Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
a very important peep is fourteen years old today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
jesus gently caress! now another mountain is on fire! first to the east, now to the west. this state is hosed

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't think i'll have to evacuate for this one though

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

dont have to worry about forest fires if you got no trees

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's not even trees. it's brush that's specifically evolved to spontaneously ignite pressed right up against tract homes, all while climate change pushes everything to more extremes

yesterday's fire took out one of our restoration sites, tonight's fire is threating a second site

the mustard will come in afterwards and choke out the ashes of everything we cleared and planted, this world is hosed

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

jesus gently caress! now another mountain is on fire! first to the east, now to the west. this state is hosed

Turns out Brexit wasn't delayed, it just got moved to California.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Berke Negri posted:

dont have to worry about forest fires if you got no trees
the thing is that cutting down the trees creates more shrubland, because most shrubland species have evolved to grow like mad when exposed to the slightest slant of light that breaks through the canopy and so in cleared areas they're the only thing that'll grow. that's why landscapes evolve over time from bare ground -> grassland -> shrubland -> woodland -> forest. humans (specifically white humans, in america and australia) have created vast tracts of shrubland by clearing land and then abandoning it to ecological succession. pre-climate change, the forest tree saplings (which struggle to survive in full exposure) would have grown up through the shrubs, but now it's too dry for most of the local species to survive anymore, so the shrubs just grow and grow. in australia they're calling this an ecological trap, because our shrubs burn even more easily than our trees, and our trees are killed by fire when they're younger than five years, so the constant fires are going to kill the trees, but the shrubs, which love fire (american shrubs are the same) will just keep getting thicker and thicker and producing more and more oil for the fires to burn

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i'm studying wildfire at college right now, it's intense

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

we're not at the american utopia stage of using prisoners as slave labour to fight fires yet (we will be there within about twelve months), so our fire-fighting service is almost entirely volunteers. like all volunteer industries in australia it is about 80% old white men, 15% long-term unemployed younger people, and 5% indigenous people of all demographics who are excluded and ignored. but as you know it is also composed almost entirely of people who, whatever their background, really loving love fire. they love it. now i'm getting to meet some of these people and they are amazing. arsonist firefighters are a well-known phenomenon but most volunteer firefighters are compassionate courageous individuals who take their job with deadly seriousness and would rather die by their own hand than deliberately set a wildfire. but they love wildfires. they loving love them. so while they will not tolerate arsonists in their own crews, they all get very excited when someone else sets a fire and there is a definite sense of "well, someone had to do it"

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

our teacher (the guy who whistles birds down from the trees) has been valiantly fighting fires for fifty years and he has a few videos of beautifully executed and filmed backburns that he's made us watch repeatedly, sometimes twice in a row, while he sits there murmuring "look at that fine fuel catch... mate it's just amazing how quick it all goes up..."

fauna fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 1, 2019

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i think the trajectory of my life may involve me at some point, possibly the end, walking up the mountain alone to meet the burning bush

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

fauna posted:

i think the trajectory of my life may involve me at some point, possibly the end, walking up the mountain alone to meet the burning bush

you might want to see a doctor about that

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fauna posted:

Did Xanthia tell you you're actually the prince yet?

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Jerry Cotton posted:

Did Xanthia tell you you're actually the prince yet?
what? no

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!

fauna posted:

our teacher (the guy who whistles birds down from the trees) has been valiantly fighting fires for fifty years and he has a few videos of beautifully executed and filmed backburns that he's made us watch repeatedly, sometimes twice in a row, while he sits there murmuring "look at that fine fuel catch... mate it's just amazing how quick it all goes up..."

I like this guy

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

A real hero

Avs, I mean

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fauna posted:

what? no

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tz5ykjis2k

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

throw the apple into it

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
There’s a guy I know who’s a friend of a couple friends who’s always seemed kind of odd to me and I haven’t been able to put my finger on it but tonight he’s wearing a vaguely militaristic Halloween costume and I realized it’s that he looks a lot like Martin Bormann, that’s why I keep getting bad vibes from him

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Bernstrike posted:

you might want to see a doctor about that

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mother has cancer. Grandfather just diagnosed with cancer. Just put down 2 of my cats 5 days apart because of cancer.

gently caress cancer. gently caress it so loving hard.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
https://twitter.com/iknownaama/status/1190406813008703489?s=21

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Mother has cancer. Grandfather just diagnosed with cancer. Just put down 2 of my cats 5 days apart because of cancer.

Jesus Christ mate, I'm so sorry

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

that’s sucks, but please remember to take care of your sanity too

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im just so mentally and emotionally spent, I dont know how much more I can handle.

At least Trump getting impeached and tossed in jail might cheer me up.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Furnaceface posted:

I'm so sorry :(

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Furnaceface posted:

I'm really sorry dude that's horrible. take care of yourself too, man, this is some heavy poo poo to handle.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

you are the only help i need :glomp:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

loving hell i'm so sorry

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Furnaceface posted:

god drat, i'm so sorry

please take kals advice about maintaining your own sanity. there are support groups and resources for family members of those being treated for cancer. they can help

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

god drat, i'm so sorry

please take kals advice about maintaining your own sanity. there are support groups and resources for family members of those being treated for cancer. they can help

The hospital here has a loving amazing cancer center with some of the nicest and most helpful nurses/doctors/staff Ive met in any hospital. Honestly I probably would have crashed hard when my mom was first diagnosed if not for the support from there.

What sucks is those support programs are going to end up being the first victim of cuts from the evil Conservative overlords in my province once provincial parliament resumes.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/sUfoq3e.mp4

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Furnaceface posted:

:(that’s so terrible. I’m so sorry dude.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

these absolute babies

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i am desperate to get two small sheep for the backyard, mum's reticient because they may eat our landlords' camellias, i'm trying to think how i could make it work

also five potential new quail have entered the incubator and all my native seeds are sprouting up their little heads

i'm going broody

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i'm poised above the precipice of actually, for the first time in my life, being in a geographical and financial position to become a keeper of flocks, LORD willing

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

fauna posted:

i'm poised above the precipice of actually, for the first time in my life, being in a geographical and financial position to become a keeper of flocks, LORD willing

:yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong