Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

amigolupus posted:

Yeah, it's weird because there really is no need for Kasumi when Shiho is right there. They could have had Shiho channel her anger at what happened to her and desire to not let such abuse of power happen to others be her main motivation for joining the Thieves once she gets out of the hospital.

TBH I wish they just left Shiho alone as she suffered enough from the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
What's their plea system like? Cuz 90÷ of American cases go to plead regardless of innocence just because it's real easy to convince people to take a plea if going to trial means getting the book thrown at you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Here's a good article. Phoenix Wright is shockingly accurate satire but not in the way people pretend it is.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Endorph posted:

Here's a good article. Phoenix Wright is shockingly accurate satire but not in the way people pretend it is.

Thanks for this informative link! I guess I was way off base.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Endorph posted:

Wow, you're drat right it is. I started having legit flashbacks to the original Ace Attorney trilogy while reading this one. I knew they were accurate but I didn't know just how much of that wasn't a joke and/or gameplay contrivance.

I'm also, if anything, now a little disappointed in the prequels (the ones with Sherlock Holmes that never got localized for literally every reason you would choose not to) for not being as accurate. But I suppose if they were they wouldn't even have a game, since Japan didn't have defense attorneys at all at the time.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

:laffo: The new boss is Azathoth. Persona 1/2 fans cucked yet again.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
Having seen streamers play the back-half of the game I think it's unbelievable they're charging full price for this.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Gen. Ripper posted:

Huh. Okay.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Skanker posted:

Having seen streamers play the back-half of the game I think it's unbelievable they're charging full price for this.

i was preparing for disappointment but every new plot point is such a tiresome cliche

even when the plot goes stupid it's because they're using especially stupid cliches, it's a soap-opera level of roteness

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Gen. Ripper posted:

Seeing as Atlus is charging premium price for what is looking like a bleach-tier filler arc. The only ones getting cucked are modern personal fans. This seems like a worse upgrade than both previous games

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Is there an actual summary of the new story anywhere so I don't have to trawl through the depths of Reddit?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
To be fair this may just sound worse in summary than in actual story.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Wow, you're drat right it is. I started having legit flashbacks to the original Ace Attorney trilogy while reading this one. I knew they were accurate but I didn't know just how much of that wasn't a joke and/or gameplay contrivance.

I'm also, if anything, now a little disappointed in the prequels (the ones with Sherlock Holmes that never got localized for literally every reason you would choose not to) for not being as accurate. But I suppose if they were they wouldn't even have a game, since Japan didn't have defense attorneys at all at the time.
The funniest part is how you'd think the judge being so weak-wristed is an excuse to let the prosecutors be the bad guys, but if anything it's the most accurate part of the parody.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah a summary of stuff is almost always going to sound worse than how it actually is when presented to you as intended. I have very little hope for it actually being good, though.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Wow, the "dream world" ending is actually making me cry like a little bitch. Everyone's just so happy... :cry:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm not sure how Kasumi not being in the game for most of it is handled well in any situation.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Item Getter posted:

Is there an actual summary of the new story anywhere so I don't have to trawl through the depths of Reddit?

this is what i was able to gather

NO poo poo SERIOUS SPOILERS FOR PERSONA 5 ROYAL CONTENT BELOW

DO NOT MOUSE OVER THESE BLACK BARS IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO READ SOME IDIOT'S HALF-UNDERSTOOD SUMMARY OF PERSONA 5 ROYAL CONTENT

Nearly all of the new content is back-loaded into the new semesters. Kasumi and Maruki (the therapist) have confidant scenes, but Kasumi herself doesn't join until post-Yaldabaoth. Akechi bites it like usual but returns in time to give himself up in Joker's place, allowing you to play through the winter semester.

Maruki is the villain of the new arc. He's an amateur cognitive psience researcher who became obsessed with the subject after his girlfriend ended up vegetative due to a traumatic accident; in the midst of his own grief over this, an unknown presence contacted him and gave him a Persona, which he used to re-jigger her cognition so that she regained consciousness. He botched the job, however, and she lost all memory of him in the process. He continued to use his research and Persona to tamper with the minds of others, one of which was Kasumi, who's not actually "Kasumi" at all but her sister Sumire. Kasumi died in a car accident years back and Maruki used his powers to tweak Sumire's mind into taking on her identity to repress her own inferiority complex and guilt issues.

Maruki's friendly, open nature towards the Thieves makes them trust him over the course of the game, and when Yaldabaoth topples and the Thieves effectively take his place in the minds of the populace, that trust makes Maruki way, way more powerful - apparently their vision of him as a reliable adult or something coupled with their new status as "gods" in the collective unconscious gave him unfettered access to everyone's minds, which he uses to create the lotus-eater world with alive Wakaba and HANDSOME CAT. It only fails to affect Kasumi, Joker, and Akechi, the latter of whom is unconditionally forgiven and released from prison in the new world and then immediately devotes himself to destroying it, probably because he's had enough of living a lie. Joker reality-checks the Thieves and they confront and defeat Maruki, revealing Kasumi/Sumire's secret in the process. She formally joins the party at this point, and a shaken Maruki asks the Thieves to properly steal his heart because his Shadow is bound to pick up where he left off. This is where the last free period and Akechi and Sumire's full Social Links unlock, along with the chance to get everyone's third Personas.

It turns out the presence that gave Maruki his Persona was actually Azathoth, and that Akechi really did die in the ship's boiler room but came back as a side-effect of Maruki's dream world, only persisting because keeping Akechi alive was Joker's own greatest wish. I am picturing the look on your face right now and mine is a hearty laugh. Maruki's Shadow says that Akechi will disappear if he's defeated and Akechi himself doesn't give a poo poo. I'm fuzzy on the details of the ending, in part because it looks like the streamer Reddit was keeping up with didn't get the best one - Joker just takes a cab home by himself with a few asides about how the rest of the Thieves are living in the days to come.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 2, 2019

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cleretic posted:

They might fudge it regardless since I think the tutorial takes place in Japan, but the whole thing about those games is that they're mostly in London and during a period where students were sent overseas to learn about foreign systems.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Oxxidation posted:

this is what i was able to gather

NO poo poo SERIOUS SPOILERS FOR PERSONA 5 ROYAL CONTENT BELOW

DO NOT MOUSE OVER THESE BLACK BARS IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO READ SOME IDIOT'S HALF-UNDERSTOOD SUMMARY OF PERSONA 5 ROYAL CONTENT

Nearly all of the new content is back-loaded into the new semesters. Kasumi and Maruki (the therapist) have confidant scenes, but Kasumi herself doesn't join until post-Yaldabaoth. Akechi bites it like usual but returns in time to give himself up in Joker's place, allowing you to play through the winter semester.

Maruki is the villain of the new arc. He's an amateur cognitive psience researcher who became obsessed with the subject after his girlfriend ended up vegetative due to a traumatic accident; in the midst of his own grief over this, an unknown presence contacted him and gave him a Persona, which he used to re-jigger her cognition so that she regained consciousness. He botched the job, however, and she lost all memory of him in the process. He continued to use his research and Persona to tamper with the minds of others, one of which was Kasumi, who's not actually "Kasumi" at all but her sister Sumire. Kasumi died in a car accident years back and Maruki used his powers to tweak Sumire's mind into taking on her identity to repress her own inferiority complex and guilt issues.

Maruki's friendly, open nature towards the Thieves makes them trust him over the course of the game, and when Yaldabaoth topples and the Thieves effectively take his place in the minds of the populace, that trust makes Maruki way, way more powerful - apparently their vision of him as a reliable adult or something coupled with their new status as "gods" in the collective unconscious gave him unfettered access to everyone's minds, which he uses to create the lotus-eater world with alive Wakaba and HANDSOME CAT. It only fails to effect Kasumi, Joker, and Akechi, the latter of whom is unconditionally forgiven and released from prison in the new world and then immediately devotes himself to destroying it, probably because he's had enough of living a lie. Joker reality-checks the Thieves and they confront and defeat Maruki, revealing Kasumi/Sumire's secret in the process. She formally joins the party at this point, and a shaken Maruki asks the Thieves to properly steal his heart because his Shadow is bound to pick up where he left off. This is where the last free period and Akechi and Sumire's full Social Links unlock, along with the chance to get everyone's third Personas.

It turns out the presence that gave Maruki his Persona was actually Azathoth, and that Akechi really did die in the ship's boiler room but came back as a side-effect of Maruki's dream world, only persisting because keeping Akechi alive was Joker's own greatest wish. I am picturing the look on your face right now and mine is a hearty laugh. Maruki's Shadow says that Akechi will disappear if he's defeated and Akechi himself doesn't give a poo poo. I'm fuzzy on the details of the ending, in part because it looks like the streamer Reddit was keeping up with didn't get the best one - Joker just takes a cab home by himself with a few asides about how the rest of the Thieves are living in the days to come.

Gonna be honest, that sounds way better than I thought this would turn out

Still seems completely pointless and unnecessary but :shrug:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zore posted:

Gonna be honest, that sounds way better than I thought this would turn out

Still seems completely pointless and unnecessary but :shrug:

in summary at least it comes off as a total redux of Persona 4's final arc combined with that ridiculous "sibling impersonation" cliche. maruki is basically a more successful namatame with extra tentacles

i could get a little outraged over japan's stigmatization of mental health tying into the ultimate baddie of the game being a goddamn therapist but it's that sameyness that gets to me most. do these guys just not have any new ideas?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm not going to spoil this because this is a lovely business practice Atlus has gotten accustomed too. But not only us there another DLC schedule for this game, but Joker's super ultimate persona costs 300 yen to get.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, everything else aside, Royal sounds insanely unappealing economically if you already owned the game. You even have to pay a (very small) fee to use any DLC you purchased for vanilla, and it's still full price if you haven't.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I'm ten thousand percent just gonna watch the Goro S. Link on youtube and only watch the new semester stuff where goro is there. i have no interest at all in a sixth Mysterious New Girl and i'm someone who liked Marie

Oxxidation posted:

[b]NO poo poo SERIOUS SPOILERS FOR PERSONA 5 ROYAL CONTENT BELOW
you can't see my eyebrow right now

but trust me im raising it

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
man, the ace attorney talk earlier was foreshadowing, huh?

shocked and surprised that the new male character is another tragic villain. pfff

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I sincerely don't see myself playing this game once again.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

In the hands of a better writer Maruki's cognition-warping stuff after the fall of Yaldy could have been an interesting metaphor for how you can't just swap out leaders and need to completely tear down oppressive systems, but of course Atlus cocked it up and there's basically no reason to not side with him.

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
Like a lot of Persona 5 the new stuff has a lot of ideas that were already done better in Personas 2.

The new palace plot feels like it would work better before the Yaldabaoth bit but as it is it has some strong "OVA movie set after the rest of the series" vibes. At least they finally realized that if you were going to have the dungeons be tied into an antagonist's backstory and perspectives they should probably have backstory and perspectives fleshed out enough to make a 4 hour dungeon not super tedious.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gen. Ripper posted:

In the hands of a better writer Maruki's cognition-warping stuff after the fall of Yaldy could have been an interesting metaphor for how you can't just swap out leaders and need to completely tear down oppressive systems, but of course Atlus cocked it up and there's basically no reason to not side with him.

the anti-escapism angle that these rpg's love so much is starting to feel really hollow without ever presenting an alternative besides "buck up and do your best!"

the world's on fire, guys, bucking up and doing one's best does not appear to cut the mustard

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Don't you dare talk smack about mustard! :mad:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Persona Q3 should just have all the villains as the characters stuck in the weird dimension. Kandori, JOKER, other JOKER, Ryoji, Adachi, Akechi, etc.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

MonsieurChoc posted:

Persona Q3 should just have all the villains as the characters stuck in the weird dimension. Kandori, JOKER, other JOKER, Ryoji, Adachi, Akechi, etc.
A game where the Persona Squad is made up of the evil Persona users from past games, just a gang of horrible people bonding over being horrible people.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oxxidation posted:

the anti-escapism angle that these rpg's love so much is starting to feel really hollow without ever presenting an alternative besides "buck up and do your best!"

the world's on fire, guys, bucking up and doing one's best does not appear to cut the mustard

Also, in this situation the fake world doesn't seem to have an actual downsides. Everyone is happier, and that's bad because ??????. Normally in these scenarios the happiness caused by the Lotus machine comes at some kind of terrible cost (much like how escapism can be incredibly damaging in real life if done in unhealthy ways), but here the only downside is that it's "not true" and like....so?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

Only if the main character from Persona 5 is also there for maximum confusion.
(And also the one from Batman)

The members of Strega are too boring to make the cut.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Also, in this situation the fake world doesn't seem to have an actual downsides. Everyone is happier, and that's bad because ??????. Normally in these scenarios the happiness caused by the Lotus machine comes at some kind of terrible cost (much like how escapism can be incredibly damaging in real life if done in unhealthy ways), but here the only downside is that it's "not true" and like....so?

There's a fairly famous real world philosophical counter to this:
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09515089.2017.1406600

quote:

In order to show that happiness cannot be equated with pleasurable experiences, Robert Nozick (1974) invented a thought experiment involving an experience machine. In this thought experiment, we are to imagine that we can choose to plug into an experience machine that ensures our having exclusively pleasurable experiences. Nozick (1974, p. 646) supposes that we will reject this offer, because we want to live a life that is “in contact with reality” (more on this below). This paper takes Nozick’s thought experiment as a starting point for a survey study, aiming to thereby determine the level of support for the intuition this thought experiment seeks to bring into relief.

[...]

Hedonism is the view that happiness can be reduced to pleasurable experiences. When considering this position, Nozick (1974, p. 644) asks, “What else can matter to us, other than how our lives feel from the inside?” A hedonist will be inclined to read this as a rhetorical question, with “nothing” as the obvious answer. Nozick (1974, p. 646), however, rejects hedonism and suggests instead, “Perhaps what we desire is to live (an active verb) ourselves, in contact with reality (And this machines cannot do for us).” Dan Haybron (2011, p. 27) formulates Nozick’s key point as follows: “Beyond having positive mental states, it seems to matter both that our lives go well and that our state of mind is appropriately related to how things are.” Nozick’s point appears to be that people intrinsically value contact with reality in the sense that they value their mental states being veridical and their experiences being genuinely of our world.

Nozick mentions a number of things other than pleasurable experiences that matter to us. It matters to people that they do something rather than merely have experiences. Furthermore, it matters to them what kind of person they are, whether, for instance, they are courageous, kind, or intelligent. In light of this, Nozick (1974, p. 645) even concludes that “plugging into the machine is a kind of suicide.” The final consideration he mentions is that people care about being in touch with a reality that is deeper or more important than one that is manufactured, one that is real rather than artificial.

To be honest, I used to think exactly what you posted. But people are more dynamic than we give them credit for.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Funky Valentine posted:

A game where the Persona Squad is made up of the evil Persona users from past games, just a gang of horrible people bonding over being horrible people.

Pretty much. It would be amazing.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
no way, that's the perfect time to make revolver jesus interesting enough to match his sweet design

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Utgardaloki posted:

no way, that's the perfect time to make revolver jesus interesting enough to match his sweet design

And Jin, don't forget Jin and his unexplained briefcase!

And all of P5R's new story sounds like... well, that all sounds like good ideas, but not worth the full price of admission and clearly not well-executed. I can literally instantly come up with a way to improve it, and that's... not good.

If the 'human-level' villain is an amateur psientist who's used that to create a perfect world, and you don't want the angle to be that he's evil or that it comes at a cost (fair enough in both cases)... well, why not just make him bad at it? Everything's wrong, inconsistent and maybe horrifying and incomplete when you start looking at it, not to any real end, but because the guy that did all of this is just a dude with more power than he actually knows how to use and an idea that he cannot execute.

And it would actually make sense and end up working as an angle that the Phantom Thieves are the ones finding the cracks, because they're exactly the sort of people who would fall into the cracks of a well-intentioned but privileged guy's idea of a 'perfect world', they fall into humanity's blind spots anyway. Nobody's idea of a perfect world can match everybody else's, and trying to enforce yours is ultimately exactly what all of the people with Palaces were doing. Just because this guy's got good intentions doesn't mean he's got good results or that there aren't victims.

This is just off the top of my head, it could probably use work, but... well, so could what we're getting.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

NikkolasKing posted:

There's a fairly famous real world philosophical counter to this:
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09515089.2017.1406600

To be honest, I used to think exactly what you posted. But people are more dynamic than we give them credit for.

The thing is, if what I've read from people that have been watching the streams is correct, the way they chose to raise the stakes in the final act is by saying that Maruki's dream world is going to merge with the real world if the PTs don't stop him. So the fake reality where everything is good and everyone is happy is in danger of becoming the actual reality, and this is bad because...?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
everything about royal sounds dumb and pointless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So Persona 5 took Persona 2's themes and made them worse, whilst Royal takes more from Persona 1 with the dream world being eerily similar to what the DEVA machine does except also makes it worse.

Cool.