Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
There is a campaign expansion for Fria Ligan's Mutant Year Zero out now!

https://frialigan.se/en/store/?product_id=4259739140233

quote:

Mutant: Year Zero – The Gray Death
The door to the laboratory slid shut with a hiss. The battle was over, and the short man wiped a fleck of greenish fluid from his face. The lights in the ceiling flickered and cast a bleak glow over the fallen individuals on the floor in front of him. The man’s two accomplices – one immense and mechanical, the other shadowy – awaited new instructions.
“It is done,” the short man said.
“We have no time to lose. It is time to set our plan into motion. Soon, the entire Zone will be at our feet.”

The Gray Death is an epic campaign module to be used with the award-winning Mutant: Year Zero roleplaying game and its expansions. The Gray Death is a 96-page full-color hardback book that takes the stories in Mutant: Year Zero, Mutant: Genlab Alpha, Mutant: Mechatron and Mutant: Elysium and ties them all together. Mutants, animals, robots and humans must put their differences aside and unite against a common threat to the world at the end of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
It's funny that the cover art for that bears so much resemblance (thematically speaking) to the cover art for the proposed reprint of High Colonies:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Yeah that's too close to be coincidence.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Enh, just start playing Won't Get Fooled Again at 7:44 minutes in and it's a scene from any police procedural.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
As some quick happy news, I'm starting a new Savage Worlds: Adventure Edition game tonight with my regular group. I may have mentioned it's a sequel to the D&D 4e Zeitgeist campaign I wrapped up ... well, it was a year-ish ago? Maybe 18 months? That one was amazing - it was a ton of fun, and the ending was ripe for a sequel game.

We've been spending the time since in lower-involvement games - a brief-ish Godbound game that was ... pretty good, I guess? And a Dungeon Crawl Classics campaign that ran exactly how I wanted it to run. This is a foray into a new system for all of us, and hopefully a step back into more character-focused play.

Tonight is Session Zero, which will be group character-building plus a quick little vidya-game-style game mechanics tutorial "RHC Team-Building Retreat." The adventure as a whole starts next week.

:)

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
The GUMSHOE thread seems to have dropped off the map, unless I'm just oblivious, so I'm just gonna post here that Night's Black Agents: Solo Ops is really freaking good. It jettisons the at-best blandly-functional system for GUMSHOE General Abilities (which, IMO, did not stand up to the high-octane thriller action NBA tried to force it into) in favor of a system that looks to combine the best parts of Powered by the Apocalypse and Forged in the Dark games. It also streamlines a lot of the weirder fiddly bits of NBA, like the tactical usage of Investigative Abilities and the Vampyramid. It's so good I stopped working on my own Blades in the Dark hack for Night's Black Agents, and now I kind of want to figure out how to tweak Solo Ops for group play rather than one-on-one.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Do you mind going a bit into detail about how they’ve modified the vampyramid? That was always a personal favorite bit of NBA so I’m interested in how it’s been improved.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Discussion in this thread, a couple of reviews and a $20-off ding-and-dent copy from Noble Knight all led me to grab a copy of Fragged Empire. I'm enjoying reading it. I have to say the most difficult thing about the game so far is the font. Yowch. It's just a bit too slender to read comfortably -- I had to get out a magnifying glass to see if it was X'lon or X'ion -- and there's a weird kerning issue with "yo" in the book that doesn't show in the base font that's really jumping out at me every time I see it.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Do you mind going a bit into detail about how they’ve modified the vampyramid? That was always a personal favorite bit of NBA so I’m interested in how it’s been improved.

So, in brief, it now uses essentially the same mechanical skeleton as Heat. When you take actions that draw vampiric attention (which could be active things you do like killing Renfields or disrupting their operations, or passive things like being fed on or falling asleep in a graveyard and dreaming about vampires), you gain Shadow.

Whenever you Take Time (basically, something like what Blades in the Dark would call a downtime action--laying low till nightfall, spending all day combing through traffic analysis, whatever), you face a Blowback scene. Blowback can come from either Heat or Shadow, depending on what the GM thinks would be most interesting, and the severity of the Blowback depends on how high your score is. Sometimes the Blowback is a surprise, other times based on the outcome of a previous scene you might get a kind of Sword of Damocles hanging over your head, and if you don't get rid of that problem before you Take Time that's what happens.

Now, the really cool part is this: it's really hard to actually reduce your Shadow score. You pretty much have to kill the local head vampire in charge (or otherwise thoroughly roll up the conspiracy's local node, if true vampires are rare in your version) or flee to a new city. This is where vampire Blocks come in. As long as you can protect yourself with known, proven vampire countermeasures when you Take Time, you can treat your Shadow score as (sometimes significantly) lower.

So if, for example, you have Shadow 5 and you really need to spend a few hours researching obscure Romanian folk religion, you're looking at blowback on the order of "the head vamp personally comes out hunting you, specifically." But if garlic and running water are vampire blockers in your setting, and you can hole up in a safehouse on Ile-St-Louis with garlic ropes nailed to every doorjamb and window sash, you'd treat your Shadow as 2, which means you're looking at some spooky dreams or maybe a rat spying on you.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Pelgrane's blog has had some blog entries on mixing parts of stock GUMSHOE (Trail, Night's Black Agents, etc), "QuickShock" GUMSHOE (Yellow King), and One2One GUMSHOE (Cthulhu Confidential, Solo Ops).

https://site.pelgranepress.com/index.php/see-page-xx-trail-confidential/ talks about porting PCs back and forth between Trail of Cthulhu and Cthulhu Confidential, for when an investigator wants to go off by themselves for a while

and https://site.pelgranepress.com/index.php/see-p-xx-adding-pushes-to-your-gumshoe-game/ explains how to add the "Push" mechanic from One2One and QuickShock into regular GUMSHOE play.

Also https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704941 is the GUMSHOE thread but it is locked for archives.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 30, 2019

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Thanks to the goons of Something Awful for giving me a jumping-off point to actually make a thing (that is still incomplete but one day will be finalized).

https://twitter.com/Hostile_V/status/1189692672811970564
https://twitter.com/Hostile_V/status/1189693050102132740

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
The corebook for Mutant Year Zero is currently free for one day on drivethru rpg.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/139453/MUTANT-Year-Zero--Roleplaying-At-The-End-Of-Days

Enjoy!

Dec 26, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

The corebook for Mutant Year Zero is currently free for one day on drivethru rpg.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/139453/MUTANT-Year-Zero--Roleplaying-At-The-End-Of-Days

Enjoy!

Thanks!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Who's been checking out the games being developed on itch.io? A lot of the indie scene has migrated there, and it's blossomed into a whole thing that I don't fully have a grasp on yet. You've got old pros like Meg and Vincent Baker (and also that that page, their son Elliot who is starting to do really interesting work with Haunted) there, but there's a whole new wave of designers who seem to be really coming into their own on the platform via its game jams. Jay Dragon is the one whose work I'm familiar with, because Sleepaway is loving brilliant and Kid Impossible is quietly beautiful, but there's a ton of new names out there whose work I haven't been able to check out yet. Anyone been following this scene?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Kestral posted:

Who's been checking out the games being developed on itch.io? A lot of the indie scene has migrated there, and it's blossomed into a whole thing that I don't fully have a grasp on yet. You've got old pros like Meg and Vincent Baker (and also that that page, their son Elliot who is starting to do really interesting work with Haunted) there, but there's a whole new wave of designers who seem to be really coming into their own on the platform via its game jams. Jay Dragon is the one whose work I'm familiar with, because Sleepaway is loving brilliant and Kid Impossible is quietly beautiful, but there's a ton of new names out there whose work I haven't been able to check out yet. Anyone been following this scene?

I've been paying a lot of attention to it, yeah! Partially because DriveThruRPG is incredibly awful as a publisher (both in terms of revenue share and ease of use), and partially because the culture of itch publishers and customers is a lot more egalitarian and creative for me. The jams are a great way of experimenting with design, you can actually make significant revenue from pay-what-you-want, and there are a lot better tools for things like customising your game page's appearance, publishing updates and devlogs, and interacting with your community.

Creators I'd recommend beyond the two pages you picked out would be:
  • Takuma Okada , whose Alone Among the Stars and related hacks are great single-player RPGs and whose Stewpot is a really nice Firebrands hack about adventurers settling down and starting a tavern.
  • Quinn Bleiler - check out For The Honor for an excellent She-Ra themed Firebrands hack, Songs for the Dusk for a Destiny-inspired optimistic post-apocalyptic Forged in the Dark game, and Lightning-Kissed for a beautiful and queer game about the moments leading up to a couple's first kiss.
  • caro asercion makes lyrical, poetic games about emotion and place and memory. I'd definitely recommend i'm sorry did you say street magic, a GM-less game about city-building in a supernatural future.
  • On the more trad side, there's Tuesday Night Games, whose Mothership has received great acclaim from the OSR contingent.
  • And, of course, my own page, along with the other pages of my friends in the UK Indie RPG League.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Enjoy!

e: poo poo, I can't believe I missed this :(

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Is there a good way to get a deck of cards printed? I would love to play Spindlewheel but other than Gamecrafter it doesn't seem to be in print.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/BenMullin/status/1190444585752903680

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I mean, frankly, those would be better hands.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How many medieval fantasy role-playing games that lack magic in their system and setting? It can't be many. It must be fewer that are good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Covok posted:

How many medieval fantasy role-playing games that lack magic in their system and setting? It can't be many. It must be fewer that are good.

Probably because it's really hard to make such a setting not end up kinda dull, at least in a Tabletop RPG context

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Kestral posted:

I'm really enjoying reading random cheap/free itch games. Can't say I've played any of them yet. Some of the ones that stood out to me:

Passenger by Secret Hearth - a one-page game about parasites trying to ride a human body to escape the planet. Huge potential for gross-out comedy in a very small word count.

Agents of ODD by Jason T - an Into the Odd hack for Hellboy/SCP Foundation style games. Great d100 table of backgrounds. Still in development.

Ah, Dang, Mothman Won't Move Out by Ettin - aside from the amusing premise, this has one of the most simple and elegant "success with a cost" mechanics I've seen.

And this isn't a game as such, but the Troika backgrounds that people created for Troikajam are off the hook. I love how Troika is this slightly odd, charming OSR game that's currently being colonised by avant-garde storygame maniacs.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Where can one find Troikajam?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Covok posted:

Mouse Guard has no explicit magic, but still manages to have fantastic adventures because nearly every other creature is huge and deadly in comparison. If you're being very strict, the treatment of medicine and a few things like that aren't particularly far off from potions.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Covok posted:

I haven't read them, but I recall that a few Game of Thrones/Song of Ice & Fire tabletop RPGs were more or less magic-free. On the PC's sides at the very least.

Adventures in Middle-Earth 5e is a close case or qualifies depending on your standards, with the closest 'magical' options being elf arrows which can put people to sleep but nothing in the vein of blasting lightning bolts from your fingertips or summoning a swarm of animals.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Libertad! posted:

I haven't read them, but I recall that a few Game of Thrones/Song of Ice & Fire tabletop RPGs were more or less magic-free. On the PC's sides at the very least.

Adventures in Middle-Earth 5e is a close case or qualifies depending on your standards, with the closest 'magical' options being elf arrows which can put people to sleep but nothing in the vein of blasting lightning bolts from your fingertips or summoning a swarm of animals.

I thought the same thing, but then I remembered it also has rules for greensight and a few other magical things, like wights and whitewalkers. It's not much, but it's not completely lacking in magic.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Where can one find Troikajam?

Sorry, should have said 'Troika Background Jam': https://itch.io/jam/troika-backgrounds-jam

Some highlights include 'Golem-Piloting Tarsier', 'A Surprisingly Large Crab With An Equally Large Knife' and 'DALE'.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Going to give a shoutout to the Emotional Mecha Game Jam as well, I haven’t played every game from it (holy poo poo there’s 170+) but every one I have has been outstanding.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 3, 2019

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
This is kind of crazy. Basically, I've been on a bit of a Transformers kick because I've been trying to get into Transformers comics but never did. Then I found out they rebooted and now I feel like I can both a) get into the new continuity as its only 13 issues in and b) start to buy the hardcover omnibus in order as they are in intended reading order and everything. That lead me to this youtube channel and this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLFZcUllzXk

This is kind of crazy. The short of it is that they attempted to explain some toy recolors ten years ago and it lead to a series of short stories and a novel liberally described as "Transformers meets the Hunger Games." I personally find it morbidly fascinating in the "this was officially licensed" sense.

Anyhow, it seemed cool and I couldn't think where else to share it. It did make me think of maybe running a game in the setting, but I'm overbooked. Also, I couldn't find a system. It's too dark for Cartoon Action Hour. Well, maybe. Some 80s cartoons were pretty dark like Spiral Zone, but not this dark.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Sailor Viy posted:

Sorry, should have said 'Troika Background Jam': https://itch.io/jam/troika-backgrounds-jam

Some highlights include 'Golem-Piloting Tarsier', 'A Surprisingly Large Crab With An Equally Large Knife' and 'DALE'.

Hey, I created DALE! Thanks for the love. :)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Covok posted:

This is kind of crazy. Basically, I've been on a bit of a Transformers kick because I've been trying to get into Transformers comics but never did. Then I found out they rebooted and now I feel like I can both a) get into the new continuity as its only 13 issues in and b) start to buy the hardcover omnibus in order as they are in intended reading order and everything. That lead me to this youtube channel and this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLFZcUllzXk

This is kind of crazy. The short of it is that they attempted to explain some toy recolors ten years ago and it lead to a series of short stories and a novel liberally described as "Transformers meets the Hunger Games." I personally find it morbidly fascinating in the "this was officially licensed" sense.

Anyhow, it seemed cool and I couldn't think where else to share it. It did make me think of maybe running a game in the setting, but I'm overbooked. Also, I couldn't find a system. It's too dark for Cartoon Action Hour. Well, maybe. Some 80s cartoons were pretty dark like Spiral Zone, but not this dark.

Transformers as a franchise has gone in a lot of very interesting directions over it's 35 year history, personally I'm especially fond of the madness that is Tom Scioli's Transformers vs G.I. Joe;

or his more recent comic for Go-Bots(surprisingly the first comic that franchise has ever had not counting some cameos in Transformers comics);

as for system, well that's a tougher question, especially on how to handle Alt-Modes(which is probably one area where Beast Wars has an advantage over most of the rest of the franchise as it's easier to emulate animal style alt-modes than it is vehicle ones)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ironically, Beast Wars Uprising does not have them use Beast Modes till the end. The whole Beast Mode thing was originally a new idea made to handle the unique conditions of prehistoric Earth. Without that, they didn't need Beast Modes until BW Megatron invented it to end the Energon dependency of the Maximals and Predacons.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Covok posted:

Pendragon is based in the Arthurian Cycle, but the core system has no player-facing magical systems, so it can easily be run as a dynastic medieval RPG. The Uther and Anarchy periods of the official campaign have no magic at all outside of a couple encounters with Merlin.

That said, it's a game built for an extremely narrow experience, so I don't know what you would do with it without directly engaging with Arthurian myth.

Zeerust fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 3, 2019

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
There's a game Paladins based on Pendragon but for the knights of Charlemagne. I backed it on KS but I haven't read it yet. Maybe also no magic?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

as for system, well that's a tougher question, especially on how to handle Alt-Modes(which is probably one area where Beast Wars has an advantage over most of the rest of the franchise as it's easier to emulate animal style alt-modes than it is vehicle ones)
You could do the Gamma World/Danger Patrol route, where you make your character out of two different classes: one for what you do and one for your alt-mode.

FFG did a d20 minigame where you played Transformers, but I don't remember off the top of my head how they handled alt-modes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

You could do the Gamma World/Danger Patrol route, where you make your character out of two different classes: one for what you do and one for your alt-mode.

FFG did a d20 minigame where you played Transformers, but I don't remember off the top of my head how they handled alt-modes.

That was actually exactly what I was thinking might be a good idea, hacking Gamma World 7e for such a purpose

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

potatocubed posted:

There's a game Paladins based on Pendragon but for the knights of Charlemagne. I backed it on KS but I haven't read it yet. Maybe also no magic?

Paladin has the same level of magic as Pendragon, in that it exists and the knights may encounter a sorcerer, be healed by a divine cleric, stumble on a magic artifact, or enter a magical realm (fae-type, not fetish-type), but it is not part of their day-to-day lives.

quote:

Magic in the Carolingian world is not a thing for
knights. They often fall prey to it, but almost never use it. The
Gamemaster should generally describe the effects seen, saying:
“Fire breaks out in a circle around the knight” or make simple
statements, such as: “You have been blessed.” There is no need to
describe how magic works, or even to state it is being used.

Magic should never dominate the game. Gamemasters
should feel free to make magic take whatever form they wish, as
long as it is subtle. Establish a mood with magic: let palaces glow
from a warm internal light, serve exotic and intoxicating wines
from Cathay, have a dove deliver a letter from heaven. Magic is
an essential plot device for Gamemasters. A magical event or
curse can form the basis for an adventure.

Magic in this game is for purposes of roleplaying, not for
cartoon violence. Paladin magic imitates the traditional magical effects found in the epics, rather than comic-book flash-bang
spells. Fate and luck are important components of magic, not
just spells and spell casters. The fundamental laws of society,
such as loyalty or hospitality, are enforced by the decrees of fate,
and enter the realm of magic.

To make magic work, the Gamemaster simply says that it
works; there is no way for knights to defend against it. This is
extremely powerful, and Gamemasters are urged to use it sparingly and not corrupt the game by using magic at every turn. It
ought to be used as special effects instead of major plot devices.

Permanent magical effects are more common than magical
users. We find swords that are better than usual, horns that can
only be sounded by a specific person, the water of a fountain
that inspires feelings of hatred or love, or a castle that revolves
around its axis. They are sources of awe, wonder and fear for normal people.

You could easily keep supernatural stuff vague or remove it, like Zeerust suggested for Pendragon, and not really change much in the tone of knightly questing or adventures, but it is there by default.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
The Halloween sale on my found-footage weird horror game/tool The Cromlech Archives ends in a little under 24 hours! It's 50% off, for $1.

I've also recently submitted 2 games to jams on itch.io :

SONAR GHOSTS - a rough draft playtest version, at least
Submitted to Gentle Ghost Jam, which has ended
This is a map-game about ghostly mystery and tragedy in which you play a team of mediums, parapsychologists, and others on a cramped submarine, exploring the site of a hitherto-unexplained 19th-century wreck, chasing down ghosts using your ectosonar, listening to their fragmented voices, and spotting natural and strange features of the seabed. When you put together the pieces of the mystery you can journey to the centre of the wreck and act it out in seance to give the spirits closure and lay them to rest. This is an ongoing project!

TR0PHY TAKER
Submitted to Business Card Jam, which has just opened
This is a very short game (inevitably, since it fits on the front and back of a business card) where you take on the role of an alien hunter-killer like the Predator, and where the act of taking or swapping business cards becomes the act of murder for sport. The other part of the game is altering and arranging your collection of trophies (i.e. business cards) to reflect how your hunter-killer slays humans and their pride and taste in trophies of their victims.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

One of the things that is really compelling for players in Pendragon, in my experience, is that the characters are usually working together, but at the end of every session, you have glory, which acts as an objective score for who is the best at being a knight. It's a very good, simple mechanic that gets people taking risks and getting into the spirit of things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Pendragron - it's good.