Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Maugrim posted:

Dammit! We were so close! So close!

Mate, remember what i said at the start of this run?
2, E, Rot is the reward of saints

And no, i do not see a reason to cure ourselves. That seems counterproductive actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
We maintain hope.

quote:

"Let me go. If anyone can develop a cure for this, it's me."

You insist that you should be allowed to leave. "I can fix this, I know it," you say. "I've succeeded so far, why not now?" (Increased Optimism.) (%+10 Optimism = +3% Optimism)

Sam regards you with pity. "That may be true," he says softly. "Who knows? Maybe you can succeed where we have always failed. But I'm telling you, you will probably not make it out of that door if you try to get up."

Barring that, we'll at least make our rounds with everyone with the time we have left.

quote:

"Could you make sure my parents in Akriton know I'm here?"

Sam nods. "Of course. I could see how close you were to them when I visited Akriton."

"I'd also like to see Tal."
You request to see Tal.

"Of course," Sam says. "I think she's on a mission for the queen, but I'll let her know right away when she gets back."

"I'd also like to see Cos."
You request to see Cos.

"Naturally," Sam says. "You two have been through a lot together."

"I'd also like to see Queen Thecla."
Sam nods. "I'll go to the palace at once after I'm done here. I know you two are close."

"I have no more requests."
"All right," Sam says. He squeezes your hand. "Now, get some rest, would you? I'll be in now and again to check on you."

Sam begins to leave, then stops himself. "Oh, and at this stage of rot, you may begin to have hallucinations. Get a second opinion before you do anything rash, all right?"

1. "When have I ever done anything rash?"
2. "Does that mean saints' visions are sometimes just hallucinations?"
3. "All right."

Sam leaves, and you close your eyes and rest.

quote:

After that, you are left alone for a bit. You search your bedroom and find that someone has stowed your things in a trunk under the bed.

You decide to experiment with ways to avoid your fate. Though you don't feel very good, you may as well try now; you'll only be weaker later.

Turn myself into an immortal specter with negation magic.
Develop a cure with my alchemy set. (Requires alchemy set and potion ingredients.)

1. Turn myself into a great beast that's stronger than the rot.
2. I can't think of anything else to try.

Anything we want to say to Sam and anything we want to try to escape our fate?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Great beast.

Also I hope you show us the Cannon ending.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
2, 1 and yeah so we failed at all three of our main goals - romancing Sam, fixing the sky, and becoming hierophant. This was a terrible run! I guess we were a sort of decent santa though.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Glamor is seriously the worst school of magic. It's the only one that outright kills you even if you're the single person in the world that uses it, it mostly just makes you pass Charisma tests and during the biggest social interaction in the game – the peace negotiations – you can't even use it.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

2, 1 Dunno if we have enough vivomancy for this, but succeed or not the result is bound to be particularly interesting.
Long live, uh. Saint Nikolas, Patron St. of Rot and Negation? :shrug:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
1,1 sounds fun. And yeah, I want to see the Cannon ending too.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Arcanuse posted:

2, 1 Dunno if we have enough vivomancy for this, but succeed or not the result is bound to be particularly interesting.
Long live, uh. Saint Nikolas, Patron St. of Rot and Negation? :shrug:

I'm disappointed that we missed out on the cannon, but I'm even more disappointed that we still don't seem to have been able to become Heirophant or possibly the Second Coming of Abraxas, which I still suspect is an option based on what she says when you meet her for the first time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

2, 1

I assume that being hierophant requires the strongest church relationship possible, which we were not great at.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

2, 1

I assume that being hierophant requires the strongest church relationship possible, which we were not great at.

You might want to remember how the Hierophant became Hierophant that's been mentioned a few times. Wonder if that has anything to do with what Sam just said.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly Glamour looks perfectly fine in that it does seem capable of completely reversing the actions of someone hostile to you. It's just that in universe the people using Glamours are morons who just run them 24/7. All the other Saints we've seen just run them non-stop even when they're doing poo poo like healing people, an action that'd make people well-disposed to you anyways.

It does make Glamour seem like something that's interesting from a Faustian bargain side of things though. It's a really strong tool with dealing with people, but you have to resist the temptation to use it on trivial matters.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
At least we get to see the dying of rot ending, I guess. Wonder if it's as pleasant if you're not a Saint (probably not).

The giant storm we saw in our vision before the peace talks is probably the automation apocalypse- maybe our giant cannon plays a role in that? I'd be interested in finding out. If our OP wants to do this game a 4th time, I'm intrigued. Or maybe I'll purchase this. Still thinking about it.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Starting to get concerned here...

quote:

"Does that mean saints' visions are sometimes just hallucinations?"

Sam frowns.

"Sadly, we don't really pay much attention to saints once they've reached your stage. We just try to ensure they're comfortable."

It's time to change course!

quote:

Turn myself into a great beast that's stronger than the rot.

You realize that if you transform yourself into a very large creature, the rot will be spread thinly enough that it will no longer threaten your life.

But your vivomancy has only dealt with small creatures in the past, not much larger than humans, and you realize you have no experience with this kind of vivomancy on a large scale. Perhaps if you'd asked the queen to develop a research program for large creatures…but that's neither here nor there now.

You don't think you'll be able to transform yourself in this way.

Well, poo poo.

quote:

I can't think of anything else to try.

You sink back into bed and close your eyes. Perhaps it is time to accept your fate. Everybody's mortal.

You just didn't think you would have to face your own mortality so soon.

There are several different ways to get away from the glamor ending. Turning yourself into a great beast requires the use of beasts as a kingdom project, and if you learned about the specter project and had negation as a power source you could try that. The alchemy solution requires three components- we have two. Since we watched the medical drama with Tal we learned that tortoises are resistant to rot- we could have turned ourself into one had we had less solemnity.

Time to face death with dignity then.

quote:

Your first visit is from someone you didn't particularly want to see: Blessed Jacob. The orange-bearded inquisitor drops in on you just as you're beginning to feel a bit nauseous. But you'll be damned if you're going to vomit in this man's presence—unless you can somehow get him in range.

"I actually…came to apologize," Jacob says, looking uncertain. "I know you eventually did good things for the Church, and I was completely wrong to try to convince you that you had no hope."

1. "Apology accepted."
2. "Have you considered joining the House of Sun instead? They seem nicer than the House of Flame."
3. "You can take your apology to the dark sun and burn."

quote:

For the rest of that first night, you receive no other visitors. A gnawing sensation seems to eat away at your belly.

You take a look around your room and find that your things, including your alchemy set, are stashed within the drawers of the nearby nightstand. You recall a recipe for pain medication, and ring the handbell on the nightstand to summon Sam and ask him to fetch the necessary ingredients.

As you wait for him, to take your mind off the pain, you turn to the only book you have with you: the Book of Abraxas on your nightstand.

Which section would you like to read?

1. Read closely what Abraxas said about magic.
2. Abraxas's healing miracles, particularly anything to do with rot.
3. Stories of the prophesied end times.
4. Never mind—these all sound terrible.

quote:

The next day, the queen pays you a visit. It feels like her gargantuan white dress can barely fit in the room.

"I was sorry to hear you weren't feeling well," Queen Thecla says.

"This…rot of yours seems quite dreadful."

You assure her that it is dreadful, but spare her the details.

"I have been thinking that perhaps we should outlaw this glamor magic, so as to prevent any future tragedies," Queen Thecla says. "Do you have an opinion?"

1. "I agree. It should be outlawed."
2. "I disagree. People should make their own choices."
3. "Is now really the time to ask me more policy questions?"

What do we say to Jacob and Thecla and is there anything we want to read in the book of Abraxas?

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

2/2/2. We aren't giving up yet, on Jacob, ourselves, or glamour.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

1/2/2

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
1/2/2

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Arcanuse posted:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
1, 2, 2

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Slaan posted:

1, 2, 2

He knows humility! Good!

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Arcanuse posted:

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
In the end, forgiveness wins.

quote:

"Apology accepted."

You graciously accept Blessed Jacob's apology. (Increased Empathy.) (%+10 Empathy = +4% Empathy)

He smiles ruefully. "Heh, with all the lovely people in the world, I had to pick on a classy guy like you. Well, I guess I've learned my lesson. Take care."

He bids you adieu, and you drift off to sleep. When you awaken, your room is decorated with many beautiful landscape paintings that speak of an intense desire to be alone and one with nature.

In the bottom right corner, Jacob has signed each of them.

Achievement: Lovely Landscapes Blessed Jacob gave you some paintings he made.

And hope remains...

quote:

Abraxas's healing miracles, particularly anything to do with rot.

You flip to a section that you think might contain clues about healing rot.

To you who are afflicted by rot, I say: did not the first rot come from your soul, the moment you sought to impose your will on others? For goodness is a light that needs no magic to make itself felt. But if you should be on death's door wishing for another chance at life, I say: so long as you are not dead, you can do good. And that will make you more alive than you have ever been. Many do not ever truly live. But if you can heed my words, you have time.

You frown. Not helpful, Abraxas!

We abandon neither ourselves nor our magic.

quote:

"I disagree. People should make their own choices."

You tell the queen that you knew what you were getting into, and others should be free to do the same.

"You raise a good point, I suppose," Queen Thecla says. "Perhaps some of what you accomplished was only possible with glamor magic. And certainly, it has fewer negative external effects than other magics. Very well. It shall remain legal."

Queen Thecla curtsies and bids you adieu. Her visit was all a bit more formal than you would have liked, but perhaps she doesn't know what else to do in the face of tragedy.

You try to go to sleep, but your belly feels as if it's rebelling with cudgels and daggers, and it's a while before you manage it.

quote:

Some days pass in which you wait for your visitors from Akriton to arrive.

Sam often keeps you company, bringing you porridge from the Cathedral's kitchens. You appreciate his company, though whenever he leaves, a feeling of gloom settles upon you.

quote:

You are awakened by an impossibly loud voice inside your head.

AWAKEN, KRIS. I CALL ON YOU.

You bolt upright. Strangely, your pain is entirely gone. In fact, you feel infused with new power. Out the window, you see the dark of night.

Who are you? you think. Abraxas?

NAME ME NOT. I AM THIS.

In a vision, you see the eternal plan of the world laid out before you, all its carefully laid threads and destinies intertwined. Your thread glows stronger than the rest—and from this point forward in time, it is brightly phosphorescent.

I CALL ON YOU TO BE MY NEXT PROPHET. IF YOU HAVE FAITH, YOU WILL REMAKE THE WORLD. BUT YOU MUST HAVE FAITH.

1. I always knew there was a higher power.
2. I thought saints just did good in the world. Abraxas is real?
3. I honestly don't know what to think.

?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
1. What a lovely hallucination!

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

There we go!

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Ah, doubleposts, oops

Regallion fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 2, 2019

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

3 whazza?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Oh!
Well about time Abraxas. 1!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
1. Let's assume that this chapter is not named ironically.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 2, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

1 Praise vivid hallucinations Abraxas!

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

1: Praise be!

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Great news!

quote:

I always knew there was a higher power.

You're actually rather excited. You've been chosen! (Increased Optimism.) (%+20 Optimism = +5% Optimism)

What exactly would you have me do? you ask the voice.

YOUR FIRST TEST IS TO GET OUT OF YOUR BED AND WALK. HAVE THIS FAITH, AND YOU SHALL SEE THAT YOU ARE HEALED.

Experimentally, you sit up. You indeed feel no pain, just a sheer rush of exultation.

WALK. WALK OUT OF YOUR ROOM.

Barefoot and wearing the simple white tunic the Church provided you, you walk out of your room and into the adjacent corridor.

There, you run into Sam, who is carrying a tray with a bowl of oatmeal. He looks very concerned to see you out here.

"Kris, what are you doing out here?" he frets. "You need to be back in bed! You can't be walking around like this!"

SAM PRAYS TO ME DAILY BUT LACKS TRUE CONVICTION. HE IS YOUR NEXT TEST OF FAITH.

"Sam! There is a higher power, and it spoke to me!"

quote:

Sam still looks concerned. "I know there is a higher power," he says. "But that higher power loves you, and doesn't want you walking around right now. I really think you should go back to bed before you hurt yourself."

SAM IS A HYPOCRITE. THIS IS WHY I CHOSE YOU, NOT HIM.

1. Dash past Sam.
2. Chide Sam for his lack of faith.
3. Go back to bed, as he suggests, and try to ignore the voice.

4. "I'm doing fine today. I'd like to just walk around." (Requires charisma.)
Dash past Sam. He won't understand. Not yet, anyway.

?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

4 if we have the charisma and 1 otherwise.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
4 if we have the charisma, otherwise 2.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

4 if we have the charisma and 1 otherwise.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Yeah definitely 4

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Our charisma is amazing, 4.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
We've got charisma to spare!

quote:

"I'm doing fine today. I'd like to just walk around." (Requires charisma.)

You tell Sam you'd just like to walk around. "I'm feeling better today, and I haven't walked in ages," you say. "Just a little while."

"Okay," Sam says uncertainly. "But you should get back to bed very soon. Rot can sometimes seem like it's in remission, only to hit you hard later."

"I'm fine," you assure him. "I just need some fresh air." You walk past Sam, and he doesn't stop you.

GOOD. SAM LACKS TRUE FAITH, BUT HE SHALL BE YOUR FIRST DISCIPLE WHEN HE SEES YOUR MIRACLE.

quote:

UP THESE STAIRS. GO.

You bound up an old stone staircase that winds up the central tower of the cathedral.

You emerge at the top of the Cathedral's central bell tower, with the capital lampposts shining in the night below you. You can hear the people on the street below surprisingly well, you suppose because there are no objects in the way. You imagine they can hear you as well.

NOW CAST THE STRONGEST GLAMOR YOU CAN. YOU MUST SPREAD MY MESSAGE FAR AND WIDE.

Protest. This might kill me before I can do anything else.

quote:

YOU WILL NOT DIE.
1. I'm going insane. I should go back to bed.
2. I cast the strongest glamor I can.

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

quote:

YOU WILL NOT DIE

...Yeah, getting some evil genie/technical truth vibes from that. "You will not die; you will live on in their hearts/memory" or something like that.

2 No point heading back to bed now. Let's see this through to the end.