Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I've said it before and I'll say it again polls are total poo poo, utterly meaningless
but boy, they feel good when they're going the way you want them to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

We've just slogged through the past 5 years of every poll of every major political motion being wrong to hilarious degrees. Please stop touching the stove.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

His Divine Shadow posted:

It was the second. I really thought it was pretty clear myself? She wasn't a billionaire was she?
Nah but solidly middle class, I just saw a "killing good actually" in response to "a bad killing happened" and had an immediate :wtc: reaction

Carry on

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
stop talking poo poo about poles that’s how we got in this brexit mess to begin with!!!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

We've just slogged through the past 5 years of every poll of every major political motion being wrong to hilarious degrees. Please stop touching the stove.

I will never stop poll-touching

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

gh0stpinballa posted:

yeah but evo won the election, and regardless of how clean or dirty the electoral process is there, the actual nazis opposed to him will always view him as illegitimate. because they are nazis. he's right to do a little trampling.

It doesn't appear to be an unambiguous victory - Bolivia has a runoff system with a margin trigger, and it seems plausible that his opposition would win a runoff election from the look at the official results, since the opposition vote is fractured. Morales didn't even officially beat 50%+1, a far cry from his previous bitterly-fought third term election majority

(why does Bolivia have a runoff? Because plurality systems with split votes themselves were prone to yielding contested mandates, with ensuing political violence and instability; hence since the 1970s there has been a general trend toward runoffs systems across Latin America. Winning an outright up-down vote is critical due to the endemic instability and deep distrust. See also: the French Third Republic... )

All free countries have clowns on the fringe and worse... I do come from a country myself where mainstream government stooges and/or heroic dissidents alike will even voice the most vile antisemitism without hesitation and absolutely without any irony (many Muslim countries are like that). But what matters is whether these forces are relevant. Do leaders listen to what they say? Can they force narrow votes in their favour? One can find many a gleeful Le Pen activist sporting a yellow vest over in Paris but this does not, itself, discredit the entire protest movement; and of course standards must be suitably lowered for countries with with limited press freedom and endemic political violence and corruption.

Not all political dispute is sensibly interpreted in apocalyptic left-right terms - most countries are not Weimar Germany. The Bolivian problem has the mundane question of Morales's attempt to juggle indigenous constituencies (who traditionally practice slash-and-burn agriculture) with business constituencies (who export beef) has, instead of these maintaining a compromise, run headlong into environmental constituents:

quote:

Mr. Morales, who is running for a controversial fourth term, dismissed environmentalists’ concerns and marches in five cities as the “electoral nuisance of small groups.” One of his cabinet ministers, Juan Ramón Quintana, ruled out the declaration of a national disaster, claiming the fires were not uniform and did not affect enough people. Chiquitanos say the president intentionally let forests burn to ashes because the region holds little electoral value for him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/24/opinion/bolivia-amazon-fires.html

and it is these, not Nazis, who appear to be the marginal vote that have cost Morales his previous 62% majority. As you point out, Nazis are going to be Nazis regardless. Beware of "little tramplings"...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

I do come from a country myself where mainstream government stooges and/or heroic dissidents alike will even voice the most vile antisemitism without hesitation and absolutely without any irony
This is bad for Jeremy Corbyn?

ronya posted:

Not all political dispute is sensibly interpreted in apocalyptic left-right terms - most countries are not Weimar Germany. The Bolivian problem has the mundane question of Morales's attempt to juggle indigenous constituencies (who traditionally practice slash-and-burn agriculture) with business constituencies (who export beef) has, instead of these maintaining a compromise, run headlong into environmental constituents:
Him letting cocaleros grow coca on the foothills of the Andes instead of hiding in wooded areas has saved an absolute ton of protected woodlands though, more than any juggling of other indigenous practices.

In contrast, areas which permit the DEA to operate are directly causing high levels of deforestation. Whatever he's doing with beef farming it can't be more harmful than that.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Jedit posted:

You think? Then tell me what this basic level German sentence means: "Sie sind sehr gut".

I don't speak German, but this looks like a good response to your post that covers what I would have said:

feedmegin posted:

I mean, 'you are very good' is also differently ambiguous in English. Do you mean me personally, or also the people standing next to me?

Is German perfect? No. :sadhitler:

But by "the Germans manage to keep on top of their language" I was referring to the German Orthography Reform of 1996, which happened when a good friend of mine was around 10. She found it annoying but understood why it had to happen and would not be against another one occurring. Even though changes to spelling would be inconvenient for her, having spent the last couple of decades getting used to the current version.

This sort of thing has not really happened to English with any success for a century, and as a result the language is an unwieldy mass of contradictory rules and spellings, many of which do not match how people pronounce the words. It also has an awful word order that frequently places the most important word for understanding at or near the end of a clause. I think English is fantastic for art - for instance the unhelpful word order is great for comedy, as you can lead an audience one way and then shove them in another direction suddenly with a punchline. But it's bloody terrible for actually getting anything done. Frankly I think it's a cruel cosmic joke that it's the lingua franca (Latin for French language), thus forcing many poor souls to learn it as a second language, and struggle with all the silly poo poo that we think is perfectly sensible because we grew up with it ;)

To get an idea of one way this might be done, see the appendices of the historical text 1984, written by another great man named Blair.

But of course we can never do spelling reform because Howe Dare thee Fucke with thine Quene's Language thou accursèd Swine? Also, why do you hate BRITANE you traiter? Also, the Imperial System was good enough for me so you're not getting spelling reform you lazy millenials! :byodood: :britain:

Braggart fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 3, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I had heard that both the reformed spellings like program and catalog and the original French spellings of programme and catalogue were in common use in 18th century England, with Northerns and commons preferring the former and Southerns and booj preferring the latter, but the unreformed became standard English not out of any correctness, but because during the Regency Era printers usually charged by the line, so they had a perverse incentive to make those correct.

I'm not sure of the truth of that, it sounds very urban legendy, but it also sounds very British.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Braggart posted:

Wait, Nigel Farage isn't standing? I wonder if he sees the actual Brexit Party candidates as useful idiots setting themselves up for a fall while he takes most of the publicity? All 650 of them, because that's what Nige said is going to happen. But none of those seats appeal to Nige. But he will be on the BBC a whole lot, you can be sure of it. The wonders of the trickledown trough!

:mrapig:

Enjoy Nigel Farage's spitty crumbs, fellow porkers!

He'd need to give up the sweet MEP gig he has now to become an MP, which would pay less and give him less excuse to do gently caress all. With Farage you can always rely on him to take the most profitable grift.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

xtothez posted:

He'd need to give up the sweet MEP gig he has now to become an MP, which would pay less and give him less excuse to do gently caress all. With Farage you can always rely on him to take the most profitable grift.

Which is why I used a picture of a pile of Euro notes :D

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Plus that sweet lifetime euro pension.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Does anyone want some charts? The general patterns won't be particularly surprising to most of you but they're interesting to see

https://twitter.com/undertheraedar/status/1190955123062784001

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Guavanaut posted:

I had heard that both the reformed spellings like program and catalog and the original French spellings of programme and catalogue were in common use in 18th century England, with Northerns and commons preferring the former and Southerns and booj preferring the latter, but the unreformed became standard English not out of any correctness, but because during the Regency Era printers usually charged by the line, so they had a perverse incentive to make those correct.

I'm not sure of the truth of that, it sounds very urban legendy, but it also sounds very British.

Capital appearing to grudgingly make concessions to the working class in the interests of its continued existence rather than just pinning itself to the bourgeoisie is extremely on brand for the FTs mutterings in the run up to this election :v:

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

That's because (outside of Yorkshire and Mormonism) we got rid of the thou/you distinction like idiots, and (outside of the American South and Scouseland) refused to replace it with an appropriate plural you.

The only kind of acceptable language reform: making it less useful ;)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

speLyng ist ay tiranee upon thee mynd un thee sole.

ye free beinge dost wryte as they'll like.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Angepain posted:

Do we go with theys or th'all? important decisions for the next generation

We should hold a referendum, and you can only vote if you've retired and therefore earned the right.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

thespaceinvader posted:

Speak for yourself, I'm fully on board with y'all as being a super useful gender neutral way of saying 'you people here'.

i find "y'all" really cringe tbh

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

speLyng ist ay tiranee upon thee mynd un thee sole.

ye free beinge dost wryte as they'll like.

þats wot i Sedd tu my Ynglush teetcher butt þay Fayled mee :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh gently caress we should definitely bring back futhark spelling.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

This is bad for Jeremy Corbyn?

In 1985, the anarchist James Scott wrote a careful and detailed analysis (and/or apologia) for the Islamic Party of Malaysia as a form of class struggle, which was totally not displaced anarchist indignation at the self-serving way the West was protesting the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan

(he is perhaps better known for his more successful Seeing like a State, which focuses on upland Indochina instead)

This has nothing to do with Jeremy Corbyn, it's just funny.

Guavanaut posted:

Him letting cocaleros grow coca on the foothills of the Andes instead of hiding in wooded areas has saved an absolute ton of protected woodlands though, more than any juggling of other indigenous practices.

In contrast, areas which permit the DEA to operate are directly causing high levels of deforestation. Whatever he's doing with beef farming it can't be more harmful than that.

Are you sure about that? The wonderful thing about the legality is that it allows the use of industrial processes to clear forests - the completely legal import, maintenance, and deployment of heavy machinery, with highways to remove spoil and and move cattle. This is orders of magnitude greater than stealthily cropping patches in the mountains far away from prying eyes. Even in Guatemala, which has much easier access to US trafficking routes, the majority of forest loss is driven by the sort of agricultural produce it is perfectly legal to consume - this is noted in the paper you cite.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Aye, but much like with you, it can be useful to have a specific plural.

I agree, it would be very useful to have plural Raritys :)

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

gh0stpinballa posted:

i find "y'all" really cringe tbh

Same, American shite. Use “yous” instead

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/RidgeOnSunday/status/1190952807756632069

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

thespaceinvader posted:

Speak for yourself, I'm fully on board with y'all as being a super useful gender neutral way of saying 'you people here'.

A friend from South Carolina once explained to me that "y'all" was singular, the plural was "all y'all" :v:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

intense "camp counsellor embezzling the milk money" vibes from swinson tbh

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

According to her Bio she is an aspiring purveyor of Jewish breads. This is a cultural appropriation and hence an anti-semitism.

Yes, even if she's Jewish. This is bad for Corbyn.

E: This is a good source: https://medium.com/@nadinebatchelorhunt_/30-examples-of-antisemitism-in-the-uks-conservative-party-9e7801b1b427

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

is there a big jewish baking tradition outside of matzoh?

E: oh yeah bagels forgot about them.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

gh0stpinballa posted:

intense "camp counsellor embezzling the milk money" vibes from swinson tbh

:lol:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

"it's labelled on there what the question is", yes because literally everyone who sees a leaflet will be analysing the small print for potential statistical meddling, this is a normal activity that most voters will bother to do, no ethics problems here no

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The problem with the government announcing an intention to end the benefits freeze is that it reminds people that benefits have been frozen and therefore cut in real terms. It's a phenomenal self own during an election campaign

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Braggart posted:

I agree, it would be very useful to have plural Raritys :)

Sacrilege! I am unique!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

That last line is a delicious unintentional self-own :allears:

Someone with video editing skills cut out all the middle and turn it into a meme

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Libdem graphs expressed in the universal medium of MIWK.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Why are Lib Dems so obsessed with milk?!

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
devil's advocate: Swinson isn't entirely wrong from the LD point of view. They're assuming that politics has restructured entirely around Brexit and Leave / Remain, in which case the good council and EU election results for LD in that district might become a better predictor than the 2017 result, and the graph almost (with a bunch of twisting around in the ol' brainpan) makes sense - Full Remain vs Full Leave and we don't understand what Labour are doing and neither does anyone else.

Would I like to bet on this? No I would not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This insanity about "well based on the EU elections we can predict the outcome of the general election" while ignoring that UKIP/BXP keeps winning loads of seats in the EU elections.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Not So Fast posted:

Why are Lib Dems so obsessed with milk?!

Trying to entice Gapes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Rarity posted:

Sacrilege! I am unique!
You might say you're a rarity :dadjoke: