Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE NVIDIA SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I was pretty much done with AMD for a while when Omega Drivers and one other "some guy makes a driver which vastly improves performance" project had to exist because ATI can't make a non-garbage driver. And that was after I figured that ATI would never amount to anything and would hold PC gaming back because they were putting garbage RAGE PRO cards in OEM machines that couldn't do OpenGL at all and barely ran Half-Life in Direct3D. I sigh that they want me to know what a Crimson Driver and ReLive Driver and an Adrenalin Driver is and that these are all the same stupid thing.

ATI should not be one of the last two graphics card brands. It's a shame 3Dfx didn't make it. Barring that, it's a shame Jensen didn't get his reverse-takeover of Intel and wield even more power over us than he does now... But you know what, I won't meltdown-post about it. Talk about letting the mask slip.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
One of the two co-owners of Matrox apparently recently bought out his partner who he had a falling-out with over the last decade and apparently has big plans for the corporation, so you can always dream big.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

I was pretty much done with AMD for a while when Omega Drivers and one other "some guy makes a driver which vastly improves performance" project had to exist because ATI can't make a non-garbage driver. And that was after I figured that ATI would never amount to anything and would hold PC gaming back because they were putting garbage RAGE PRO cards in OEM machines that couldn't do OpenGL at all and barely ran Half-Life in Direct3D. I sigh that they want me to know what a Crimson Driver and ReLive Driver and an Adrenalin Driver is and that these are all the same stupid thing.

You install the thing and get a single usable bit of software for all your gpu setup needs. No registration, no dumpster diving through an xp era app, even has Afterburner built in. It's probably the main reason I'd lean AMD next GPU upgrade if they're at all competitive on performance.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

How did you miss the existence of ATI Tray Tools while being aware of the Omega Drivers? Combined with the barebones (CCC-less) driver, you had a control panel that did everything CCC didn't if you were willing to fine-tune stuff, but there were tutorials for that poo poo everywhere, like enabling the early cousins of their current SSAA modes. This was working all the way up to the 5000's, and then Radeonpro/Radeonmod came along

This isn't really exclusive to them either, because Rivatuner, followed by Nvidia Inspector, served the same role in making NVCP something you thankfully only need to open once. They too let you enable the fun AA modes NVIDIA has deemed unsuitable for PC gamers, and half the fun of getting a new Nvidia card is seeing which games can now handle combined or 4x4 comfortably

Also: if you think ATI offloaded lovely Rage's onto OEM's, you missed Nvidia selling nerfed TNT2's in bulk to just about anyone who asked around the same time. The Vaio my Dad came home with one night used a TNT2 M64 for some reason, I guess I was crazy to think there'd be an MX card in the $2k PC at the very loving least, at least it came with Red Faction

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.globalfoundries.com/news-events/press-releases/globalfoundries-and-tsmc-announce-resolution-global-disputes-through
https://www.tsmc.com/tsmcdotcom/PRListingNewsAction.do?action=detail&language=E&newsid=THHKHIPGTH

TSMC and GloFo issue identical join press releases saying that they've kissed and made up and hammered out a cross-licensing agreement.

Seems like the only winners here are the lawyers.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Lol the TNT2. Triggered me hard on a nostalgia trip with that one.

I had ye olde lovable Dell Dimension 450 P2 with the tnt1 that was amazing. Parents ended up having to buy "their own" computer which I am impossibly thankful they had the ability to do in retrospect. I was soooo secretly jealous theirs had a TNT2.

Needless to say I definitely ran some extremely unofficial benchmarks when they were at work and distinctly recall deciding that I should simply congratulate my parents on their purchase rather than cannibalize parts or negotiate a trade hahahah

Pretty significant mixed emotions for the teenage nerd: on one hand, new device lovely and lame, on the other hand it means mine still beat it by default

Life lessons in an elite force benchmark

Worf fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 2, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Nine of Eight posted:

One of the two co-owners of Matrox apparently recently bought out his partner who he had a falling-out with over the last decade and apparently has big plans for the corporation, so you can always dream big.
Matrox is still a thing?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Combat Pretzel posted:

Matrox is still a thing?

Yeah, they've got a nice little niche for stuff like video walls.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Doesn't Matrox just sell rebadged AMD cards with custom software nowadays?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The cost to develop a modern GPU from scratch, soup to nuts, is probably what a billion dollars? It is the same as any other "mature" market, its a lot of cost for very small gains. I doubt anybody outside of true goliaths like intel are going to be making moves into the sector.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I'm looking to build out a custom Plex server and I have an extra GTX 1050 TI that I *can* reuse. I've done some research and it seems the 1050 TI should support hardware encoding just fine for NVENC right? If I have that card in my machine, I should be able to offload most (if not all) of my transcoding needs to the GPU and not on the CPU?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
It should, yes, but do note that the visual quality will be noticeably lower when using GPU hardware encoding vs CPU software.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

The cost to develop a modern GPU from scratch, soup to nuts, is probably what a billion dollars? It is the same as any other "mature" market, its a lot of cost for very small gains. I doubt anybody outside of true goliaths like intel are going to be making moves into the sector.

There's been rumors of a Chinese firm, Jingjia Micro, that's developing a GPU line, though whatever I've been able to pick up suggests that they're doing this for military applications, and that any kind of break-in to the commercial market would be something that they'd have to deliberately aim for.

eames
May 9, 2009

DrDork posted:

It should, yes, but do note that the visual quality will be noticeably lower when using GPU hardware encoding vs CPU software.

Some sites reviewed old/new NVENC vs x264 Fast preset, the Pascal version looked noticeably worse and the Turing version looked noticeably better. That was at 1080p 60fps so ymmv but the NVIDIA hw encoders are improving and catching up.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The lower quality of GPU encoders is also less of an issue when streaming over LAN, where you can just throw tens of mbit/sec at the problem.

Streaming to Twitch or whatever is a different story since you're limited to about 6mbit and need to make those bits count.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

repiv posted:

The lower quality of GPU encoders is also less of an issue when streaming over LAN, where you can just throw tens of mbit/sec at the problem.

Streaming to Twitch or whatever is a different story since you're limited to about 6mbit and need to make those bits count.

True, but it's also a lot less common to need to transcode over a LAN anyhow, since basically any device these days is capable of supporting the vast majority of codecs natively. When someone mentions transcoding I immediately assume they're streaming across the web to a mobile device or similar remote, bandwidth-constrained application.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

DrDork posted:

True, but it's also a lot less common to need to transcode over a LAN anyhow, since basically any device these days is capable of supporting the vast majority of codecs natively. When someone mentions transcoding I immediately assume they're streaming across the web to a mobile device or similar remote, bandwidth-constrained application.

Playing 4K media on any players that don't support 4K and/or H.265. Devices that only support a limited subset of H.264 with content using a more advanced profile (my first-gen Fire TV stick seems to end up in this category a lot). Devices that may technically support the source format in hardware but have it disabled in software for licensing reasons (Raspberry Pi MPEG2 or VC-1 without paying the extra fee). Content in obsolete or obscure formats like DivX/XviD or Ogg Theora that are not supported by hardware decoders. There are definitely reasons other than bandwidth to be transcoding video in Plex.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

wolrah posted:

There are definitely reasons other than bandwidth to be transcoding video in Plex.

You're not wrong at all, but for most people those are edge cases, other than perhaps playing 4k content on an older 1080p TV. Even then, judging by various :filez: sites, 4k downloaded content is not terribly popular, nor is H.265 (yet). I'm not saying there aren't any reasons, by any means, but simply that they tend not to come up a whole lot compared to more typical non-transcoding stream usage. By comparison, basically everything streamed remotely is gonna get transcoded for bandwidth reasons.

Now, if half your media collection is 4k H.265 stuff, and the other half is ancient .ogg animes that you're planning on streaming to a Pi connected to a dumb 1080p display, then that's certainly something to consider in determining how much processing power you should get.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
My collection of H265 rips at all at H265 and it looks really good. It took like 2 years to get everything down to size, but the size benefit is significant.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Craptacular! posted:

ATI should not be one of the last two graphics card brands. It's a shame 3Dfx didn't make it. Barring that, it's a shame Jensen didn't get his reverse-takeover of Intel and wield even more power over us than he does now... But you know what, I won't meltdown-post about it. Talk about letting the mask slip.

source your quotes

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

DrDork posted:

Even then, judging by various :filez: sites, 4k downloaded content is not terribly popular, nor is H.265 (yet).
I wish the scene would move on to HEVC. But who am I kidding, the move to AVC took it's sweet drat time, too.

Over on Netflix, you notice the difference between AVC and HEVC encoded content. Practically no macroblocking whatsoever with latter.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wish the scene would move on to HEVC. But who am I kidding, the move to AVC took it's sweet drat time, too.

Over on Netflix, you notice the difference between AVC and HEVC encoded content. Practically no macroblocking whatsoever with latter.

From some reddit discussions on the topic, HEVC has some unavoidable tendencies towards blurring of detail. It does edges fine but isn’t good with textures type of thing. The consensus of the scene is apparently that even if you throw huge bitrate at it, it simply is not as sharp as H264 can be. It's better at low bitrate but can't reach the same detail levels of H264 at higher bitrates. Generally, the scene is skipping HEVC for live-action content and moving straight to AV1.

The exception is the anime community, where you don't have a ton of fine detail around edges, so it has seen pretty good uptake there. And, like, HEVC content is out there if you look for it, joybell does a lot of it for scifi shows.

Presented uncritically. Reddit could be wrong here. But the scene does seem to more or less be skipping HEVC for now, I rarely see any high-quality (say 6-15 GB) releases using HEVC, just the stuff in the low-bitrate (say 500MB-3 GB) range.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 4, 2019

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

From some reddit discussions on the topic, HEVC has some unavoidable tendencies towards blurring of detail near edges. The consensus of the scene is apparently that even if you throw huge bitrate at it, it simply is not as sharp as H264 can be. It's better at low bitrate but can't reach the same detail levels of H264 at higher bitrates. Generally, the scene is skipping HEVC for live-action content and moving straight to AV1.

The exception is the anime community, where you don't have a ton of fine detail around edges, so it has seen pretty good uptake there. And, like, HEVC content is out there if you look for it, joybell does a lot of it for scifi shows.

Presented uncritically. Reddit could be wrong here. But the scene does seem to more or less be skipping HEVC for now, I rarely see any high-quality (say 6-15 GB) releases using HEVC, just the stuff in the low-bitrate (say 500MB-3 GB) range.

What's the best subreddit for reading about this stuff?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Yeah, I find x265's output soft compared to x264.
At bitrates you'd actually want to watch, there's really not much in it.
The only positive is that you can crunch the bitrate a lot more with hevc before it looks like total rear end: but again, at bitrates you'd actually want to use (5~15Mbps), you're not going to be blown away

Edit: caveat: it's been a while since I last really took a deep dive in comparisons, maybe it's gotten better. Oh, and the encoding time. I remember x265 being much slower

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 4, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

AV1 still hasn't hardware decoders yet, IIRC. On the PC, that's less an issue, not so on mobile. That'll probably drag a switch out some years.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's a card sort of being around with the card 441.12 drivers. They on have one of bugfix https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/153212

[Super Robot Wars V]: The game crashes to a white screen

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Wow, that's a pretty amazing response when you consider that the product was crappy and overpriced, but not actually broken in any way. It had high thermals, but it wasn't like it was so hot it couldn't hold to the advertised clockspeeds. XFX paying to keep their good rep.

Also funny that they do that at the same time as this GN vid goes up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO0tpsPm0F8&t=742s
XFX: we made a stupid plastic-encased cooler to sucker all the gamer idiots who see shiny bling and can't help buying it.
Gigabyte: hold my beer!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

At least it still protects the pcb from physical damage :shrug:

So long as thermals are fine it seems significantly less dumb than the Thicc.

E: So long as thermals are fine and the backplate doesn’t melt... :v:

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 4, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

that 9mm stack of thermal pads on the EVGA RAM blows my mind. Surely they could have saved money and lowered temps by just not putting these on.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It seems like last week we were laughing at the name of the THICC and now there's three models of it? For one card category, that was only announced a few months ago at E3?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Stickman posted:

At least it still protects the pcb from physical damage :shrug:

When has that ever been a problem? We've had graphics cards (and other types of expansion cards) without any kind of "backplates" for years without issue

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

HalloKitty posted:

When has that ever been a problem? We've had graphics cards (and other types of expansion cards) without any kind of "backplates" for years without issue
Every 4870 or 4890 I ended up owning (there were a few over time) ended up bending in the middle due to lacking a backplate. These only really stood at to me as this was the first card series I had where the VRM section was long and heavy enough to cause sagging. Never caused any real damage though as far as I know.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Hey ya'll I can't figure out why my computer can't run the newest games at max settings without stuttering. I am wondering if it's me or if it's the games.

I have the nvidia GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE DirectX 12 GV-N108TD5X-B 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 ATX Video Card and an Intel Core i7-4790K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor along with Windows 10 and 24 gb of Ram. To me that should be like tippy top but for some reason I try to play FF15 and I can't hit 60 fps on the highest setting.

Could it be that I use a 4k tv instead of a monitor?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
If you are running at native 4k instead of upscaling....yeah. 2160p crushes video cards.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Spikegal posted:

Hey ya'll I can't figure out why my computer can't run the newest games at max settings without stuttering. I am wondering if it's me or if it's the games.

I have the nvidia GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE DirectX 12 GV-N108TD5X-B 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 ATX Video Card and an Intel Core i7-4790K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor along with Windows 10 and 24 gb of Ram. To me that should be like tippy top but for some reason I try to play FF15 and I can't hit 60 fps on the highest setting.

Could it be that I use a 4k tv instead of a monitor?

@4K? I think at max settings FF15 "only" hits like 90-100 at 1080p, so yeah I think it'd have trouble holding 60fps.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/images/media/2018/games/ffxv-gpu/bench/ffxv-gpu-bench-1080p-high.png

On 4K you should only expect 45fps on highest, and not even 60fps on medium
https://www.gamersnexus.net/images/media/2018/games/ffxv-gpu/bench/ffxv-gpu-bench-4k-medium.png

Render at a lower res and let the upscaler take care of it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Thank's ya'll. I don't play around with the resolution upscaler very often so I'll check that out.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
4K gaming is super rough these days. Short of a pair of 2080 TIs in SLI, you're gonna hit performance issues. 1440p is where it's at.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Spikegal posted:

Thank's ya'll. I don't play around with the resolution upscaler very often so I'll check that out.

Just set your res at 1080p and your TV will take care of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

Probably about as often as they actually decrease temperatures :v:

I've dropped a screwdriver on one before, but it probably would have been fine either way...