Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Mr. Powers posted:

What are everyone's thoughts on picking a closing date out of spite? We are scheduled for on or before the 18th. The seller wanted to move up to either today or the 12th through the 15th. The movers can't move up, so there's no reason for me to close sooner than the 18th. The seller has also been very difficult. It kind of feels reasonable for me to just say "nah" on moving it up.

Spite played a significant role in our negotiations. A+, no regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Having movers scheduled to come the same day as closing is risky on your part. What if there is a delay from the bank, or from the sellers, or title co, or anything else and you scheduled closing for the 18th

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

lampey posted:

Having movers scheduled to come the same day as closing is risky on your part. What if there is a delay from the bank, or from the sellers, or title co, or anything else and you scheduled closing for the 18th

They're scheduled for the day after. Yes, there is risk. The opposite problem is what the sellers ran into which is not having movers schedule, waiting for the close date to move, and then not being able to move them up.

Title has already been cleared. Date is being confirmed with sellers now. The bank has confirmed all my documents are complete. Nothing can go wrong*.

*Yes, I know something can and will probably go wrong. It's reasonable risk at this point. I can push movers out, I can't pull them in.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Just put in an offer. Realtor advised us to offer 25% below asking price. We're banking on the fact that it's about to be heavy snow time...

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Yooper posted:

Just put in an offer. Realtor advised us to offer 25% below asking price. We're banking on the fact that it's about to be heavy snow time...

drat, back in mid-late September my realtor was suggesting $15k/8% under (or so) would be insulting to the point of just not working with me no matter what I came up to.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
We initially offered 15k less than list, they countered with list but them paying $5k closing costs, ended up settling at list + $9500 closing costs paid by seller.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

What are everyone's thoughts on picking a closing date out of spite? We are scheduled for on or before the 18th. The seller wanted to move up to either today or the 12th through the 15th. The movers can't move up, so there's no reason for me to close sooner than the 18th. The seller has also been very difficult. It kind of feels reasonable for me to just say "nah" on moving it up.

Moving it up from the 18th to the 15th isn't too terrible, you'd have a weekend to do any additional cleaning or even paint something before your movers show up, but if the 15th would be inconvenient for you than you don't have to do it.

For my own part it was great having the house nearly a full month before we moved in; we sanded down and refinished our hardwood floors and repainted most of the interior and didn't have to try to do that poo poo with the house full of our stuff, which would have been awful.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Leperflesh posted:

Moving it up from the 18th to the 15th isn't too terrible, you'd have a weekend to do any additional cleaning or even paint something before your movers show up, but if the 15th would be inconvenient for you than you don't have to do it.

For my own part it was great having the house nearly a full month before we moved in; we sanded down and refinished our hardwood floors and repainted most of the interior and didn't have to try to do that poo poo with the house full of our stuff, which would have been awful.

I did consider that. It's not that the 15th or any other date is inconvenient. The only real point against it is paying interest and property taxes on a house I'm not living in. There is no serious interior work that needs to be done (aside from probably a more thorough than broom clean cleaning) except replacing the attic pull-down. Most of the projects are basement or outside.

But yeah, the 15th wouldn't be bad. I'd take the 15th through the 19th off, rather than 18th through the 20th.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'd consider moving it up to the 15th just so the sellers don't do something lovely to the house that you won't find until 2 months later or leave a bunch of garbage in a basement corner. I mean they may do that anyways, but don't give them a reason to gently caress with you if you can live with moving it up a few days.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The 18th was originally their chosen date (which was originally Black Friday). It's not like I'm pulling a date out of my rear end purely based on spite. I'm just declining to alter it further based on spite.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Have you seen the house completely empty, or only full of their stuff?

I wouldn't sweat 3 days of property taxes, that's a trivial amount of money. I can get not wanting to bend further to their demands, but it's also really a great idea for them to not be mad at you on their way out the door if you can help it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Leperflesh posted:

Have you seen the house completely empty, or only full of their stuff?

I wouldn't sweat 3 days of property taxes, that's a trivial amount of money. I can get not wanting to bend further to their demands, but it's also really a great idea for them to not be mad at you on their way out the door if you can help it.

Everyone already hates me because I am the buyer. The house is being sold as a part of a messy divorce and I'm not sure anyone really wants to leave it. Chances are there will still be dog poo poo in the side yard regardless of the closing date.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fair enough!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Mr. Powers posted:

Everyone already hates me because I am the buyer. The house is being sold as a part of a messy divorce and I'm not sure anyone really wants to leave it. Chances are there will still be dog poo poo in the side yard regardless of the closing date.

At my closing, the sellers (who were divorcing) and we totally lowballed right before the market took of and tried to get pissy with price for the propane that was left in the tank. The current market price was something like 1.50 gallon, and the seller was all about "I paid 1.99 a gallon and that's what your giving me."

I did the math in my head, figured out the difference was 20 dollars, and said "That's only about 20 dollars difference, if you guys are that hard up I can live with it."

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

daslog posted:

At my closing, the sellers (who were divorcing) and we totally lowballed right before the market took of and tried to get pissy with price for the propane that was left in the tank. The current market price was something like 1.50 gallon, and the seller was all about "I paid 1.99 a gallon and that's what your giving me."

I did the math in my head, figured out the difference was 20 dollars, and said "That's only about 20 dollars difference, if you guys are that hard up I can live with it."

That's about 18 hours of property taxes!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

daslog posted:

I'd have told them to feel free to take the propane with them, but the tank was property and not going so they'd have to go ahead and drain the propane into their own tank themselves, before closing.

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011
Finally got a hold of my closing dude at better, after a week and five emails, three messages on their site and three phone calls. "Oh you guys want to sign the documents tomorrow because you can't get out of work M-Th? Well I can send the paperwork tonight but you're probably going to have to get a mobile notary." Thanks man, I'm sure that's a really cheap! Sure appreciate you working so hard on my behalf!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Hey everyone proposing I move it up in spite of spite... I heard back from my realtor, and the 18th (the day that we originally moved it to weeks ago based on the seller's request) is not good because it is two days after seller's son's birthday (a fact that apparently didn't matter weeks ago). They asked to do it the 19th instead (i.e. moving day) and so I just said pick any day the prior week and we will do it then because I am not pushing my move out past Thanksgiving.

The end result is going to end up being exactly what everyone suggested and that just makes me want to do spiteful things even more.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I may have mentioned this in the thread a while back, but I'm thinking of refinancing my mortgage. I've been in the house a little over a year, purchased May 2018, but I'm realizing I got kind of a lovely rate for the time (4.875%) and could probably do a lot better now. What rate should I be shooting for? Are the rates I see online at places like Nerdwallet to be trusted? I'm seeing stuff in the 3.5-3.625% range which seems like it'd be well worth refinancing to get. What should I shoot for? And how do I go about it, should I contact multiple lenders? I was going to try talking to my current mortgage holder first and just go in with a number in mind, but am I better off getting quotes from other lenders first? I'm not gonna lie, I'm not relishing the idea of going through the whole process again already, but on the other hand I probably still have a lot of the necessary documents handy.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

I may have mentioned this in the thread a while back, but I'm thinking of refinancing my mortgage. I've been in the house a little over a year, purchased May 2018, but I'm realizing I got kind of a lovely rate for the time (4.875%) and could probably do a lot better now. What rate should I be shooting for? Are the rates I see online at places like Nerdwallet to be trusted? I'm seeing stuff in the 3.5-3.625% range which seems like it'd be well worth refinancing to get. What should I shoot for? And how do I go about it, should I contact multiple lenders? I was going to try talking to my current mortgage holder first and just go in with a number in mind, but am I better off getting quotes from other lenders first? I'm not gonna lie, I'm not relishing the idea of going through the whole process again already, but on the other hand I probably still have a lot of the necessary documents handy.

I was in the same boat with the same numbers, same time frame and just refinanced at 3.625 a month or so back. I got a quote at 3.875, two quotes at 3.625 and the second one was much lower closing costs so I went with them (Provident fwiw). I’d get multiple quotes to compare. Refinancing was less of a pain than the original financing, but I still had to go back and forth with them and resend the same info. to multiple people multiple times.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

MockingQuantum posted:

I refi'ed through some random dudes on Zillow and it worked out good for me. They seemed a touch amateurish, but w/e, got a good rate and very little hassle. Use this link: https://www.zillow.com/mortgage-rates not their sales app.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So after all the hullabaloo with closing dates yesterday the seller asked to close on the loving 12th which is where I started yesterday. loving hell.

Whatever, it's the date I wanted. I have to wait a week for the movers, but I can move my tractor, dead car, and stuff at my Mom's ahead of that.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Our closing is getting pushed back by two days and now the seller (real estate agent who finished the remodel and flipped it) wants a check for $126/day because of how high her interest is?

She’s weirdly petty and I hate her but I want to get this over with she’s going to get her check.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

zelah posted:

Our closing is getting pushed back by two days and now the seller (real estate agent who finished the remodel and flipped it) wants a check for $126/day because of how high her interest is?

She’s weirdly petty and I hate her but I want to get this over with she’s going to get her check.

You know what costs more than that? The sale falling through.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

zelah posted:

Ouch @ buying a flipped house.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Precious owner got halfway through the remodel (replaced roof, tore out all the flooring, painted half the inside) then decided living in town wasn’t for him anymore and sold it to a realtor who finished it up.

E: should say previous, but neighbors said he was kinda weird so maybe precious too

zelah fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 1, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

zelah posted:

Precious owner got halfway through the remodel (replaced roof, tore out all the flooring, painted half the inside) then decided living in town wasn’t for him anymore and sold it to a realtor who finished it up.

That's a soviet parade full of red flags in one single sentence.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Well we’re closing next week. If it all falls apart, financially or structurally, I’ll be sure to post an update.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

zelah posted:

Well we’re closing next week. If it all falls apart, financially or structurally, I’ll be sure to post an update.

I think I speak for the thread when I say we look forward to your updates.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I've been banking with PNC for over a decade, and decided to use them for my mortgage because why not?

But I've been having a real poo poo time of dealing with them as a lender-- them sending me the same documents to esign over and over with no communication, asking for documents that make zero sense (the closing cost estimate from my realtor? a letter from my work email to validate that I work there?) and a general lack of like, not telling me what the gently caress is going on or what they want

Went and looked up reviews to see what other people are saying and yikes it's like one 5 star review and two 2 star reviews and six hundred 1 star reviews. Even their internal glassdoor reviews are like "yeah I work here and nobody knows what the gently caress they're doing"

So uh, here's hoping that things smooth out a bit and I don't end up like the people who got their closing pushed out by literal months.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sockser posted:

I've been banking with PNC for over a decade, and decided to use them for my mortgage because why not?

Because mortgage are commodity products with varying levels of quality of origination service. Pretty sure all originators are poo poo.....it's not an industry that attracts the best nor brightest.

I doubt PNC keeps a mortgage portfolio, so it's just gonna get sold off the same as if you went with pretty much any other lender who may have been able to offer you a better rate, lower costs or better origination service.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sockser posted:

Because you should shop around? You might save thousands / sanity / both on buying it, and large amounts on your rate, which could also be thousands to 10's of thousands over the course of the loan. Start now getting bids, they're free.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

Because mortgage are commodity products with varying levels of quality of origination service. Pretty sure all originators are poo poo.....it's not an industry that attracts the best nor brightest.

I doubt PNC keeps a mortgage portfolio, so it's just gonna get sold off the same as if you went with pretty much any other lender who may have been able to offer you a better rate, lower costs or better origination service.

PNC bought some service in like 2010? so they’re doing servicing now too, and it sounds like that’s also a pain in the rear end

H110Hawk posted:

Because you should shop around? You might save thousands / sanity / both on buying it, and large amounts on your rate, which could also be thousands to 10's of thousands over the course of the loan. Start now getting bids, they're free.

I was a bit flippant in my last post— I shopped around on rates, couldn’t find a rate better for a 30yr, and never really thought about it past that.

I didn’t expect that the quality of origination service between lenders would be this deep of a valley, and in hindsight I def should have done a lot more research on that front.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sockser posted:

I was a bit flippant in my last post— I shopped around on rates, couldn’t find a rate better for a 30yr, and never really thought about it past that.

I didn’t expect that the quality of origination service between lenders would be this deep of a valley, and in hindsight I def should have done a lot more research on that front.

It's pretty nuts how far it swings if you don't look past rate. Lots of banks start out with thousands of dollars in box A of your Loan Estimate HUD form that are just markup, hoping for folks just like you who don't shop past rate or existing relationship. Now you know. Get 3 loan estimates, the official HUD form. Tell anyone who won't give it to you that they aren't to contact you again without that form in your hand.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

So I know the Fed's key interest rate is related to mortgage interest rates, but how directly related are they? Basically I'm wondering if I should get refi quotes now, or wait for mortgage rates to respond (assuming that's something that you can actually expect/rely on). I'm not in any particular rush to refinance so I can afford to wait a month or two if it's going to benefit me in the long run.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

So I know the Fed's key interest rate is related to mortgage interest rates, but how directly related are they? Basically I'm wondering if I should get refi quotes now, or wait for mortgage rates to respond (assuming that's something that you can actually expect/rely on). I'm not in any particular rush to refinance so I can afford to wait a month or two if it's going to benefit me in the long run.

They are correlated because bond rates on the open market are correlated, but mortgage rates are really directly related to 10 and 30 year bond rates more than anything. You can look at historical charts of the rates to get an idea of how good or bad it is right now to refinance.

https://www.macrotrends.net/2016/10-year-treasury-bond-rate-yield-chart

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I just refi’d 30yr @ 3.25 with 1 point through New American Funding (through Zillow). Was like 4.5k total including appraisal and closing costs.

e: I’m satisfied with the service and form request / submission process. I haven’t actually closed yet, but everything so far has been quite smooth.

DNK fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 3, 2019

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005

Sockser posted:

But I've been having a real poo poo time of dealing with them as a lender-- them sending me the same documents to esign over and over with no communication, asking for documents that make zero sense (the closing cost estimate from my realtor? a letter from my work email to validate that I work there?) and a general lack of like, not telling me what the gently caress is going on or what they want

Went and looked up reviews to see what other people are saying and yikes it's like one 5 star review and two 2 star reviews and six hundred 1 star reviews. Even their internal glassdoor reviews are like "yeah I work here and nobody knows what the gently caress they're doing"

So uh, here's hoping that things smooth out a bit and I don't end up like the people who got their closing pushed out by literal months.

I have my mortgage through PNC Bank, so I can tell you first hand that there's a lot of truth to those reviews.

Things were alright at the beginning. They told me I was eligible for a loan that was way higher than I ended up taking. I can't remember exactly how much, but it would have been a nightmare had I taken such a huge loan.

So, after looking around and getting an offer accepted, I had a discussion with the woman handling the case. She informs me that since the loan will end up being so low, I'm not eligible for a 30 year mortgage and I have to take either a 15 or 10 year. I wasn't planning on a 30 year anyway, but I still thought it wasn't entirely forthcoming of them not to mention that this was a possibility before I made an offer. She also kept reminding me how low the amount was, saying things like "it's so low" and "we usually close higher amounts than this, so you're unusual." Thanks for reminding me how poor I am, lady.

I got a good deal on interest- 3.125%. I did make a 30% down payment and took a 15 year loan, so that's what kept the interest rate so low. Your rate will probably be higher.

They had me send them all the usual forms, so there wasn't anything out of the ordinary there. I had to send them my proof of employment twice for some reason.

The real problem I had with them was the day of closing. I closed Dec 20th, 2016. From the beginning I was nervous about how close this was to the holidays. Everything went well up to the end. We called the bank but they wouldn't close. My agent called again and spent about 10 minutes on the phone and we found out that the lady handling the closing had left early for the holidays. There was no one who could finish the closing on her behalf, so they had to call her outside of work. It took her nearly a half hour to get back to us and it turns out there was some form the seller's agent needed to fax over before closing could be completed. However, at no point during any of the process did the bank ever mention that this form was needed. She explained that she thought she emailed that to us, but neither my agent or the seller's agent ever got this email. If we couldn't get a hold of her, the deal may not have closed until after the new year, and since I had already terminated my lease for my apartment I could have had to rent a storage locker and haul all my stuff into it and live with my parents for a couple weeks until she got back from vacation. Hell, the seller would have been within his rights to call off the whole deal- it's not his fault my bank can't get its' poo poo together. My agent, the seller's agent, the title company employee and I all had to stay over an hour longer than necessary just sitting around, all the while I was quietly panicking over this. The deal closed, but it was outrageously unprofessional for the bank to drop the ball like that and leave us to chase them down.

I can't wait until my loan is paid off. When it is, I'm withdrawing everything from them and banking with my local credit union. I'm so glad I never set up a retirement account of some kind with them. gently caress big banks.

So my advice to you is this-

1. If you can do so, don't close within days of a major holiday. Chances are way too good that a key player will be unavailable.
2. Don't go with PNC if you want a smooth process. Maybe their rates are good compared to other lenders, but they'll jerk you around during what's probably the most financially vulnerable time of your life.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Vinny the Shark posted:

1. If you can do so, don't close within days of a major holiday. Chances are way too good that a key player will be unavailable.
2. Don't go with PNC if you want a smooth process. Maybe their rates are good compared to other lenders, but they'll jerk you around during what's probably the most financially vulnerable time of your life.

1. My closing is scheduled for black friday :suicide:
2. Bit late for that one, I've already paid them for appraisal and credit report so I'm out $600 if I switch now, which I really would rather not do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sockser posted:

1. My closing is scheduled for black friday :suicide:
2. Bit late for that one, I've already paid them for appraisal and credit report so I'm out $600 if I switch now, which I really would rather not do

I repeat you could potentially save more than that in another bank.