Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Staggering Development :trustme:

https://i.imgur.com/4zzOgrG.mp4

Quavers fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Zzr posted:

And the no alchool rule is poo poo too. Poor guys.

Let's be fair this is for the best.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So let me guess, there's absolutely no progress on any of the missions in SQ42 still, right?

I'm sure they'll get roaring on those as soon as SSOC is done! Yeah, that's what is holding them back! Yeah! Yeah...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Need more suggestions, there are a few that aren't displayed in the above

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Land/apartment sales
Demo crashes partway through (they have to replay the same thing in the exact same way)
Still under water in space, somehow

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

What about out of control wildfires and rolling power blackouts?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Consoles port announced
SQ42 beta is delayed for another year
Engine switch to Unreal
New stimperor package reveal priced at $40000

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Jobbo_Fett posted:

"Huuuuuh".
"Don't show that splash screen".
Cringe scripted dialogues during a "100% genuine un-scripted and real time" demo.
Uncontrolable laughters from people on Derek Smart's discord during Chris keynote.
The Expanse archering.
Engine switch.
FOIP hilarity.
E.L.E.
Heat death of the universe.

I'm gonna drink-play that bingo. RIP me.

Megalobster fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 2, 2019

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
If we could have another demo starring the sandworm, that would be fun, too.
Oh, and they die/break their leg in-game while trying to walk down some stairs.

MostlyRandom
Nov 1, 2019

Bofast posted:

Good find, new friend :wave:

hi :)
I've been into 3d modelling since the commodore Amiga days (early 90's) so I always look to see what software "game devs" are using

come to think of it I've probably got more modelling experience than their entire modelling team of 20 year olds

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MostlyRandom posted:

hi :)
I've been into 3d modelling since the commodore Amiga days (early 90's) so I always look to see what software "game devs" are using

come to think of it I've probably got more modelling experience than their entire modelling team of 20 year olds

Even Sandi might have more modeling experience than their modeling team by now :ssh:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Oh weird, The AI that has been delayed by years has been pushed back another six months. Nevermind though, Star Citizen's best and finest believe that the AI is actually good but is being held back by the laggy servers, and that's going to be fixed soon!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MostlyRandom posted:

character tool is a default cryengine module. (lumberyards character editor is EmotionFX and animation editor)

Nah, that's a default starengine module.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

NPC Improvements: Bartender +1%
Walk and Talk -4%

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Refactored Idris interior.
Talking while walking npcs. (This could fall into the catagory of 'never done before' tbh, so far in SC they've all been stationary while talking)
Pusher walking up/through a ramp.
Return of the noodle limbed horror commandos. (4th Stimpire shock troops)
Chris drunk on stage.
Obvious jumpcuts in 'live gameplay'.

Looking forward to it this year :)

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

:lol:

So for SC, all real gameplay content is getting pushed back again for "bug fixing and quality of life improvements" which in a normal game would just be routine post-launch maintenance, but in this pre-alpha bizarro world it means that Chris' crack team of 22 year olds are banging their heads against a mountain of technical debt.

SQ42 is looking great too. They're still struggeling with the bare bones of FPS and Flight combat less than one year before the supposed Beta.

Keep doing what you're doing CIG!

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 2, 2019

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Quavers posted:

That’s all for this week’s Roundup – join the discussion on Spectrum

Star Citizen: DELAYED.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

Nah, that's a default starengine module.

It’s probably in a directory called ‘starengine’.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

If they are planning on showing off Microtech at the con they had better get a move on!

OTOH, i suppose it doesn't really matter how complete it is, they can always do a promo video of it and backers will lap it up.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Mmmm... prison gameplay. Plenty of opporuntities for lurking in dark corners.

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
lots of game development non-understanders here, sad. the STARENGINE was designed by chris specifically for large scale space MMOs - refactoring it to make a traditional FPS like SQ42 is going to take time. once they finish the conversion from double to single precision (chris is personally working on this) we can expect MUCH faster development.

zebedy fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 2, 2019

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ramps don't work properly/kill during demo
Doors don't work properly/kill during demo
Bullshit about alien languages during main presentation
Large model/prop to sell a new ship
Audio issues during presentation

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Viscous Soda posted:

Ramps don't work properly/kill during demo
Doors don't work properly/kill during demo
Bullshit about alien languages during main presentation
Large model/prop to sell a new ship
Audio issues during presentation

Shapcap in Star Marine cosplay.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I wonder if the new features for SQ42 that are going to be announced at Citizensconned are going to be used to justify at least another year delay?

“Answer the call 2021 because we increased the scope again!.. Wait, what was the scope before anyway?”

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

If they are planning on showing off Microtech at the con they had better get a move on!

OTOH, i suppose it doesn't really matter how complete it is, they can always do a promo video of it and backers will lap it up.

Made me realize that CIG don't list locations on the SQ42 "roadmap". It seems a bit weird to me as locations are critically important in any game that relies on 'setting' and if SQ42 is counted as a seperate entity from SC then surely they should list location progress for both games seperately. They can't be using the exact same locations in both games can they? If so then whats the hold up for getting systems done individually, even just to basic level? :shrug:

Am I overthinking it? :confused:

Actually, now that I look at it, it's probably the designer of those roadmaps just ommiting repeated info. I didn't notice that person was not an employee of CIG

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 2, 2019

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Blizzard still bad therefore Star Citizen is good.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

kilus aof posted:

Blizzard still bad therefore Star Citizen is good.

From an Open University lecture shown on BBC 2 at 3:42am one drizzly night in Great Britain in the year of 1984:

"If game that is not not SC = bad, then -1, and therefore SC = Good and +1, ergo SQ42 will therefore inherit the +1 and make another 6 million sales at minimum, the call should be answered thereby on 2016 at most due to the +1, the -1 from the other game can be disregarded and ignored for now."

zzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

colonelwest posted:

70-80% of America's youth are pretty much automatically disqualified from military service. Most can't pass the initial fitness test or the physical exams, and a good portion are borderline illiterate and can't pass the ASVAB. As for the rest, many of them wash out of the initial training with horrible musculoskeletal injuries because they've never consistently exercised before in their entire lives.

Don't forget those of us that suffer from mental illnesses and rely on a cocktail of drugs to keep ourselves functional.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Battle royal mode.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Pilz posted:

Don't forget those of us that suffer from mental illnesses and rely on a cocktail of drugs to keep ourselves functional.

Got plenty of us serving already.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Prisons ARE gameplay!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Space. Station. Sales.

Been calling it for years, now its finally my time to shine.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Quavers posted:

Roadmap Roundup November 1st 2019

Hi everyone,

We’ve already seen very promising results in the overall playability and user experience in Star Citizen in Alpha 3.7 thanks to our recent transition to Staggered Development. While we still have a lot more to do, we plan on maintaining this newfound momentum and pushing for a greater breadth of quality of life changes/fixes in the patches to come. As we mentioned when we first made this development change, we knew there would be some changes to the Roadmap as we re-prioritized. This re-prioritization is still on-going, which you will notice in the Roadmap Roundups to come. Specifically, we’re in the process of doing some re-calibration in an effort to allocate proper resources to focus on quality of life changes in both 3.8 and 3.9. It’s time to squash some of those longstanding bugs and clean up overall the gameplay experience and playability, so that you can enjoy Star Citizen even more while we continue development.

Please note that we will look to add some new cards to the Roadmap in the near future to accurately represent some of the new quality of life work being focused on.

With that, let’s dive into this week’s roundup!

-CIG Community Team Notable Changes for November 1st, 2019

PU – New Babbage Landing Zone DELAYED

The re-allocation of resources mentioned above resulted in a few changes to the New Babbage landing zone. This landing zone has now been split into two separate cards: exterior & interior. The first will come in Alpha 3.8 as planned, featuring all external structures of New Babbage. The second card will be included in Alpha 3.9, allowing us to give the interior the attention to detail it deserves, which will ultimately provide a great experience when landing and exploring the city. This change will not impact microTech or the various new biomes coming online with this new planet, which are still on track for Alpha 3.8.

PU – Prison Gameplay SCOPE CREEP

We’ve made considerable progress on Prison Gameplay, with the associated gameplay activities, missions, and environments nearly complete. We will be adding the Prison Gameplay card to the Roadmap today which covers all the broad content & features contained within the Prison gameplay loop coming in 3.9. As we learn more from the development team, next week, the Prison Gameplay card will be broken into a variety of different cards that accurately represent the development work making this gameplay loop possible.

SQ42 – Flight: Mission Logic Additional Controls DELAYED

We’ve made the decision to move this task to the second quarter of 2020 in order to re-allocate development resources to the following tasks:
3D Pathfinding
Target Selection
Various SQ42 improvements
Some unannounced features (see you at CitizenCon.)
You can expect to see more updates on these following the conclusion of our current planning phase.

SQ42 – FPS: Stealth v3 & FPS: Realistic Firing v2 DELAYED

We’ve made the decision to move these tasks to the first and second quarter of 2020, respectively, due to the following tasks involving more feedback and iterations than originally expected:
Weapon Types – Shotgun & Pistol
Cover Usage
Defend Area
Server Meshing Support

SQ42 – FPS: Navigation v2 DELAYED

While development has been going very well on FPS: Navigation v2, to deliver on planet navigation and usage of airlocks/doors, we’ll require an additional quarter, therefore this task has been moved to the first quarter of 2020. You can expect to see more updates on the subject following the conclusion of our current planning phase.

SQ42 – Flight: Ace Pilot DELAYED

In an effort to re-prioritize resources, we’ve made the decision to temporarily remove this card from the Public Roadmap until we’ve concluded where it will land back in our timeline. Some of the priorities that this change will allow us to focus more on are:
3D Pathfinding
QT Linking
Various SQ42 improvements
Target Selection
Formations
Player vs. Average AI
Atmospheric Combat
Some unannounced content… (see you at CitizenCon!)
Keep in mind that further prioritization sessions for AI will happen this quarter, so it is possible additional updates may follow. MORE DELAYS TO COME

PU – FPS: Cover Usage v1 & SQ42 – FPS: Cover Usage v2 DELAYED

Feedback and review for the following bulleted items have taken longer than expected, and because of that, FPS: Cover Usage v1 is now expected to come in following the cutoff date for the Alpha 3.8 release. Due to this, we have moved both v1 & v2 cards, with v1 now expected in Q1 and v2 expected in Q2.
Weapon Types – Shotgun & Pistol
Cover Usage
Defend Area
Server Meshing Support

PU – Flight AI: Improvements and Polishing & PU – FPS: Combat Improvements and Polishing DELAYED

These cards reference crucial work that move us towards our completed flight & combat AI experiences. With the more-preliminary AI tasks mentioned above being a big focus, we’ll need to shift these two tasks to 4.0.

That’s all for this week’s Roundup – join the discussion on Spectrum

Catastrophically epic. Even worse than expected.

I especially can’t believe they’re gonna fast track Tony Z’s prison gameplay over Salvage and Refuel. Insane how much they take the megawhales for granted. But at this point, they deserve it.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think it's cool and good that we're close to a decade in and a staggering amount of money wasted and the developers are openly admitting they're still trying to figure out how their game can run online.

And that real people read that and think it's normal.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

DarkDobe posted:

Got plenty of us serving already.

Ah, over here they tend to turn you away at the hint of mental health issues, especially depression.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mendrian posted:

And that real idiots read that and think it's normal.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
star citizen development is like a bottleneck strapped to a bottleneck strapped to a bottleneck and so on.
it's always a good excuse to say “oh here we have a bottleneck which we are working on“
you can apparently do that for many years as we see.

but what do you get when you strap a hundred bottlenecks to each other?
a very thin pipeline i guess

edit: daium, the comments on the good ol “roadmap roundup“ on spectrum are all negative. this hate-speech needs to be blocked drop the hammer on those traitors

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 2, 2019

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Honest question, as someone who only tangentially knows about SC as an obvious scam, and since the OP doesn't clarify this..

Star Citizen is a bug-addled shitshow; however, if I pay X amount of dollars they're asking for access to this, what exactly is for-real playable? Not just crappy and thrown-together by ding-dongs, but legit playable? Their website sure doesn't tell me "if you pay this many dollars this is what you get." Is the MMO part available for that amount? Is the TDM? Can you walk around in the stations/on planets? Can you fly ships around and, and drive around on planets and moons and then go dogfight other people? Can you run around cities and hire people? Can you have people serve as crew on your ship, or serve on theirs? Is the paid portion single or multiplayer?

Even the wikipedia page for this game is confusing. I tried googling this but because this project has been in limbo forever, all I can find is stuff saying "you'll be able to do this in SC soon!" - articles that range from 5 years ago until today, but I still can't figure out what exactly you get if you actually shell out the money for the game.

For the sake of argument (for each part of SC, I guess, because I still cannot figure out what parts of the game you get - beyond S42 and "Star Citizen" writ large being two different things) consider Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing to be "totally unplayable" and 7 days to Die to be "playable and actually really fun but holy poo poo it took this long and it looks like rear end?" to be the scale. I know goons have their thumb on said scale, because the product blatantly sucks, but I'm really interested in what you get for your actual payment. And I can't for the love of all that is holy actually figure it out.

edit: I really love 7 days to Die but it is butt-ugly and janky.

UltraShame fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Fidelitious posted:

I will set my car on fire if Squadron 42 sells even 100,000 copies beyond what has already been 'sold' upon its official release. I'm also predicting a metacritic of below 50.
Although I'm guessing it would be pretty difficult to get any legit 3rd-party sales numbers. Is there any chance that Squadron 42 would be sold on Steam or something?

Metacritic is shite for controlling ratings. If a launch comes to pass (lol)I am pretty sure CIG will have earmarked a significantly portion of its "marketing" budget to get the best reviews possible in there.