Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

kustomkarkommando posted:

The election period doesn't technically start till the dissolution of parliament which will be one minute past midnight this coming Wednesday, so Tuesday is the last sitting day.

This is important because a lot of things that cost money like getting leaflets through doors in the next few days don't count as election spending until this happens. Get some activity done and dusted before then if you can arrange it.

The 1922 committee is a bunch of horrible Tories which maintain accountability for the leadership within the Tory party.

namesake fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Free hospital parking is relevant as a central policy when you consider NHS underfunding. Because if you leave it to the local authority they're not gonna get rid of the fares because they're not relevant to their actual hospitalling metrics.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tarnop posted:

You can tell they're bullshitting by the bit of their Twitter profile that says "Guardian writer"

Good point. :v:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

OwlFancier posted:

Free hospital parking is relevant as a central policy when you consider NHS underfunding. Because if you leave it to the local authority they're not gonna get rid of the fares because they're not relevant to their actual hospitalling metrics.

the curse of defining your KPI metrics badly

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

namesake posted:

This is important because a lot of things that cost money like getting leaflets through doors in the next few days don't count as election spending until this happens. Get some activity done and dusted before then if you can arrange it.

The 1922 committee is a bunch of horrible Tories which maintain accountability for the leadership within the Tory party.

Nah the electoral commissions regulated period is a full 365 days before an election and in the event of an unscheduled election the same timeframe applies but backdated - so this elections regulated period startef in Dec 2018.

Most past spending won't met the purpose tests to be classed as election spending though unless it's like "vote for us in the coming general election" but yeah leafletting with vote Labour now will absolutely count towards election spending.

The ofcom rules on election coverage and stuff don't kick in until the formal election period though after parliamentary dissolution

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
What lovely weather eh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cerv posted:

the curse of defining your KPI metrics badly

I mean I'd prefer "ensure patients and staff have free parking on site" as a policy rather than "redefine the KPIs for NHS hospitals to promote reasonable levels of access to parking" because I'm not a loving liberal.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
There are actually guidelines for how NHS organizations should administer a transport policy. It does advise hospitals in cities/towns not to charge less than local parking.

A quote repeated in all four of its case studies that gives you a flavour of the problem:

quote:

Car-park occupancy levels often reach and surpass 100%.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

It's not just about people parking at the hospital in order to go somewhere else (as mentioned several times this is easily solved), but there's a broader issue of behaviours that you are trying to encourage. If hospital parking is free but there's only one bus an hour, then people who are for example visiting a friend/relative and have the choice between the bus or driving will take the car because it's far more convenient. There's no reason for the bus provider (even a publically owned one) to add more frequent buses to the route because there aren't that many people using them. What the Guardian article is missing though is that if you just add parking charges without actually providing extra buses or cycle routes etc. then you are just straight up introducing a regressive service charge, which is exactly why Corbyn wants to remove it. If that is combined with the bus plans that Labour have already talked about then I don't see why there's a problem.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
You can tell the weather's poo poo when UKMT is arguing the toss over an article written by some bell-ended liberal Guardian twat

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Got a letter through the door from the Tories asking me to fill out a 2 page questionnaire about the NHS. The last question is good as you get to rank what resources need improving, like who would win in a fight between mental health services or obesity and diabetes.

It also came with a freepost envelope, so I'm tempted to post them the letter back covered in vaseline or alternatively, put the blank form in another envelope without a stamp on so they have to pay to receive it.

So much potential energy the envelope is on fire.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Scikar posted:

If hospital parking is free but there's only one bus an hour, then people who are for example visiting a friend/relative and have the choice between the bus or driving will take the car because it's far more convenient. There's no reason for the bus provider (even a publically owned one) to add more frequent buses to the route because there aren't that many people using them.

That didn't bear out in my town at all (a satellite town to a big-ish city.) There was a point a few years ago, during the mornings, where there was a two hour gap between buses. Even when buses were scheduled more often, their timetable could have a gap of anywhere between 20 minutes and an hour to the next scheduled bus, so they weren't on a regular pattern. For years it was pointed out that people might use the bus if it was scheduled more often and more regularly. The bus company said it didn't make sense when you looked at car ownership and driving levels in the satellite town, until they actually tried it. With buses every half hour, at standardised times people started to use it far more often. So much so that they put them to every fifteen minutes a year or two ago, and when they did that passenger levels went up again. People use public transport if it's reliable, if they can get it without having to wait too long (both at the stop and for an amenable general wait-time) and if it's affordable. That's even before you get to the idea that a bus to a big hospital, even running at a loss, is a social good.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

justcola posted:

Got a letter through the door from the Tories asking me to fill out a 2 page questionnaire about the NHS. The last question is good as you get to rank what resources need improving, like who would win in a fight between mental health services or obesity and diabetes.

It also came with a freepost envelope, so I'm tempted to post them the letter back covered in vaseline or alternatively, put the blank form in another envelope without a stamp on so they have to pay to receive it.

rate everything as 1 for importance, then draw in an extra box marked "Treating Tories who get sick" and rate that 2-8.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Can you tape the freepost envelope to a paving stone or cinder block and send it?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I'd prefer "ensure patients and staff have free parking on site" as a policy rather than "redefine the KPIs for NHS hospitals to promote reasonable levels of access to parking" because I'm not a loving liberal.

last time I went to hospital it was at UCLH
tell me more about how you’d ensure free parking on site there? and why that’s not a stupid thing to be doing

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

justcola posted:

Was that addressed to you by name? If so, what does the privacy text say? Does it give the opportunity to opt out of such post?

Because the stuff about 'We're investing billions in the NHS' looks like they are trying to engage in marketing to you, but give it a fig leaf pretending that it is market research.

You may want to think about submitting a subject access request demanding to know what information they hold on you - to give their volunteers and interns a bit more admin during the election period.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

when people describe lib dems and lib dem boosters as social fascists there is some truth there tbh

https://twitter.com/toast_fam/status/1190488920921985024?s=19

another good example would be lib dem hysteric oz katerji cheering on the US police arresting max blumenthal. they will absolutely go along with the coup MI5 and army top brass have threatened if corbyn wins. i think the left is seriously underestimating capital's willingness to use violence.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cerv posted:

tell me more about how you’d ensure free parking on site there? and why that’s not a stupid thing to be doing

The world is not london.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

gh0stpinballa posted:

when people describe lib dems and lib dem boosters as social fascists there is some truth there tbh

another good example would be lib dem hysteric oz katerji cheering on the US police arresting max blumenthal. they will absolutely go along with the coup MI5 and army top brass have threatened if corbyn wins. i think the left is seriously underestimating capital's willingness to use violence.
oh dear. noted aristocrat marina hyde. or marine hyda, because she probably wants to station troops all round the globe

the incredibly dumb thing is that Labour isn't even that threatening to capital - capital is grumbling but sort of willing-ish because Labour isn't actually anti-capitalism, it's the """elite""" (lol) journalists and political class who have the problem. like, for many factions of capital, a Labour government wouldn't be that bad, all things considered, and Labour higher-ups have shown willingness to compromise. just dumb as poo poo decision making all round

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
ahaha
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/nov/02/super-rich-leave-uk-labour-election-win-jeremy-corbyn-wealth-taxes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Disabled parking spaces are not there to make them free, they're there to make them close to the thing you're using. And also wide enough for chair access etc.

Which applies whether the park is free or ticketed.

But ticketed car parks on vital services are part of a far more cohesive question about why we can't just make poo poo a public service funded by taxation of surplus productivity.

Free parking already exists, free parking in hospitals did exist not so long ago, the reason we don't have it now is not because we can't have it, it's because liberal shitheads can't handle the notion of centralized provision of services on the basis that services are good for society.
There's also a certain type of person who is pathologically terrified that someone somewhere is getting away with something (see also benefits).

This extends far beyond the public sector too. I recently got charged twice for a First day pass when paying by contactless. In retrospect I should have just called my bank and said that I didn't authorize the second transaction, which is true. Instead I went into the First travel office and tried to sort it out nicely. In the end it took a week and four loving calls totalling over an hour to sort this poo poo out. They'd have lost less money just saying "okay, you're either genuine enough or a good enough scammer to have a ticket number that matches exactly the time and date of your journey, here's your £4.20" and instead they had to spend over twice the actual cost of the ticket in employee time (I pointed that out in the final call).

It's obviously designed to put people off, but it's illustrative of the mindset that it's better to spend a tenner to stop someone getting £4 than to let them have the £4 and there's a chance they don't deserve it.

Cerv posted:

Massive investment into towns of between 500,000 and 1.5m people to remove urban pressure on London.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Labour sorting out London’s house prices.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

CGI Stardust posted:

oh dear. noted aristocrat marina hyde. or marine hyda, because she probably wants to station troops all round the globe

the incredibly dumb thing is that Labour isn't even that threatening to capital - capital is grumbling but sort of willing-ish because Labour isn't actually anti-capitalism, it's the """elite""" (lol) journalists and political class who have the problem. like, for many factions of capital, a Labour government wouldn't be that bad, all things considered, and Labour higher-ups have shown willingness to compromise. just dumb as poo poo decision making all round

the objective reality of corbyn as a compromise candidate between the left and the middle doesn't matter really, cos capital and media "perceive" him as a threat. there is room to work with this so it's not entirely bleak, but there are plenty of wealthy, elderly fascists around who will be fully on board with a violent right wing street movement.

all for nothing cos it's gonna be a hung parliament anyway.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Guavanaut posted:

"infinite demand for a free good" lot

Death is free, everybody dies eventually, ergo theory proven :smuggo:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Going to smear yogurt on a wealthy elderly fascist.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Tigey posted:

Was that addressed to you by name? If so, what does the privacy text say? Does it give the opportunity to opt out of such post?

Because the stuff about 'We're investing billions in the NHS' looks like they are trying to engage in marketing to you, but give it a fig leaf pretending that it is market research.

You may want to think about submitting a subject access request demanding to know what information they hold on you - to give their volunteers and interns a bit more admin during the election period.

It was addressed directly to me, so I put one in - ta for the reminder.

Heck, we can all do it ^-^ https://www.conservatives.com/Contact

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

CGI Stardust posted:

the objective reality of corbyn as a compromise candidate between the left and the middle doesn't matter really, cos capital and media "perceive" him as a threat. there is room to work with this so it's not entirely bleak, but there are plenty of wealthy, elderly fascists around who will be fully on board with a violent right wing street movement.

all for nothing cos it's gonna be a hung parliament anyway.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Me too. I've been lurking in the UKMT thread(s) for a long time now, even though I'm Australian. I also lurk the USPol thread because I like to know what's going on in a lot of the western world. And for all the differences between the UK, the US and Aus, we do have four major problems in common. The fash, capitalism gone wild, climate change and centrists punching down.

I've been very happy to see so many people take this upcoming election seriously and talk about getting out there and canvassing and all that if they feel they are able to.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

flaps has finally appeared in his referendum thread lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The world is not london.

[citation needed]

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

The world is not london.

The world is a cold, lonely, hopeless place, so it fits perfectly

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I decided to post the letter back just saying 'GET BREXIT DONE' as false information is the best information sometimes.

Fleshwit posted:

Me too. I've been lurking in the UKMT thread(s) for a long time now, even though I'm Australian. I also lurk the USPol thread because I like to know what's going on in a lot of the western world. And for all the differences between the UK, the US and Aus, we do have four major problems in common. The fash, capitalism gone wild, climate change and centrists punching down.

I've been very happy to see so many people take this upcoming election seriously and talk about getting out there and canvassing and all that if they feel they are able to.

Is there a USPol explainer anywhere? I've kept up to date until about 2 months ago as it was getting a bit repetitive but seems like things are moving along a bit? (welcome to the thread stay for awhile put your feet up have a brew)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lol just got an email begging me to donate to Dominic Grieve's campaign. I think it's because I signed some anti-Brexit petition years ago.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
US politics seems to be following the same trajectory as the UK in that the established right wing party is gleefully trampling over all the established political norms while the Sensible Centrist commentariat shake their heads sadly and opine that the Left is just as bad.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

flaps has finally appeared in his referendum thread lol

one the one hand having a(nother) thread devoted entirely to him is probably feeding his ego even more

on the other it means he's about to be shitcanned so it's probably worth it

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There is not an ironicat big enough to represent the lib dems complaining that ITV's debate not including Swinson 'misrepresents the political reality'

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Julio Cruz posted:

one the one hand having a(nother) thread devoted entirely to him is probably feeding his ego even more

on the other it means he's about to be shitcanned so it's probably worth it

The poll is currently 80%+ in favor of him being permabanned so I'd say it's probably curtains for p1ssflaps, barring a last-minute upset.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mrenda posted:

That didn't bear out in my town at all (a satellite town to a big-ish city.) There was a point a few years ago, during the mornings, where there was a two hour gap between buses. Even when buses were scheduled more often, their timetable could have a gap of anywhere between 20 minutes and an hour to the next scheduled bus, so they weren't on a regular pattern. For years it was pointed out that people might use the bus if it was scheduled more often and more regularly. The bus company said it didn't make sense when you looked at car ownership and driving levels in the satellite town, until they actually tried it. With buses every half hour, at standardised times people started to use it far more often. So much so that they put them to every fifteen minutes a year or two ago, and when they did that passenger levels went up again. People use public transport if it's reliable, if they can get it without having to wait too long (both at the stop and for an amenable general wait-time) and if it's affordable. That's even before you get to the idea that a bus to a big hospital, even running at a loss, is a social good.

Bus services should also have a 3 year rolling guaranteed timetable so people can PLAN.

I had to go to my nearest hospital a couple of months ago. The bus from my town to that town runs every 2 hours. When I get to the hospital town there is then a bus every hour to the hospital (which of course does not tie in at all with the arrival of the bus from my town). I was able to get a lift as far as the bus station but then I had a 40 minute walk in pelting rain to get to my appointment. Luckily a relative was able to fetch me back otherwise that would have been another 40 minute walk in torrential rain.
Fortunately, I was going for an ultrasound, not some kind of dread disease.
I know people who have used hospital transport and they sometimes sit waiting hours upon hours for the transport to either fetch them or bring them home again.

When dad was dying of cancer and getting chemo, I did some research into 'what exactly do people who are without friends and family supposed to do' (fortunately dad was not in that position) and there was no kind of financial help. One woman was paying £150 each way in a taxi to get to her chemo hospital.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 2, 2019

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Anybody watch Channel 4 news? I've just seen a Tory MP without a poppy. The Labour MP had one and the Green Party member had a white one but not the Tory MP. I don't care that he didn't have one I'm just amazed his people weren't throwing fistfuls of them at him before he went on camera. His none answers to the questions were amazing and his gesticulating was 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tsaedje posted:

There is not an ironicat big enough to represent the lib dems complaining that ITV's debate not including Swinson 'misrepresents the political reality'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0