Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Google is seriously buying FitBit now? Didn't the number of devices they were selling peak in like 2016?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Here's a graph:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah, weird. why the heck would google want to buy the smart watch company with the largest install base that has a huge amount of consumer data?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

google nest Fitbit by alphabet

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

yeah, weird. why the heck would google want to buy the smart watch company with the largest install base that has a huge amount of consumer data?
Because they're the new microsoft and they'll just keep launching different watch products in hopes that one can successfully compete with Apple? I guess on paper FitBit looks good because of their market share but IMO they're screwed because the niche they did best (single function fitness tracker watches) is going to die.

There was a brief window of opportunity when existing GPS fitness watches (Garmin) were too expensive and couldn't track steps and smartwatches didn't have GPS/heartrate monitoring but it's over now. That's ignoring the possibility that the whole fad will die out in the first place.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 28, 2019

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
seems more defensive than anything else - google has an interest in keeping apple from sewing up the entire wearable/health monitor, even if it means losing money

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

too bad they can’t help but kill any brand they purchase within two years

mystes
May 31, 2006

The existence of FitBit may already help prevent some people from switching to Apple just for the Apple Watch, and there's no need to buy them out for that. Also, if Google does buy them they're probably going to kill their products by trying to make them into higher end watches.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

mystes posted:

The existence of FitBit may already help prevent some people from switching to Apple just for the Apple Watch, and there's no need to buy them out for that. Also, if Google does buy them they're probably going to kill their products by trying to make them into higher end watches.

give them some credit. google has many exciting and varied ways to kill the Fitbit brand

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mystes posted:

Because they're the new microsoft and they'll just keep launching different watch products in hopes that one can successfully compete with Apple? I guess on paper FitBit looks good because of their market share but IMO they're screwed because the niche they did best (single function fitness tracker watches) is going to die.

There was a brief window of opportunity when existing GPS fitness watches (Garmin) were too expensive and couldn't track steps and smartwatches didn't have GPS/heartrate monitoring but it's over now. That's ignoring the possibility that the whole fad will die out in the first place.

that was sarcasm. they want the user data because google is an advertising company.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
when google does something if you want to know why just as yourself "how does this help them sell ads?"

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Shaggar posted:

when google does something if you want to know why just as yourself "how does this help them sell ads?"

was going to try and use google glass, the 100s of different chat apps, and nest as counter examples but then i realized, all these vaporware products exist on some meta-level to allow google to portray itself as a tech company and not an ad company, which does in fact help them sell ads

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
pebble time for gents, and peble time round for lassies ... epic watches, best ever. Case closed. Bring em back Sundar!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Fitbit is already a walking corpse. they will die regardless of whether google buys them. 5 years ago their stock was at $48/share. last week it was at $4.50. they have no profits and everyone that wants a Fitbit already bought one. they blew their wad on their Apple Watch knockoff and it didn’t seem to have done anything.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Plank Walker posted:

was going to try and use google glass, the 100s of different chat apps, and nest as counter examples but then i realized, all these vaporware products exist on some meta-level to allow google to portray itself as a tech company and not an ad company, which does in fact help them sell ads

chat content is easily monetizable and nest et. al. is litterrally allowing them to spy on you in your home. goog glass was definitely fluff tho

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

Fitbit is already a walking corpse. they will die regardless of whether google buys them. 5 years ago their stock was at $48/share. last week it was at $4.50. they have no profits and everyone that wants a Fitbit already bought one. they blew their wad on their Apple Watch knockoff and it didn’t seem to have done anything.
they were also a fad. people bought fitbits, found that they didnt actually make them any healthier or fitter or more prone to exercise, and consigned 95% of them to sit in a drawer somewhere. theyre the cyber gadget equivalent of the nautilus or bowflex machine that becomes an ugly laundry rack

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
meanwhile Apple watches are $200 and all my millennial friends and I are buying them for our boomer parents for the fall detection alone, if they haven’t bought them already themselves.

‘grats on selling death notification devices to America’s shittiest generation, timb

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Scott Forstall posted:

meanwhile Apple watches are $200 and all my millennial friends and I are buying them for our boomer parents for the fall detection alone, if they haven’t bought them already themselves.

‘grats on selling death notification devices to America’s shittiest generation, timb

now if more insurance companies would subsidise them imagine what they could do

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I was going to say based on my experience with Fitbit, there's no way it can actually get worse but then a second later I realised it definitely could will.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shaggar posted:

chat content is easily monetizable and nest et. al. is litterrally allowing them to spy on you in your home. goog glass was definitely fluff tho

google glass endgame was constantly beaming ads straight into your eyes as you go about your daily life, while also uploading everything you look at to google’s servers. they killed it because it became clear the world wasn’t ready for this yet.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
and also the reality of a two hour battery life even if it did none of that stuff

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

google glass endgame was constantly beaming ads straight into your eyes as you go about your daily life, while also uploading everything you look at to google’s servers. they killed it because it became clear the world wasn’t ready for this yet.

goog glass could never actually work tho cause it requires too much power. the always on cameras and mics would also be a data slurping dream

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

goog glass could never actually work tho cause it requires too much power. the always on cameras and mics would also be a data slurping dream

that's why "always on camera that knows the best time to take pictures" got made into a product [then killed 2 years later]

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

that's why "always on camera that knows the best time to take pictures" got made into a product [then killed 2 years later]

i guarantee you that thing was just triggered by a math.random() timer

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

thats cool

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

my battery won't last two hours, but i can pretend to tickle pikachu

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

infernal machines posted:

my battery won't last two hours, but i can pretend to tickle pikachu

listen up: buy some bitcoin now. Sell it when it gets to like $20 grand. I know it sounds crazy, but it will get there. Don't put them in MTGOX. Trust me.

Also: Put a shitload of money on DONALD TRUMP in 2016 on a website that will be called "PredictIt". I know, I know, it's insane - but just do it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol.

anyway, a bunch more moto razr renders leaked, supposedly "official". ars asks: okay, but can they build it

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i forgot to mention i got a pixel 4 xl

here is my unboxing video

https://i.imgur.com/aYL5cZ6.mp4

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

who needs one telephone when you can have three?

bull3964 posted:

And there it is, google buys Fitbit for $2.1 billion.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/11/01/google-buys-fitbit/

Also, if you were stung on Google's trade in value for the Pixel 3, Samsung is doing another $450 trade in (instant value off) if you buy a Note 10 family device.

I may have ordered a Note 10 Plus and used my P3 as trade because I hate money and figured I would go with the flagship trifecta (OP7P, P4XL, Note 10+).

Honestly, it's sort of a lateral move money wise as I could turn around and sell the NIB Note 10+ and break even from where I would be if I just sold the P3 outright. I'm not going to do that though, I figure it's worthwhile to see how Samsung has come along all these years and I know the Note 10+ would be worth a lot for trade later if I want to dabble in another device next year. If nothing else, it will make a pretty decent small form factor tablet for around the house.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

who needs one telephone when you can have three?

what is wrong with this person's brain?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

he's just a free thinker going his own way :smug:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

infernal machines posted:

what is wrong with this person's brain?

theres such a long tail of odd details sprinkled in along with the compulsive spending that if it all turned out to be a toblerone triangular situation id believe it but its been such a slow low key burn i know in my heart that its real and sad

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the tiktok nut 3

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
samsung shutting down the custom cpu team in Austin and San Jose, it seems:

https://www.kxan.com/news/local-news/samsung-laying-off-290-employees-in-austin/

future exynos designs will be off the shelf arm cores, I guess.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

did they ever see any benefit to that?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

don't think arm really leaves that much low-hanging fruit where they do offer a soc of suitable size/specs to what is needed, so probably wasted effort.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

don't think arm really leaves that much low-hanging fruit where they do offer a soc of suitable size/specs to what is needed, so probably wasted effort.

Apple has disproven this. arm’s cores are not very parallel, having limited execution width, out-of-order capability, and optimization buffers. the ISA is capable of much more, but arm has a fairly conservative microarchitecture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

Apple has disproven this. arm’s cores are not very parallel, having limited execution width, out-of-order capability, and optimization buffers. the ISA is capable of much more, but arm has a fairly conservative microarchitecture.

apples socs and cores are way way larger than arms though, just saying that i don't think there's that much on the table at the scale arm does cores at (i assume arm at least has bigger stuff on the roadmap, but i expect that apple will keep being the most audacious designers for the foreseeable future).

possibly samsung should have attempted something similarly ambitious, but they were mostly playing in the same ballpark as arm, and thus achieved nothing terribly interesting.