Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I have no idea if this is legitimately true, but I've heard and seen in comic books that if you put a roll of coins in your hand it's almost like a brass knuckle effect if you punch someone. Has anyone in wrestling used that as a spot? It seems like it could be similar to a brass knucks spot, but then you could gimmick the roll of quarters to make coins spray everywhere and have a bigger visual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

I have no idea if this is legitimately true, but I've heard and seen in comic books that if you put a roll of coins in your hand it's almost like a brass knuckle effect if you punch someone. Has anyone in wrestling used that as a spot? It seems like it could be similar to a brass knucks spot, but then you could gimmick the roll of quarters to make coins spray everywhere and have a bigger visual.

Socks full of quarters have been used (most recently for a great visual with Corino braining BJ Whitmer) but I don't think what you've described has

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I know some guys in WCW used to do it, but not with the effect of the coins spilling everywhere. I think there's also a story of one of the Rougeau Brothers knocking out one of the British Bulldogs backstage (or vice versa) sometime in the 80s with the same method.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
In a “The Best Sign” competition you must also include “Roman Reigns is a holocaust denier”

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

dialhforhero posted:

In a “The Best Sign” competition you must also include “Roman Reigns is a holocaust denier”

Titty Master or GTFO

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ganso Bomb posted:

I know some guys in WCW used to do it, but not with the effect of the coins spilling everywhere. I think there's also a story of one of the Rougeau Brothers knocking out one of the British Bulldogs backstage (or vice versa) sometime in the 80s with the same method.

It was Jacques retaliating against Dynamite's usual bullshit. He went backstage and knocked out a few of Kid's teeth with a roll of quarters in his fist.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hellblazer187 posted:

Oh yeah, it's an old spot. Curt Hennig won the AWA World Title that way, Tully Blanchard beat Dusty Rhodes in a First Blood match at Starrcade 86 after walloping him with a roll of coins.

The only problem is often the coins go flying after contact, so the ref looks stupid when he sees the mat littered with quarters, an unconscious wrestler, yet still counts the pin.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Randy savage used this spot in late stage WCW.

Also Jerry Lawler used it in his match against Mankind at King of the Ring 97.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Oh yeah, it's an old spot. Curt Hennig won the AWA World Title that way, Tully Blanchard beat Dusty Rhodes in a First Blood match at Starrcade 86 after walloping him with a roll of coins.

I just looked up both spots here. The Hennig one the coins stay put, the Blanchard one is more along the lines of what I had in mind. Owns.

Davros1 posted:

The only problem is often the coins go flying after contact, so the ref looks stupid when he sees the mat littered with quarters, an unconscious wrestler, yet still counts the pin.

Feature not a bug.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Seeing Keith Lee (probably the best spectacle in the biz imo) on Smackdown made me think of something. If a powerful wizard gave you a single use time machine and said you could transport any one wrestler through time and space to do one segment and one long match with Keith Lee, who would you select?

1992 WCW Vader? <- my pick
idk like 1994 Misawa or something?
WARDLOW???

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The answer to that question for me will always be Kenta Kobashi :hellyeah:

But I'd also pay somebody bring back Bret Hart too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
2019 Tomohiro Ishii

This is also my answer to any 'who would you want to see wrestle X' fantasy question.

Yes, including when X = Ishii.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Seeing Keith Lee (probably the best spectacle in the biz imo) on Smackdown made me think of something. If a powerful wizard gave you a single use time machine and said you could transport any one wrestler through time and space to do one segment and one long match with Keith Lee, who would you select?

1992 WCW Vader? <- my pick
idk like 1994 Misawa or something?
WARDLOW???

Misawa, Kobashi, Hashimoto would all be solid ideas

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

All good answers.

Though nobody was there basking in his glory, there was a Kobashi vs Vader match that got 4.5 stars and might help imagine it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbE84ZTzFMc

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

Skip to the 5:00 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMWd1ABdlrM

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

2019 Tomohiro Ishii

This is also my answer to any 'who would you want to see wrestle X' fantasy question.

Yes, including when X = Ishii.
They had a really good match at Rev Pro a couple of years ago

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

oh but seriously I posted:

he would be literally chase owens

chase owens is good actually

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

They had a really good match at Rev Pro a couple of years ago

I know! I watched on New Japan World but it's not up anymore. It was so good despite them only doing lik 5 moves the whole match.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

rujasu posted:

Skip to the 5:00 mark:

I accidentally skipped to like 4:30 and man, Bischoff's karate poo poo was terrible.

So far the Tully one is the closest to what I'm picturing. Thanks everyone.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
WTF is going on with the WWE talent being stuck in Saudi Arabia? Is there a thread discussing it, or does it go in the WWE thread?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Memento posted:

WTF is going on with the WWE talent being stuck in Saudi Arabia? Is there a thread discussing it, or does it go in the WWE thread?

its been in the WWE thread and the Social Media thread

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The roll of quarters thing does work but it's meant to help people who don't know how to make a proper fist for a punch from breaking their fingers, but it's a good visual for wrestling.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Has Wade Keller ever been asked/addressed why the Torch is like the only dirtsheet/site that ignores anything outside North America unless they're basically forced to? Like Dave is always at least aware of Mexico and obvious keeps an eye on Japan even beyond NJPW, but even PWInsider the odd time I glance at it has results from New Japan or Triple A.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think I'm up to date with all of the Crown Jewel bullshit except for the content of Stephanie's Smackdown promo. What was it that she was supposedly forced to say?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

:goodshit:

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I think I'm up to date with all of the Crown Jewel bullshit except for the content of Stephanie's Smackdown promo. What was it that she was supposedly forced to say?
she came out to talk about how they were allowed to put on a women's match in saudi arabia and only a few things were thrown at them thus showing how wwe is at the forefront of a progressive women's movement.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I figured it was something like that, but some of the reports made it sound much worse. Like I was expecting a "Khashoggi screwed Khashoggi" type of thing.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has Michael Cole ever had a "career defining" call? JR has several, especially Mankind/Taker HiaC.

He's a damned good professional, shown especially when Lawler had that heart attack live on TV but I don't know if he's had anything like JR.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I guess the closest thing he has is Mick Foley's first title win, but I don't think anyone remembers that for Michael Cole

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has Michael Cole ever had a "career defining" call? JR has several, especially Mankind/Taker HiaC.

He's a damned good professional, shown especially when Lawler had that heart attack live on TV but I don't know if he's had anything like JR.

What did he say when Heidenreich had him up against a wall?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The closest has to be at Wrestlemania 30 after Vince hosed off and Cole called the main without someone in his ear. His miracle on bourbon street line was pretty good.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Remember that time Undertaker threw Shane off the HiaC and Michael Cole said "for the love of mankind" like he was reading it off a paper, which is, in fact, exactly what he was doing

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Admiral Joeslop posted:

i mean "The streak... is over" is pretty career defining.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Every time, deep down inside, I truly do feel that it's Boss Time.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Cole was really good, strangely, when he was calling the Brock Lesnar vs Stephanie McMahon and Zach Gowen handicap match. Possibly because Vince was too busy whackin it to scream in his ear.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Cole screaming at Angle to break Big Shows ankle was pretty good.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Cole was really good, strangely, when he was calling the Brock Lesnar vs Stephanie McMahon and Zach Gowen handicap match. Possibly because Vince was too busy whackin it to scream in his ear.

... I'm sorry, the what?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

... I'm sorry, the what?

It was a whole series of angles. In fact here's one where it's still going after Brock's face turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3fO2NLaq6A

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Spikegal posted:

It was a whole series of angles. In fact here's one where it's still going after Brock's face turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3fO2NLaq6A

That sure is an over booked mess but I enjoyed it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Spikegal posted:

The closest has to be at Wrestlemania 30 after Vince hosed off and Cole called the main without someone in his ear. His miracle on bourbon street line was pretty good.

Cole screaming “C’MON DANIEL! C’MON DANIEL! TAP OUT BATISTA! TAP OUT BATISTA!” and abandoning all impartiality as a play by play guy is probably his best moment since just going “WHAT?!” in response to the glass shattering in the Mankind/Rock title match. He’s a dude you can clearly tell the difference between him actually being caught up in a moment or being told to be caught up in it.