Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I like setting up outpost bases mostly for convenience and when I need to go get a certain resource. Most resources have at least one part of the map in which you're practically tripping over the stuff.

Exterior planters are also super useful given you can grow most important resources right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Pretty much, yeah. I found that setting up an outpost with solar panels/bioreactor and a scanner room did wonders for getting enough lead/titanium to build the big-tree base.

Pity those scanners kept pinging deposits I'd already mined, though :doom:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I'll say this about The Dunes.

It may not have a whole lot other than sand, but it does have a LOT of titanium and quartz. With which you can go somewhere more interesting and build bases there.

Especially once you enact some pest control with your prawn on a certain bunch of red and grey guys.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

EimiYoshikawa posted:

One piece of advice that isn't too spoilery: don't hit up the Aurora without having at least a laser cutter and a repair tool on you.

And a grav gun, you need a grav gun to move stuff out of the way, You can find batteries/food/water inside.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hi folks, I wanted you to know I just created a base building megathread here. Hope you find it helpful, and please leave comments in the thread, thanks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Aurora has a ton of stuff but you really don't want to have to make more trips than necessary to carry everything out, unless you really want to.

I need to watch more blind playthroughs of the game, wanna see what order people discover things in when left to their own devices.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

WarpedNaba posted:

Pretty much, yeah. I found that setting up an outpost with solar panels/bioreactor and a scanner room did wonders for getting enough lead/titanium to build the big-tree base.

Pity those scanners kept pinging deposits I'd already mined, though :doom:

It doesn't have to be that way. Quoting my earlier (much longer) post on mods for Subnautica:

Soul Reaver posted:

Large Deposits Fix
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/50
Ensures that large resource deposits are no longer picked up by the scanner room once completely exhausted. Makes the game very slightly easier since you don't go chasing after nonexistent ghost deposits but feels like something that should have been there to start with.
Strongly recommended.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I don't know what it is but, looking down and seeing no sea floor is terrifying. Having a reaper scream in the distance doesn't help.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

turtlecrunch posted:

Hmmmmm sounds pretty efficient but you know my current power design doubles as a giant flag to let the aliens know who's the boss of the planet now :v:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Azuth0667 posted:

I don't know what it is but, looking down and seeing no sea floor is terrifying. Having a reaper scream in the distance doesn't help.

:cthulhu:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
So I loaded up Below Zero again but it's in a very in-between phase right now. They scrapped all the voice acting and are re-writing the story and it's very placeholder right now.

There's also a huge lack of direction after you get your pod and investigate the first cargo location. You get a vague "maybe try to find the alien structure?" with no beacon and just find and the first oxygen tank.

I shelved it again. My first EA experience with it was great because the story and voice acting framed it in a totally different way from Subnautica. It seems like they're reversing things and removing the NPC and making the game about being stranded again instead of "dammit I'm staying here until I figure this out". Downgrade for me but still hopeful for the final product.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Did they ever make a way to dock cyclops to bases?

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

SynthesisAlpha posted:

So I loaded up Below Zero again but it's in a very in-between phase right now. They scrapped all the voice acting and are re-writing the story and it's very placeholder right now.

There's also a huge lack of direction after you get your pod and investigate the first cargo location. You get a vague "maybe try to find the alien structure?" with no beacon and just find and the first oxygen tank.

I shelved it again. My first EA experience with it was great because the story and voice acting framed it in a totally different way from Subnautica. It seems like they're reversing things and removing the NPC and making the game about being stranded again instead of "dammit I'm staying here until I figure this out". Downgrade for me but still hopeful for the final product.

That's quite interesting.
I haven't played Below Zero in EA and don't plan to, but I know a fair few people were complaining about the story being more linear and there being less of a sense of being alone and abandoned. The developer was pretty adamant they were going to stick with that approach since they wanted to 'try something new' (not sure how a more linear story driven by instructions provided by an NPC is 'something new' but like I said, I haven't played it).

The fact that they've changed it must mean the pressure must have been pretty relentless.

My personal feeling on it is mixed optimism.
On the one hand, I felt like the sense of being stranded without outside contact and the breadcrumb plot was one of Subnautica's big strengths and I feel that following NPC directions detracts from that.
On the other hand, changing something that sounded like one of the core differences in Below Zero - and by the sounds of it something they had strongly wanted to do from the start - when they're already a fair amount into development doesn't necessarily bode well.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

ZeusCannon posted:

Did they ever make a way to dock cyclops to bases?

Comedy Answer: The Cyclops is the base! :eng101:

Actual Answer: no

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Went through the Aurora today and I believe I got all the loot of value. :haw:

I couldn't find a code for the Captain's Quarters but I'll try again after I have fully become a crab that shoots torpedos.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 23, 2019

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Congrats on getting literally the most important item in the game, my dude.

Second place being the model aurora and the plush doll, of course.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Aurora has a ton of stuff but you really don't want to have to make more trips than necessary to carry everything out, unless you really want to.

I need to watch more blind playthroughs of the game, wanna see what order people discover things in when left to their own devices.

i would just like to note i hate your avatar

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

Went through the Aurora today and I believe I got all the loot of value. :haw:

I couldn't find a code for the Captain's Quarters but I'll try again after I have fully become a crab that shoots torpedos.

You can find the code for the captain's quarters, it's somewhere in there, also of note, theres like 3 entrances to the aurora, one very high up, one a floor up, and the other is just above sea level, and you can get stuck in there if you don't have a grav gun to get out.

The third high up entrance is only accessible from the outside, and you can trap yourself inside.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Finally finished. Game owns. Also somehow I didn't think it was that important to build a grow bed until at the very end of the game and I had the realization I could have made my life so. much. easier. I should have farmed important exploitables instead of having to go on quests to find enough to craft XYZ every time. :doh:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The gameplay of Below Zero is fun, so it doesn’t really matter to me whether the few storybits that were in the game got changed.

I wouldn’t mind it if they took out the mission to scan 100 alien artifacts, that just seemed like a really weird thing to have in the game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Soul Reaver posted:

That's quite interesting.
I haven't played Below Zero in EA and don't plan to, but I know a fair few people were complaining about the story being more linear and there being less of a sense of being alone and abandoned. The developer was pretty adamant they were going to stick with that approach since they wanted to 'try something new' (not sure how a more linear story driven by instructions provided by an NPC is 'something new' but like I said, I haven't played it).

The fact that they've changed it must mean the pressure must have been pretty relentless.

My personal feeling on it is mixed optimism.
On the one hand, I felt like the sense of being stranded without outside contact and the breadcrumb plot was one of Subnautica's big strengths and I feel that following NPC directions detracts from that.
On the other hand, changing something that sounded like one of the core differences in Below Zero - and by the sounds of it something they had strongly wanted to do from the start - when they're already a fair amount into development doesn't necessarily bode well.

One very huge example of this sort of problem is the ...lava castle... in particular for Subnautica main game, used to have a direct beacon given. Then it was removed under the pretenses of "Encouraging Exploration".

Inevitably it became one of the most "Drove right past it without even realizing it was there" things in the game for newcomers and returning players (even on these very forums). Players still easily successful enough to arrive at the end rather than struggling. Unable to enter, because they drove past the spoiler, often with no clue they MISSED anything because after all, they followed the constant of advice of "Go Deeper until you find plot" :v:

All it took was a boring U turn to get sorted out, so on a paper you could claim it was "Not a big deal". But in practice, there is no reason to be deliberately obtuse in an exploration game either, when the end result is "Well, that took longer I guess." That reminds me, I hope they stick with crafted beacons being a core tech in Below Zero.

Subnautica's general tone is one of "Relaxing easy mode exploration" peppered with rough edges added at to appease people treating it like some kind of hardcore experience where more time and more clicks is what matters.

Oasx posted:

The gameplay of Below Zero is fun, so it doesn’t really matter to me whether the few storybits that were in the game got changed.

I wouldn’t mind it if they took out the mission to scan 100 alien artifacts, that just seemed like a really weird thing to have in the game.
Like so!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

You can find the code for the captain's quarters, it's somewhere in there, also of note, theres like 3 entrances to the aurora, one very high up, one a floor up, and the other is just above sea level, and you can get stuck in there if you don't have a grav gun to get out.

The third high up entrance is only accessible from the outside, and you can trap yourself inside.

The code for the captain's quarters is the one code that's not found within the Aurora. Specifically, you get it from one of the last radio messages. Every other code you'd need in there is found on-site though.

Vil fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 23, 2019

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGnb5O89wEU
this is how I'm supposed to get this scan right

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

You're supposed to use a stasis gun on it, scan it, then turn it into sushi.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

turtlecrunch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGnb5O89wEU

I applaud your Outside-The-Prawn thinking, but...you're supposed to stay inside the prawn.

PROTIP: You can scan things after they stop moving due to a terminal case of punchitis.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
reaper ate too many knuckle sandwiches and needs to lie down

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

wtb subnautica but with real guns

someone please make that game, thanks

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5astpd0RRrY

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

that looks like rear end

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

enraged_camel posted:

that looks like rear end

It's more Spacestation 13, or Substation 13 than Subnautica.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Teledahn posted:

It's more Spacestation 13, or Substation 13 than Subnautica.

How good is the prison loaf science?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Heffer posted:

How good is the prison loaf science?

I don't know but it has (optional) secret traitor mechanics and a clown costume. Also enormous undersea monsters whom are far more aggressive than Subnautica's fauna.

honk

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

so it's
We need to go deeper. (Which is a goon game)

but not as much fun

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
In this game I occasionally have the feeling that I am somewhere I am not supposed to be. Such as when I waltz into an alien compound, activate some kind of portal, end up back at the surface and my Prawn can't jump back out of the aliens' driveway on that side so I have to go back through the portal by myself and someone is talking to me in the void and then I swim 1500 meters through a volcano with nothing but my Seaglide.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

nice patch size dudes
https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/subnautica-big-little-update-released/

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Does it optimize as much as I hope?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Invalid Validation posted:

Does it optimize as much as I hope?

Having not played it and only skimmed the change notes, I can absolutely guarantee you that it does not.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

according to the comments there are a ton of issues with the update

i'd proceed with caution..

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Is this an original game update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!