Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

This insanity about "well based on the EU elections we can predict the outcome of the general election" while ignoring that UKIP/BXP keeps winning loads of seats in the EU elections.

The EU elections are for completely different candidates on completely different issues in a completely different system. You'd do just as well basing your predictions on who's winning Strictly.

Is Strictly a voting show? I think it is but I've never actually watched it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Samovar posted:

Trying to entice Gapes?

Thank you for the vivid mental image of mike gapes doing a striptease with two big fans made out of empty 2l milk bottles stuck on his fingers.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

CGI Stardust posted:

devil's advocate: Swinson isn't entirely wrong from the LD point of view. They're assuming that politics has restructured entirely around Brexit and Leave / Remain, in which case the good council and EU election results for LD in that district might become a better predictor than the 2017 result, and the graph almost (with a bunch of twisting around in the ol' brainpan) makes sense - Full Remain vs Full Leave and we don't understand what Labour are doing and neither does anyone else.

Would I like to bet on this? No I would not.

Do you think the Lib Dems might have an incentive to claim to hold this belief? ;)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

HauntedRobot posted:

A friend from South Carolina once explained to me that "y'all" was singular, the plural was "all y'all" :v:

Fortunately this is a descriptive language.

Tenebrais posted:

The EU elections are for completely different candidates on completely different issues in a completely different system. You'd do just as well basing your predictions on who's winning Strictly.

Is Strictly a voting show? I think it is but I've never actually watched it

Partially. The viewers vote for the bottom two (combined in some manner with the judges' scores), then the judges pick the one who leaves, except in the final where it's pure viewer vote. And in the christmas show which is filmed in October or something, so it's just audience votes.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

gh0stpinballa posted:

intense "camp counsellor embezzling the milk money" vibes from swinson tbh

A dark and extreme Bearsden & Milngavie energy

Seriously, I can’t even begin to explain how apt this is to non Glasgow folk

Lmao

OwlFancier posted:

Thank you for the vivid mental image of mike gapes doing a striptease with two big fans made out of empty 2l milk bottles stuck on his fingers.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

The problem with the government announcing an intention to end the benefits freeze is that it reminds people that benefits have been frozen and therefore cut in real terms. It's a phenomenal self own during an election campaign

Domino Cummies, everyone! :golfclap:

Also the rest of the out of touch cunts.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Someone just point out in the replies to that Ridge clip that even in a two horse race between the Lib Dems and Tories, 8% would still vote Labour

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Braggart posted:

Do you think the Lib Dems might have an incentive to claim to hold this belief? ;)
Incentive to claim? Yes. Incentive to actually believe? Also yes. Hard to tell.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

Are you sure about that? The wonderful thing about the legality is that it allows the use of industrial processes to clear forests - the completely legal import, maintenance, and deployment of heavy machinery, with highways to remove spoil and and move cattle. This is orders of magnitude greater than stealthily cropping patches in the mountains far away from prying eyes. Even in Guatemala, which has much easier access to US trafficking routes, the majority of forest loss is driven by the sort of agricultural produce it is perfectly legal to consume - this is noted in the paper you cite.
Pretty sure, because even though you're right that the further north you go, the more likely it is that the deforestation is 'secondary deforestation', i.e. money laundering for traffickers, the first article also makes it clear that this is comparatively recent and due to US-led interdictions in the Caribbean, making the strong case that if Jamaica et al had made the same case as Morales, that the safety of foreign agencies could no longer be guaranteed (know what I mean guv) then this would not be happening.

On the differences between regulated agricultural as in Bolivia and clandestine as in Colombia I'd challenge that the former is larger in quantity or inherently more destructive. The cocaleros are only growing in the Andes foothills, not in the Amazon basin, and the amount that each family can grow is regulated by the collective to a cato (~1.6km²).

Since doing that, coca production has decreased, cocaine production (one of the least efficient uses of coca leaf) has plummeted, and in general crime and police violence is down. Compare that to the inefficient and scattered coca farms of Colombia and the deforestation due to clandestine labs.

CIFOR 20 year deforestation in Bolivia is now one of the lowest in the region, mostly from commercial logging, and mostly in the early 90s (although it has regrettably made a comeback in the past couple years).

OwlFancier posted:

is there a big jewish baking tradition outside of matzoh?

E: oh yeah bagels forgot about them.
It's a rising art (except at Passover).

OwlFancier posted:

Ban this sick filth.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

CGI Stardust posted:

Incentive to claim? Yes. Incentive to actually believe? Also yes. Hard to tell.

Well I would argue that whether individual Lib Dems actually believe it or they are just lying for short term advantage is irrelevant to us. And also to them ;)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/josephmdurso/status/1190324617879212039?s=19

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I'd point out that people were making the same argument about gay men until a few decades ago, and before that they were making the same arguments about black men. The "predator" argument is a naked attempt to dehumanise and otherise vulnerable groups, it's bigotry and your friend is a oval office

As I said, they aren't my friend, I merely work in the same building as them.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Why is she pointing at a studio flat worth £500k in London?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Oh my. Is anyone currently in Photoshop working on Jo Swinson's Stop Brexit Bus? :D

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
has corbyn and labour talked specifically about the paradise papers in this election push?

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

bump_fn posted:

has corbyn and labour talked specifically about the paradise papers in this election push?

remember when the journalist who exposed it died in a car bombing

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Corbyn and McDonnell have alluded to it, the latter usually as his biting retort to the "magic money tree" jeer "we found the magic money tree, it's in the Caymans"

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

gh0stpinballa posted:

remember when the journalist who exposed it died in a car bombing

yeah this is why i’m mad more politicians aren’t yelling about it all the fuckjng time

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

This is such a libdem concern. Is there also a photo of her pointing at a dog poop?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

Pretty sure, because even though you're right that the further north you go, the more likely it is that the deforestation is 'secondary deforestation', i.e. money laundering for traffickers, the first article also makes it clear that this is comparatively recent and due to US-led interdictions in the Caribbean, making the strong case that if Jamaica et al had made the same case as Morales, that the safety of foreign agencies could no longer be guaranteed (know what I mean guv) then this would not be happening.

On the differences between regulated agricultural as in Bolivia and clandestine as in Colombia I'd challenge that the former is larger in quantity or inherently more destructive. The cocaleros are only growing in the Andes foothills, not in the Amazon basin, and the amount that each family can grow is regulated by the collective to a cato (~1.6km²).

Since doing that, coca production has decreased, cocaine production (one of the least efficient uses of coca leaf) has plummeted, and in general crime and police violence is down. Compare that to the inefficient and scattered coca farms of Colombia and the deforestation due to clandestine labs.

CIFOR 20 year deforestation in Bolivia is now one of the lowest in the region, mostly from commercial logging, and mostly in the early 90s (although it has regrettably made a comeback in the past couple years)

At its peak 38,000 hectares was devoted to coca farming in Bolivia. This includes illegal coca farming.

For comparison, deforestation per year is measured in hundreds of thousands of hectares. Agriculture is measured in millions of hectares. When Bolivia wants to bet on the Chinese appetite for beef, it legislates to clear 4.5 million hectares more in ten years. I confess I am just baffled by your perspective on the relative scales of things here.

The claim in the Davalos paper is that cocaleros are insignificant as a deforestation contributor. Legal agriculture - mechanized agriculture and cattle ranching - are the main drivers. Limits imposed by upland village collectives are irrelevant; this is good ole' enclosure a la Volume I, staffed heavily by internal migrants.

The strategy pursued by Morales is not new. It is unsurprising that an administration prioritizing economic growth and self-sufficiency would pursue infrastructure fuelling export growth.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Braggart posted:

Oh my. Is anyone currently in Photoshop working on Jo Swinson's Stop Brexit Bus? :D

Not the bus, but

---

Also
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1190986936602832896
Cum Dom pulling numbers from his secret arse.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 3, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

how do i get myself on this trial or have i missed my chance

https://www.healtheuropa.eu/project-twenty21-providing-medical-cannabis-to-patients/92129/

edit: its here https://myaccessclinics.co.uk/ but also I can't afford it

Jose fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 3, 2019

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
That's a bit of a ripoff unless theyre giving everybody green crack

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Not the bus, but

Winning there :golfclap:

Pesky Splinter posted:

Also
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1190986936602832896
Cum Dom pulling numbers from his secret arse.

"Fewer than 5 people have access to Cummies' election model."

Zero people have access to the model because he lost it somewhere and pulled something out of his arse up to cover it up. The result was slightly more accurate.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Based on how badly Jo Swinson handled that interview I can only assume that she hadn't heard about the chart and assumed that it was put out by the national level Lib Dems instead of a local one. And she thought it was her head on the block.

She could easily have dodged responsibility if she just said it wasn't a very good chart and that she's going to talk to them about it. Now she made their local lovely chart her own chart.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Poison Jam posted:

That's a bit of a ripoff unless theyre giving everybody green crack

Weed for some, miniature union jacks for others

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Another one gone lmaoooo

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18011699.ross-thomson-stand-mp-candidate-following-latest-allegations/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

At its peak 38,000 hectares was devoted to coca farming in Bolivia. This includes illegal coca farming.

For comparison, deforestation per year is measured in hundreds of thousands of hectares. Agriculture is measured in millions of hectares. When Bolivia wants to bet on the Chinese appetite for beef, it legislates to clear 4.5 million hectares more in ten years. I confess I am just baffled by your perspective on the relative scales of things here.

The claim in the Davalos paper is that cocaleros are insignificant as a deforestation contributor. Legal agriculture - mechanized agriculture and cattle ranching - are the main drivers. Limits imposed by upland village collectives are irrelevant; this is good ole' enclosure a la Volume I, staffed heavily by internal migrants.

The strategy pursued by Morales is not new. It is unsurprising that an administration prioritizing economic growth and self-sufficiency would pursue infrastructure fuelling export growth.
The amount of cleared forest caused by secondary deforestation that has resulted directly from US led interdiction in the Caribbean is far larger than the amount of primary deforestation caused by the actual coca farming, but is still caused by it, it seems unfair to ignore those externalities.
But even if we do then the Colombian system of small moving coca farms in the forests that get periodically hosed with defoliants from the air by the DEA causes far more damage than either the Bolivian system or a pure hectare based analysis of the crop.

It's not the plant is itself, it's telling the DEA to :dogout: that saves forests.

Maybe not as much as regulating mechanized agriculture, but it adds up (and the thread has already established that agriculture was the greatest human mistake).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1191011518458089472?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/AndrewBartletta/status/1190997981618671617?s=19

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Guavanaut posted:

The amount of cleared forest caused by secondary deforestation that has resulted directly from US led interdiction in the Caribbean is far larger than the amount of primary deforestation caused by the actual coca farming, but is still caused by it, it seems unfair to ignore those externalities.
But even if we do then the Colombian system of small moving coca farms in the forests that get periodically hosed with defoliants from the air by the DEA causes far more damage than either the Bolivian system or a pure hectare based analysis of the crop.

It's not the plant is itself, it's telling the DEA to :dogout: that saves forests.

Maybe not as much as regulating mechanized agriculture, but it adds up (and the thread has already established that agriculture was the greatest human mistake).

That article is packed full of typos to the point of being distracting.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1190920113194749952

Conspiring to beat up a journalist is probably not even in the top 50.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

The choice of coca approach is irrelevant - even in the maximally Plan Dignidad period, Bolivian coca agriculture was never a significant component of agriculture. We are not talking sixty percent, thirty percent. The correct order of magnitude to hold in one's mind is less than 1%.

It was an outsized factor in Bolivian society because, for obvious reasons, it is a stellar producer of hard currency when exported. Hence, the surplus product is fantastic and said product gets diverted to societal enrichment (and politics). It could sustain middle-class aspirations on labour/capital levels that would normally imply a subsistence quality of life. Even cash crops face fierce competition, tight margins, and the iron law of the Prebisch-Singer tendency of the relative price of primary products to fall, but coca is immune to being subject to heavy mechanization with high capital inputs at stake for self-evident reasons. But absolutely don't mistake it for environmental relevance. The orders of magnitude matter here.

Even further north, consider this diagram, based on the paper you linked:

Secondary deforestation is not a force because of coca agriculture itself, iasmuch as because timber logging is a suitable front for money laundering. When there are easier mechanisms for money laundering - here that noted country of many Papers - narcotics promptly ceases to be a driver

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Same, American shite. Use “yous” instead

Yinzers delenda est

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

Conspiring to beat up a journalist is probably not even in the top 50.

I got into an argument with someone about this because he refused to accept it wasn't a joke and when I said you can listen to the recording started making excuses that you can't see their body language

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
just ran into some labour canvassers when I was out for a walk and got the guys number :thumbsup:

Im not a huge fan of chatting to random people, but Ive done it a few times before and it wasn't actually too bad from what I remember

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

speaking of MI5 cunts, i see james bloodworth got owned again this weekend

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jose posted:

I got into an argument with someone about this because he refused to accept it wasn't a joke and when I said you can listen to the recording started making excuses that you can't see their body language

You could also bring up that he has a slew of bastard children, he's been caught cheating on pretty much every girlfriend and wife he's had and even pushed the women he cheated with to get abortions, he has been fired twice from the press for being caught out on blatant lies (One of which was him using his uncle to land a front page story where he just made up quotes hoping his uncle would be too embarrassed to call him out on it) and is, by all accounts, just a massive oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Well flavible.com isn't a real thing but if they mean .co.uk then ???