Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think you can still get the card after that if you go back to the tavern? I know you can still get the Baron's card after his quest is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think you can still get the card after that if you go back to the tavern? I know you can still get the Baron's card after his quest is over.

Yeah I read that but I never could find it.

I’m not sure what else I’m missing either bc I’m dumb and sold the Gwent card inventory book.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Nah. People saying 'cracker' have a way lower rate of random civilian murders. And as we meet Iorveth, the high-and-mighty freedom fighter, he's a proud leader of a force dedicated to shooting mushroom pickers.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yeah I read that but I never could find it.

I’m not sure what else I’m missing either bc I’m dumb and sold the Gwent card inventory book.

Iirc the card is in a casket in the little back room of the inn, the one where the secret basement entrance is hidden that you use during the escape.
It’s also worth noting that the Barons card will be on his desk if you didn’t play him and the scholars card from White Orchard can be found under the Hanged Mans Tree in Velen.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

RedSnapper posted:

Nah. People saying 'cracker' have a way lower rate of random civilian murders. And as we meet Iorveth, the high-and-mighty freedom fighter, he's a proud leader of a force dedicated to stopping the defilement of Elven cultural sites by mushroom pickers (who regularly engage in pogroms against the urban elves).

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 3, 2019

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
My wife wants to read the books and is reading conflicting advice online on what order to go for. Is there an optimal way to read the series, or is it really subjective?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

My wife wants to read the books and is reading conflicting advice online on what order to go for. Is there an optimal way to read the series, or is it really subjective?

Publication order is fine, except for the first two books.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Short stories first, then the Saga books:
The Last Wish
Sword of Destiny

Blood of Elves
Time of Contempt
Baptism of Fire
The Tower of Swallows
The Lady of the Lake

There's also Seasons of Storms, but it's more of a standalone witcher adventure than a part of the Saga, and it's difficult to square with the timeline of the games since Sapkowski wrote it partially as a way to try and take back some of the publicity that the games had raised for the franchise while also telling CDPR to get bent.

If she's reading the English translation Danusia Stok did Last Wish, Blood of Elves and Time of Contempt while David French translated everything else. French's translation is better. Stok isn't bad, but there's a few wonky translations and the spelling on some of the names is different. Vizima becomes Vychim and Demavend becomes Demawend, for example.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 3, 2019

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Smol posted:

except for the first two books.

Huh?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The two short story collections are mostly unconnected and a lot of the stories between the two volumes take place at intertwining moments. Some Sword of Destiny Stories take place before Last Wish stories.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Thanks, both!

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I guess I should have said original publication order. Sword of Destiny was published a year before The Last Wish, even though most people would recommend reading The Last Wish first. When it comes to translated editions, this was usually reversed.

tproc
Aug 22, 2012

Fuck you and your eyebrows.
Is there a mod for this game that fixes the terrible loot yet? I enjoyed my time with this game but only got about halfway through it because I couldn't stomach how pointless every single item in the game felt.

I tried searching for one but the only ones I found that were up to date seem attached to otherwise dubious "complete overhauls" that potentially muck around with other poo poo that never needed to be mucked around with in the first place.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

tproc posted:

Is there a mod for this game that fixes the terrible loot yet? I enjoyed my time with this game but only got about halfway through it because I couldn't stomach how pointless every single item in the game felt.

I tried searching for one but the only ones I found that were up to date seem attached to otherwise dubious "complete overhauls" that potentially muck around with other poo poo that never needed to be mucked around with in the first place.

What are you trying to accomplish? If you don't want to loot stuff in general, then don't. I'm sure there's a mod that can give you all the gold and mats for crafting and alchemy. If it's weight that's bothering you, there's a mod to increase that drastically. If it's just the clicking, there's an autoloot button for you.

If you're looking for a mod to make non-essential items non-interactable, I'm not sure that exists.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I think they just want non-Witcher gear to be any good at all. I'd recommend any mod that removes level limits from items if that's the case. Won't fix the problem completely, but it does mean that non-witcher crafting diagrams you loot are at least very good a lot of the time and stops you wearing the same three or four armours every playthrough.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1542

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 3, 2019

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

The two short story collections are mostly unconnected and a lot of the stories between the two volumes take place at intertwining moments. Some Sword of Destiny Stories take place before Last Wish stories.

I still think the way most people read it (Last Wish first) is better because Sword of Destiny has a lot of Yen and Ciri stuff whereas Last Wish's stories are more unconnected.

Smol posted:

I guess I should have said original publication order. Sword of Destiny was published a year before The Last Wish, even though most people would recommend reading The Last Wish first. When it comes to translated editions, this was usually reversed.

I didn't know that. Then why is The Witcher (the very first short story he ever wrote about it IIRC) in Last Wish? :confused:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

I didn't know that. Then why is The Witcher (the very first short story he ever wrote about it IIRC) in Last Wish? :confused:

The Last Wish is an essentially a second revised edition of the original, never translated and long forgotten short story collection Wiedźmin. I guess they wanted to give it a new name since it also contained 3 new short stories (especially the framing story with Nenneke)

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm pretty sure all the stories from SoD take place after TLW. In fact, I'm pretty sure all SoD stories (not counting the flashback parts of Something More) take place in chronological order, just with wildly varying amounts of time in-between.

Smol posted:

The Last Wish is an essentially a second revised edition of the original, never translated and long forgotten short story collection Wiedźmin. I guess they wanted to give it a new name since it also contained 3 new short stories (especially the framing story with Nenneke)

To be precise, the first Witcher stories were published in a monthly magazine "Fantastyka". The order was "Witcher", "The Road with No Return" (semi-canonical prequel story), "Grain of Truth" and "Lesser Evil" (in the same issue), "Question of Price". In 1990 all five stories were printed in the collection simply titled "Witcher". Two more stories in Fantastyka, "The Bounds of Reason" and "A Shard of Ice" followed, soon reprinted with the other new stories in "The Sword of Destiny" in 1992, and finally the stories from "Witcher", sans TRoNR were reprinted in "The Last Wish".

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 3, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQeve-xsiKk

In which Yennefer does some dancing for a folk band.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

Short stories first, then the Saga books:
The Last Wish
Sword of Destiny

Blood of Elves
Time of Contempt
Baptism of Fire
The Tower of Swallows
The Lady of the Lake

This should be pinned in the OP. This is the only order to read these books imo. Season of Storms is also great but it jumps around time wise and is fine to be read after everything else. Probably makes the most sense that way.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I've owned two copies of this game forever and I'm finally going to fire it up and play. I've read the first 3 or 4 books and thought they were pretty fun, so I'm looking forward to trying this game out that I've heard so much about. Going to play on my PS4 pro just for the comfy couch and so I can watch the baby while playing.

I assume since this isn't an online game, I can pause whenever. Right?

I know next to nothing about the gameplay/systems/combat of this. Can I do alright if I focus mainly on swordplay with a dabbling of magic/potions? I am hoping to emulate the Geralt from the books where preparation with potions and skill with swords carry me through fights with a little bit of signs as backup. Not sure if this will spread me too thin or what.

Are there any important things I need to know to do or not do that would irrevocably gently caress up my game otherwise? I don't want to say "yes" in some dialogue early on that causes me to not be able to get The Real Ending or whatever.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Aranan posted:

I've owned two copies of this game forever and I'm finally going to fire it up and play. I've read the first 3 or 4 books and thought they were pretty fun, so I'm looking forward to trying this game out that I've heard so much about. Going to play on my PS4 pro just for the comfy couch and so I can watch the baby while playing.

I know next to nothing about the gameplay/systems/combat of this. Can I do alright if I focus mainly on swordplay with a dabbling of magic/potions? I am hoping to emulate the Geralt from the books where preparation with potions and skill with swords carry me through fights with a little bit of signs as backup. Not sure if this will spread me too thin or what.

Are there any important things I need to know to do or not do that would irrevocably gently caress up my game otherwise? I don't want to say "yes" in some dialogue early on that causes me to not be able to get The Real Ending or whatever.

Any build works as it’s not a hard game, even on highest difficulty. If I had any advice it’s to make sure not to rush through. You don’t need to be a completionist but you also should take your time and enjoy the story and writing. It’s all pretty phenomenal across the board.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Aranan posted:

Nothing will completely gently caress up your game, but there are 2 instances I can think of where a dialogue choice will cut content.

Early game, immediately following the starter zone (which is huge and worth exploring fully), you'll be asked a series of questions about prior events - including whether or not certain people died or lived. Just tell them nobody died (I'm not sure of the exact dialogue). If everyone lived, it opens an extra quest and gives you an extra cut scene.

Mid game, you'll be given the option to shove someone forcefully. Don't do it. It ends a questline preemptively.

There are other examples for the DLC, those are the two I can think of offhand for the main game. Other than that, everything the person above me said is correct. Alchemy and swordplay are how I got through the game and it was great.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Aranan posted:

Yeah, but you'll need to alt-tab if you want to pause during dialogue.

Never mind, skipped over the ps4 part.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Man, the Superior crafted versions of Witcher gear all look lovely. The basic stuff looks good, the enhanced look like fleshed out versions of the basics and the Mastercrafted variants are complete. But the superior stuff looks like they took half of the Mastercrafted designs and then slapped a few placeholder models for the rest of the outfit.

The Griffin suit is super top heavy and all of the neat stuff from the enhanced armor is missing from the trousers. Cat armor doesn't have the tacticool chainmail turtleneck and it has dopey detached chainmail sleeves.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Base level Griffin gear is the best divorced dadbod gear. Geralt can't afford flashy clothes because his ex-wife keeps nagging him about that back child support he owes.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm in a weird place with the armor/weapons in this game. I'm playing NG+ and am about 50 hours in with a level 70 Geralt, having just recently reached Skellige. Yet, I'm still wearing my "end game" gear from my previous playthrough. High level Manticore armor and the Iris/Aerondight swords. All the other armor and swords offer way more defense and offense, but since I'm not into Honest Hearts or rolling in money yet, I can't afford to re-enchant new armor with the high level runes I have in my current gear, and I think those runes out weight any defense/offensive advantage, not to mention those two sword's innate abilities. And mind you I'm playing on Death March, my gear is over around 30 levels lower than me, and I still slice through everything without issue and rarely take enough hits to want/need new armor. Anyone else run into this?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I wish the Cat armor never got sleeves

Geralt just driving around in a busted-rear end 80's Camaro

opens the door and a bunch of empty beer cans fall out

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Monkey Fracas posted:

Please. My character is a baller; he has bottles of Everluce falling out of his brown Camero with white hood that has the license plate "Roach" on it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Monkey Fracas posted:

I assume Geralt had a pack of Marlboro Reds rolled up in his no sleeves Cat armor too.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
looks like we'll have to do this the hard way

*pulls rusty tire iron out from between seat cushions*

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Have any of ya'll tried messing with the new Nvidia/Reshade options with the new Nvidia driver package in Witcher 3? There's some neat looking options in there, and while I don't play with any of them on, it's a fantastic screenshot generator with built in filters now.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

I'm in a weird place with the armor/weapons in this game. I'm playing NG+ and am about 50 hours in with a level 70 Geralt, having just recently reached Skellige. Yet, I'm still wearing my "end game" gear from my previous playthrough. High level Manticore armor and the Iris/Aerondight swords. All the other armor and swords offer way more defense and offense, but since I'm not into Honest Hearts or rolling in money yet, I can't afford to re-enchant new armor with the high level runes I have in my current gear, and I think those runes out weight any defense/offensive advantage, not to mention those two sword's innate abilities. And mind you I'm playing on Death March, my gear is over around 30 levels lower than me, and I still slice through everything without issue and rarely take enough hits to want/need new armor. Anyone else run into this?

I’m about where you are at level wise but I’ve beaten the main campaign. I went for the bear gear because it was fun and different, but regardless you slice through enemies with an alchemy build in NG+, even on death march.

With NG+, go style over substance.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Presenting Nipples posted:

I’m about where you are at level wise but I’ve beaten the main campaign. I went for the bear gear because it was fun and different, but regardless you slice through enemies with an alchemy build in NG+, even on death march.

With NG+, go style over substance.

I do wish there was a difficulty that leaned more towards Witcher 2's Dark Mode. Death March is way too easy and I'm not a fan of rebalance mods because they change too many of the mechanics for my taste. The best balance mod I've seen is the Witcher 1's rebalance mod where the modder was later hired by CDPR. That one has a lot of good changes, makes the gameplay "dangerous" but also highly rewarding.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Aranan posted:

Time to spam recommend my guide again:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=724461831

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Did anyone out there honestly get the "bad" ending to Witcher 3 without trying for it? I wonder if those folks were upset with the ending because they didn't make the correct choices in a couple of places. I actually liked that the endings weren't super sign-posted, but I imagine lots of people did not.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

chaosapiant posted:

Did anyone out there honestly get the "bad" ending to Witcher 3 without trying for it? I wonder if those folks were upset with the ending because they didn't make the correct choices in a couple of places. I actually liked that the endings weren't super sign-posted, but I imagine lots of people did not.

My friend did and yeah, be was pretty annoyed. It's pretty arbitrary and it's really not intuitive.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Eh, I think you could very easily get the bad ending. Those choices weren't strictly good/bad. They were permissive/protective.

Edit: Just the difference between Ciri being Empress or Ciri being your Witcher buddy is determined from one choice that would appear to have no bearing on that outcome. And it's at least like 2 hours from the end of the game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

WoodrowSkillson posted:

My friend did and yeah, be was pretty annoyed. It's pretty arbitrary and it's really not intuitive.

It's one of those things were, like the suicide mission in ME2, I knew all the right choices without even knowing how it would effect the ending and was confused that other people got it "wrong". On the other hand, the "bad" ending so so well written that I'd hope folks could appreciate it for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Edit: Just the difference between Ciri being Empress or Ciri being your Witcher buddy is determined from one choice that would appear to have no bearing on that outcome. And it's at least like 2 hours from the end of the game.

Yeah and they make it sound like the choice is take advantage of this rare opportunity to snipe a powerful wild hunt general who is exposed for this one event, or else take her to see the rear end in a top hat emperor immediately and miss out on the opportunity to kill the guy who killed Vesemir. I assumed we would have plenty of chances to go see the emperor afterwards, it's not like he's in danger or going anywhere.