Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Indecisive posted:

When was splitpaw revamped anyway? Pre kunark? I only ever saw the higher level version

December 8th, 1999. Kunark release was in April, 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I think I went to old paw once or twice on live, but I mostly hung around Freeport or Faydwer more than Qeynos so I barely spend time in new paw much less back then when I didn't know the game very well

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
It's just such a claustrophobic depressing dungeon. At least blackburrow has that bright outdoor area

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ginette Reno posted:

I was originally thinking of playing but I'm not sure I have the patience to try, especially after being into WoW Classic lately.

I'm pretty sure it would take me more time to hit level 30 in EQ Classic than it would to hit 60 in WoW lol.

I played EQ on and off for about three years and just got to 30. I played WoW for a few months and hit cap.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
They're gonna make a new server to split off some of the current Green population.

You'll get a one-time chance to switch over (2 week period).

Both servers will merge at some point in the future.

Teal server details.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Relayer posted:

It's just such a claustrophobic depressing dungeon. At least blackburrow has that bright outdoor area

Blackburrow was also my favorite because it was a comic strip if you watched the bottom of the hole.

You see a druid running on the bottom across the bridge from the left.

He turns around to check if he had his pulls and immediately casts Gate.

4 gnolls come from the left and turn him into mince meat.

Funny part is they continue running across the bridge to the right.

30 seconds later, the 20+ gnoll train appears running towards Qeynos Hills.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

moolchaba posted:

They're gonna make a new server to split off some of the current Green population.

You'll get a one-time chance to switch over (2 week period).

Both servers will merge at some point in the future.

Teal server details.

It's so classic this time around they're even doing server splits!

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

It's so classic this time around they're even doing server splits!

Did they do server splits within the first year of release? I can't remember. I thought they just came out with brand new servers and people had to start over, no transfers.

Personally I don't really care for the split. It's classic to have a server population over 2K. But there has been a significant drop in the population and that's the driving force to split off another server.

I think the majority of those people who have left got enough nostalgia before they hit level five and then went on to other things. The numbers are going to go down regardless of what they do.

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 2, 2019

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Are blue and red pretty low pop since green started?

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yes, very much so.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

moolchaba posted:

Did they do server splits within the first year of release? I can't remember. I thought they just came out with brand new servers and people had to start over, no transfers.

Personally I don't really care for the split. It's classic to have a server population over 2K. But there has been a significant drop in the population and that's the driving force to split off another server.

I think the majority of those people who have left got enough nostalgia before they hit level five and then went on to other things. The numbers are going to go down regardless of what they do.

The first year they solved pop issues largely by bringing up new servers, but Fenin Ro, which was always the biggest pop server early on, got split right at the beginning of March 2000 to a completely new server, Druzzil Ro. Prior to that, registration of new characters on there (and some other high pop servers) had been locked, which prevented people from joining their friends on the higher pop servers (or getting alt accounts to box). They split a number of other servers in 2000 and 2001 and eventually started doing multi-server splits for slightly less populous old servers because some players wanted to get away from the by-then saturated and newly toxic raid scene, i.e., The Rathe and E'ci both split onto Zebuxoruk.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
I raided on The Rathe circa 2000 and onwards and can confirm that the end game guilds were mindbogglingly toxic.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I remember playing on Bertoxxilous because my friend said he picked that server since it would be easy to remember. Weird to think of playing online with friends in the infancy of MMOs.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I basically picked a server based on where my friends who were defecting from Ultima Online were going. We all converged on Povar.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I accidentally started on a PvP server either because it was at the top of the list or I liked that particular god name I can't recall which. Rolled on a different server after I found out some classmates played.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Meatgrinder posted:

I raided on The Rathe circa 2000 and onwards and can confirm that the end game guilds were mindbogglingly toxic.

I was an endgame content raider on Rathe, can confirm. Our endgame scene was a special kind of awful. And it followed to Zebuxoruk when they split, too — I think the shittiest of people from both Rathe and E'ci went to Zeb.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The only thing I remember about being in a guild in EQ was joining "Soldiers of Light" because I was in their branch in The Realm. At some point there was a big rift and people in guild chat were talking about lawsuits and at some point someone asked 13 year old me if I'd testify on their behalf.

I don't remember what it was about. I think it was about some splinter group using the highly original name in another game.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Sankis posted:

The only thing I remember about being in a guild in EQ was joining "Soldiers of Light" because I was in their branch in The Realm. At some point there was a big rift and people in guild chat were talking about lawsuits and at some point someone asked 13 year old me if I'd testify on their behalf.

I don't remember what it was about. I think it was about some splinter group using the highly original name in another game.

Holy moly the realm online???

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Yuuup. It was my first mmo. I played during the tail end of its ownership by Sierra through the early Codemasters ownership. I remember it being a big deal that Codemasters brought back some original developer (Steven?)

No mmo has replicated the thrill of getting something good at someones house 'drop' or the terror of someone sneaking into your house

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
EQ was my first mmo at age 13 or so and the character I got furthest with (level 22 I think?) was a Wood Elf Ranger and used a two handed sword because I didn't know any better. Not sure I could have chosen a more gimp character/weapon choice if I tried. The characters I played before that:

1) Dwarf Rogue. I died in Butcherblock to a Giant Scarab and couldn't find my corpse

2) High Elf Paladin. I somehow got some guy to give me a set of Banded Armor and I ended up wandering into the Minotaur cave in Steamfont and dying to Meldrath. Naturally I died in a spot where I couldn't find my corpse either and I'm pretty sure that armor rotted.

Then I ended up with the Wood Elf Ranger that I got into the 20's with before quitting the game. I remember I got that character kitted out in Blackened Iron Armor which I thought looked really cool and my weapon was a Bone Bladed Claymore. Quite sure that weapon and that armor sucks but what did I know back then.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
everquest is a fun game to play and playing untwinked is an interesting challenge. Anyone could of joined Auld Lang Syne on blue, followed their rules of not using the EC tunnel, no MQ, closed in-guild economy. But everyone wants a DE mask so they had to make a green server. Then the people who couldn't figure out that you needed to group in an MMO went to the teal server.

If Rogean and the server staff would run regular GM events and give out DE maks then a green and teal server would not be needed

I really hope green never gets merged into blue not for the legacy items but for the player base

I would guess 50% of people on green never played classic and a good portion never played EQ1 in the first place. They heard their wow classic guilds were breaking up and going to this p99 green thing so they just came over.

I guess that does give a classic experience. Enchanters that don't charm. Mage bots that dont have their 24 pets by the time their character is level 29. Everyone thinking that rubi bp is BIS.

Then alot of things not classic. People shun paladins, rangers, and shadow knights from groups because of the xp penalty. Guilds locking non-guildies out of camps. The p99 wiki vs the old alakazam and other resources, the p99 wiki just lets people not have to interact with the environment and skip to turn ins and key words phrase.

the necro spell Vampiric Curse is in the game (not classic) but necro's dont have the level 16 basic charm spell (very classic)

everquest is fun, green is bad.

If you make a character on blue, people will give you free stuff and buff you
if you make a character on red swish will come power level you

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

No Luck Needed posted:

everquest is a fun game to play and playing untwinked is an interesting challenge. Anyone could of joined Auld Lang Syne on blue, followed their rules of not using the EC tunnel, no MQ, closed in-guild economy. But everyone wants a DE mask so they had to make a green server. Then the people who couldn't figure out that you needed to group in an MMO went to the teal server.

If Rogean and the server staff would run regular GM events and give out DE maks then a green and teal server would not be needed

I really hope green never gets merged into blue not for the legacy items but for the player base

I would guess 50% of people on green never played classic and a good portion never played EQ1 in the first place. They heard their wow classic guilds were breaking up and going to this p99 green thing so they just came over.

I guess that does give a classic experience. Enchanters that don't charm. Mage bots that dont have their 24 pets by the time their character is level 29. Everyone thinking that rubi bp is BIS.

Then alot of things not classic. People shun paladins, rangers, and shadow knights from groups because of the xp penalty. Guilds locking non-guildies out of camps. The p99 wiki vs the old alakazam and other resources, the p99 wiki just lets people not have to interact with the environment and skip to turn ins and key words phrase.

the necro spell Vampiric Curse is in the game (not classic) but necro's dont have the level 16 basic charm spell (very classic)

Why would people not want hybrids in group? because of their exp penalty? Does each person get equal exp after normalizing for negative modifiers? What am I not getting herr.

Also, it's fun but the 20 years people have had to collect information is the thing that makes it unclassic.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
I believe the exp penalty is shared with the group at this point in classic.

Anyways, I'm having a blast on Green with the fellow Dial a Daniels.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

No Luck Needed posted:

source your quotes

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm playing a bard on green and it's fun, I accidentally jumped off the dock when the boat came and barely swam back to shore and made back on in time

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

It's not classic unless you're camping sirens and get back onto a passing ship by clipping into it from below.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I'm having a pretty good time on the green server. I'm only to level 12 on my shadow night, mainly because I'm just soloing.

While they're definitely things that are not classic with a server like this, there are enough nostalgic elements that satisfy my gaming experience.

I thought for sure I wasn't going to mess around and play on the new server, that it was going to be a shitfest. It's been pretty pleasant overall with my little adventure.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
any classic eq is fun I am just saying that the p99 server staff wouldnt need a green/teal server if they did GM events more then once every 2-3 years

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
"true" classic is basically impossible to implement anyway because there is a surprising amount of missing info

all the complaints about p99 not being classic enough never mention being able to alt-tab or your spell book not having to cover the entire screen to meditate i wonder why

Goast fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 7, 2019

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Goast posted:

"true" classic is basically impossible to implement anyway because there is a surprising amount of missing info

all the complaints about p99 not being classic enough never mention being able to alt-tab or your spell book not having to cover the entire screen to meditate i wonder why

I’ve seen all of those specifically mentioned many times.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

No Luck Needed posted:

any classic eq is fun I am just saying that the p99 server staff wouldnt need a green/teal server if they did GM events more then once every 2-3 years

This seems to misunderstand the point of the green server? It wasn't them going "drat we need to create a new server to drive population up!"

Also... teal server??? wat?

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Loan Dusty Road posted:

I’ve seen all of those specifically mentioned many times.

i didnt think any of those people were legitimately complaining about those features missing

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Goast posted:

i didnt think any of those people were legitimately complaining about those features missing

I mean we are talking about the spirt of classic EQ right? People also don’t bitch about all the classic stuff that actually sucks from classic.

Personally I think removing alt tab would be loving amazing.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 7, 2019

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Classic UI / book meditation screen was mentioned, but it was shouted down by the community. Between that, reduced lowbie quest experience, increased lowbie mob spawns, and the ability to box green/teal I'm pretty disappointed with the release.

I'd rather they either stick to classic period builds, or just go for classic with well-thought QOL improvements. No idea why they rushed green with inconsistent and half-assed changes.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

No Luck Needed posted:

It's more about starting out fresh and everyone being on even footing (except pure casters are overpowered). You can't emulate that on the blue server with a player base that's had since 2009 to level up and accrue gear.

You can still play on blue (or red hahahahahahahahaha) while we all get our jollies. Our green jollies.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

moolchaba posted:

It's more about starting out fresh and everyone being on even footing (except pure casters are overpowered). You can't emulate that on the blue server with a player base that's had since 2009 to level up and accrue gear.

You can still play on blue (or red hahahahahahahahaha) while we all get our jollies. Our green jollies.

great point

maybe once the scrubs get over 35 i will find more people to group with, i went to hard to 35 and have nothing but bad pug groups to play with on a wednesday night

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wait, the poster who is ranting about how green isn't needed is also already 35 on green and wishes they had more people to group with on green

This is a weird gimmick account

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I want fuckin /gems man. I know it came later, but when it fits the timeline it better be added! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

Wait, the poster who is ranting about how green isn't needed is also already 35 on green and wishes they had more people to group with on green

This is a weird gimmick account

everquest attracts those with brain damage or it just causes it