Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

BernieTheBolshevik posted:

From what I know, the most environmentally friendly thing is almost always to use what already exists and has been produced instead of pouring resources into new construction/production.

So just use the apartments and houses that already exist, pretty much.

Well, there's also the potential for hundreds of millions of internally and externally displaced persons. How do you build that much new housing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BernieTheBolshevik
Oct 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Accretionist posted:

Well, there's also the potential for hundreds of millions of internally and externally displaced persons. How do you build that much new housing?

I thought that's what The Wall (tm) was for.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Housing is the thing where this isn't the case because increased efficiency from better land usage is so big and the current land usage so poo poo

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

T-man posted:

we must destroy every social institution that coexists with capitalism. Even whatever gotcha you want to own me with

So. All of them. Capitalism can adapt to pretty much any created social institution. This is why economic reforms can never tame capitalism.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Marenghi posted:

Capitalism neatly reproduced this.

It’s financially unviable for one parent to stay at home. So both parents have to work and this requires the children to be placed in childcare, though this takes up the bulk of the second parents income and the little remaining covers the rent one worker cannot provide.

I’ve spoken to so many working parents in my career who’ve uncritically talked about mothers taking up employment just to get out of the house, because the income just covers childcare.

i've seen the opposite happening more and more now too. childcare is insanely expensive, like even here in a rural area it costs something like $45/day at the low end. so more and more i'm seeing one parent (usually the woman in a hetero relationship of course) quit their job or go part time working at night so that they don't have to pay for childcare, which is a full time job

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Serf posted:

i've seen the opposite happening more and more now too. childcare is insanely expensive, like even here in a rural area it costs something like $45/day at the low end. so more and more i'm seeing one parent (usually the woman in a hetero relationship of course) quit their job or go part time working at night so that they don't have to pay for childcare, which is a full time job

Not surprising places like Canada or Denmark address this by having the country help out with things like daycare costs.

Why aren't millennials cranking out more kids? Where are the grandkids we wanted demand the boomers.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Millenials are doing their duty getting ready for <1 billion carrying capacity Earth, we should commend them

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

etalian posted:

Not surprising places like Canada or Denmark address this by having the country help out with things like daycare costs.

Why aren't millennials cranking out more kids? Where are the grandkids we wanted demand the boomers.

Ireland helps out too, but with a distinctly free market slant. The childcare providers are all privately operated and were fairly hands off, but abuse scandals might change that. The assistance comes in the form of a grant which covers part of the cost, but the operators just absorb that grant as free money and increase the costs.

Similar to how social housing is handled, instead of the government building homes and charging a nominal rent from social tenants, they’ve just been assisting at risk people with the cost of rent which landlords then ask the tenants for direct top ups because they know they can afford an extra one or two hundred a month.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

etalian posted:

"Where are the grandparents?" reply the millennials. Still in their own houses. Out of state. Because their children had to move for work.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Marenghi posted:

Ireland helps out too, but with a distinctly free market slant. The childcare providers are all privately operated and were fairly hands off, but abuse scandals might change that. The assistance comes in the form of a grant which covers part of the cost, but the operators just absorb that grant as free money and increase the costs.

Similar to how social housing is handled, instead of the government building homes and charging a nominal rent from social tenants, they’ve just been assisting at risk people with the cost of rent which landlords then ask the tenants for direct top ups because they know they can afford an extra one or two hundred a month.

Ohio has ODJS provide a super low copay for childcare and some of it is free if your income is low enough.

The best paying center my fiancee worked at was one with a shitload of state programs. Ohio rates our centers 0-5 stars and the hood rear end one that was part women's shelter/part daycare paid her almost $15/hr and was 5 star

The fancy bougie one she works at now, that's still 5 star? Sub $10/hr

The daycare we met at was run by a church and they routinely used daycare funds to improve the church itself. There was a playground fund but that carpeted the sanctuary. They got a new fancy sign and then let three people go. That sort of thing

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/giantpoppywatch/status/1190213246642462720

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
shoe-based remembrance

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

my shoes have flash memory sewn into the lining full of pictures of brits getting owned, yes

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

"fresh in our memories" was so loving good it can't really be topped tbh

(for non Aus/NZers, Woolworth's slogan is "the fresh food people")

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Idk why but Respektor is a loving hilarious name.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

T-man posted:

my shoes have flash memory sewn into the lining full of pictures of brits getting owned, yes

Let's attack the germans with brilliant Zapp brannigan tactics.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

etalian posted:

Canada doesn't help out with childcare unless you're in one of the very, very lucky electoral districts that actually matter. Quebec and I think parts of Toronto have the state subsidize meaningful amounts of childcare costs. The majority of Canadians get very little in terms of childcare support. If you're working class you're hooped, as you earn too much to qualify for the childcare subsidies that the working poor get but don't make enough to pay for childcare comfortably. There are some tax benefits but they're not fantastic. In Manitoba it makes more sense for poor single mothers to just go on welfare because the quality of life for their kids exceeds what they'd be able to provide through minimum wage work.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'm a teacher and I'd earn more money staying at home on the dole and looking after my kids than I would working and paying for their preschool. My daily, take-home pay after you subtract the cost of childcare is $90 (NZD, so more like $60 USD).

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

steve scalise this man

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
fuckin mississippi has statewide pre-k and the strictest vaccination laws in the nation

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

bike tory posted:

I'm a teacher and I'd earn more money staying at home on the dole and looking after my kids than I would working and paying for their preschool. My daily, take-home pay after you subtract the cost of childcare is $90 (NZD, so more like $60 USD).

Just hope your government doesn't do what the UK did and decide the solution to this is to cut benefits so that nobody is ever better off on benefits than in marginal jobs.
Cause, uh, it sucks

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Canada doesn't help out with childcare unless you're in one of the very, very lucky electoral districts that actually matter. Quebec and I think parts of Toronto have the state subsidize meaningful amounts of childcare costs. The majority of Canadians get very little in terms of childcare support. If you're working class you're hooped, as you earn too much to qualify for the childcare subsidies that the working poor get but don't make enough to pay for childcare comfortably. There are some tax benefits but they're not fantastic. In Manitoba it makes more sense for poor single mothers to just go on welfare because the quality of life for their kids exceeds what they'd be able to provide through minimum wage work.

I almost hate to ask, but if you bring this up in a conversation with whatever the Canadian version of an American conservative is, do you get the galaxy brain take of, "That's why we need to reduce welfare benefits :downs:"?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

fuckin mississippi has statewide pre-k and the strictest vaccination laws in the nation

surprised to learn preschool and vaccination is racist

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Warmachine posted:

I almost hate to ask, but if you bring this up in a conversation with whatever the Canadian version of an American conservative is, do you get the galaxy brain take of, "That's why we need to reduce welfare benefits :downs:"?

what does your heart tell you?

There's so much American media saturation in Canada, not to mention the American 24 hour news cycle is so much more present and polished that most Canadian conservatives parrot American talking points whether they're relevant or not. The only saving grace is that the politics here are fractured along historical lines so populist conservative movements fail to coalesce.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

bike tory posted:

yeah but if you did that you'd have to go to winz each week, where you'd be shown nude pictures of you and your partner, and questioned why you weren't looking for work instead of loving or some poo poo

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

El Pollo Blanco posted:

yeah but if you did that you'd have to go to winz each week, where you'd be shown nude pictures of you and your partner, and questioned why you weren't looking for work instead of loving or some poo poo

Actually her income would disqualify me if they could prove we were in a relationship, so those pictures would be all they need to do that. Even if we weren't actually in a relationship and had just hooked up a couple of times.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/1190867212069982208

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

That guy needs a hammer to the head.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Dude says in the comments that the Indian scale stops at 500.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
its over 9000!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Man with the epstein thing this really aged poorly.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Squalid posted:

this hostility to the family unit ended up manifesting itself in some extremely destructive and harmful ways under governments influenced by left philosophy. I think steinrokkan was alluding to this when he said the Soviet model led to a lot of hosed up kids. One example of seeking a gradual abolition of the family unit was a sometime hostility to the adoption of orphans and a preference to keep them in institutions where their upbringing could be left up to the state. There was also more pressure to institutionalize special needs children than in the west. Of course These orphanages were typically severely underfunded and many children inside ended up getting much less social interaction and care than they needed, and the result was they ended up developing much more severe developmental problems than if they had been raised in families. Bulgaria in particular stood out for hurting a lot of kids like this.

The state that would implement the most extreme anti-family policies however would be Democratic Kampuchea under the Khmer Rouge. Pol Pot sought to completely remake Cambodian society and did not spare the family. Men and women were made to live separately. Marriage was compulsory and existed only for the purpose of reproduction. Young adults were be married in mass to anonymous partners and consummation would be guaranteed at gunpoint. Children were separated from their parents as soon as they were fit to work and enrolled in the army or work battalions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MIMOySmCZA

i mean, sure, it's a policy with a lot of pitfalls like all radical policies, but i'd like to add that it's also been a driving force in scandinavian attitudes towards family (trying to push mothers into salaried work rather than unpaid domestic labour, full subsidised daycare coverage, mandatory state schooling etc) up until the present day.

basically the critique of the family as an institution is a real thing with fairly specific policy motivations, good and bad, but it's by no means an unfounded critique. the post i was responding to made it seem as though it wasn't

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
"Abolishing the family" is the most naval gazing detached from reality poo poo ever. children need parental love

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Society without a king? That's preposterous.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

HorseLord posted:

"Abolishing the family" is the most naval gazing detached from reality poo poo ever. children need parental love

You stupid fuckers are making me agree with HorseLord and I don't care for it one bit.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I see no problem with looking at boats

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
There have been experiments in communal child raising that have proven psychologically healthy, and some level of communal child raising is a fact of life- daycare, babysitting, and schools are all necessary to the functioning of our society.

I just think that children should also be the primary responsibility of someone who irrationally values their specific personal wellbeing where ever possible, their biological family being the first candidates.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Marenghi posted:

I was going to ask why you don't have the little coin operated locks on carts. We've had them as long as I can remember here, and surprisingly people are fairly good at returning their carts when it's necessary to get their euro back.
But aren't all your coins worth less than a dollar?

Maybe you could operate them on a token system, buy a token for a dollar and use that for unlocking carts.

We actually do have dollar coins, it's just nobody uses them because it's... I don't know, communism probably?

The one place I've ever gotten change as dollar coins was in the New York City subway system, bizarrely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Shame Boy posted:

We actually do have dollar coins, it's just nobody uses them because it's... I don't know, communism probably?

The one place I've ever gotten change as dollar coins was in the New York City subway system, bizarrely.

dc does this too

i gave my last few to some kid running a lemonade stand on the side of the road, they'd never seen one :)

Feral Integral has issued a correction as of 04:18 on Nov 4, 2019