Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
I bought some Rubric Marines and Tzaangors to play KT with some coworkers, and I've discovered that my hands shake too much to ever be any good at painting. I can handle putting contrast paints over relatively large areas, so the Tzaangors came out pretty good, but there's no way in gently caress I'll ever be able to do the alternating stripes on the Rubric for example. Is it worth getting more models to make a bigger army or are randos and con-goers pretty much shitwads if your army isn't a gorgeous uniform paint job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Giant Isopod posted:

I would assume you're one of those people that can't help but try and put their weird fetish in the game

Luckily my fetish is for depressingly pedantic arguments about melee combat in games involving models, so I've been getting off in every edition.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

goose willis posted:

What if, for rough riders, you modeled one guardsman on all fours crawling around, and another guardsman rode on top of him?

Yeah that's just creepy rather than funny to be honest.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

TheChirurgeon posted:

Nothing about it is pedantic. You're getting up in arms over wording you don't even know. Vulkan's aura (called Forgefather) gives re-rolls for hit and wound rolls for attacks made Flame or melta weapons to models in units within 6". It doesn't specify a phase for this to apply in. This is good, because you want it to apply to attacks outside the shooting phase. And note the words "firing" and "fired" are never used.

Flame weapons are defined in Codex: Space Marines as weapons with "flame" or "fire" in their name, including Flamestorm Gauntlets.

Flamestorm gauntlets have a melee profile, defined as "Flamestorm Gauntlets (melee)." Therefore, when you make attacks with them, they are flame weapons, and benefit from Vulkan's aura.

Instead of getting upset over it, just imagine that the Aggressors are spewing flame while they are punching things. Or that the enhancements they get to their weapons from being around Vulkan also applies to the weapons' ability to hit things.

This is a good post. I wasn't up in arms about this, though, I was up in arms at the assertion that since "firing" isn't defined in the rules that it could mean anything, because that kind of angle to interpreting rules is horrific.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Just have them riding on canines and call them ruffriders.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?

A FESTIVE SKELETON posted:

From my experience as a space wolves player, you would still be accused of putting your fetish in the game.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

gbuchold posted:

I bought some Rubric Marines and Tzaangors to play KT with some coworkers, and I've discovered that my hands shake too much to ever be any good at painting. I can handle putting contrast paints over relatively large areas, so the Tzaangors came out pretty good, but there's no way in gently caress I'll ever be able to do the alternating stripes on the Rubric for example. Is it worth getting more models to make a bigger army or are randos and con-goers pretty much shitwads if your army isn't a gorgeous uniform paint job?

IMO an army with an entire mediocre paintjob looks better than an army that's 95% master class painted with 3 gray models.

Seriously, a full army, with a paintjob always looks cool and I don't think anyone who is worth playing with would give you poo poo

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

gbuchold posted:

There are some things you can do to steady your hands. Rest your elbows on the desk and make a triangle with your hands as the apex. And practice helps.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

gbuchold posted:

Just painting it to your ability is great, most games against most people you're lucky if you arent facing a grey tide it feels like nowadays, at least pickup games. I think Rubrics are if not only hard, at least a rough start for a new painter too but theres lots of tricks and such you can learn as you get more experience.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 1, 2019

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

There are some things you can do to steady your hands. Rest your elbows on the desk and make a triangle with your hands as the apex. And practice helps.

I've found that the less i'm worried about making mistakes, the less my hands shake. Also, remembering to relax and breath helps a ton. Stripping the paint off a model once, really eased my anxiety when i realized that i had easy access to a nuclear option if i really effed something up or hated the way it looked. Also, i keep my elbows to my chest and brace my hands on each other, so at least they sway and rock and shake in unison.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Getting a little holder for your mini and then bracing your wrist on the table for detail will help a lot with shaky hands. Painted minis always look awesome in game so don't stress too much!

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape

I found a delightfully awful 90s Daemonette on a steed in the back of a shop. I identify with their crab claws and 90s aesthetic. I can't wait to paint this dumbass

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I use an old pharmacy bottle with a bit of bluetak on it as a handle and it works a treat. I also keep my elbows locked into my torso and rest my fingers on the hand that is holding my paint brush on the fingers that are holding the mini. If you find that you're bringing the mini close to your face to see, you may want to invest in a pair of magnifying headgear.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

A FESTIVE SKELETON posted:

Ruff Ryders need to be on quads and sport bikes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

WIP. Two coats of 1:1 Talassar Blue and medium.

EDIT:

Hive Fleet Murica.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 1, 2019

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

WIP. Two coats of 1:1 Talassar Blue and medium.

EDIT:

Hive Fleet Murica.

You know how people do kind of striped edging on tyranid carapaces where it's multiple small strokes away from the edge? I wonder if there's a way you could do that with the red. I think the blue one looks a lot more original and interesting but if you could somehow get a bit of that red up on the bone it would look a bit more natural and a little bit less murica? In any case, I think you're heading in a better Direction and to be honest I can't really remember seeing blue tyranids before so that's pretty cool.

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009

That blue is nice, I think a pink would work with it quite nicely.

x-post of a Hellblaster I've just finished:

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Do this one with grey hooves and yellow eyes and fleshy carapace details (like the ones on the arms and gun). The red looks...not good right now.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

TheChirurgeon posted:

Nothing about it is pedantic. You're getting up in arms over wording you don't even know. Vulkan's aura (called Forgefather) gives re-rolls for hit and wound rolls for attacks made Flame or melta weapons to models in units within 6". It doesn't specify a phase for this to apply in. This is good, because you want it to apply to attacks outside the shooting phase. And note the words "firing" and "fired" are never used.

Flame weapons are defined in Codex: Space Marines as weapons with "flame" or "fire" in their name, including Flamestorm Gauntlets.

Flamestorm gauntlets have a melee profile, defined as "Flamestorm Gauntlets (melee)." Therefore, when you make attacks with them, they are flame weapons, and benefit from Vulkan's aura.

Instead of getting upset over it, just imagine that the Aggressors are spewing flame while they are punching things. Or that the enhancements they get to their weapons from being around Vulkan also applies to the weapons' ability to hit things.

I don't have a copy of the Salamanders supplement, but "firing" is used in the 2017 SM codex. You can look at the BRB and see "fire" and "firing" scattered liberally through the BRB's description of the shooting phase, and listed nowhere in the fight phase. It's one thing to argue whether a weapon is a flame weapon if it's dual profile. The problem is that even before you can get to that point, it has to rely on an creative interpretation of the word "firing" that isn't demonstrated elsewhere.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Contingency posted:

I don't have a copy of the Salamanders supplement, but "firing" is used in the 2017 SM codex. You can look at the BRB and see "fire" and "firing" scattered liberally through the BRB's description of the shooting phase, and listed nowhere in the fight phase. It's one thing to argue whether a weapon is a flame weapon if it's dual profile. The problem is that even before you can get to that point, it has to rely on an creative interpretation of the word "firing" that isn't demonstrated elsewhere.

Good news. You can stop guessing about rules you don't have based on wording that's out-of-date.

They've been updating templating with regard to the language they use over the past two years. Vulkan is an excellent example.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Count_Brass posted:

That blue is nice, I think a pink would work with it quite nicely.

That Hellblaster looks absolutely fantastic, great job

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Contingency posted:

Stop arguing rules without actually looking at the rules.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008

gbuchold posted:

As well as the good advice above, pressing your wrists together while holding the mini and the brush can minimize shakes. If you can get contrast paint job on a model you are doing the hobby well and making better progress on painting than 90% of the players I know. No-one should give you poo poo for unpainted models in random friendly games. Offer to explain your killteam/models if your opponent doesn't know them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I love how things are progressing. I need to highlight the black.

Count_Brass posted:

That owns.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
That's a great looking nid, colours are coming together nicely

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

TheChirurgeon posted:

Good news. You can stop guessing about rules you don't have based on wording that's out-of-date.

They've been updating templating with regard to the language they use over the past two years. Vulkan is an excellent example.

Thanks for the screenshot--that looks unambiguous.

Booley posted:

Stop arguing rules without actually looking at the rules.

I believe it's good policy to question anything that doesn't quite sound right. If it takes someone cracking open their rulebook, that's what it takes. Mine clearly did not say what they said it did.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh, dang, that's a definite improvement! Really looking good!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Diabeesting posted:

I found a delightfully awful 90s Daemonette on a steed in the back of a shop. I identify with their crab claws and 90s aesthetic. I can't wait to paint this dumbass

:getin:

90's aesthetic is the best aesthetic! Those large flat areas are going to feel like billboards after dealing with the current-generation detail festivals.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

TheChirurgeon posted:

There's a ton of under the radar stylistic and interpretive corrections between the 2017 and 2019 SM: codices.

The 2017 codex locked Space Wolves, Blood Angels etc. out of "the rules or abilities" listed in "Legacy of the Primarchs" (chapter special rules) section, but they just flat out forgot to do that for the "Defenders of Mankind" (datacards) section. Parallelism being a common interpretive tool, that was an unfortunate oversight.

It's fixed in the 2019 version.

That's real nice.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 2, 2019

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That owns.

Best one by far

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

goose willis posted:

What if, for rough riders, you modeled one guardsman on all fours crawling around, and another guardsman rode on top of him?

E: I'm 99% sure someone has already done this with their Bretonian Grail Knights

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
...aren't tau hooved? Couldn't you get them to give you a piggy-back ride?

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

Nothing about it is pedantic.

So the Imperial Fists chapter tactic of exploding 6s for bolt weapons applies in melee with Aggressors as well, despite the melee and ranged weapons for Aggressors having been explicitly broken up in to two pieces for purposes of master crafting? Yes, extremely logical. Definitely not something a staffer will roll their eyes at and put in the FAQ to save everyone the trouble of arguing with you.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

nite_moogle posted:

So the Imperial Fists chapter tactic of exploding 6s for bolt weapons applies in melee with Aggressors as well, despite the melee and ranged weapons for Aggressors having been explicitly broken up in to two pieces for purposes of master crafting? Yes, extremely logical. Definitely not something a staffer will roll their eyes at and put in the FAQ to save everyone the trouble of arguing with you.

No, but not for the reason you think. The Fists exploding sixes only apply to ranged attacks with bolt weapons.

E: to be pedantic

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 2, 2019

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Now that I'm home, I've taken some better pictures of Uzgrak. He's also had some varnish applied, so he's much more matte and less shiny.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

I saw the post of that on imgur, and it still looks loving amazing.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

gbuchold posted:

Along with what everyone else said; remember that when you’re playing your minis are 3+ feet away on a table, surrounded by other minis and terrain. They’re going to look fine.

We get this warped perception and skewed expectations from always looking at pictures of minis close up on clean backgrounds. On the table all but the most grievous mistakes are forgiven.

If you’re enjoying the game and enjoying painting, then don’t let anything stop you.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

gbuchold posted:

A lot of players play with gray plastic if the venue lets them. The basic requirement for most GW stores that I have visited is assembled models and demonstrating progress. Nobody is going to give you poo poo for having painted models. It's absolutely worth getting more models if you like them and playing makes you happy.

There are a lot of techniques which can be used to get a high quality product even if your hands shake. Dipping, drybrushing, contrast paint, glazes, and airbrushing are examples.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Finished my Salamanders Aggressor yesterday. For some reason it took me six or seven attempts to apply that Chapter transfer because either it wouldn't come off the paper or it instantly decided to crease due to some microscopic bump or something.

Now I honestly want to paint more Salamanders. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

nite_moogle posted:

You should perhaps read the rules you're attempting to reference before you make these kinds of posts