Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

That looks great, and the 3 looks good too if you don't need a full size gpu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The CPU cooler height is troublesome if you want something on the heavyweight side for CPUs and mounting an external radiator seems like a fool’s errand with that case. But maybe it’s worth trying. At a certain point a NUC is a better idea than an SFF system and what I wound up with for over a year until I put my full size 3900X system together.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Lungboy posted:

That looks great, and the 3 looks good too if you don't need a full size gpu.

All the connectors being at the top is an absolute deal breaker for me though, looks ridiculous

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

All the connectors being at the top is an absolute deal breaker for me though, looks ridiculous

Isn’t that the back but it’s just stood upright for the picture?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

That's the top

Re: this note: >Some motherboards with integrated IO shields may be incompatible<

I can see this being a problem with a bunch of boards, such as (EG) the Gigabyte X570 ITX board.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

That's what I thought as well, but the power cord goes into what you might think the bottom would be.

e. We're gonna cram all these components in as cramped as they can be and make some questionable design decisions all in the name of reducing space, but heaven forbid we get rid of the front panel usb and audio ports. We can't actually put them on the front of the case though so we'll just stick them on the back.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 25, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I take it back, that’s a terrible design lol

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I don't mind cables sticking out of the top. The 3 would be perfect but that flex psu looks like a deal breaker.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The Dan A4 SFFLabs preorders are shipping so I can finally contemplate my build . I sat on my rear end instead of buying the 92mm AIO so I will get ripped to buy that from the U.K. if it doesn’t come back in stock domestically.

Still looking at some decent builds.

I’ve seen a post from Dan that the 3M riser won’t work at PCIe 4.0 which I’m a bit concerned with but it appears to not be an issue for now as long as I don’t try to use that standard.

It’s been so long (11 years) since I’ve built a computer, the paralysis of selecting components in the ever moving window of obsolescence is coming back to me now.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm looking to build an ITX system and I'm curious if a single 120mm case fan would be sufficient to air-cool high end components, like this:

Components would be something like a non-reference 2080ti to serve as an the intake, a 3700x with a Noctua D9L cooler and a 120mm case fan as the exhaust. I'm not interested in overclocking of course but I would like the components, specifically the GPU, to not be thermally limited, is this feasible?

The space I have in mind only allows for a horizontal case, thus a lot of the common SFF case options are out the window. The one I'm eyeing and used for the picture is the Lian Li Q50X:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811112568

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That's going to be like a small toaster oven.

eames
May 9, 2009

The a single 120mm exhausting at the top isn’t going to cut it unless you underclock and undervolt those components very significantly to make them more power efficient. From what I can tell that single fan wouldn’t even pull air from the bottom because of the vent in the side panel near the CPU.

If I had to make this case work I’d fit 2-3 slim 120mm intake fans to the bottom of the case for overall positive pressure and either close the side panel vent or add another very slim 120mm to the side panel above the CPU as an intake. In theory you could achieve the same thing with custom made ducts.

e: it looks like I was wrong and those side panel vents are on the other side for the PSU. In that case I’d flip the top 120mm around to act as an intake while still having 2-3 slim intake fans on the bottom. That way it would exhaust through the front via positive pressure and the whole thing has a chance at working... but probably not great. The whole thing looks like it was designed for 50W HTPC, not 350W high end components. I wasted a lot of time writing what grindcore meggido wrote in one sentence. :shobon:

eames fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 2, 2019

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm looking to build an ITX system and I'm curious if a single 120mm case fan would be sufficient to air-cool high end components, like this:

Components would be something like a non-reference 2080ti to serve as an the intake, a 3700x with a Noctua D9L cooler and a 120mm case fan as the exhaust. I'm not interested in overclocking of course but I would like the components, specifically the GPU, to not be thermally limited, is this feasible?

The space I have in mind only allows for a horizontal case, thus a lot of the common SFF case options are out the window. The one I'm eyeing and used for the picture is the Lian Li Q50X:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811112568
What do you mean by "horizontal case" because that sure doesn't look horizontal.

When I think "horizontal" I think "the motherboard is horizontal" like the Core V1 or Core 500

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 3, 2019

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

The United States posted:

What do you mean by "horizontal case" because that sure doesn't look horizontal.
The newegg page doesn't show it for some reason, but the feet can be repositioned and the entire case turned on its side: http://www.lian-li.com/pc-q50/

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That Lian case can be laid flat, I think.
Efb

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 2, 2019

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Don't know about that q50 case but the TU150 seems to run very cool with just a single 120mm fan running as exhaust.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Not into exhaust-only setups because of dust

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thanks for the advice, I see that this case isn't a great option for my intended use case. Perhaps the Node 304 would be a better fit for my scenario? This is where I'm hoping to put the new build eventually:

Another Lian-Li alternative might be the Q38, it is similar to the already posted Q50 except it supports a 240mm radiator mount for a CPU cooler at the top:

http://www.lian-li.com/pc-q38/

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Based on those dimensions it looks like you could definitely fit a RVZ03 in there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mCQmZJ5oYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebFfH7LoiwE

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
That case is one I considered also, it would be a pretty tight fit tho as a depth of the case of 350mm would only allow for about 10mm for cables. I guess I could move it forwards a bit but the case protruding from the space doesn't seem all that great.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Node 202 and SG13 would both fit comfortably. Whether they'd fit the hardware you want is a different matter.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I'm looking to build my own machine to run a dedicated Plex server and have been playing around with a bunch of configurations. Currently landed on the Node 202 case but I'm curious if laptop 2.5" hard drives can fit in its 2 x 2.5" slots? They're listed as "2 - 2.5? SSD unit positions" on the NewEgg product page so I'm not too sure. Basically, I don't need this machine to be a huge, expandable, raid array but am trying to see if I can slap a couple 4tb WD Greens in there vs 2TB SSDs.

(Yes, I know I can run Plex off a NUC or just a premade NAS but that's not as fun as this).

Talaii
Sep 5, 2003

You crack me up, lil buddy!

Doh004 posted:

I'm looking to build my own machine to run a dedicated Plex server and have been playing around with a bunch of configurations. Currently landed on the Node 202 case but I'm curious if laptop 2.5" hard drives can fit in its 2 x 2.5" slots? They're listed as "2 - 2.5? SSD unit positions" on the NewEgg product page so I'm not too sure. Basically, I don't need this machine to be a huge, expandable, raid array but am trying to see if I can slap a couple 4tb WD Greens in there vs 2TB SSDs.

The only variance in size between 2.5" drives is height - they are the same length/width and have the same screw-holes for mounting, but some of the platter drives are thicker. The node 202 explicitly lists a height limitation of 10.5mm, which means some of the thicker (higher-capacity, generally) laptop drives won't fit - including the 4TB WD greens.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Talaii posted:

The only variance in size between 2.5" drives is height - they are the same length/width and have the same screw-holes for mounting, but some of the platter drives are thicker. The node 202 explicitly lists a height limitation of 10.5mm, which means some of the thicker (higher-capacity, generally) laptop drives won't fit - including the 4TB WD greens.

Got it! Thank you for the clarification.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Lungboy posted:

Node 202 and SG13 would both fit comfortably. Whether they'd fit the hardware you want is a different matter.

I looked into these a bit and the 202 seems to struggle when cooling high end components in a horizontal orientation and the SG13 doesn't fit a 2080ti as far as I can tell. Has anyone here used a Fractal Design Node 304 or Core 500? Those are pushing it as far as height goes but should be able to fit in the space posted above.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I have an SG10 I could move on from, cooling is pretty good with the giant fan up top.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Incessant Excess posted:

I looked into these a bit and the 202 seems to struggle when cooling high end components in a horizontal orientation and the SG13 doesn't fit a 2080ti as far as I can tell. Has anyone here used a Fractal Design Node 304 or Core 500? Those are pushing it as far as height goes but should be able to fit in the space posted above.

I have a 304. It’s my favourite case I’ve ever built in. I keep the case fans on low, and it sits quietly in my living room serving home server duties (Plex, fileserver, docker host). I can’t speak to how it would go with high end components as I have an HBA instead of a dGPU, but it’s certainly a quality case.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I got my A4 in , just now anxiously awaiting some good Black Friday deals to put it all together

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I wonder if the full copper AXP 90 is going to be noticeably better at cooling CPUs in the A4, especially Ryzens since they don't have the option to use the LP53 heatsink (and the Blackridge is bad unless you want to take tools to the retention mechanism and use VLP RAM):

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/thermalright-axp90.11795/

Last weekend I built another A4 based on a Ryzen 3700X with a friend and while the Noctua cooler is fine in general, the Ryzen boost behaviour makes the fan spin up more often than I'd like (my friend is fine with it, he also has a Zotac RTX 2070 Super that sounds like a jet taking off when the fans spin up at launch, I don't know often they do while gaming though). Maybe a more potent heatsink could help (the one of the Noctua NH-L9 is just tiny).

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Based on those dimensions it looks like you could definitely fit a RVZ03 in there

I've looked into this some more and the RVZ01-E (same internals as the RVZ03) seems to indeed be my best option. Putting a build together in this case, it seems there's two ways to do CPU cooling:

1. Use a (relatively) high CPU cooler, the Noctua NH-L12S, and leave the case fan slot above the CPU empty
2. Use a (slightly) smaller CPU cooler, the Noctua NH-L9x65, and also put a 120mm Noctua fan in the case fan slot above the CPU

I'm wondering if there would be a meaningful difference in CPU temps between these two setups? I'm leaning towards the second variant, since that cooler would put no restrictions on RAM height but I am a bit concerned about thermals. The CPU in question would be a 3700X.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

I've looked into this some more and the RVZ01-E (same internals as the RVZ03) seems to indeed be my best option. Putting a build together in this case, it seems there's two ways to do CPU cooling:

1. Use a (relatively) high CPU cooler, the Noctua NH-L12S, and leave the case fan slot above the CPU empty
2. Use a (slightly) smaller CPU cooler, the Noctua NH-L9x65, and also put a 120mm Noctua fan in the case fan slot above the CPU

I'm wondering if there would be a meaningful difference in CPU temps between these two setups? I'm leaning towards the second variant, since that cooler would put no restrictions on RAM height but I am a bit concerned about thermals. The CPU in question would be a 3700X.

I'm also interested in the answer to this. The FTZ01 (which I'm planning to use in my next build if I can't get my grubby mitts on a Ghost in the meantime) seems to offer the same tradeoff.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

https://www.chiphell.com/portal.php?mod=view&aid=22232&page=35

The NH-L9x65 is pretty anemic for the height, I feel like you have to sacrifice ram compatibility to run a 3700x. As for the actual question, you're on your own :v: Couldn't find anyone who has actually tested both setups but my gut feeling says bigger cooler and peg one of the intake fans to cpu or cpu/gpu temps for airflow. Although I think you can fit an AIO in there which is probably the best option?

Also, if you're going to have the case horizontally, it's probably worth picking up bigger case feet. Dunno about RVZ01, but Node 202 ships with tiny 5-6mm ones which choke the intake fans.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Warmachine posted:

I'm also interested in the answer to this. The FTZ01 (which I'm planning to use in my next build if I can't get my grubby mitts on a Ghost in the meantime) seems to offer the same tradeoff.

I considered the FTZ01 as well but decided against it since, as far as I could tell, the only differences are aluminum panels and a different front, which wasn't enough for me to justify the near doubling of the price in my region.

Arzachel posted:

https://www.chiphell.com/portal.php?mod=view&aid=22232&page=35

The NH-L9x65 is pretty anemic for the height, I feel like you have to sacrifice ram compatibility to run a 3700x. As for the actual question, you're on your own :v: Couldn't find anyone who has actually tested both setups but my gut feeling says bigger cooler and peg one of the intake fans to cpu or cpu/gpu temps for airflow. Although I think you can fit an AIO in there which is probably the best option?

Also, if you're going to have the case horizontally, it's probably worth picking up bigger case feet. Dunno about RVZ01, but Node 202 ships with tiny 5-6mm ones which choke the intake fans.

Unfortunately I have already ordered the parts since no one was immediately screaming "don't do this" at me, I'll hope for the best as far as thermals go and will post some numbers once the build is finished.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Worst case you can always lower the tdp limit on the cpu and it should undervolt itself gracefully.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I think Dan A4 clones are the most common mini-itx cases at this point...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruNMvFj1n7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teUaQpxIqow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XozPPqsE7lY

Incessant Excess posted:

The RVZ01 design is old enough that all the reviews are a bit hazy at this point, but from what I can remember, Option 2 generally yielded the lower temps because forcing fresh, cool air in through the opening was the most important factor. Some people on forums were making custom shrouds/ducts to try to make Option 1 work as well as possible though (since no motherboard ever had the CPU socket placement *exactly* such that the cooler fan would line up perfectly with the opening in the case). Comedy Option 3 is to use a CLC with a 120mm radiator that is small enough to fit, but IIRC there was only one model back then that could.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I think Dan A4 clones are the most common mini-itx cases at this point...

Maybe I'll be able to buy one somewhere then, instead of everyone being out of stock everywhere I look. :mad:

I like that Mjolnir, but the price and that damage on the riser cable in the Optimum Tech review make me real hesitant.

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

I have been out of the game for a long while, and am super excited to jump back in with a sffpc.

I am looking to game with CS:GO, Overwatch, WC3: Reforged, Doom, and all my favorite old school FPS games. Don’t need this machine to do anything except play some games online.

How does this build look to you guys?

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/mnP323

Ultimately I’m driven by the aesthetic decision of a Dan A4 or Streacom DA2 case. Hoping to build something around 1k minus the monitor, keyboard and mouse.

meta² fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 28, 2019

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

You can definitely find a 1tb NVMe drive for sub $100, so I would go with that over a 240 and 500 separately.

And if you can stretch the budget I'd get a 2tb even, games are huge and only getting bigger.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I'm not a huge fan of the MSi B450i Gaming Plus. It has top-notch VRM, but you definitely don't need that for a 2600 and the rest of it's features are decidedly lacking. The Asus B450i costs $25 more, but gets you a second M.2 slot, Gen 2 usb 3.1 ports, top-tier onboard audio, and Intel LAN. On the other side, the ASrock B450 itx costs $45 less than the MSi, still has sufficient VRM for a 2600x/3600/3700x, and gets you Gen 2 usb 3.1 ports, top-tier audio, and Intel LAN. Memory support isn't as good as the MSi or Asus boards, but work fine with the Vengeance.

I'd save a bit and get Gigabyte OC over the Ventus. It has a zero-rpm mode when idle and the Ventus is pretty tall. While it would likely still fit, the connectors will be pretty snug.

E: You can get a Corsair or Seasonic sfx psu for less than the Silverstone. The Seasonic golds come with a 10-year warranty and the Corsair Golds with a 7-year warranty vs the Silverstone's 3 years.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I missed that the Enthoo Evolv Shift Air finally released. Has anyone seen any reviews yet or know if it fixed the overheating issues of the original Shift?