Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I used to argue a lot on Facebook with a guy that said that the only reason the Confederates lost the war was because the Union had so much more men and materiel that they overwhelmed the South, even though the Union generals were "all like Zapp Brannigan"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

gradenko_2000 posted:

I used to argue a lot on Facebook with a guy
why tho

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

it was 2011 and I was a lot dumber

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
https://twitter.com/DavidAstinWalsh/status/1190640943453671425

I'm ruined by pop culture and thought Star Trek. Is the Female Changeling #GirlBoss?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pirate Radar posted:

waiting for his next big venture, WeLive

TheyLive.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

gradenko_2000 posted:

I used to argue a lot on Facebook with a guy that said that the only reason the Confederates lost the war was because the Union had so much more men and materiel that they overwhelmed the South, even though the Union generals were "all like Zapp Brannigan"

I mean that's not exactly wrong, although the real reason was that the Union could keep the South under blockade and any hope the Confederates had of dragging in Europe fell when Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Feldegast42 posted:

I mean that's not exactly wrong, although the real reason was that the Union could keep the South under blockade and any hope the Confederates had of dragging in Europe fell when Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation

And iirc the letter from a Union general specifically warned of that, 'Doesn't matter how well you fight, you know we can steamroll you with men and materiel right?'

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

it was 2011 and I was a lot dumber

Just lmao if this timeline made anyone smarter

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Feldegast42 posted:

well yeah but this was supposed to be a devastating rebuttal? like, okay, you're going up against a nation much stronger than your own, why did you even do that, of course you were going to lose

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

gradenko_2000 posted:

well yeah but this was supposed to be a devastating rebuttal? like, okay, you're going up against a nation much stronger than your own, why did you even do that, of course you were going to lose

the south was populated by liches

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

they may have started a war that they couldn't possibly win, but at least they did it for the worst possible reasons

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

SplitSoul posted:

Dogs are "unclean" in Islamic tradition, but there's no rule that says to hate them - Muhammad is said to have redirected his army to avoid disturbing a dog with a litter of puppies - and whether they're kept as pets or work animals depends entirely on local culture. Like the pork thing, the diseased mind thinks it makes them Muslim kryptonite somehow.

I was catching up and this is from awhile ago but I think I know the actual answer to this. Zoroastrianism really likes dogs, like a ton, and most of islam’s early enemies were zoroastrian. It’s a super interesting religion and some people still practice it. In fact the greatest concentration of worshippers is actually in India!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I was catching up and this is from awhile ago but I think I know the actual answer to this. Zoroastrianism really likes dogs, like a ton, and most of islam’s early enemies were zoroastrian. It’s a super interesting religion and some people still practice it. In fact the greatest concentration of worshippers is actually in India!

Wasn't Zorostrianism granted honorary "Religion of the Book" status at some point?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rofl a true patriot

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Who is ready for the Daddy Trump phase of the DPRK situation?

https://twitter.com/djpwertz/status/1190837898142244865

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
haha aw, he's like the fat kid from Up, but with nukes

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Dogs being vilified in Islam is only like 200 years old, I doubt Zoroastrianism has much to do with it.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/smoothposer/status/1190722344853086208

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

hes going full gnome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWWz4y1coU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Pirate Radar posted:

waiting for his next big venture, WeLive

That's literally the name of their residential condo program, often in the same building as a WeWork so you don't even have to go outside if you don't want to

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1190721212957306880?s=21

https://twitter.com/parkermolloy/status/1190788641125216256?s=21

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
the trump kids getting hosed up by michael jackson is awful it's got me laughing so hard i can hardly breathe

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidAstinWalsh/status/1190640943453671425

I'm ruined by pop culture and thought Star Trek. Is the Female Changeling #GirlBoss?

flush your sleeping boss down the toilet

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

this is another one of these connections that this universe totally could have done without

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is pretty dumb especially given how the Confederate side seemed to have no strategic plan for how to win the war.

It was all stupid hail mary stuff like if we win enough battles maybe countries like the UK will help us out even though they banned slavery.

The Union side by comparison had a coherent top level strategy (the anaconda plan) that played to strengths like having a actual blue water navy.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And iirc the letter from a Union general specifically warned of that, 'Doesn't matter how well you fight, you know we can steamroll you with men and materiel right?'

Iirc that was William T Sherman himself :sherman:

In his earlier years in the military he worked as a surveyor in Georgia so he knew a thing or two about the state of the southern economy

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

the same could be said about the revolution. Washington had no credible plan to beat the British militarily and was successful mostly in not losing and keeping an army in the field and through some daring but strategically insignificant victories. the war was won diplomatically by bringing the French in and ultimately by the French naval victory at the battle of the Chesapeake preventing reinforcement or retreat at Yorktown.

the confederates thought they could do the same with the power of the cotton. they thought the blockade would work in their favor, the supply of cotton hurting Britain and thus bringing them into the war. They were wrong both because they underestimated the support for abolition in Britain and also they assumed the american South was singular in its ability to produce cotton. When Egyptian cotton took southern cottons place, any economic leverage the confederacy had disappeared.

And even then it took Sherman and Grant grinding the Confederate army into poo poo to force a surrender...which was bitterly received and practically overturned in less than 20 years.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Teal posted:

this is another one of these connections that this universe totally could have done without

It's not the connection we needed, but it's the one we deserved

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cool dance moves posted:

Iirc that was William T Sherman himself :sherman:

In his earlier years in the military he worked as a surveyor in Georgia so he knew a thing or two about the state of the southern economy

He was also a the first superintendent of what would later become LSU.

His background gave him insight into southern culture which probably helped to cuck them during the actual war like realizing the culture puts a big focus on false bravado.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

it's fun to look at videos of people fighting cops. it's cool. don't worry about it.

https://twitter.com/MExasperated/status/1188519944134287368

Quotin so i can find it easier

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

KoRMaK posted:

Quotin so i can find it easier

Weird how succ pervades that D&D too

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

how about no books by any white people

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

WeSleep :hmmyes:

Teal posted:

look at this trot not wanting people to read capital, smdh

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Teal posted:

yes but well off white women think they're on the same side as the oppressed people of the world so buy this crap off amazon you loving rube

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
please can everyone explicitly state their gender, race and ethnicity in their avatar so I know which posts to avoid?

mtf/white/slav

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Peanut President posted:

look at this trot not wanting people to read capital, smdh

wasn't Marx Jewish?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

gradenko_2000 posted:

wasn't Marx Jewish?

his father converted and like most people of his time he did not have a good opinion of Jews so I guess he wouldn’t consider it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Teal posted:

please can everyone explicitly state their gender, race and ethnicity in their avatar so I know which posts to avoid?

mtf/white/slav

I identify as a good CSPAM post maker