Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I sure as gently caress hope it fixes the battery issue with AOD.

I just finished updating mine with no issues. Its weird that it allows you to update from the watch but the phone still looks like it was being used to update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I had no idea you could do updates directly from the watch until I clicked that macrumors link and read the comments. Neat.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I had no idea you could do updates directly from the watch until I clicked that macrumors link and read the comments. Neat.

ty

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
How’s battery on the S2 with the new update?

It’s been absolutely utterly garbage for me since the phone updated to 13.1 so hopefully a new watch os helps.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I sure as gently caress hope it fixes the battery issue with AOD.

I’ve seen your posts in the thread but didn’t realize you still haven’t gotten it resolved. I haven’t had any battery issues with my S5 since coming over from an S0 profile. I’m still at over 56% with the info graph face and it’s end of day, hope yours gets fixed

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hed posted:

I’ve seen your posts in the thread but didn’t realize you still haven’t gotten it resolved. I haven’t had any battery issues with my S5 since coming over from an S0 profile. I’m still at over 56% with the info graph face and it’s end of day, hope yours gets fixed

6.0.1 definitely helped, but I’m still falling way short of my 2-year old S3 with AOD on. If I turn it off, I get a lot more battery life. Going to give it a few days and see if it’s better on 6.1.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

6.0.1 definitely helped, but I’m still falling way short of my 2-year old S3 with AOD on. If I turn it off, I get a lot more battery life. Going to give it a few days and see if it’s better on 6.1.

Well I wear my watch overnight and preciously I was losing 15-20% overnight and last night I lost about 6%.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I dunno, 6.1 doesn’t seem to be having a substantial impact for me. It is doing better with the brightness at two, but nothing mind blowing. But it’s the first day.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah this latest update doesn’t seem to be improving anything on the battery side of things. From a full charge and wearing overnight I lost about the same (~15%) and now at lunch time I’m at around 60% which is what I’ve been rolling with since I got it.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah this latest update doesn’t seem to be improving anything on the battery side of things. From a full charge and wearing overnight I lost about the same (~15%) and now at lunch time I’m at around 60% which is what I’ve been rolling with since I got it.
So last night I lost 20% where the previous night I lost 6%. No clue why its different.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

god this blows posted:

So last night I lost 20% where the previous night I lost 6%. No clue why its different.

Try putting it in theater mode overnight, maybe you were flailing around a bunch on the 20% night.

I notice fewer inadvertent screen activations do a lot to preserve the battery.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah no change for me on 6.1 with my 5. Bummer.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I use to have tons of problems with my Apple Watch 3 counting my hourly stands. I would be literally jumping around and sometimes it still wouldn't work. My theory was, it was related to me being sleeved (tattoos) and the watch was having issues recognizing my heartbeat. That said since I upgraded to the 5, I hit my stand goal everyday without even trying. I am not sure if it has a better heart rate detector or if my series 3 was defective. Either way it is nice to have it work finally.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Stand is just your watch detecting it's in a "arm down at your side" orientation. Walking/Running/normal swinging arm is OK but if you are standing with your watch arm up in the air or holding something up (like a phone or drink) it won't think you are standing.

You can also cheat and get stand credit by keeping your arm straight down while you sit. Not that I've done that in overly long work meetings. :ninja:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Correct, but the watch first has to determine you have the watch on. From what I understand it is the heart rate light sensor that tells the watch it is being worn or not. Tattoos can block light from the sensor and the reason it doesn't work. So my series 3 would think I wasn't wearing my watch and even when I tried the 'arm down at your side' trick it wouldn't work sometimes. I am sort of lucky that the tattoo the watch covers has a mix of bare skin mixed in. That is the only reason it would ever work. Still I would be on runs and I would have to move my watch around to get the heart rate to work. It seems like since the series 3 they improved that light sensor, and instead of it working 60% of the time, it now works 98% of the time correctly.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

Try putting it in theater mode overnight, maybe you were flailing around a bunch on the 20% night.

I notice fewer inadvertent screen activations do a lot to preserve the battery.

I have raise to wake turned off since my series 1, that is why I'm really confused.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Zero One posted:

You can also cheat and get stand credit by keeping your arm straight down while you sit. Not that I've done that in overly long work meetings. :ninja:

Also the correct move for long flights/car trips.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I cheat my steps by tossing my watch in the dryer and pressing start. Who's got the time to exercise!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So the AOD just...uses a decent amount of power, I guess? I can still sleep track and last nearly to the end of the day, so I guess it’s still good enough.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Since my S2 updated to WatchOS6 this week it's hyper aggressive about taking over my airpods from my phone and playing music on my watch. How can I adjust this behavior?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

So the AOD just...uses a decent amount of power, I guess? I can still sleep track and last nearly to the end of the day, so I guess it’s still good enough.

I just have a Series 3 so I don’t have AOD but this is my impression. I think you’re not supposed to expect multi-day battery life any more with AOD, but it should work if you charge it every night or so. I would imagine this is the normal use case and considered a fair trade-off for most people?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm actually impressed with the battery life on my S3, and I even just scooped up AutoSleep for the sleep tracking a week ago. I thought I'd really envy the AOD but really for $200 the S3 is plenty good.

I'm loving the ease of band removal. Now I keep the sport band on at home because it's super comfortable, but if I'm going out to like a party or something I'll jazz it up with my fancy Monowear leather band.

Why I hesitated so long to get an AW when I've always loved smartwatches is beyond me.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Violator posted:

I just have a Series 3 so I don’t have AOD but this is my impression. I think you’re not supposed to expect multi-day battery life any more with AOD, but it should work if you charge it every night or so. I would imagine this is the normal use case and considered a fair trade-off for most people?
Technically they've rated every model for 18 hour "all day" battery life, so yeah the expectation is supposed to be to charge nightly...but they've been beating that handily since at least the S3, so people have been using them for sleep tracking or stretch it to multiple days/as long as they can if necessary.

I'm curious on how much variation in life the watch faces cause. They all get dimmed or elements removed and whatnot, but there's still a lot of variation in the dimmed states.

Protocol7 posted:

I'm loving the ease of band removal. Now I keep the sport band on at home because it's super comfortable, but if I'm going out to like a party or something I'll jazz it up with my fancy Monowear leather band.
Hey band chat :toot:. I got a knockoff leather loop a few days ago, I like it. Slightly fiddly to put on cause it's two pieces with nothing to stop the one end from slipping completely through the other loop, but no complaints once it's on. More adjustable than any of the other non loop bands and looks nicer than the sport loop. Magnets hold on well too, feels solid like the other traditionally fastened bands rather than the Milanese which loosens slightly throughout the day (probably cause it's magnets throughout the strap holding on rather than just the end piece).

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I can't remember if I read it here or on Reddit, but there were patent indications that Apple is working on a self-adjusting wristband for the watch.

I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat, regardless of cost. I went back to the Nike sport band because my Milanese band would loosen up slowly over the course of the day. It was maddening.

Yes, I'm a crazy person with OCD.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pants Donkey posted:

I’m coming from an S0 but I have 69% (Nice!) after a full day’s wear with a large number of alerts (for me) coming in.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Christ, the latest WatchOS update has halved my battery time. Watch was dead by 5pm yesterday, put it on at 6:30 am. Today, I've had it on about an hour and it's down to 86% and it went down 1% while I was typing this post! What the gently caress.

Edit: 3.5 hours of desk job later it’s at 35%.

Somethings messed up.

CaptainCrunch fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 1, 2019

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

CaptainCrunch posted:

Christ, the latest WatchOS update has halved my battery time. Watch was dead by 5pm yesterday, put it on at 6:30 am. Today, I've had it on about an hour and it's down to 86% and it went down 1% while I was typing this post! What the gently caress.

Somethings messed up.

I had the exact opposite - something about iOS 13 killed my S2 dead in no time flat but the latest Watch OS seems to have fixed things.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

dissss posted:

I had the exact opposite - something about iOS 13 killed my S2 dead in no time flat but the latest Watch OS seems to have fixed things.

I literally have no idea what to do.
Unpair? Make a Genius Bar appointment? It’s unusable in the current state.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

CaptainCrunch posted:

I literally have no idea what to do.
Unpair? Make a Genius Bar appointment? It’s unusable in the current state.

Mine got better (not back to normal but better) after I backed up and restored the phone with iTunes. I'd already tried resetting the watch and setting it up as new but that didn't make a lick of difference.

Otherwise I guess wait for the next update

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Here’s a new one, my watch 5 went into the upgrade animation while it was on my wrist. And now seems to be stuck in a loop. Awesome.

Edit: apparently it’s not the upgrade animation, it’s the initial sync animation, according to the Watch app.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 2, 2019

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

CaptainCrunch posted:

Somethings messed up.

This is usually just an app acting up, reboot the watch and see if it normalizes. If not, unpair then re-pair and that takes care of most issues.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

GoatSeeGuy posted:

This is usually just an app acting up, reboot the watch and see if it normalizes. If not, unpair then re-pair and that takes care of most issues.

Ok thank you. Will try that tonight.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
A few days after upgrading my S2 to WatchOS 6 and the battery seems to be back to normal. There were a couple of days where the usage was abnormally high, but it's totally settled down now. I guess the advice to let your watch/phone figure itself out for a while after an upgrade is accurate.

Which is good, because it means the old thing can soldier on for another year. Love the idea of upgrading phone with each new model, have no interest in doing so for the watch.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Took my watch off the charger before bed. Woke up in the middle of night. Watch had lost 60% charge in five hours :psyduck:

Is this just a weird thing with daylight saving time?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Pants Donkey posted:

Took my watch off the charger before bed.

Why? Surely the best time to charge it is when you sleep?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

XBenedict posted:

Why? Surely the best time to charge it is when you sleep?

Unless you are sleep tracking.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or you want to test battery drain while the watch is totally idle.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pants Donkey posted:

Took my watch off the charger before bed. Woke up in the middle of night. Watch had lost 60% charge in five hours :psyduck:

Jokes on you, it was actually 4 hours due to DST.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

withak posted:

Jokes on you, it was actually 4 hours due to DST.

Other way around. The transition from Daylight Savings to Standard gives you an extra hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDE Perry
Dec 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pants Donkey posted:

Yeah, there was a DST bug with AOD. The watch face crashed continuously for the duration of the extra hour.