Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

40-Degree Day posted:

I literally started Cold Steel 1 this morning and my FOMO is real when it comes to RPGs. Anyone got a good guide for these hidden quests?
https://psnprofiles.com/guide/3724-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-overall-walkthrough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

i bought Cyber Sleuth, is there anything I should keep in mind beyond the beforeiplay stuff? any particular digimon i should be working towards, or anything?

... should I be using these digimon with expensive skills I just got thrown at me by some person just outside the detective agency?

EDIT: should i be getting digimon up to 200% scan before making one, or is it better to get them starting to level sooner?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 1, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The first Digimon you want is PlatinumSukamon, because it has an XP bonus that stacks with itself and with Tactician USBs. Three of those will make grinding go lickety-split.

Beyond that you can generally just do whatever, as long as you've got all the types covered. You probably won't need specific mons until you take on the Great Challenges and other optional stuff. Lilithmon and WarGreymon are OP as gently caress.

200% scans only get you an extra 5 ABI, which sometimes unlocks Digivolutions but mostly isn't a huge deal.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 1, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zereth posted:

i bought Cyber Sleuth, is there anything I should keep in mind beyond the beforeiplay stuff? any particular digimon i should be working towards, or anything?

... should I be using these digimon with expensive skills I just got thrown at me by some person just outside the detective agency?

EDIT: should i be getting digimon up to 200% scan before making one, or is it better to get them starting to level sooner?

200% just starts them with a tiny extra bit of ABI (which increases level cap and is a requirement for a lot of digivolutions. It goes up every time you digivolve or de-digivolve that specific mon)

So like don't stress about it. Also any digimon can eventually become any other digimon if you move it around properly.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I wish they actually added content for the CS/HM port. I would have loved to double dip but there’s no reason for me to because I have both games on the vita

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

The first Digimon you want is PlatinumSukamon, because it has an XP bonus that stacks with itself and with Tactician USBs. Three of those will make grinding go lickety-split.
... well how would I... get one of those?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Zereth posted:

... well how would I... get one of those?

A suggested path for PlatinumNumemon, to grind early in Chapter 4 (this takes a few hours), but can be done really anytime after, in the first game is

quote:

Wanyamon > Kudamon > GoldNumemon > Vademon (for Nightmare III) > de-digivolve to GoldNumemon > PlatinumNumemon

One suggested path for Hacker's Memory (for PlatinumSukamon and then to PlatinumNumemon) is

quote:

(Kuramon ->) Tsumemon -> Keramon -> Bakemon (Physical Drain Lv. 25) -> Keramon -> PlatinumSukamon (Character Reversal Lv. 25) -> Hackmon (Wolkenapalm III Lv. 12) -> PlatinumSukamon -> Etemon (Escape Dash Lv. 25) -> PlatinumNumemon (Guard Break Field Lv. 50)

Mostly for good skills, so three can be frontline.

For added exp, you'll want three Tactician USBs on each.

I can say, at least in the first game, going all in on that isn't at all necessary, except really for the post-game stuff. I beat the main game easily, with never going that far.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I just finished DQ 11 and am winding down on Ys 8. I was thinking of getting another JRPG on the switch after I'm done. Part of me wants to go with Atelier Ryza, as that's the new hotness and it seems to be a different sort of game than I'm used to. That said, I feel like most people would say to go with something like Tales of Vesperia, as I'm still fairly new to JRPGs as a genre and not having played a Tales game is sacrilegious. Any thoughts?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The coldsteel 2 battle theme sure is 50 seconds of set up so you never hear the full song in a normal fight huh

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I just finished DQ 11 and am winding down on Ys 8. I was thinking of getting another JRPG on the switch after I'm done. Part of me wants to go with Atelier Ryza, as that's the new hotness and it seems to be a different sort of game than I'm used to. That said, I feel like most people would say to go with something like Tales of Vesperia, as I'm still fairly new to JRPGs as a genre and not having played a Tales game is sacrilegious. Any thoughts?

Vesperia is not a very good Tales game, I'd wait for them to port a different one to Switch if you need it to be on there. The story crashes and burns in the 2nd half and it holds back combat mechanics for so long compared to other games in the series that you don't really get to do the fun stuff until the very end or in new game+.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The coldsteel 2 battle theme sure is 50 seconds of set up so you never hear the full song in a normal fight huh

i hate the intro part of the song too so it was especially painful for me

all the other like 10 or so songs that play in battle are awesome as hell though

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The Persona 4 theme was so loving bad for that. Every battle starting with

Now I FACE out, I HOLD out
I reach out to the truth of my life

every goddamn time became grating. I'm glad PS4G added a different, better theme that sometimes played.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I’m still a big fan of the P4 tracks, even if it’s been a couple years since I touched them

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

reach out for the truth is good and i never got tired of it

the P5 one gets worn out much faster

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
How soon we forget

BabyBabyBabyBaby-

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
reach out to the truth is the best part of P4

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

the p5 one gets a little more staying power because if you're able to wipeout the enemy team in one turn then the song is expertly timed to hit the chorus just as you land the killing blow

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Tales of Woe posted:

Same, I thought that in the end most of P5 songs just weren't there while I still listen to the P4 OST occasionally.

The one from boss(or midboss?) fights that plays in the Dancing All Night theme for the Ps4 is great though.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

cheetah7071 posted:

reach out to the truth is the best part of P4

:agreed:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
XseeD is having a sale on Steam and I'm wondering how tied up the Cold Steel games are. I think 1 and 2 have a cliffhanger like Sky 1 and 2 but what about the ending of 2? Can you just sorta sit on it or its going to be a whole thing with 3 and 4 as well?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
CS2 has an ending. Not an "and they all lived happily ever after" ending, but an ending.

Actually it has like 3 endings in a row.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though CS2 is definitely a cliffhanger, it isn’t a particularly interesting one but it definitely doesn’t really close anything

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Cold Steel 2's ending is less a cliffhanger and more just setup for 3. So sitting on it shouldn't be too bad compared to like Sky 1, but it probably also varies from person to person.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

40-Degree Day posted:

I literally started Cold Steel 1 this morning and my FOMO is real when it comes to RPGs. Anyone got a good guide for these hidden quests?

Thanks~!

What is Fomo?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Fear Of Missing Out, generally being anxious about going through a playthrough without seeing all (possible) things.

Sometimes its exploited by developers, such as timed events in online games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
cold steel 2's ending doesn't resolve the entire saga, but it does resolve the arc of that entire period of the characters' lives and their relationships with each other

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Good enough! That feels like a more direct answer to what I was thinking, thanks, and also the other folks who answered.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah 2's ending is not going to make you feel like you have to immediately play 3.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hwurmp posted:

Not quite.

Champion-tier plain-old Sukamon is what you want to start with, and the goal is PlatinumNumemon to get that sweet Mega-tier Digimon with 2x EXP.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Id probably recommend Ryza over Vesperia even though I dont even like the Atelier games at all because Vesperia is a very rough relic of when it came out and the rerelease does nothing to fix this.

The new version also forces you to play the game with the character they added later and she is easily in the running for worst added content to a game ever.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Cool, thanks, I'll look into that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not quite.

Champion-tier plain-old Sukamon is what you want to start with, and the goal is PlatinumNumemon to get that sweet Mega-tier Digimon with 2x EXP.

PlatinumSukamon gets you that XP bonus earlier, and is just two digivolutions away from PlatinumNumemon. The in-between stage, Etemon, can learn Nightmare III at level 45, so you don't need to do any convoluted malarkey.

Also Etemon is a monkey mascot that sings love songs. The choice is clear.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 2, 2019

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Barudak posted:

Id probably recommend Ryza over Vesperia even though I dont even like the Atelier games at all because Vesperia is a very rough relic of when it came out and the rerelease does nothing to fix this.

The new version also forces you to play the game with the character they added later and she is easily in the running for worst added content to a game ever.

Wrong, Patty owns and is super fun to play.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
patty is the only character in tales of vesperia who even approaches being enjoyable to use in combat if you haven't platinum new game +ed the game three times prior to your current playthrough

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

patty is not only the only character in vesperia who's at all fun to play she also, despite being added in later, fits into the plot better and is treated with more respect by the plot than half the main cast

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

patty is not only the only character in vesperia who's at all fun to play she also, despite being added in later, fits into the plot better and is treated with more respect by the plot than half the main cast

I remember Patty really obviously sticking out. She joins by falling into the frame and has her entire character arc in a single dungeon. (Though you could say the same about Raven.)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
at least she gets to have a character arc

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
her character arc is crowded out by her infatuation with yuri, which got really loving grating

especially because one of the original cast's strongest points was that it wasn't preoccupied with romance, comedic or otherwise

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'll take someone being comically infatuated with yuri over the story wrenching away one of the most likable characters for hours at a time to have her beg for yuri to save her and never in any way acknowledge her relationship with the one character she actually had something sweet going on with beyond like, two throwaway lines that are given zero importance or weight

gently caress the end of act 2 so hard god i have never had a single sequence bitter me so much with a tales game before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I remember there being a few posts about good places to start with atelier games, but who posted them, and they're apparently older than I thought. Anyone got a link to one of them handy?