Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

Could be on the lowest setting and made harder by adding weight.

Then why use the dip assist machine to begin with?

Probably the only suitable place to do dips in the gym. Doing weighted dips on an assisted dip machine is pretty common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

SelenicMartian posted:

But can you cook steak with depleted uranium?

Yes but they're called "grunts" and you usually get court martialed for it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Powershift posted:

I've never been to a gym, my strength comes from physical labor. it never occurred to me that someone would need assist doing dips considering it's such a basic human movement. Are there ladder climbing assist machines, too?

If you're a computer toucher who weighs a bunch more than he should, and also you want to either practice the motion of it (not that it's that hard, but still) or it's your first time in the gym and you don't want to be embarrassed by only being able to do 1 rep, the assisted dip machine is a god send.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PittTheElder posted:

If you're a computer toucher who weighs a bunch more than he should, and also you want to either practice the motion of it (not that it's that hard, but still) or it's your first time in the gym and you don't want to be embarrassed by only being able to do 1 rep, the assisted dip machine is a god send.

Also, most assisted dip machines (including the one pictured) are also assisted pull-up machines, and more people tend to need assistance with pull-ups.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiSIrQkTQQM&t=573s

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

How have only a few people died so far trying to do stupid youtube stunts/"science" shows? (3:25 in that video is also pretty bad procedure for getting the scent of an unknown chemical.)

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/KxkTNw1.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

aw hell naw

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Aramoro posted:

Probably the only suitable place to do dips in the gym. Doing weighted dips on an assisted dip machine is pretty common.
i have never seen it

what is the point of doing weighted dips on the assist machine, with the assist engaged? if you cant do body wieght dips, you shouldnt graduate up to the weighted dips

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zoolander 3 is looking rather Spartan.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Literally watching with my mouth agape like come on.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

He’s got a cone out

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

What the actual gently caress.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i'm actually curious, it's a solvent, does gasoline lift oil stains?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Yes, gasoline is a terrific solvent. My guess is that he's actually spraying diesel fuel.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Yeah it's really good for that.

in sub-500mL quantities that you then scrub the oil with

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

So like how dangerous IS gasoline, really? Some dude started screaming about how I was going to kill us all for smoking in a gas station parking lot which seemed a little extreme to me. It's not like I was smoking at the pump or anything.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

So like how dangerous IS gasoline, really? Some dude started screaming about how I was going to kill us all for smoking in a gas station parking lot which seemed a little extreme to me. It's not like I was smoking at the pump or anything.

The vapors are the main fire hazard. They ignite pretty easily, but would need an actual spark or open flame. A lit cigarette on its own isn't hot enough.

Gasoline is a mixture of a whole bunch of ill-defined toxic compounds. You don't really want to be around it if you can help it.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
why does it smell so good and why would him spraying deisel be less explode-y

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Deteriorata posted:

The vapors are the main fire hazard. They ignite pretty easily, but would need an actual spark or open flame. A lit cigarette on its own isn't hot enough.

No, but a cigarette lighter usually is.

Lighting up a new cigarette is a far greater risk than driving up with a lit one.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

It’s not the gas you gotta worry about but the vapors. And up until today, I would’ve never said “gas puddles” but after watching that video, gas puddles.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

why does it smell so good and why would him spraying deisel be less explode-y

Gasoline is more volatile. It vaporises faster and ignites more readily. Diesel is more oily.

Diesel shouldn’t ignite with a spark below 50 °C (122 °F). Spill some on a hot engine and it could go off, but gasoline will ignite even at −40° (same on both scales).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7soVqyGq4i4

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 3, 2019

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
I was refueling at a gas station the other night when a dude in a very fancy cadillac escalade rolled up, threw it in park, got out, fueled up like 20+ gallons, and left without ever turning it off. It felt like that should be kinda stupid and dangerous, but also the lady manning the kiosk was like "v:shobon:v" so oh well

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

We would routinely fill our diesel ambulances while running but maybe that's different than gas. I didn't die so it must have been right :v:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'd imagine the danger in that situation has nothing to do with the fuel itself, just the fact that there's a running vehicle with nobody inside to control it. After all, nobody panics if they're pumping gas and the car right next to them starts up and pulls out

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Everyone should always be panicking in their car. There's a gas tank several feet from their engine at all times!

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Lobsterboy posted:

I was refueling at a gas station the other night when a dude in a very fancy cadillac escalade rolled up, threw it in park, got out, fueled up like 20+ gallons, and left without ever turning it off. It felt like that should be kinda stupid and dangerous, but also the lady manning the kiosk was like "v:shobon:v" so oh well

I jumpstarted a coworkers car that had alternator trouble and also she was basically out of gas. I told her to drive to a gas station and fill her car with it running. She said "there's things that tell you not to do that" and I responded that she'd likely need a jump again if she turned her car off, at which point you're messing around with sparking cables and poo poo. I was also like "yeah they say not to, but if it was actually dangerous dangerous, there'd be interlocks on the gas cap by now." Like, if opening that little door and unscrewing the cap was legitimately likely to blow up the car, it wouldn't let you do that. Or at least the warnings would be way more severe.

Obviously not something to do routinely. One time out of necessity is an acceptable risk I thought.

She lived

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Uncle Enzo posted:

I jumpstarted a coworkers car that had alternator trouble and also she was basically out of gas. I told her to drive to a gas station and fill her car with it running. She said "there's things that tell you not to do that" and I responded that she'd likely need a jump again if she turned her car off, at which point you're messing around with sparking cables and poo poo. I was also like "yeah they say not to, but if it was actually dangerous dangerous, there'd be interlocks on the gas cap by now." Like, if opening that little door and unscrewing the cap was legitimately likely to blow up the car, it wouldn't let you do that. Or at least the warnings would be way more severe.

Obviously not something to do routinely. One time out of necessity is an acceptable risk I thought.

She lived

When is your trial for attempted murder?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/HW5gLFv.mp4

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

someone found a cool way to go blind and maybe lose a finger while they were at it using a 120 year old generator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrwDH--cu3Q

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Late to the chlorine chat but there was this clip from that youtube that seemed terrifying

https://gfycat.com/tepiddefensiveasiaticgreaterfreshwaterclam

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BurgerQuest posted:

Late to the chlorine chat but there was this clip from that youtube that seemed terrifying

https://giant.gfycat.com/TepidDefensiveAsiaticgreaterfreshwaterclam.webm

Does that work for people? gfycat seems pretty fucky as to whether it will embed or not.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Working on mobile, couldn't work it out posting from desktop!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Memento posted:

Does that work for people? gfycat seems pretty fucky as to whether it will embed or not.

As a person which has half of the web broken thanks to my crusty browser settings, it works fine for me. Which means you should probably fix that.

Also regarding the gif: Yikes

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
https://i.imgur.com/zYdLgOV.mp4

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

The crowd look blown away but it just seems like a load of hot air to me

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

GotLag posted:

The crowd look blown away but it just seems like a load of hot air to me

Yea it's a load of hot air. Plus all the debris that seems to be flying around that's probably not too pleasant. I mean the force is enough to blow over the fencing, some rocks and dirt probably would hurt quite a bit.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Uncle Enzo posted:

She lived

You can also just push the car off the fuel court and use the jumper cables farther away

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I left a rake leaning against the back door yesterday and promptly walked out at 5am this morning and Sideshow Bob'd myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/BillRatchet/status/835273815227777025