Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Huh, I legitimately never got a Special-Reverse card in several playthroughs where I constantly used Lucia.

Sure, it's RNG nonsense, but on the rare occasion you get a Special ZA WARUDO in a boss fight is just amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Keldulas posted:

I like how the fight where Lucia basically kills you with her RNG, she gets a card that tries to do it more efficiently. Good on you girl!

HA. You've seen nothing yet. There are some cards with really powerful effects that Id will pick up and probably never show off...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Schwartzcough posted:

How did Nicolai even know the heroes were right on the other side of that wall? They would've felt pretty dumb just blowing holes into empty rooms and losing their chance for both Dramatic Villain Entrance and delivering their Evil Villain Ultimatum to the heroes.

You're forgetting the initial barrage. I choose to assume he was hitting rooms at random and got lucky on the second shot.

"Well they're not in the piano room... let's see if they got to the dungeon. Men; Target the top floor and fire. Lenny, get into place again and let's try to look suitably smug this time."

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're forgetting the initial barrage. I choose to assume he was hitting rooms at random and got lucky on the second shot.

"Well they're not in the piano room... let's see if they got to the dungeon. Men; Target the top floor and fire. Lenny, get into place again and let's try to look suitably smug this time."

"Don't hit the fart gas generator!" :ohdear:

"Why do we even have one of those?"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

achtungnight posted:

The whole party going berserk is just the tip of the iceberg for bad things that can happen to you thanks to Tarot's RNG nature. :( Good things can happen too, but I never used Tarot enough to notice.

And yes, there are other actions that characters can take only while Berserk.

Some of these might be useful, I guess. I'm surprised there aren't more abilities for Joachim's alternate forms.

Kinda neat they programmed in a load of unique berserk actions. They could have easily left it as just attacking random targets, but they went to the extra effort instead for a status the player will try not to be in for very long, or avoid all together.

StandardVC10 posted:

"Don't hit the fart gas generator!" :ohdear:

"Why do we even have one of those?"

*Holding nose* ""Great job Lenny, now it's going to take forever to get the fart smell out of those books"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ya blew it Lucia, ya blew it bad.

SaitoBatch
Jun 16, 2009
Ironically... or logically, the only reverse card you'd want to get would be the Hanged Man. Doesn't that you kill you if you get it right side up?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

SaitoBatch posted:

Ironically... or logically, the only reverse card you'd want to get would be the Hanged Man. Doesn't that you kill you if you get it right side up?

Normal Hanged Man makes all enemies skip their next turn.

Reversed makes you skip your turn.

Special makes both effects last two turns, meaning special reverse Hanged Man gives the enemies two free turns to beat you to death.

SaitoBatch
Jun 16, 2009

BisbyWorl posted:

Normal Hanged Man makes all enemies skip their next turn.

Reversed makes you skip your turn.

Special makes both effects last two turns, meaning special reverse Hanged Man gives the enemies two free turns to beat you to death.

I must have read that card wrong then. My bad. I thought normal Hanged Man killed you on use, Reverse killed an enemy. Because of course an upside down hanged man means you're not getting hanged, was my thought process.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I found Lucia's new card funny more because it's called Justice and its normal effect is to murder her, and heal everyone else. It's like the game apologizing for what just happened.

Episode XXXIII

The Dark Id posted:

we find a poorly arrange library with a couple of items of note

slamming that toggle switch into this menacing Telsa device

"arranged" and "Tesla"

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode XXXV: Book Burner

Music: Old Smudged Map ~ Europe

Following the previous events, we're unceremoniously dumped back onto the map screen. Technically, the game points us back toward Florence. But, we're not quite finished with the SG Italian Branch HQ. So let's turn back around and give that place another once over.

Music: In Darkness of a Labyrinth ~ Dungeon

And by that I mean just march straight back to the room where we fought Janus. I think random battles are just straight up disabled now. I guess the place has been abandoned. An airship did just open fire on it in the middle of a city. I think its secretive hideout nature may be somewhat compromised.

The torture chamber is a bit of a mess after that artillery barrage. But now taking up residence in the rubble is a wolf. Let's strap a Pocket Watch (prevents Ring Abnormalities) on Blanca and see what's crackin' with this old-timer wolf.

Huh? Did this wolf just talk in people language?
<looks at Yuri> Ah, pardon me. I didn't mean to startle you. I might look like a wolf now, but I used to be a human. That's why I can speak both wolf and human languages.
Hey, same as me. I can understand what Blanca says too.
Awroo?
See, that means he's hungry.

<looks at Blanca> I have to beat you if I want my human form back. Will you fight?
Awroo. (I have to honor my elder's request.)
He's thinking about it.

Music: Soul Comet ~ Spirit of the Wolf

They used to call me "the old tiger". I won't go down easily, you know!
You know a tiger is a feline, correct?
...Yeah. The old nickname doesn't fair very well these days.

Music: Glint of Light ~ War of the Hungry Wolf

Wolf Bout time again. You know the drill. Henri has 300 HP and an Earth class affiliation so he's Blanca's opposite.

As previous wolf encounters have had, Henri innately can cause Reverse Ring with his physical attack string. But we've taken care of that with the Pocket Watch accessory. Though frankly, Reverse Ring is one of the least troublesome Ring Anomalies.

In addition, Henri can cast Thorn which... actually does less damage than his physical attacks so I'm not sure of the point.

This fight is pretty much another battle of attrition that Blanca can fairly handily win solely by casting Soul Comet every turn. Soul Comet is technically a Wind-based attack so it does quite the number to the old tiger.

Music: Result ~ Victory

That's one more in the book even if beating up a cursed old man isn't the most glamorous of victories. Do you still count as a werewolf if you just transform into a regular rear end wolf and not a wolfman? Some vampires can turn into wolves and nobody calls them a werewolf. But maybe vampire status supersedes that? I'm sure there's a supernatural rule lawyer who could clear up the confusion.

Music: In Darkness of a Labyrinth ~ Dungeon

Age doesn't have anything to do with it. It's just a matter of whether you take on fighting as your living or not.
You're absolutely right. Maybe research suits me better than battles.
Also, having to retrain my fighting style at 90 years old to another species is a tall order. Maybe if I were still in my 70s, that would be another story...
Well, Blanca, here you are.

Soul Comet can never get enough power-ups. Going to have a whole pack of wolf spirits howling at the moon like on a bad t-shirt before this adventure is over.

You take care too.
Awroo!
He says goodbye.
You realize I can understand him?
Awroo.
Aww. He's still hungry. We should go.

With that, we are completely done with the Sapientes Gladio Italian Branch HQ. Scratch another location off the list.

Now that our extracurricular activities are concluded, we should probably head back to Florence as the game wanted us to earlier. Indeed, doing so automatically whisks us back to Carla's place of business.

Music: Town of Twilight ~ European Town

Just what kind of secret does this Émigré Manuscript hold, anyway?
Well...

Here's the deal.
Let me grab some paper and a crayon.
...Why?
Visual aides are important to storytelling!

Music: ENDS

Ten years ago, three ancient tomes were stolen from the Vatican.
Well, I guess it was more like twenty... I probably should have just said twenty.
It's really shaped like a skull? That seems awkward to hold.
Yep.
You said there were three books. What about the other two?

...OK, I don't really remember what the other two looked like. They were just... plain books but magic. Not a skull shape or anything neat. Look, it's not important.

The Pulse Tract, which incarnates a god from the soul of the Earth.
That thing blew up Shanghai. Also technically it got absorbed into my soul.
...There's a god from the soul of the Earth living inside YOUR soul?
Yeah. It's complicated. I dunno if it's still in there. Never really resolved that one... Hopefully, it moved out along with those Three Mask jerks when I got rid of my last curse. Anyway, continuing...

The R'lyeh Text, with the power to summon a god from beyond the stars.
They used to call it the "Codex of Luri"e but I guess that was a mistranslation or something, according to Roger? I dunno. Anyway, that's the god I punched out in space.
Is that why that Nicolai guy called you "Godslayer"?
Yeah, I guess. I mean, it WAS pretty impressive but it sounds so lame coming out of that smug dork. Anyway, the main book...

And the Émigré Manuscript, which creates life from death.
A knife fighting doctor with an eye-patch in London melted down a bunch of orphans to try to resurrect his mom with that.
Awroo..? (What...?)
Yeah, it didn't go well for anyone involved.

Because each one has the power to warp the very fabric of existence, the books have been widely sought after over the years, and many tragedies resulted from that search...

Music: Town of Twilight ~ European Town

Albert Simon just kind of dropped the god summoning one. A weird kid hanging out in that cauldron where those orphans were melted down gave me the Émigré Manuscript. And I traded an Erotic Book I stole from an evil Chinese sorcerer with Roger to get my hands on the Pulse Tract.
...What? It opened up a bonus dungeon! Was I gonna NOT do the bonus dungeon?

That dangerous, eh? And do you remember where you sealed this Émigré Manuscript away?
It's hardly something I'd forget! But I was in favor of burning them and being done with the whole affair, myself...
Roger blew a gasket. He was all "Do you know how long it took me to copy that tome?" and "The pope tried to have me killed for that book!" and stuff so I backed down.
So where is it?

We hid the Émigré Manuscript in the Great Nemeton Fissure.
Which is a mouthful so we just called it the Neam Ruins.
Nemeton...? You mean that desolate spot in Wales?
That's right. And it won't be easy to go down there. That place is crawling with evil and monsters!
Even for Wales that place is crazy evil.

You make it sound like a walk in the park, but this is serious business! We could get ourselves killed!
And that is a change how from recent events?
Hmm... Good point.
Hey, where are the other two books?
It's a secret.
Oh?
By "secret" I mean "I don't know."
Roger Bacon never told you?
<rubs neck> No, I was there. I uhh... mighta just, you know, forgot...
Sorry, I only remembered the one that was shaped like a skull. Give me a break.

Since Lucia is kind of a dumbass and a goddamn liability, Carla now offers a free HP/MP refill if we speak to her while the party is in the neighborhood. So that's nice. Saves us a few bucks, at least.

Anyway, that concludes this chapter. I guess we're jumping on the next boat to Wales. One day we'll be free from that cursed land. One day...

That wasn't a very long excursion but we did bump into some new beasties along the way. Did you know the show Beast Wars was called Beasties in Canada? hosed up.

Monsters:

You know, I think this is the only mythological creature that didn't actually exist yet in folklore as of the timeframe setting of this game. I can't believe Shadow Hearts would get anachronistic like that.

So is she splitting the rent on that monster torso with another woman who died during childbirth?

Oh no. This poor monster is stuck in an isekai. No wonder it's insane.

Video: Episode 35 Highlight Reel
(You should watch this for Yuri's animated doodles.)

Blanca Face Concept Art - Very regal.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So, uh, what happens if you lose that wolf bout? Clearly he can't revert back to a human because presumably that would break quest progression.

Sterski
Jun 30, 2014
Well nobody ever called Link a werewolf.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Schwartzcough posted:

So, uh, what happens if you lose that wolf bout? Clearly he can't revert back to a human because presumably that would break quest progression.

I want to say that losing a wolf bout battle is a game over, but it's been a long time and I can't find confirmation online.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
If I recall correctly, it's not a Game Over. You just get booted out, Blanca is reduced to 1 HP, and the Wolf to whom you lost mocks you a bit. Then you can return to the Wolf later and try again. Being a former human is just Henry's gimmick, beating Blanca doesn't change him back.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Presumably any Wolf doing the bouts has to beat all the other contenders in order to win the whatever the big prize is, so presumably for Henry that would be becoming human again.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
It was called Beasties if you watched on YTV, FOX Kids still aired as Beast Wars. Back then they just took the US feed and put Canadian commercials at the right times. Super Bowl commercials basically didn't exist for us, it was just the normal ones we always saw due to broadcast regulations.

We used to break out the old antenna to pick up a broadcast from across the border and have Super Bowl Commercial Parties when I was very young.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Janus should have taken some lessons from Caim, then he could get pleasure from murder and chill out.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Zushio posted:

It was called Beasties if you watched on YTV, FOX Kids still aired as Beast Wars. Back then they just took the US feed and put Canadian commercials at the right times. Super Bowl commercials basically didn't exist for us, it was just the normal ones we always saw due to broadcast regulations.

We used to break out the old antenna to pick up a broadcast from across the border and have Super Bowl Commercial Parties when I was very young.

I dont want to mock your youth but that statement makes me very sad.

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 20, 2019

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

This was absolutely a thing, incase anyone thinks it was a one off. Canadian Culture, especially for the poor, gets real funny Sometimes

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
I drat near passed out from laughter reading the update with the last boss battle, was laughing so hard I couldn't breath.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
A more charitable interpretation of Yuri's decision to get the Emigre Manuscript would be that the secret society would inevitably gently caress it up and create some eldritch abomination that would slaughter the whole lot of them, with the sacrifices this time amounting to all the nameless claw mooks left in reserve that nobody gives a poo poo about. But yeah, looks like while he's gotten a little smarter, there's still a lot to be desired.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

ZeusCannon posted:

I dont want to mock your youth but that statement makes me very sad.

Don't worry aboot it. I mean it's not like we didn't have other entertainment. Classics like Body Break and our other National Anthem. It was an interesting childhood, eh?

Edit: More RPGs need Canadians. I can only think of Etrian Odyssey Untold.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
We're having a bit of another break in the LP because I've straight up got pneumonia and it's not going well... I cannot catch a break this year...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rest up and feel better.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Boo, that sucks. Take your time; The Silly Adventures of Punchman can wait.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Sounds pretty rough, take care TDI, and hope you have a swift recovery.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I spent late June in the hospital with pneumonia, so take care of yourself. Go to a hospital if it gets worse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

We're having a bit of another break in the LP because I've straight up got pneumonia and it's not going well... I cannot catch a break this year...

Jeez. I hope you feel better.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Still kind of jacked by the flu. Next update should be tomorrow. You all should play Control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11yWyeYsfIo

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Feel better.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Control is so good. All of the incidental stuff is wonderful / hilarious / terrifying.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Episode XXXVI: Block Head

Couldn't stay away from Wales for too long, now could we? I'm sure walking halfway across the continent and securing another boat across the English Channel in wartime should not be too hard to do for the third time, right?

Music: Spiritualization ~ Holy Land of God

Jumping right in, there are a couple of new items of interest in and around Roger Bacon's home. Particularly... what's up the red cylinder out front? That bares investigation.

Music: Gathering God ~ Thrill

<folks arms> Hmm. Nice mailbox...
Hey! Don't go getting any ideas! That belongs to someone, get it?
The cylindrical shape is calling out to me...
What does that even MEAN?! Ergh... wait, I don't think I want to know...

...Hey!
<clenches fist> Hmm... I really want this mailbox...
What?!

And thus Joachim just hoists the thing over his shoulder and obtains his second new weapon in the questline. Sure, I guess he was about due for another one.

Joachim, stealing a mailbox full of wartime correspondences between families fighting the war seems a LITTLE bit lovely. Also, strong emotions in letters provide a +49 Physical and +38 Special Attack bump.

Never mind that!
Um, weren't you supposed to be a hero?
Some heroes must make great sacrifices.
But you're not sacrificing anything. You're TAKING something extra. That's like the exact OPPOSITE definition of sacrifice!
Never mind that either!
...Whatever. One less hit to my wallet.

Music: Spiritualization ~ Holy Land of God

Joachim gonna do what Joachim gonna do. What can you do? Anyway, the entrance to the Neam Ruins is due north at the same cliff overlook toward Nemeton Monastery's ruins that Yuri gave his first flashback crayon session to Karin during the first Wales trip. But we need some way of getting down there.

Luckily, if we wander into the back of Roger's House a new chest has spawned. Don't ask me how it arrived here. Maybe it was a mail delivery while we were away in Italy.

As luck would have it, this chest contains a way too convenient rope ladder. We probably shouldn't have dumped the whole chest's contents on the ground. You know how long it's going to take to roll up a several hundred meters long tangled set of wood and ropes? What a mess.

Also here, the (bizarre bound by ropes like it is some manner of survival horror game prop, vending machine has been repaired... somehow. Maybe a repairman also stopped by while we were away? One that knows how to repair decades advanced automated electronic technology. Don't worry about it? The main point is the Continental Zero 2 is now open for business. And with it comes a slew of new weapons for the entire party sans Joachim who just got his upgrade for free. The next dungeon is completely negligent about offering up free upgrades so we may as well splurge with our decent savings account and stop up. At least for the party members, we'll actually be using this upcoming dungeon.

Ah yes, I recall reading all about the Industrial Revolution's HF Blades. You'd hate to read about workers trying to unionize get a Zandatsu performed on them back then. This gives Yuri +47 Physical and +40 Special Attack Power.

What's the difference between "enchanted" and "haunted" when it comes to spirits? I feel like that's just a favorable spin a merchant has put on this. Or a vending machine description, in this case. Karin receives +45 Physical and +43 Special Attack Power.

Whetstones were like the 1910s version of iPhones. If you didn't get the newest model, what are you even doing with your life? Are you going to pass up +43 Physical and +45 Special Attack Power? I hear next year's model is going to have a goddamn +1 and +2.5 stat boost upgrade. That's easily worth 1960 Cash.

I guess we can look at Gepetto's new weapon and just not buy it. Has there ever been a puppeteer assassin? I feel like such a disguise has eluded Agent 47 thus far.

Lucia, you can fan yourself off just fine on the bench with the fan you already have equipped.

That's it for engaging in capitalism. But we can still spend a tad bit on the Soul Energy market to buff a couple of our Fusions. In particular, I pumped two levels into Barbaria. Which bumped all his stats other than Power by +1 (+2 in Luck!) We might be engaging in a few Water elemental enemies in the near future so this big armored boy may be the best bet to improve at the moment.

With that all taken care of, we can now head to the edge of Roger Bacon's property to progress further into the mysterious Nemeton Ruins. I thought the last two dungeons were pretty good stuff? This one... much less so, to be honest...

Yeah, it might be a little dangerous, but this ladder ought to do the trick.
Roger teleported us there last time. It was... a problem when it came to getting back out...

The party descends into the Neam Ruins.

NEW Music: Call Back From Jesus - Mysterious Monastery ~ Underground Ruins
(Oh poo poo, we're actually getting a dungeon that doesn't have In Darkness of a Labyrinth playing. You should probably listen to it. Also it's a Shadow Hearts 1 track remix.)

Welcome to the Neam Ruins. Not to be mistaken with the Nemeton Underground where we fought Albert Simon prior to him summoning the Neamto Float and summoned an alien space god back toward the end of the original Shadow Hearts. That joint was underneath Nemeton Monastery ruins. This is like a quarter kilometer away from that poo poo. Totally different! And... ehh, kind of an equally lousy dungeon.

The art design is a bit better than Nemeton Underground's aesthetic of mostly "brown caves" and not much else. I mean, it's mostly bluish stone instead. But hey, those weird alien guys holding a big rear end football are fun. It's better than a cave wall. Also better than a cave wall is a chest with loot!

Penny Blood is the most Japanese assassin name I've heard in a while. Like this motherfucker is gonna show up in No More Heroes 3. That said, this is actually the best headwear accessory available at this point in the game. We'll put this muzzle on Blanca since he's slightly squishier than the rest of the cast.

Anyway, behold Neam Ruins. I... hope really like the cube geometric shape. No, it's not block-pushing puzzles. That great evil of old is not here. Mostly...

Hey, how do you feel about RIDING blocks instead of pushing them? That's a paradigm shift, right? Right?

Music: Vicious 1915 ~ Battle in Europe

But no dungeon paradigm shift will stop battling enemies. This is actually a scripted encounter. So let's jump into that.

OK. We have this... whole thing. Umm... I guess it's appropriate going to Nemeton-side areas we start getting the weird monster designs of the Koudelka/Shadow Hearts 1 era. These umm... skeletal centipede snake with a giant brain stabbed by multiple swords and a tongue leading to a demonic Noh mask... things are going by the title of "Ofnir" and has 256 HP and an appropriate Dark elemental affiliation.

Ofnir (actually it's Ófnir with the o-acute) does have some folklore behind it. It's another title (or like sibling of) Niddhog the giant serpent that gnaws on the World Tree. It's kind of an obscurer one that has barely any context in Norse mythology from what I can tell. It's a big evil snake so sure. This works, I guess. If you squint really hard like usual.

Ofnir is a jerk that relies on physical attacks that inflict Delay. I don't feel like I need to recount what that does and why it would be annoying to have two weird bone snakes hit separate party members with that...

Thankfully, they're not too hard to deal with and seldom come in more than two at a time thus can be taken out in the first wave of attacks fairly simply. I cannot abide by the status effect enemies ever. They've just got to go. Much like how I'll curse out some dick that goes to a grocery store express self check-out that is 12 items or less and brought a full cart of a gently caress-off amount of poo poo. I had once, summers ago, a clearly day drunk old dad from Ohio dickhead get in my face after I heckled him for being a dick doing being in the wrong lane when I had poo poo to do one time at a grocery store. Little did he know I was also summer day drunk and way the gently caress meaner than that lovely boomer and I just full-handed slapped him in the face and told him to gently caress off like five seconds into him trying to be a big man to me. The backdown was hilarious. Dude just abandoned his cart and left muttering swears and threats about calling cops. Bitch made gently caress boy never entered my life again.

This slapping story will not be relevant later in this update...

Music: Call Back From Jesus - Mysterious Monastery ~ Underground Ruins

He did have an Encounter-None Crest equipped so that might be the issues.
I-I feel really sick... It's like something down here doesn't want living creatures around...
A place this steeped in evil and curses is rare. Something really horrible must've happened here...
It's Wales.
You ever get worried a Welsh person might get mad about you constantly giving them such shade?
Pfft. NOPE! Hahhaa. The Welsh...

The first level of this dungeon is just walking onto colored fancy cubes which will navigate you to other points of the dungeon. Which are also composed by cubes? It's cubes all the way down. Including the elevator down to the next level...

Floor 2 has an alteration to the formula. Now there are switches that change the button color to make them fly to different, similarly aligned blocks. It's still basically the same thing. It is not really an interesting gimmick. But guess what the next 10 minutes entails.

Music: Vicious 1915 ~ Battle in Europe

Anyway, let's get to something more interesting like the other couple of random battle trash mob enemies. This weird eye-angel having an orgasm is known as Calamity Orb. I have no lore for the Calamity Orb. It's just an orb of Calamity. It is made out of tissue paper with 68 HP and a Light affinity.

The big thing is these idiots are a HUGE first target because they just exist to buff their friends and hugely debuff the party's speed. Neither of which are optimal.

Speaking of their friends... Chaos Orbs nearly universally come alongside Otheon which sure does look like a Drakengard golem but with a HUGE dick and stretchy Dhalsim arms. This brutish creature has 256 HP making it rather fearsome and a Fire elemental affiliation. All it does is punch folks with a potential to do Special-Attack Power Down.

Beyond that, I have no idea where the name "Otheon" comes from and even looking at the original title is a big shrug. It paired with the Calamity Orbs can be a problem solely because Calamity Orbs come in no less than three of a kind and Otheon are two at least and that's too many to kill in a single round so... A little problematic, but not too much so. Some resources may be spent.

Music: Call Back From Jesus - Mysterious Monastery ~ Underground Ruins

So this new floor. Gimmick? Hard-Light passages that just kind of flash at you and you run across them. That is uhh... that's it, really. There's random battles as you do it but ehh...

You do need to switch the passages by, again, flipping a switch. It's basically the previous level but they just don't animate the cubes moving. You see why I'm not big on this dungeon yet?

Lottery Ticket! You just rearrange a few paths. It's not too much to do.

Please take me from this bore zone.

OK. Surely, this floor will mix it up! I mean, it's a save point. Surely we're a decent way in. One might say that. And they'd be a stupid wrong idiot. We're barely half way in, my friend.

This floor's gimmick is there is a switch that moves a block to progress this time. That is it... You need to flip a couple switches at a point to get to new areas.

One of these switches leads us to another Leonardo's Bear. You know, the "do not allow instant kill" accessory? It may be warning us of future events.

There is also Crest which bestows a magic power that is basically a resurrect. Let's try to use that minimally, eh? It's bad if a slot is dedicated to that.

Related, this is another thing that unlocks a part of Solomon's Key. I am going to leave these until the end of chapters. Just not to have too much update bloat. DEFINITELY not because I forget when the hell they get filled out and I'm already one behind at this point in the LP. Don't believe their lies!

The only loot of note in this whole segment is Getitup! Another steroid package for Joachim which will instantly transform him into Grand Papillon if one so desires. This is probably the most desirable of the three Joachim transformation items but... eh. We'll let that happen naturally its first time, you know? It'd be hosed up to drug up our good vampire boy to inspire it early.

Anyway, there was a bunch of switch flipping and cube riding. It wasn't very interesting. But at the end of THIS floor we get...

Music: ENDS

We now go to cutscene mode with the party wandering ahead with no real focus. Except...

Karin...
...... <looks around confused>

What's wrong?
I don't know. I hear a voice calling to me.
A voice?
You remember this place is haunted as heck, right?

Karin...
<looks around> Grandma?! Grandma, is that you?!

<grabs Karin> Hey! Relax! There's nobody there!
It's just a dumb ghost. We're in a haunted dungeon... Calm down.
B-but I'm sure I heard her! It was my grandmother from back home! She needs my help!

Karin throws Yuri off and goes back to yelling at the walls.

What's wrong?! Why do you sound so sad?! I'm right here! Don't worry...

Just going to stop here and say upping the resolution of old games several times internally leads to weird things like holy poo poo is Karin's rear end absurdly rendered to the point of being a PS2 2B. What the...?

Karin...
*moans*
There! Did you hear that?

SLAP!

AAH!

Get ahold of yourself!
Haunted! Dungeon!
Don't listen to what dead spirits say! They can steal away your soul.

Karin collapses to that one pose female falling to their knees pose that only exists in Japanese video games and anime. You ever tried that? It's wildly uncomfortable.

Something here wants to frighten us, to turn us away from our task.
Yeaaaah... Kind of remembering Roger had a lot of ghost prompts to make people leave. That book is super evil...

Don't let it bother you. That wasn't here, you know. Your grandmother's soul is safe.
She didn't die in Wales, right?
N-no.
Then she's good! Wales cannot hurt you outside its dark boundaries.

<nods> I guess so...
<stands up and helps Karin up> Let's finish our job and hurry back. I don't like this place.
...Wales.

Karin gets up and dusts herself off.

My family is from Munich. Fallen nobility, you might say. If we ever get the chance, will you come visit there with me?
Sure, no problem.
After dealing with the curse. The secret assassin society. Rescuing Roger. And you being a military deserter and all...

<nods> My, that sounds nice, all right. Hehe.
I was talking to Yuri but y-yeah... You all too... Uhh... Shoot...

Video: Episode 36 Highlight Reel

Video Bonus: The Board - Happy Halloween.
(Hey go play Control. It's quite good!)

Neam Ruins Concept Art - Blocks!

Otheon Concept Art - Seere is filing a lawsuit as we speak.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 2, 2019

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Roger sure is going to be peeved when he gets home and finds out the brand new mailbox he ordered has been swiped.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Dark Id posted:

Has there ever been a puppeteer assassin? I feel like such a disguise has eluded Agent 47 thus far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2XO1zwKA24

quote:

The only loot of note in this whole segment is Getitup! Another steroid package for Joachim which will instantly transform him into Grand Papillon if one so desires. This is probably the most desirable of the three Joachim transformation items but... eh. We'll let that happen naturally its first time, you know? It'd be hosed up to drug up our good vampire boy to inspire it early.

If manly heroic transformation persists for more than three hours, consult a doctor.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Joachim gonna Joachim.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

can't yoke the Joach'

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DukeofCA posted:

Roger sure is going to be peeved when he gets home and finds out the brand new mailbox he ordered has been swiped.

It's gonna play hell with his porn magazine subscription, that's for sure.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I was disappointed to find out that Kaiketsu Zubat didn't have a killer puppeteer. Killer bartender? Sure. Killer fisherman? Why not. Football assassin? Look that one up on youtube, it's great. But I don't think they had a puppeteer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leraika posted:

I was disappointed to find out that Kaiketsu Zubat didn't have a killer puppeteer. Killer bartender? Sure. Killer fisherman? Why not. Football assassin? Look that one up on youtube, it's great. But I don't think they had a puppeteer.

Zubat is still the finest television show ever made. :colbert:

It may even be the Number 1 television show in Japan.