment that it makes it really hard to repeal?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The amendment increases the unliklihood of the passage of a state income tax in Texas from 99.9% to 99.99%. It's meaningless in practical terms, because the constitution already requires a popular referendum to ratify a statewide income tax. A voter base that is willing to do that already has elected sweeping Democratic majorities to the House and Senate as well as capturing all the statewide offices, so it should be easy to repeal.

I'll put it this way, we won't ever get to a point where the reason we don't have a statewide income tax in Texas is this amendment. It's just anti-tax jacking off.

jurassic
Sep 20, 2009

zoux posted:

The amendment increases the unliklihood of the passage of a state income tax in Texas from 99.9% to 99.99%. It's meaningless in practical terms, because the constitution already requires a popular referendum to ratify a statewide income tax. A voter base that is willing to do that already has elected sweeping Democratic majorities to the House and Senate as well as capturing all the statewide offices, so it should be easy to repeal.

I'll put it this way, we won't ever get to a point where the reason we don't have a statewide income tax in Texas is this amendment. It's just anti-tax jacking off.

I think it would cause the legislature to have to vote with some kind of super majority before they could even put it up for a referendum? I am not sure if that is the case now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Right, it takes 2/3s of the Legislature to propose a constitutional amendment (or propose the repeal of one) and I'm saying a world in where 51% of the electorate votes for a state income tax in Texas is also is a world in which Democrats have a supermajority in both chambers.

Most polling puts around 3/4s of Texans as opposed to a state income tax.

https://twitter.com/JamesArkin/status/1191375117361778689

Beto. Senate race. Now.

https://twitter.com/emmaplatoff/status/1191379349271961600

hmmm

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 4, 2019

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Hell yes we are gonna take your guns means beto cannot run in texas again

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

zoux posted:

Right, it takes 2/3s of the Legislature to propose a constitutional amendment (or propose the repeal of one) and I'm saying a world in where 51% of the electorate votes for a state income tax in Texas is also is a world in which Democrats have a supermajority in both chambers.

Most polling puts around 3/4s of Texans as opposed to a state income tax.

I dunno. This doesn’t take gerrymandering into account. As it stands now, it requires a popular referendum which could be achieved by a simple majority. With the amendment it requires a much larger majority, because even with a majority of the electorate the Dems will not have majorities in either chamber, much less supermajorities. This is assuming, of course, thatTexas gets more gerrymandered in 2020, which seems almost a certainty at this point. I still think the amendment is worth opposing strongly because of the damage it could do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My position continues to be: none of these proposed amendments are substantial, as always, and they're all gonna pass with 2/3s or more.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The income tax thing is the red meat boomers need to plaster all over Facebook so they remember to vote

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

My position continues to be: none of these proposed amendments are substantial, as always, and they're all gonna pass with 2/3s or more.

Im pretty much just voting to keep my streak going.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord
I won't be able to vote in this election because Texas's weird month-long waiting period after changing voting addresses but I'm eager to see if turnout hits the double digit mark or if we're going to get 5% again.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Well only 6 percent of travis county voted during early vote so double digits might be a bridge too far. I would really like to see 9 fail because it is a handout. Why wouldn't you tax something that physically exists and is worth a certain value.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

TropicalCoke posted:

Well only 6 percent of travis county voted during early vote so double digits might be a bridge too far. I would really like to see 9 fail because it is a handout. Why wouldn't you tax something that physically exists and is worth a certain value.

4 words

Governor Abbott Golden Wheelchair.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Malleum posted:

I won't be able to vote in this election because Texas's weird month-long waiting period after changing voting addresses but I'm eager to see if turnout hits the double digit mark or if we're going to get 5% again.

Did you move counties? You should still be able to vote, probably just with your old address.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Did you move counties? You should still be able to vote, probably just with your old address.

Tarrant to Denton, yeah. Had to actually send for a paper form from the secretary of state, so as far as I am aware I won't be officially allowed to vote until that is properly processed. I could probably have gone with my old address and polling place if I hadn't already mailed the thing a week ago, but I'd rather play it safe and not risk having the Texas Rangers batter down my door to make an example out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No one cares, go vote with your old ID and address