Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

kiwid posted:

I've noticed a lot of whining going on reddit where they want all guns on all maps. What is your guys opinion on this? Personally I don't think it would go over well because it would make it harder to find the guns you want.

All guns on all maps is better than the current distribution, where they stick a new gun on one of the four maps so you may just never see it. It doesn't actually promote variety because most people are going to be incentivized to just get an M4 or Beryl and stick with it, rather than swapping to a QBZ or G36 and trying to get used to them for one map, and finding their choice of Kar98/M24/SLR/SKS and getting used to that since they're on all the maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Hellsau posted:

All guns on all maps is better than the current distribution, where they stick a new gun on one of the four maps so you may just never see it. It doesn't actually promote variety because most people are going to be incentivized to just get an M4 or Beryl and stick with it, rather than swapping to a QBZ or G36 and trying to get used to them for one map, and finding their choice of Kar98/M24/SLR/SKS and getting used to that since they're on all the maps.

Agreed. Winchester with the scope is actually fun and good now, but it's only on the map with the longest distance engagements, so you're still better off using an SR/DMR you can put a 4X+ on, which sucks. I'd take a winchester over most other SR/DMRs on Sanhok, if it were available.

The only issue with the all-guns-all-maps philosophy is that if there are too many guns you won't find the one(s) you want more often, but I don't think PUBG is there yet.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Not getting what you want and learning to play with everything is what the game is all about.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Two days since Miramar update and my ping doesn't go down past 100 here in Texas me and my friends that play in squads and duos. What the hell is going on? I haven't seen any PUBG Support posts about it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Jiro posted:

Two days since Miramar update and my ping doesn't go down past 100 here in Texas me and my friends that play in squads and duos. What the hell is going on? I haven't seen any PUBG Support posts about it.

NA servers switched 60% or more to central servers, from the previous east coast only servers. Probably getting a bad route to them.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Hellsau posted:

NA servers switched 60% or more to central servers, from the previous east coast only servers. Probably getting a bad route to them.

I thought that was only for consoles

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Jiro posted:

I thought that was only for consoles

it was, then they implemented it for PC:

https://twitter.com/Hawkinz/status/1187817685385543680?s=20

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So is it something on my end to fix the route? Or do I just have to wait.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Jiro posted:

So is it something on my end to fix the route? Or do I just have to wait.

There is nothing you can do.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Hellsau posted:

There is nothing you can do.

:argh:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I used to play World of Tanks. There was company called Telia.net that acted as an intermediary ISP that handled traffic for that game for much of the east coast. The problem was that Telia.net is total poo poo, and for a huge number of players, some days the game was straight unplayable because there'd be so much packet loss that you would lose control for 10+ seconds. This lasted for years, and there was nothing anyone could do about it that wasn't the actual server owners.

The internet is hard.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
It's unplayable for me. Constant 150 pings.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lots of cheaters again this patch. I've got 3 ban confirmations already.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm the best.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Star Man posted:

I'm the best.

Your teammates protected the VIP.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

FunOne posted:

Reddit just sucks. They all want Sanhok level loot if they're not outright asking to land fully kitted. I think the scarcity aspect of it is part of the game, and you shouldn't be able to get your exact preferred weapon within 1 minute of landing every time. I like having variety between the maps and I think it'd be great to expand on the "gold mirado" type of ideas.

Now, I wish they'd make more of the guns viable. Adding the scope to the winny is a step in the right direction. Being able to toss things is going to make the machete/crowbar/etc more useful.

That and you should be able to requeue without going back to the lobby, especially on console. That extra loading time sucks.

I'd rather have comp loot because for me this game is not about looting, it is about strategy and killing people and trying to win.

Jiro posted:

Also the M4 isn't the end all be all anymore. Damage on it kinda really sucks, it fires like a laser when fully attached, but to me there are better options if you can just come across an AR Comp and pretty much any grip. The Beryl has been awesome for me as far as damage output and firing rate.

Given the choice of a fully kitted AR the only ones worth having are M4/Aug/Beryl/Groza/M249 (with the remark that you have to be very good at recoil for the 762 ones). I think other ARs are viable if you don't have the attachments, i.e. SCAR is so much easier to control so you will miss less even though it's slower vs an unkitted M4.

Re: all the people with ping problems, I'm pretty sure you can get a vpn to force different routing, i know I've seen people talk about this but i can't remember details but the option exists at least!

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 29, 2019

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Everytime I take the SCAR I regret it. You can really feel the TTK on this gun.

I try to take the M416 every game due to muscle memory and knowing exactly how much to pull down, etc. I'll take the Beryl if I can't find an M416 but I have to actively keep remembering to pull down hard and do 10 round bursts rather than spraying the entire mag like I can with an M416.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 29, 2019

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

kiwid posted:

Everytime I take the SCAR I regret it. You can really feel the TTK on this gun.

I try to take the M416 every game due to muscle memory and knowing exactly how much to pull down, etc. I'll take the Beryl if I can't find an M416 but I have to actively keep remembering to pull down hard and do 10 round bursts rather than spraying the entire mag like I can with an M416.

I agree, you have to make sure you're not being shot back at with that thing.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://forums.pubg.com/topic/393759-na-players-recent-high-ping/

This reeks of "We have no idea what the problem is"

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Nah, that's "we know the problem is the way some players are routed but we can't tell what networks are affected from our end" and so they're asking users to send in traceroutes. ISPs and co-lo providers often troubleshoot routing issues the same way.

It certainly wouldn't have hurt for them to put the test servers on the new setup for a week or two first though.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

blunt posted:

Nah, that's "we know the problem is the way some players are routed but we can't tell what networks are affected from our end" and so they're asking users to send in traceroutes. ISPs and co-lo providers often troubleshoot routing issues the same way.

It certainly wouldn't have hurt for them to put the test servers on the new setup for a week or two first though.

Ahhh I see. And yes I definitely agree, the problem with their test servers being is that even for those of us here in NA, aren't they located overseas? If they are it probably wouldn't occur to them that this would be an issue for anyone outside inside Asia or wherever they have their test servers located. Then again I've heard from various streamers, Shroud, Choco, Wacky, that even when things are on the test server barely any changes are made when it finally goes live. If true is sort of infuriating, why even have test servers in the first place?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Jiro posted:

https://forums.pubg.com/topic/393759-na-players-recent-high-ping/

This reeks of "We have no idea what the problem is"

That's the exact post Wargaming made when World of Tanks was having its shitshow. "We know you're having problems, give us this routing information so we can know where the problem is, and also we won't actually do anything about the problem." PUBG Corp probably has a contract with some company that has a contract with some other company whose routing hardware is loving up. PUBG Corp doesn't care, they're not going to break a contract/use a more expensive host because they already have your money.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I ran the program tonight when I streamed. The program didn't produce any information, and the text file I exported was completely blank.

Good job, PUBG

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hockles posted:

I ran the program tonight when I streamed. The program didn't produce any information, and the text file I exported was completely blank.

Good job, PUBG

Turns out the North American servers are all hosted on your personal machine, that's why you don't get any routing information - you're playing on the server!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The high ping has effectively killed the game for me. Good job on rolling this out without actually testing it and then pushing all the blame on the second largest ISP in the nation (spectrum).

They could have simply just, not changed servers until they made sure the routing issues were fixed. And as someone said, it's probably a contract, so it's not getting fixed.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My ping has gone down from 115 to 85. I don't know why, but I am not complaining.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I didn't play since the maintenance Tuesday, but prior to it my ping had been a consistent ~70-80 when it's "good" all the way to sticking around 110 sometimes when it's "bad but still playable" for the last 6 months...

today my ping is in the low 40's. I live in Los Angeles and have Spectrum.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

blunt posted:

It seems like a simple solution to the problem is to just bake in a traceroute to the new datacenters they are considering into the game, release that patch, get a bunch of traceroute data to analyze, and then decide whether or not to switch to that provider. Is there a reason something like that would not be feasible?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

fletcher posted:

It seems like a simple solution to the problem is to just bake in a traceroute to the new datacenters they are considering into the game, release that patch, get a bunch of traceroute data to analyze, and then decide whether or not to switch to that provider. Is there a reason something like that would not be feasible?

Because that would also mean baking in that same patch into the Tencent/Chinese approved version, and I doubt they want a Korean company to know the routes of where their traffic goes. Plus it's the same old poo poo of this company having poo poo done on the fly all the time.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Update: I downloaded a different (newer) version of the program, and it did work and populated information. However, for all the games I played tonight, other than the initial second where the plane loads, I did not go above 70-80 ping. Which is normal to Central-ish servers.

So, maybe they stealth fixed it and didn't want to say anything in case it broke again?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Hockles posted:

Update: I downloaded a different (newer) version of the program, and it did work and populated information. However, for all the games I played tonight, other than the initial second where the plane loads, I did not go above 70-80 ping. Which is normal to Central-ish servers.

So, maybe they stealth fixed it and didn't want to say anything in case it broke again?

I haven't tried since Tuesday, but I will this weekend at some point. Curious... where are you located and what's your ISP? What pings were you getting before? The move to Texas servers is going to up my ping, which is totally fine, but I should get 60-70 stable to any Texas servers. I used to get 30-50 to the previous server locations (which I believe was Ohio?) Unfortunately now, I have been getting 120-150 constantly, with large spikes to well over 200. Occasionally it will drop to the 70's but it only stays there for ~10-15 seconds. (I'm milwaukee/chicago area with spectrum).

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I'm in OH, and have Spectrum. The servers have been rumored to be in either OH or VA, but PUBG has never clarified as far as I know.

Before the change: 20-40
After the change: 140-170
After the potential fix: 50-70 (normal for me to TX)

However, other people that have had Spectrum (NYC for sure, dunno other locations) have also said that their ping is back to normal to what it should be to a central location since the potential fix. So: either PUBG fixed it with the information people sent to them over the day or so they made the post. Or, Spectrum did a thing unrelated to PUBG and it worked itself out.

Try this weekend and see if you are fixed as well.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I recently started developing microstutters and like half a second freezes where my fps-counter drops to 1-2fps for basically a blink of an eye.

6700k, 2080S, 32gb at 3200mhz, with game running from SSD. Obviously system can handle plenty. The microstutters arrived a couple patches ago, but I have not changed anything. Does anyone have any pointers?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Hockles posted:

I'm in OH, and have Spectrum. The servers have been rumored to be in either OH or VA, but PUBG has never clarified as far as I know.

Before the change: 20-40
After the change: 140-170
After the potential fix: 50-70 (normal for me to TX)

However, other people that have had Spectrum (NYC for sure, dunno other locations) have also said that their ping is back to normal to what it should be to a central location since the potential fix. So: either PUBG fixed it with the information people sent to them over the day or so they made the post. Or, Spectrum did a thing unrelated to PUBG and it worked itself out.

Try this weekend and see if you are fixed as well.

Back down to my normal 30-50 ping this morning. Which makes no sense, unless I got lucky and was just routed to the old servers every match. Maybe there was a stealth fix... Either way, I'm happy for now.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Boy howdy after two evenings of playing squads with randoms I’m reminded why I stopped doing that.

They need an elective garbage tier for people who don’t take video games so seriously and don’t really care about the quality of play of their squad mates.

“You suck!”

“Oh yeah, well the Jerk Store called…”

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 4, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

something funny happened in the PGC tournament tonight:

https://clips.twitch.tv/ZanyAbstruseNostrilDogFace

that's gotta be a huge bummer when you're playing for a million dollars

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Esports ready.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Hellsau posted:

something funny happened in the PGC tournament tonight:

https://clips.twitch.tv/ZanyAbstruseNostrilDogFace

that's gotta be a huge bummer when you're playing for a million dollars

That's what's supposed to happen when you finish the stunt course. :v: Also it's bullshit that they'll play updated Miramar but not updated Erangel.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Vahakyla posted:

I recently started developing microstutters and like half a second freezes where my fps-counter drops to 1-2fps for basically a blink of an eye.

6700k, 2080S, 32gb at 3200mhz, with game running from SSD. Obviously system can handle plenty. The microstutters arrived a couple patches ago, but I have not changed anything. Does anyone have any pointers?

Same thing for me and a few others I play with. I have a 7700k and 1080ti. Quite annoying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Did pubg just come out in India or something? I think I've played about two dozen games in a row on the north america servers without a single north american on my team. Aside from the odd European, it's been 98% east Indians.