Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Speaking of that recipe, does 1 tb of brandy affect the texture of pumpkin pie? Or any other custard-style pie for that matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hmm, I've been squeezing... trying to find the exact right level of give. I'll start sniffing butts instead.

try squashing them

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
I wonder if Daniel Gritzer is a goon. Timely article after the discussion in this thread about nonstick.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/10/stop-cooking-everything-on-nonstick.html

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hmm, I've been squeezing... trying to find the exact right level of give. I'll start sniffing butts instead.

In my experience by the time they're squeezable at a noticeable level they're super close to being over ripe already.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

poverty goat posted:

I ended up with a bunch of fennel that was bought accidentally at work ("funny looking leeks at the Depot today" he said). I've made two soups and roasted some with root vegetables under a bird. I have one large bulb left. What should I do with it?

Halibut Provenal.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Jewel Repetition posted:

Speaking of that recipe, does 1 tb of brandy affect the texture of pumpkin pie? Or any other custard-style pie for that matter?

Shouldn't.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
So I just got back from Budapest and brought back some black truffle paste packed in oil. Im definitely going to be making some fresh black truffle pasta, but does anyone have suggestions for sauce to go with the pasta, or other cool uses for the truffle paste?

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Does melting and then re-cooling chocolate (tempering?) affect its flavor? What's the most foolproof way to temper chocolate?

I want to do a blind taste test of different chocolates and to take out the variables I was thinking re-melting them all and then putting them in the same mold.

Is this a terrible idea? It sounds fun and tasty, but I don't know if execution would be too difficult.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Tres Burritos posted:

Does melting and then re-cooling chocolate (tempering?) affect its flavor? What's the most foolproof way to temper chocolate?

I want to do a blind taste test of different chocolates and to take out the variables I was thinking re-melting them all and then putting them in the same mold.

Is this a terrible idea? It sounds fun and tasty, but I don't know if execution would be too difficult.

It's not a great idea if you actually care about their quality as a bar of chocolate, since you're not going to do your melt cycle each time you enjoy them in the future. If you care about them as an ingredient, make something simple with them like hot chocolate or truffles so you can see them shine in your application of choice. If you want them just as a straight bar of chocolate, just do a normal blind taste test, with a helper to randomize them.

Also every single taste test anyone ever does must be a triangle test or bust
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFXfg3ONgl0

tl;dr: if you prepare two samples of A and one of B, but you can't tell which is the odd one out, that means they might as well be the same. You can fool yourself if you have just one sample of each, especially with things like palate fatigue, unless the samples are widely different, in which case blind taste test won't matter.

As far as a strict answer to your question, the most foolproof way is a toss-up between sous vide and microwave. Sous vide is as close to foolproof as you can get except that if you gently caress up and get any water in the bag or on the chocolate as you de-bag it, the quality tanks.

For the microwave, cut it as small as you can (should like basically like shavings), nuke in a glass bowl many short intervals (For a big bowl, I do 30 sec, stir, then 10 second/stir until it's good). Temper really gets killed when you shoot past melting the right kind of crystal structure. You can fix it by reserving 10% of your shavings and stir them in after it's all melted, but you can fairly regularly get away not doing this if you are careful to stir often so you don't have hot spots.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 1, 2019

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

It's not a great idea if you actually care about their quality as a bar of chocolate, since you're not going to do your melt cycle each time you enjoy them in the future. If you care about them as an ingredient, make something simple with them like hot chocolate or truffles so you can see them shine in your application of choice. If you want them just as a straight bar of chocolate, just do a normal blind taste test, with a helper to randomize them.

So you're saying that tempering does change the flavor or characteristics of chocolate in a significant way?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Tres Burritos posted:

So you're saying that tempering does change the flavor or characteristics of chocolate in a significant way?

You'd have to try a triangle test to know for sure :v:

Even a difference in shape and thickness matters, so unless you're doing a drat good job with that part you'll be testing a different product than straight from store bars.

And yeah you can screw up the tempering too but I'm not sure those effects because I haven't done the side by side.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I saw at Costco some bone broth with 10 or 12g of protein per cup. Normally store bought stock or broth has 1g of protein per cup. How do I go about making this extremely protein-rich broth or stock at home? As an add on question, how does one estimate the nutrition of stock or broth?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

barkbell posted:

I saw at Costco some bone broth with 10 or 12g of protein per cup. Normally store bought stock or broth has 1g of protein per cup. How do I go about making this extremely protein-rich broth or stock at home? As an add on question, how does one estimate the nutrition of stock or broth?

Get a bunch of bones and simmer them for 12 hours

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

spankmeister posted:

Get a bunch of bones and simmer them for 12 hours
Or use a pressure cooker and get it done in an hour.

In general at home you're just going to get a richer stock because you're cleaning the carcass/bones yourself, and you're going to be a lot less efficient than anything that's done at scale. So you're just naturally getting more meat, connective tissue, fat, and so on in the pot. And when I'm making stock I usually intentionally add some random meat scraps to get a richer stock.

As for measuring the proportions of stuff: well, I guess you could just weigh a litre of stock subtract a kg. But that'll tell you how much of everything else is in there, not just protein.

Got a centrifuge?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
That's kind of what I was asking. Since store bought stock is less rich in nutrients/calories is there a certain way of cooking that produces one more calorie heavy. Or is it just the normal way to make stock which results in 50calories per cup and the store bought stuff is just weak or watered down or something. I know there is no way to get an accurate measurement but I was wondering if there was just an okay way to estimate.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

barkbell posted:

That's kind of what I was asking. Since store bought stock is less rich in nutrients/calories is there a certain way of cooking that produces one more calorie heavy. Or is it just the normal way to make stock which results in 50calories per cup and the store bought stuff is just weak or watered down or something. I know there is no way to get an accurate measurement but I was wondering if there was just an okay way to estimate.

One time I pressure cooked beef bones for 8 hours, then refrigerated and pressure cooked for two more batches of 8 hours each (a lot of the water disappeared by then, because I have a jiggle top pc). The bones were fork tender at the end of it, and the broth was ridiculous - and noticeably more filling than 1-2 hour beef broth. I guess try cooking bones forever?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

barkbell posted:

I know there is no way to get an accurate measurement but I was wondering if there was just an okay way to estimate.

Get PretentiousFood in here to do a BCA assay on various types of stock.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

barkbell posted:

Measure out a litre of stock you know the caloric content of, subtract a kg, call the result n and the number of calories per litre (which you'll have to figure out based on the serving size) is k. Now compute k/n, which we'll call r, our notional ratio of kCal/g of the `stuff' in the stock.

Make your stock, measure a litre, weigh it, subtract a kg. Now just multiply the result by the r we obtained above.

Unless you happen to have a bunch of lab grade graduated cylinders and scales in your kitchen this inherently inaccurate measure will probably turn out to be no better that just eyeballing it and guessing, but hell, it might be fun.

Alternately: find out who has access to a centrifuge at your local community college.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Hi I am very broke and love fried rice. So I went to the grocery store and bought a 10lb bag of the cheapest rice, to make for other things and then use the leftovers in fried rice. However, I seem to have made a crucial mistake-I bought medium grained rice. Both times I made it it ended up as this huge amyloid blb, which when fresh tasted bizarrely of tap water (I put a lot of salt into the water thinking it would cook faster.) I realize now that I should have bought Long grain rice, but now that I am stuck with it, how the hell do I make good, non-gelatinous medium grained rice? I am moderately food literate but very stupid, so please no centrifuges or PCR

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

DildenAnders posted:

Hi I am very broke and love fried rice. So I went to the grocery store and bought a 10lb bag of the cheapest rice, to make for other things and then use the leftovers in fried rice. However, I seem to have made a crucial mistake-I bought medium grained rice. Both times I made it it ended up as this huge amyloid blb, which when fresh tasted bizarrely of tap water (I put a lot of salt into the water thinking it would cook faster.) I realize now that I should have bought Long grain rice, but now that I am stuck with it, how the hell do I make good, non-gelatinous medium grained rice? I am moderately food literate but very stupid, so please no centrifuges or PCR

HELLO MY FRIEND

Step 1 - Wash your rice. Rinse it in the coldest water you can until there's no more starchy runoff. Don't treat it too rough, just gently kinda jostle it around under flowing water until the water is clear. This will take a few minutes and a lot of water. It's okay, it's supposed to.

step 2 - cook the rice. follow the instructions on the rice or whatever your rice cooker says. Try 1.5 cups of water to 1 cup of rice. Don't add salt and stuff at this point. If it comes out gummy, use less water next time. If the rice cooker stops before it's cooked or it burns in your pot, use more water next time. It's up to you to dial it in if the cooker or rice don't tell you a ratio.

step 3 - FLUFF the rice as SOON as it's done cooking. Get some air in there, let the steam out.

step 4 - season and enjoy!

For fried rice, use leftover cooked rice. Start with cold rice from your fridge and fry it in butter or oil with some onions and carrots and peas or whatever you like. Add soy sauce and/or fish sauce or whatever. Butter will help it brown a little. If you want it to have crispy bits, use higher heat and let it sit for a bit at a time so pieces can crisp up between stirring. put some sesame seed or sesame oil in there. Classic "asian" flavors are garlic, chili pepper, and ginger, so if you have any of that, go hog wild.

E: When I was poor, I ate a lot of rice, and my protip is Throw an Egg In There. Fry your rice with some egg(s) scrambled up in it.

fart store fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 2, 2019

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
When washing rice I have found it very helpful to basically use my fingers like a giant fork to agitate the rice. It seems to make each rinse more effective at removing starch without damaging the grains.
It also just feels oddly wholesome for some reason, which is nice. :shobon:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

fart store posted:

step 3 - FLUFF the rice as SOON as it's done cooking. Get some air in there, let the steam out.

A+ advice except this doesn't match method at all. Both go-to methods I waffle between have a 10-18 minute "rest covered off heat" step.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Ooooh rice waffles.....

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Thank you Fart Store, I just rinsed the rice and it is beginning to boil as we speak (or I, uh type). My rice packaging explicitly tells me not to rinse beforehand because of vitamins, but I trust your judgment. I shall update on here how it goes! Also yeah even with weird gummy rice tumors frying it in butter and onion, adding soy sauce and 2 (too many but still) eggs, stirring in and throwing frozen peas at the end yielded a delicious tasting dish, more of like strange eggy rice porridge than fried rice but I ate every bit.

UPDATE: A thing tha- uh I mean, Oh how the best laid plans of Mice and Men... Cooked the rice, it seemed good. All the liquid was gone, nothing burnt on the bottom of the pot, my heart soared as I scooped up the most aesthetically pleasing rice I have ever made (not that impressive but still) and... Crunchy. So I put like half a cup of water in it and im gonna simmer it to try and resurrect it. I will also let you know how that goes.

DildenAnders fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 3, 2019

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
That just means you need a bit more water. Theres no real foolproof method to rice, and it will vary depending on the type, brand, and quantity of rice and the pot you decide to cook it in. Its best to pick a variety of rice and a pot with a tight fitting lid and just keep trying with the same equipment until you get the water:rice ratio and time just right. Then you can just follow that method each time.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

A tip for the eggs going into fried rice is to mix a little soy sauce into the eggs before you scramble them, or before you start making the fried rice make an omelette and cut it into strips and add it to the fried rice at the end.
A tsp of soy for 2 eggs is a good amount to use.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

DildenAnders posted:

UPDATE: A thing tha- uh I mean, Oh how the best laid plans of Mice and Men... Cooked the rice, it seemed good. All the liquid was gone, nothing burnt on the bottom of the pot, my heart soared as I scooped up the most aesthetically pleasing rice I have ever made (not that impressive but still) and... Crunchy. So I put like half a cup of water in it and im gonna simmer it to try and resurrect it. I will also let you know how that goes.

As helith said, you'll get there. Use more water next time.

What brand/type of rice are you using, btw?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah I just need to calibrate it it seems, I did 3 cups of water for 2 cups of rice, i'll probably go to 2:1 next time to see how that is. And the soy sauce in the eggs seems like a good idea, whenever I make scrambled eggs I put a couple dashes of Worcestershire in with the eggs before I fry them up and it is heavenly. As for the brand of rice it is Goya, just says "MEDIUM GRAIN RICE" on it as if it was a municipal package. I intend on eating all of it.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Gah my insipid app insisted on double posting

DildenAnders fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 2, 2019

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DildenAnders posted:

Gah my insipid app insisted on double posting

It's the forums acting up

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
So I finally found a meat shop that actually sells meat that tastes like something in the SFBA. Are there produce shops that specialize in actually strong tasting produce in SF or the South Bay? Like, fully grown stuff, don't give a poo poo about organics or whatever. Half the organics and heirloom poo poo in local markets taste like water

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

DildenAnders posted:

Yeah I just need to calibrate it it seems, I did 3 cups of water for 2 cups of rice, i'll probably go to 2:1 next time to see how that is. And the soy sauce in the eggs seems like a good idea, whenever I make scrambled eggs I put a couple dashes of Worcestershire in with the eggs before I fry them up and it is heavenly. As for the brand of rice it is Goya, just says "MEDIUM GRAIN RICE" on it as if it was a municipal package. I intend on eating all of it.

I still think it's the "leave it covered and don't frikkin touch it" step you're missing. 2:1 sounds really off, especially since this works so well for me: https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/cooking-tips/article/how-to-make-white-rice-effed-it-up

But I haven't done Goya so do what you must

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The starter on one of my gas stove's burners is being really lovely lately and I'm having a hard time lighting said burner with it. How likely am I to blow up my apartment if I attempt to light it with a match or one of those long safety lighters? Nevermind this is apparently mad easy to do.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 3, 2019

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That entirely depends on if you attempt to fill an upturned bowl with unignited gas first.

You'll be fine! That's what everybody does in a power outage.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ovens can be scary to light yourself. Still easily done safe though.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I hope you're not using an actual match. Go get yourself a barbeque lighter.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

BrianBoitano posted:

Ovens can be scary to light yourself. Still easily done safe though.

THEY ARE loving TERRIFYING TO LIGHT YOURSELF

Someone please come light my scary oven for me, I want to bake

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pfft, hand me those matches, wimp

Uhh does anyone have a first aid kit?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Thinking about kitchens I've worked in with busted pilots where you'd routinely throw burning scraps of ticket paper at open valves to light burners

Or the old "turn on 8 burners and let the one functional pilot light all of them at once" game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

I let the rice sit for like 15 minutes after the last batch and while it helped it was still crunchy. Is a crock pot a better rice cooking implement?