Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

How do you avoid sitting in Evrat's lovely chair? And does anything explain why there's a man who's head is made of light?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Avalerion posted:

How do you avoid sitting in Evrat's lovely chair? And does anything explain why there's a man who's head is made of light?

For the first one, I think you have to pass first a Volition or Authority check, then a Composure check, and for the second: He explains it, if the net worth difference between two individuals is unbalanced by 99.75% or something in one's favor, laws of physics start bending around the high net worth individual :v:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Begemot posted:

Harry has a reputation of being an incredibly good detective. Always asking tons of questions and not giving up until he gets answers, thus the Human Can Opener. Which is a great way of fictionally justifying the standard RPG dialog tree, of course players are gonna keep asking questions, that's what you DO in these games.

So Ruby is terrified that you're gonna come in and just crack this case wide open. See through the fake hanging, get one or more of the Hardie Boys to talk, etc. Basically, all her cover-up work was not only futile, but makes her look MORE guilty. She wanted to just wait for the murder case to blow over, but with you on the case? There's no way, she had to be ready for a confrontation.

And she's totally correct, but she sees the whole thing as inherently antagonistic. You are hunting her, trying to bring HER down, a game of cat and mouse. But she's not your TARGET, she's just another link in the chain on the way to figuring out the truth.

I was glad I failed the check to destroy her super radio death beam, despite having like an 80% chance. She got away, after giving the info I needed, which seemed like the best outcome.

You're forgetting that she thinks that Harry works for La Puta Madre, the mob boss that she worked for before in drug dealings, and that when Harry finds her he's literally going to put a bullet in her face

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Unpopular take: this game is kind of a slog. It was crime to release it without modding tools or console commands. Just moving around the map is a drag: slow movement even with constant annoying double-clicks, no interactable map you can use to move like in the old IE games, etc.

The writing is a little purple, but the world is engaging enough that I'll dutifully slog on to see what happens. But it's incredible that I'm playing a game with more quality-of-life issues than PS:T, which came out 20 years ago.

I solved the speed issue by using cheat engines speed hack option and setting it to 1.5-2.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Cnidaria posted:

Thoughts definitely unlock dialogue since there are a bunch I saw for hobocop. They can also provide modifiers to skill checks.

This is my favourite thing about the game and why multiple playthroughs are in order. I really liked internalizing One More Door and when getting shot in the military tribunal my limbic system told me I should just let go of it all and accept death, because it's just one more door

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Beat the game for the first time and I absolutely loved it. I just want to keep diving into the world and fully explore more of it and its inhabitants. As for the ending, I've seen some people refer to it as bittersweet and I'm curious how different things can end up. I seem to have done a good job wrapping everything up. The crime was solved completely. I found the murder weapon, the motive, the suspect, all the armor pieces, the phasmid (and I got a photo of it), got accepted back into the RCM, Kim seems like he's going to join precinct 41, solved a bunch of side mysteries, and Harry at least seemed to come to an understanding that his ex is gone and is never coming back and is on the right track for moving on.

I went with a psychic communist build but most of my exp points went into a wide spread of skills really with only a few thoughts internalized but thats more because I just didn't seem to get a lot of thoughts pop up.

Never found out what to do with the blue medicinal liquid, though. The horrible necktie stopped talking to me after I found it, but that may be because I switched neckwear?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The ex thing seems to be another thing I missed huh. I think I'll want to replay this at some point. :haw:

Also even though I've been pretty much neutral through the whole game Kim ended up describing me as a moralist, maybe because of the few times I was anti drugs?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Also even though I've been pretty much neutral through the whole game Kim ended up describing me as a moralist, maybe because of the few times I was anti drugs?

being neutral is being moralist

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Avalerion posted:

I've been pretty much neutral through the whole game Kim ended up describing me as a moralist
You were a moralist.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Not taking a political stance is a political stance all on its own.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Avalerion posted:

Moralist is the centrist ideology.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like moralist because it's a perfect send up of thoughtless centrism. "I'm for good things and against bad things. Also the cruiser in the harbor with its guns trained on you is all for the best, please don't do anything bad. "

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Upmarket Mango posted:

Never found out what to do with the blue medicinal liquid, though. The horrible necktie stopped talking to me after I found it, but that may be because I switched neckwear?

You don't deserve to discover its true use

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

I like moralist because it's a perfect send up of thoughtless centrism. "I'm for good things and against bad things. Also the cruiser in the harbor with its guns trained on you is all for the best, please don't do anything bad. "

The Unionists are No Angels

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008

Begemot posted:

Harry has a reputation of being an incredibly good detective. Always asking tons of questions and not giving up until he gets answers, thus the Human Can Opener. Which is a great way of fictionally justifying the standard RPG dialog tree, of course players are gonna keep asking questions, that's what you DO in these games.

So Ruby is terrified that you're gonna come in and just crack this case wide open. See through the fake hanging, get one or more of the Hardie Boys to talk, etc. Basically, all her cover-up work was not only futile, but makes her look MORE guilty. She wanted to just wait for the murder case to blow over, but with you on the case? There's no way, she had to be ready for a confrontation.

And she's totally correct, but she sees the whole thing as inherently antagonistic. You are hunting her, trying to bring HER down, a game of cat and mouse. But she's not your TARGET, she's just another link in the chain on the way to figuring out the truth.

I was glad I failed the check to destroy her super radio death beam, despite having like an 80% chance. She got away, after giving the info I needed, which seemed like the best outcome.

There was an almost throw away bit of dialogue in (late game spoilerish) where your ex cites this as one of the reasons she left you, that you always go through your lists of questions, and that its a special form of psychosis. I always appreciate the fourth wall break.

Never passed the check with the phasmid and my skill is so low that I'm too lazy to save-scum it 33 times. What happens in that scene?

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008
gently caress, double post.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Arg

I accidentally rejected becoming a "sorry cop" and now I'm very sorry about it. I'd like to go back to an earlier save where I still had the potential to regret. What is the exact threshold of # of copotype thoughts where you get the option to pick a copotype? Three or four?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I'm pretty sure it's at four that you get offered the copotype.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

not joseph stalin posted:

Never passed the check with the phasmid and my skill is so low that I'm too lazy to save-scum it 33 times. What happens in that scene?

Everything

Started typing it out but I can't really do it justice. Look for a video?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 3, 2019

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Yeah that particular scene is probably the most moving one in the game, or at least on par with the dream not too far before it

I just started Outer Worlds and fuuuck DE has ruined my chance to enjoy it without lowering my expectations :smith:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I'd be fine with a slightly faster walk/run speed, but if the game had fast travel i would have missed so many orbs and even conversations that appeared as I raised things like perception and shivers. I honestly didn't mind the endless backtracking because there was always something new waiting for me. It also made it feel less gamey. instead of "welp I've cleared that zone" I was constantly learning new things, following up on new leads, and by the end my perspective on certain areas and people had shifted completely. it was also a good reminder to retry skill checks that I'd failed previously

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

The short version is that Harry has an intense moment of self-reflection.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The short version is that you meet the kindest creature in the world.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

not a bot posted:

I don't think it had anything to do with the title change. The original title refers to Harry's thoughts and the different skills talking with each other and it was changed since to a more market friendly one

Furies are deities of revenge born out of spilt blood. They punish oath breaking, infidelity, anger and murder by inciting war, madness and sickness.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Reflections, by R.S. Thomas posted:

The furies are at home
in the mirror; it is their address.
Even the clearest water,
if deep enough can drown.

Never think to surprise them.
Your face approaching ever
so friendly is the white flag
they ignore. There is no truce

with the furies. A mirror’s temperature
is always at zero. It is ice
in the veins. Its camera
is an X—ray. It is a chalice

held out to you in
silent communion, where gaspingly
you partake of a shifting
identity never your own.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah the final confrontation directly references that poem. The obvious answer is that the furies are the skills but it doesn't fit - the skills are almost never antagonistic, if anything they are overprotective.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Reptile Brain and Lymbic System are practically trying to kill you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well that was a climax :stare:

I saw the Phasmid. And got a photo of it :stonklol:. Is there an opportunity to waste/use the second ampoule on the camera elsewhere beforehand?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

You could avoid bringing Kim to this location.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xander77 posted:

You could avoid bringing Kim to this location.

But then Who would drive the motorboat while I blast SadFM??

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

But then Who would drive the motorboat while I blast SadFM??
Big spoiler if you want to play again: If Kim gets injured at the tribunal there's a chance Cuno becomes your partner for the last day.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

There was an almost throw away bit of dialogue in (late game spoilerish) where your ex cites this as one of the reasons she left you, that you always go through your lists of questions, and that its a special form of psychosis. I always appreciate the fourth wall break.

Jesus I cant imagine missing that lol. I was pretty stoic through the nap sequence a lot of people talk about but a certain line made me cry like a bitch during that part and it was the true emotional climax of the game for me

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

WrightOfWay posted:

The short version is that you meet the kindest creature in the world.

Yeah thats what made me cry lol

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Best line: "No thanks, I've got enough copotypes already."

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Fangz posted:

Furies are deities of revenge born out of spilt blood. They punish oath breaking, infidelity, anger and murder by inciting war, madness and sickness.

Yes, though they were also thought of as personifications of self-curses, as in past deeds catching up to you and in the context of this game they were a reference to Harry's internal struggle

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

snoremac posted:

Big spoiler if you want to play again: If Kim gets injured at the tribunal there's a chance Cuno becomes your partner for the last day.

Can't think of a worse punishment for such a blatant failure, nice.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Avalerion posted:

Can't think of a worse punishment for such a blatant failure, nice.
That's not a punishment

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

oh drat what a lifesaver

Kim comes back to martinaise much earlier to revive you if he's been sent away to pack the body into custody if you use your ledger to own yourself

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

oh drat what a lifesaver

Kim comes back to martinaise much earlier to revive you if he's been sent away to pack the body into custody if you use your ledger to own yourself

oh thats cool

i know it literally will not let you into the building where you get ambushed if kim isnt around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is there a way to not be taken back? I tried so hard to be the worst loving cop, but just basic police work denied me the "Kim hates you" achievement and apparently prevented me from losing my job, not matter how hard I try?

Ditto for recruiting Cuno and siding against the mercs during the tribunal, both unavoidable?