Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AlternateNu posted:

I understand Pioneer has hosed with a lot of prices, but why is Talisman of Progress $6 now?

Good mana rock, never been reprinted for 17 years? Looking at Goldfish there was a big spike after Shadows, then the usual "pump and dump" release until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

E2: The weird thing about golos shops to me is I feel like once you have 5 mana how much do you really need more mana, even in Shops

lands do more then make mana

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GoutPatrol posted:

Good mana rock, never been reprinted for 17 years? Looking at Goldfish there was a big spike after Shadows, then the usual "pump and dump" release until now.

The spike around SoI was because there was a random modern deck making the rounds that used it.

Is that happening now? If so, I want to see the list because. >_>

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^ ^ ^ Deeply felt.

AlternateNu posted:

I understand Pioneer has hosed with a lot of prices, but why is Talisman of Progress $6 now?
I can field this one! It spiked originally when Bant Eldrazi was in vogue, and never really came down.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GoutPatrol posted:

Good mana rock, never been reprinted for 17 years?

People finally started coming around on it for EDH after years of me shouting at them about it and it's a shame that we've never had some sort of pre-constructed EDH product they could have reprinted it in to keep the costs down.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo posted:

People finally started coming around on it for EDH after years of me shouting at them about it and it's a shame that we've never had some sort of pre-constructed EDH product they could have reprinted it in to keep the costs down.

~~Gestures broadly at the dartboard on my office door with a ragged portrait of Sheldon taped to it~~

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Of everyone in this thread, I imagine Toshimo as looking the most like his avatar. The old kingly wizard going reverse cross-eyed due to sheer impotent rage. You need to update your avatar text to reflect a more "yelling at the sky" vibe.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Toshimo posted:

~~Gestures broadly at the dartboard on my office door with a ragged portrait of Sheldon taped to it~~

Commander should be about more than just mana acceleration

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AlternateNu posted:

Of everyone in this thread, I imagine Toshimo as looking the most like his avatar. The old kingly wizard going reverse cross-eyed due to sheer impotent rage. You need to update your avatar text to reflect a more "yelling at the sky" vibe.

This is really funny, given the source.

https://pbfcomics.com/comics/atlantis/

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I, too, have lost an EDH group

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Toshimo posted:

I got you.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

JerryLee posted:

I, too, have lost an EDH group

i won a pod tonight because one guy did bullshit with hougaak or w/e and commanded the dreadhorde and hosed himself over and got punched to death, one guy who was playing "gently caress you".dec got owned because ruric thar was on the board, and then i beat the ruric thar player's face in by making omnath1 30someodd with akroma's memorial

i tammy'ed the gently caress out of it

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lone Goat posted:

This is really funny, given the source.

https://pbfcomics.com/comics/atlantis/

My point stands. :colbert:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

AlternateNu posted:

Of everyone in this thread, I imagine Toshimo as looking the most like his avatar.
I am hurt

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
FNM status: there are eight people here for standard constructed instead of the usual 20ish.

Looking forward to that oko ban.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Rahu posted:

FNM status: there are eight people here for standard constructed instead of the usual 20ish.

Looking forward to that oko ban.

It's free booster packs.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
My Standard FNM is super casual. Probably about sixteen people and zero Oko.

For a laugh, here's a Vintage Battle of Wits deck: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2454153#paper

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

venutolo posted:

My Standard FNM is super casual. Probably about sixteen people and zero Oko.

For a laugh, here's a Vintage Battle of Wits deck: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2454153#paper

You could probably achieve a similar effect for cheaper by putting 1/50th the cost in loonies into a bag and beating your opponent with it

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

You could probably achieve a similar effect for cheaper by putting 1/50th the cost in loonies into a bag and beating your opponent with it

Or buy a car and run them over

Edit: or a down payment on a house then drop it on them wicked witch style

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I like how they call it a budget deck

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

I am hurt

Same tbh

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AlternateNu posted:

replace 'talisman of progress' with 'any card' and six dollars with any price and the answer remains the same: people who are very invested in making sub minimum wage dealing cardboard

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Elyv posted:

I like how they call it a budget deck

Really drives the vintage reality home

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
WotC. WotC never changes. The end of Standard occurred pretty much as we had predicted. Too many elks, not enough Okos or Geese to go around. The details are trivial and pointless, the reasons, as always, purely elk ones.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

I'm not sure I understand how Oko, Royal Scions, and then Cursed Huntsman Garruk came out in the same set. Royal Scions might also turn out to be pretty silly with 3 cost/5 loyalty once Oko stops eclipsing the sun across multiple formats.

Is there some kind of Jund/Junk ramp/reanimator deck waiting to emerge that makes Garruk near par with the other two? Seems like a big ask.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

araeris posted:

Is there some kind of Jund/Junk ramp/reanimator deck waiting to emerge that makes Garruk near par with the other two? Seems like a big ask.
Sure, they're simply going to retcon his abilities from [0] and [-3] to [+2] and [+1] respectively.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Grifter posted:

Sure, they're simply going to retcon his abilities from [0] and [-3] to [+2] and [+1] respectively.

pridemate has already set a tamer precedent, but i think it's only a matter of time before we see a balancing erratum, as arena and digital cards continually become a bigger portion of the magic playing pie

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

araeris posted:

I'm not sure I understand how Oko, Royal Scions, and then Cursed Huntsman Garruk came out in the same set. Royal Scions might also turn out to be pretty silly with 3 cost/5 loyalty once Oko stops eclipsing the sun across multiple formats.

There is an Abzan adventure deck running Tolsmir and Garruk together but it can't compete with the simic or sultai value.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rinkles posted:

pridemate has already set a tamer precedent, but i think it's only a matter of time before we see a balancing erratum, as arena and digital cards continually become a bigger portion of the magic playing pie

pridemate's errata was very, very subtle. outright changing values...not so much. all the functional errata they've done has been similarly subtle with one exception - changing around creature types, and personally i hate that because if i want to play a merfolk deck telling people "actually this counts as a merfolk despite not saying it does" seems like real angle-shooting in anything but a very competitive context

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Weird double post

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 2, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The price increase in Talisman of Progress was about as organic as a card could be, it spiked from seeing play in Bant Eldrazi aggro and just never came down due to parallel demand and lack of reprints.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Garruk is currently the top end in the best Golgari Adventure decks and appears in the 75 of many Sultai food lists.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I cast a guy
But it's an elk again
You're never gonna beat me down
I cast a guy
But it's an elk again
You're never gonna beat me down

Ok-ing the night away~
Ok-ing the night away~

He sacs the nanner meats
He sacs the kitty meats
He sacs the food that reminds him of the goosey meats

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

pridemate's errata was very, very subtle. outright changing values...not so much. all the functional errata they've done has been similarly subtle with one exception - changing around creature types, and personally i hate that because if i want to play a merfolk deck telling people "actually this counts as a merfolk despite not saying it does" seems like real angle-shooting in anything but a very competitive context

Also it was erratad months before, during the normal set release rules update schedule.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
lmao at the sample cards on Scryfall’s home screen

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

Not me huh

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You really cannot overstate how much vitriol Toshimo posts in the Commander thread. His posts will give you acid reflux

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bust Rodd posted:

You really cannot overstate how much vitriol Toshimo posts in the Commander thread. His posts will give you acid reflux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!