Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
What game should i play if i want to be a wizard in modern times that maybe shoots fireballs at vampires, but also have rules that i can explain to people i want to play with without immediately and suddenly turning them off from the system for 100% of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

ilikedirt posted:

What game should i play if i want to be a wizard in modern times that maybe shoots fireballs at vampires, but also have rules that i can explain to people i want to play with without immediately and suddenly turning them off from the system for 100% of all time
Strike!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

predatory space parasite vampire that actually does something ideologically novel with the archetype: NNOOOOO, JAIL FOR MOTHER, JAIL FOR ONE THOUSAND YEARS

Part of the problem with this was that it wasn’t actually ideologically novel, it just ripped off the then-current Necroscope series.

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

ilikedirt posted:

d20 Modern!

Which is a fun answer because it satisfies the question while also being bad.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

ulmont posted:

Part of the problem with this was that it wasn’t actually ideologically novel, it just ripped off the then-current Necroscope series.

Right, being a ripoff and derivative is how you know it's an Official White Wolf Product (TM.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ilikedirt posted:

Monte Cook’s World of Darkness

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'll always laugh at the Salubri being inspired by 3x3 Eyes of all things.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there are ambiguities in all things

but caine seriously has like 99% of vampire traits on lock come on here

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Somebody was asking after LA By Night and while it's not quite the same, there IS B. Dave Walters running 'Long Beach By Night' which might be enough to tide one over.

https://www.twitch.tv/queuetimes/videos

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Somebody was asking after LA By Night and while it's not quite the same, there IS B. Dave Walters running 'Long Beach By Night' which might be enough to tide one over.

https://www.twitch.tv/queuetimes/videos

Oh nice! I listened to an interview with B. Dave Walters a while ago and he seems like a genuinely cool dude so I'd be interested in seeing him as an ST. I think it was on Darker Days Radio? I don't remember off hand but if I can find it again I'll share a link.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

"Hey Caine, what are you exactly?"
"A miserable rear end in a top hat."
"Well there you go.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's a fun scene in Greg Stolze's Demon: The Fallen trilogy where a demon meets a vampire at a diner and they both think the other's a myth. "Caine? Really?"

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
......that's odd, as the First Murderer is the turning point of the entire conflict between angels and demons, and Caine is a Known Entity in Demon. When they hear tell of an entire race of blood sucking atrocities that claim descent from him the general response is "Yeah that sounds about right, gently caress that guy".

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hey, don't steal my Malkavian character concept!

...actually, go ahead and steal it, it doesn't look like I'm ever gonna get to play in a Masquerade game again.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

Arivia posted:

Monte Cook’s World of Darkness

Dont you mean invisible sun

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hey, don't steal my Malkavian character concept!

...actually, go ahead and steal it, it doesn't look like I'm ever gonna get to play in a Masquerade game again.

My best friend has decided that this is going to be part of his Malkavian character.

He has never played Vampire before and he came up with a Malkavian who is second in command of a Flatliners style blood cult who is also obsessed with the occult and now that I've mentioned that the Caine/Antideluvian story is considered a myth for the most part in our game, he's decided to add Caine conspiracy theorist to things.

This is also the game where the other two players are a gay first nation/African American Toredor who is insulted that anyone would suggest that her feeding style (Siren) is something new and that she's always been a slut (her description) and is kind of a bitter Brujah trapped in a Toredor body, along with a Carna Tremere from Europe who runs an occult book store in SF and does Tremere poo poo because that's what Tremere do. She also is using a young Fran Drescher as her character portrait and the jury is still out if she's going to do the voice or not.

:allears: Our first session is loosely scheduled for this weekend or next and it's going to be interesting.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ilikedirt posted:

Dont you mean invisible sun

Sure, that too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

joylessdivision posted:

My best friend has decided that this is going to be part of his Malkavian character.

He has never played Vampire before and he came up with a Malkavian who is second in command of a Flatliners style blood cult who is also obsessed with the occult and now that I've mentioned that the Caine/Antideluvian story is considered a myth for the most part in our game, he's decided to add Caine conspiracy theorist to things.

This is also the game where the other two players are a gay first nation/African American Toredor who is insulted that anyone would suggest that her feeding style (Siren) is something new and that she's always been a slut (her description) and is kind of a bitter Brujah trapped in a Toredor body, along with a Carna Tremere from Europe who runs an occult book store in SF and does Tremere poo poo because that's what Tremere do. She also is using a young Fran Drescher as her character portrait and the jury is still out if she's going to do the voice or not.

:allears: Our first session is loosely scheduled for this weekend or next and it's going to be interesting.

Oh man, sounds like it's gonna be a blast.

My own take was to craft a conspiracy theory that had Caine be Aliens and the Antedeluvians (and their descendants) be an Alien bioweapon.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Don't be silly, everyone knows Caine-the-Vampire is a curse on Caine-the-Human as an emblem of humanity as a whole, punishing us for our greed, arrogance, and pride.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh man, sounds like it's gonna be a blast.

My own take was to craft a conspiracy theory that had Caine be Aliens and the Antedeluvians (and their descendants) be an Alien bioweapon.

Oh that would be neat. I have no idea what he's cooking up but I've got copies of The Book of Nod and Revelations of the Dark Mother coming from Drivethrurpg soon because I wanted to sprinkle in some of my own weird Caine/Lilith cults into things.

On top of the other weird poo poo I'm pulling in from the other game lines and twisting into my own strangeness.

I've got the first session plotted out to get the group introduced and a stack of plot hooks for them to ponder and chase, so after the first session I'll do a full write up.

I'm excited and nervous as hell because this is my first time running Vampire after DM 4th edition D&D like....7 or 8 years ago but the players are all new and super excited.

We had a Google hangout a couple weeks ago to talk about expectations and such that went really well, so I think this group is going to be a lot of fun. I fully expect them to cause all kinds of chaos throughout the Bay Area and likely draw the ire of the new Cam prince of SF. But what kind of Anarchs would they be if they didn't?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

joylessdivision posted:

Oh that would be neat. I have no idea what he's cooking up but I've got copies of The Book of Nod and Revelations of the Dark Mother coming from Drivethrurpg soon because I wanted to sprinkle in some of my own weird Caine/Lilith cults into things.

If you wanna get really weird, read TBoN, RotDM, Erciyes Fragments and Days of Fire as one book. It's a bit time consuming but the basic process is to take each verse (dividing them into chapters as needed in the case of RotDM, matching them by approximate sequence of events but also keeping broadly similar chunks together - e.g. all 4 contain a Genesis analogue at the start) and lay them out side by side in a table. You get really quite poetic results, like so:

I dream of the First Times
The longest memory
I speak of the First Times
The Oldest Father
I sing of the First Times
And the dawn of Darkness

Once, all was silence and stillness.
This was the time of nothing,
when the Ancient One rested Its eyes and moved not.
Every 55,555 years, the Ancient One breaks Its rest
and opens Its eyes, to see what was not there before.
Each 55,555 years, It closes Its eyes
and all becomes silence and stillness again.

At first the Angels of The One Giver
Numbered nine million and nine thousand and nine hundred and nine.
Each Angel had a place.
Each place had an Angel.
All was peace.
All was governed.

In Nod, where the light of Paradise
Lit up the night sky
And the tears of our parents wet the ground
Each of us, in our way,
Set about to live
And take our sustenance from the land

Then the Ancient One opened its eyes
for the 333rd time,
and a bolt of Light split the darkness.
Thence came [Jehovah]
and the other Shining Ones.
To delight the eyes of the Ancient One,
they spoke great Words and sang great Songs,
And thence wove the world into being.

He had the Lord’s own sanctity
He had the Lord’s own purity
And when he showed that he had
the Lord’s spirit as well,

Then The One Giver gave Her greatest gift.
To Her Angels She gave the gift
that they might give as She had.
They gave the best of themselves.
A gift for the world.
A gift for the Giver.
A gift for each other.
This gift was Woman and Man.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Out of curiosity, is anyone here a woman or if you participate in games a lot, do you see many women?

I've always been the rather antisocial type of nerd but back when GamerGate, Sad Puppies, ComicsGate, etc. were raging, a lot nerd circles were exposed as horrible dens of misogyny.

This came to mind because I really want my GF to play Bloodlines. She loves vampires and video games and this game rules. But you cannot help but notice that all the hookers are women or that Jeanette exists or that Heather is a girl or the enlarge boobs code or that most of the popular mods are for female PC's. I don't have a problem with any of this - I play a lady vampire - and nobody recommends Bloodlines because of any of this. We love it because of its music and atmosphere and writing. At the same time, the presence of all these things indicate they were pandering to a straight male audience. Again, no problem with that but it made me wonder just how many women are in the WoD fandom?

I only know the YouTuber Outstar who is a lady and very cool.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
As a lesbian who loves Bloodlines and showed my wife it and she also loved it until she hit a progression breaking bug in the Malkavian manor, just rec it. Game good.

Unless she’s given you specific reason to think she’d have a problem with the sexualization, of course.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

This came to mind because I really want my GF to play Bloodlines. She loves vampires and video games and this game rules. But you cannot help but notice that all the hookers are women or that Jeanette exists or that Heather is a girl or the enlarge boobs code or that most of the popular mods are for female PC's. I don't have a problem with any of this - I play a lady vampire - and nobody recommends Bloodlines because of any of this. We love it because of its music and atmosphere and writing. At the same time, the presence of all these things indicate they were pandering to a straight male audience. Again, no problem with that but it made me wonder just how many women are in the WoD fandom?

Lots. Masquerade is credited for for getting a lot of women into the hobby. Did women play RPGs before? Of course, but Vampire was the first time I'd see women buying books on their own regularly because they were super into it.

If you don't think Bloodlines' sexualization will turn off your girlfriend, have at it. People still come up to Grey Griffin now and then cosplaying as Jeannette. I think people don't recommend it is because it looks increasingly dated and you need a patch to make it anything like a finished game, and even if you have said patch the controls are still jank and you can find out your build is pretty useless the tougher things get. For WoD fans who've never played it, it can be a delight but I don't think I'd ever recommend it to people who just dig CRPGs.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 4, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Lots. Masquerade is credited for for getting a lot of women into the hobby. Did women play RPGs before? Of course, but Vampire was the first time I'd see women buying books on their own regularly because they were super into it.

If you don't think Bloodlines' sexualization will turn off your girlfriend, have at it. People still come up to Grey Griffin now and then cosplaying as Jeannette. I think people don't recommend it is because it looks increasingly dated and you need a patch to make it anything like a finished game, and even if you have said patch the controls are still jank and you can find out your build is pretty useless the tougher things get. For WoD fans who've never played it, it can be a delight but I don't think I'd ever recommend it to people who just dig CRPGs.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah she would have no problem with sexualization. I just wondered how many women actually like the game and if the WoD fandom was a boys' club. Glad to hear it's nice and diverse.

Even if the makers intended Bloodlines to be marketed towards straight dudes that's just another way in which creator intent often means very little once the work is out there. People will do and think what they want and being part of a desired or neglected demographic won't stop them.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Until very recently, World of Darkness games were the only thing I have ever known women to really play and be excited about. Not that women didn't play d&d ever 20 years ago, but even then games of just women playing vampire or mage was a thing locally.

I am glad in the increasing diverse player base these days, but WoD has always been way ahead of that curve.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Out of curiosity, is anyone here a woman or if you participate in games a lot, do you see many women?

I've always been the rather antisocial type of nerd but back when GamerGate, Sad Puppies, ComicsGate, etc. were raging, a lot nerd circles were exposed as horrible dens of misogyny.

I only know the YouTuber Outstar who is a lady and very cool.

Woman here. When I first got into late middle school not a single one of my male friends had heard about it so at the time I was under the impression it was more a girl thing than say D&D.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
My entire regular WoD group are women.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

ilikedirt posted:

I'm a big fan of the dresden files fate game.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Magnusth posted:

I'm a big fan of the dresden files fate game.

I came here to recommend Dresden Files Accelerated, actually. The original game from 9 years ago is an interesting artifact and step on the road from Spirit of the Century to Fate Core, but if the goal is to "have rules that i can explain to people i want to play with without immediately and suddenly turning them off from the system for 100% of all time," well... YMMV, but my attempt to run a game of the original Dresden Files RPG fizzled after the first session when it took about 20 minutes to figure out the modifiers for a wizard casting fireball.

DFA is a nice, streamlined take on kitchen-sink urban fantasy, and if the Dresden Files setting doesn't appeal to you it's really easy to strip out and/or kitbash the pieces into whatever form you prefer.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Dresden Files is, i think, the only fantasy series in history that setup a sex scene with a hot big boobed 18 year old with pierced nips and then immediately dump a jug of cold water on it, so props for that.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Dresden Files is, i think, the only fantasy series in history that setup a sex scene with a hot big boobed 18 year old with pierced nips and then immediately dump a jug of cold water on it, so props for that.

The Dresden Files books are... problematic to say the least (the fact that the scene in question ends with "nope, not having sex" really doesn't make up for how lecherous the lead-up is, and in general the series is pretty lousy with regard to its female characters. And the less said about the non-white members of the high council of wizards the better). I read them back when I was much younger and stupider, and even I noped out pretty hard when Harry became the Winter Knight, which brought out the "darkest aspects of his personality" which mainly turned out to be him constantly thinking about how easy it would be to rape the women around him.

(And while it's not nearly on the same level, the term "the Nevernever" for the realm wot monsters come from is just incredibly dumb.)

Fortunately, like I said, there's enough kitchen-sink urban fantasy stuff in the RPG to kitbash into something else. Or just, y'know, not be a huge creepo if you do use the Dresden Files setting.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Monsters come from rural Australia?

Checks out.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Loomer posted:

Monsters come from rural Australia?

Checks out.

I was unaware that that was a term for the Outback.

I kind of hate it a little less now.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

GimpInBlack posted:

The Dresden Files books are... problematic to say the least (the fact that the scene in question ends with "nope, not having sex" really doesn't make up for how lecherous the lead-up is, and in general the series is pretty lousy with regard to its female characters. And the less said about the non-white members of the high council of wizards the better). I read them back when I was much younger and stupider, and even I noped out pretty hard when Harry became the Winter Knight, which brought out the "darkest aspects of his personality" which mainly turned out to be him constantly thinking about how easy it would be to rape the women around him.

(And while it's not nearly on the same level, the term "the Nevernever" for the realm wot monsters come from is just incredibly dumb.)

Fortunately, like I said, there's enough kitchen-sink urban fantasy stuff in the RPG to kitbash into something else. Or just, y'know, not be a huge creepo if you do use the Dresden Files setting.

tbf i gave up after getting to the fifth book and somehow managing to read it twice without realizing i had just finished reading it. does the game have mechanics for how beat down Harry always managed to get by about the halfway point? because that got repetitive.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

tbf i gave up after getting to the fifth book and somehow managing to read it twice without realizing i had just finished reading it. does the game have mechanics for how beat down Harry always managed to get by about the halfway point? because that got repetitive.

It does, actually. In essence, Harry spends the first half of the book building up FATE points and taking complications, then burns through it all at the end.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

GimpInBlack posted:

What I remember is that for all it's "everything is real" urban fantasy setting, Christianity did seem to be the top dog.

I kept thinking one of the holy swords should be Zulfikar.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

I ride bikes all day posted:

It does, actually. In essence, Harry spends the first half of the book building up FATE points and taking complications, then burns through it all at the end.

Honestly, given the formulaic hard-boiled detective novel structure of all of the Dresden Files books, Technoir would be a better system than Fate.

MonsieurChoc posted:

What I remember is that for all it's "everything is real" urban fantasy setting, Christianity did seem to be the top dog.

I kept thinking one of the holy swords should be Zulfikar.

Eh... from what I recall, the God of Abraham is present and a major power player, but not the be-all and end-all. The Swords of the Cross are ostensibly powered by the nails from the Crucifixion, but every time they turn up the books do go out of their way to say the Swords respond to goodness and faith in something that aims for the betterment of humanity that doesn't have to be Jesus.

Plus you've got Odin and other mythological figures running around; all in all, the vibe I got was more one of " all gods talk themselves up as the real power of the universe" than "the Ancient of Days is the real, true, supreme deity."

But I could very well be misremembering, it's been a long time since I read the books.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

A lot of 90s urban fantasy (Vampire/WoD included!) had a theoretically huge kitchen sink with Odin and whatnot (it’s always Odin, because he’s slightly more indie than Zeus) but the Abrahamic Monotheistic God was hanging around somewhere being the creator of things and generally benevolent. Gaiman tended to have that somewhere in the background.