Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Zotix posted:

I get that. In a way I sort of feel for the development team a bit. So D3 is pretty watered down all things considered, and players complain that it really don't require any thought, and they want more in-depth systems. So then players go take a look at PoE's systems, and immediately become overwhelmed. So I guess talent trees are some sort of a middle ground, but poo poo, talent trees just get min-maxed near immediately and really don't offer much in the way of customization so who knows?

I think to a lot of people talent trees feel better, even if there isn't a lot of real choice just because there's more stuff that looks like choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You guys seem pretty Gloom & Doomy when Diablo has been the best handled property at Blizzard for years. It’s the least predatory game model that have currently and even if the team is small theyve still been dedicated to making it funnier and funnier.

I want to clarify that I think Blizzard sucks poo poo but the Diablo team seems pretty cool.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Bust Rodd posted:

You guys seem pretty Gloom & Doomy when Diablo has been the best handled property at Blizzard for years. It’s the least predatory game model that have currently and even if the team is small theyve still been dedicated to making it funnier and funnier.

I want to clarify that I think Blizzard sucks poo poo but the Diablo team seems pretty cool.
Sorry, I'm just here to poo poo my pants about a game 3+ years away.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Gloom & Doomy
Isn't that how it's supposed to be? After all, the main announcement panel was basically just them yelling DARK over and over and there appears to be very little actual colour anywhere. :v:

But for serious, they just slung a bunch of buzzwords at us that amount to "we're making Diablo 2.5 this time for reals" and I just ain't got time for that poo poo anymore.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I hope people complain it's too dark and gloomy this go around so we get a bonus level that's pitch black and full of enemies that are just blood/puss boils with legs. Of course, they explode on death.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Khorne posted:

Hard disagree. Classic D2 is just as good as xpac. It's even better in some ways. I still play hardcore classic ladder sometimes. Grinding chaos and the exp curve and lack of out scaling the content is way more fun than xpac's "you're just an immortal god who decimates everything instantly" once you're geared. I will say that xpac is more fun before you are geared and for speed runs, and xpac allows you to do more than play sorc/hdin/barb. Classic has a more "psuedo-mmo" feel to it.
I almost like D3's aesthetic more in some ways. The teal fog effect in the D4 demo looks awful. D3's aesthetic has some visual flaws in some areas, but how d3 looks has never been my problem with the game.

D3s look feeling repetitive I think comes from how you are forced into precisely 3 activities that all expose you to a completely random slice of the environment/maps. Being able to pick a change of scenery when you got bored of one areas did a lot to not make the game feel like a monotonous slog. It means you burn out on the visual look as a whole and nut just get nauseated from seeing the pit for the 1000th time

Bust Rodd posted:

'best handled' is certainly generous, but yeah historically the least predatory, albeit probably because in 2008 exploititive loot boxes and poo poo was not a mainstream (or even fleshed out really) part of the gaming business model.

Zotix posted:

I get that. In a way I sort of feel for the development team a bit. So D3 is pretty watered down all things considered, and players complain that it really don't require any thought, and they want more in-depth systems. So then players go take a look at PoE's systems, and immediately become overwhelmed. So I guess talent trees are some sort of a middle ground, but poo poo, talent trees just get min-maxed near immediately and really don't offer much in the way of customization so who knows?

Given how many people play POE, that they're basically running a money printing press, and how good their retention is, I think the crazy skill tree is a plus by a long shot, especially now that there are 5,000 guides walking you through building your first hella op character.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 3, 2019

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

The problem is Diablo 3 is considered a massive failure by Blizzard because it isn't a predatory lootbox whale farm. It was basically abandoned after RoS and what little we've gotten since (notably the Necro pack) have been bits and pieces from the second expansion that will never see the light of day. There's absolutely no reason to assume D4 will be run or designed well when all the reasons the remaining players like it is because of stuff the corporate fucks hate. :ssh:

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I'm pretty excited for D4. The intro scene looked pretty amazing. I like the throwbacks to d2 with talent trees and rune words. Maybe they bring in the body parts that were cut from d1. Make it gruesome.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Bust Rodd posted:

I cant wait until they ruin all of this.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Asimo posted:

The problem is Diablo 3 is considered a massive failure by Blizzard because it isn't a predatory lootbox whale farm. It was basically abandoned after RoS and what little we've gotten since (notably the Necro pack) have been bits and pieces from the second expansion that will never see the light of day. There's absolutely no reason to assume D4 will be run or designed well when all the reasons the remaining players like it is because of stuff the corporate fucks hate. :ssh:

Yeah, of all the takeaways to have about Blizzard's treatment of Diablo 3, "success" shouldn't be one of them.

At best the game's state suggests that after Blizzard put it on life support, the life support team clearly gave a drat. There's no support to the idea that Blizzard as a whole does and if they saw more money to be made in D3 they'd have been chasing it with the same predatory frenzy Activision Blizzard monetizes all their big earners.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Xarbala posted:

Yeah, of all the takeaways to have about Blizzard's treatment of Diablo 3, "success" shouldn't be one of them.

At best the game's state suggests that after Blizzard put it on life support, the life support team clearly gave a drat. There's no support to the idea that Blizzard as a whole does and if they saw more money to be made in D3 they'd have been chasing it with the same predatory frenzy Activision Blizzard monetizes all their big earners.

They have, but just in China. It feels like the only reason they didn't roll China's market to NA/EU was because of the RMAH failure and that they put it on life support after RoS.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Xarbala posted:

the same predatory frenzy Activision Blizzard monetizes all their big earners.
just looked into pricing for Modern Warfare earlier

$60: the "game", plus campaign packs 1 and 2, the multiplayer pack, and "special operations pack 1" (i.e. the actual game is already split up into content packs rather than it being eased into later via DLC which of course is coming)
$80: plus some cosmetics and maybe early perk unlocks
$100: plus 3,000 in-game currency and nothing more, it's just +$20 = +ephemeral game bucks

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Diablo 3 was one of the most successful games of all time at more than 30 million copies sold.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Diablo 3 was one of the most successful games of all time at more than 30 million copies sold.

[if you include a sale of Reaper of Souls as an extra sale of Diablo 3]

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

We know, and Activision Blizzard knows. But Activision Blizzard doesn't care. Large initial sales only mean so much, they care very much more about long term monetization.

There's a reason they killed the second planned expac and folded the leftovers into a moderately-sized free update for Adventure mode. That's not how they treat what they consider to be a success.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FFT posted:

[if you include a sale of Reaper of Souls as an extra sale of Diablo 3]

Still top 50 if you cut it in half.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's genuinely kind of hosed up when you remember how much of a smash hit Diablo 3 was and see how Blizzard treats it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Probably missed out on another 15-20mil copies of D3: weird blood ghost guy expac. Man I still wanna know who that guy was and why we had to beat him up besides for a bounty cache.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Probably missed out on another 15-20mil copies of D3: weird blood ghost guy expac. Man I still wanna know who that guy was and why we had to beat him up besides for a bounty cache.

I first played through the story after that dude was added and

it really doesn't help

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Accuse children card game celebrities of adultery and I will not shut the fuck up about it. LSV did not cheat on his wife. He found love in another woman's vagina like Garfield intended.
Diablo 3 got essentially the same attention post release as Diablo 2. One expansion and then basically nothing following, which was the way nearly every blizzard game operated to that point outside of world of warcraft. It isn't nearly as strange as some of you are making it out to be. Yeah, there was a planned expansion that got scrapped but it's a lot more likely that it got scrapped because they decided to start working on D4 than anything else. Thinking they couldn't figure out how to further monetize a game that sold 30+ million copies when PoE was -right there- showing them exactly how it could be done is kind of laughable. They decided not to do so, probably because of market research telling them D4 would be more profitable, but definitely not because they couldn't loving figure out how to sell cosmetic bullshit for :10bux:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Granstein posted:

Diablo 3 got essentially the same attention post release as Diablo 2. One expansion and then basically nothing following, which was the way nearly every blizzard game operated to that point outside of world of warcraft. It isn't nearly as strange as some of you are making it out to be. Yeah, there was a planned expansion that got scrapped but it's a lot more likely that it got scrapped because they decided to start working on D4 than anything else. Thinking they couldn't figure out how to further monetize a game that sold 30+ million copies when PoE was -right there- showing them exactly how it could be done is kind of laughable. They decided not to do so, probably because of market research telling them D4 would be more profitable, but definitely not because they couldn't loving figure out how to sell cosmetic bullshit for :10bux:

If PoE's (overall good) monetisation model was on top of an upfront purchase it'd be the same exploitative poo poo that ActiBlizz and every other major publisher is trying these days.

It definitely would've worked but I'd like to think it would've turned off a lot of the playerbase at the same time.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I just finished watching the Systems and Features panel and although it is obvious they have tons of poo poo they have yet to flesh out, what they've shown so far actually has me really excited about the game. They've brought back a lot of the great things about D2 + D3 and they are expanding on those features. Key Dungeons are basically Mythic+ as well which is great. Plus I like the art style and I'm sure the game will look considerably better by the time it's actually out in 2025.

The Ol Spicy Keychain fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 3, 2019

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Ultra-noob question incoming...

These D4 trailers got me thinking about D3 again. I played it a bit when it came out but it was too easy, and harder difficulties weren't open. All these great monsters are attacking me and spiked barriers are slamming into me and it all looks amazing but it barely even registers on my HP. So I lost interest because I didn't feel like playing I don't know how many hours before it gets challenging.

Has anything changed since?

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Accuse children card game celebrities of adultery and I will not shut the fuck up about it. LSV did not cheat on his wife. He found love in another woman's vagina like Garfield intended.

Steve2911 posted:

If PoE's (overall good) monetisation model was on top of an upfront purchase it'd be the same exploitative poo poo that ActiBlizz and every other major publisher is trying these days.

It definitely would've worked but I'd like to think it would've turned off a lot of the playerbase at the same time.

I agree completely, but I'm just saying that it was a clear way to go if that was their aim. There are people in this thread who seem to think they gave up on D3 because they couldn't figure out how to make more money off it, which is just...not true.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Doctor Malaver posted:

Ultra-noob question incoming...

These D4 trailers got me thinking about D3 again. I played it a bit when it came out but it was too easy, and harder difficulties weren't open. All these great monsters are attacking me and spiked barriers are slamming into me and it all looks amazing but it barely even registers on my HP. So I lost interest because I didn't feel like playing I don't know how many hours before it gets challenging.

Has anything changed since?

Oh totally. You can pick whatever difficulty you want now and play at a pace you enjoy.

Until you've geared up at max level and can shred t16.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Granstein posted:

Hey bub you’re making a lot of reasonable points with easily verifiable evidence, that’s NOT how we do things here in the Blizzard Subforum.

But yeah they were like “let’s just fold our final content wave into the base game so we can all focus on our Chinese Mobile game” makes way more sense to me than some corporate suit going “huh literally one of the top ten highest selling games of all time? WHO GIVES A poo poo!”

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Is there a reason that people keep acting as though c-level execs are capable of rational, let alone human, thought? D3 sold on account of massive nostalgia and all of us chomping at the bit for new Diablo content, and the tiny amount of ~game~ that we got in the years after was basically fluff. Don't forget that they started making a Diablo shlooter that they then scrapped, which I'm sure totally didn't take resources away from d3.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Where is Zoltun Kulle for the season quest? Most google results are about the cube but I already have him in town. Other google results just say "Act II" which doesn't narrow it down enough.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

PathAsc posted:

Is there a reason that people keep acting as though c-level execs are capable of rational, let alone human, thought? D3 sold on account of massive nostalgia and all of us chomping at the bit for new Diablo content, and the tiny amount of ~game~ that we got in the years after was basically fluff. Don't forget that they started making a Diablo shlooter that they then scrapped, which I'm sure totally didn't take resources away from d3.

How many hours have you played Diablo 3?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
D3 sold 30 million copies entirely on the merits of D2. If D2 was a fresh IP it would've been a sales disaster.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Herstory Begins Now posted:

D3 sold 30 million copies entirely on the merits of D2. If D2 was a fresh IP it would've been a sales disaster.

But that doesn’t explain the 10 million copies of Reaper of Souls sold. It’s almost like people actually LIKED this game!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Seems like that would explain it perfectly: they lost 2/3s of their diehard fans over the d3 release fiasco

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Diablo 3 continued to sell really well on consoles where people had no prior relationship to the series. The Switch port is one of its top sellers from this year. It's a super mega popular game on its own merits.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Seems like that would explain it perfectly: they lost 2/3s of their diehard fans over the d3 release fiasco

Wikipedia posted:

As of August 2014, Diablo III and Reaper of Souls have combined sales of 20 million copies. As of June 30, 2015, Diablo III and Reaper of Souls have combined sales of 30 million copies.

A huge chunk of the sales for D3 came after RoS released.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
It sounds odd but a 1/3 attachment rate for an expansion on a non-MMO game is actually very good. A lot of people never bother with any kind of post launch stuff, unless they play like FIFA or some poo poo.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Goons just NEED Diablo 3 to have been a failure despite literally all the evidence indicating it was, and is, extremely popular and beloved.

Also I reject the idea that D3 sold entirely based on D2’s nostalgia, I played D2 and wasn’t nostalgic for it and basically everyone who plays it below the age of 30 probably has no recollection of Diablo 2 as anything other than “that game where you killed the same boss over and over and over forever”

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bust Rodd posted:

Goons just NEED Diablo 3 to have been a failure despite literally all the evidence indicating it was, and is, extremely popular and beloved.

Also I reject the idea that D3 sold entirely based on D2’s nostalgia, I played D2 and wasn’t nostalgic for it and basically everyone who plays it below the age of 30 probably has no recollection of Diablo 2 as anything other than “that game where you killed the same boss over and over and over forever”

Especially given that every Diablo 2 fan decried everything about D3 as a disgusting mutilation of their precious grey brown game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly the most exciting thing about the D4 footage is how evocative of Diablo 1 it looked and felt to me. Diablo is the game that I’m actually nostalgic for, Diablo 2 almost IMMEDIATELY descended into a game about its secondary economy, and after I hit Inferno I uninstalled Diablo 3 until the day they patched out the Auction House.

Yeah these forums were full of people with RMAH botting success stories, but that doesn’t change the fact that if your game revolves around real world money, it’s dogshit.

Hopefully Diablo IV will just have Overwatch style loot boxes with cosmetic pets, wings etc and leave it at that.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

Honestly the most exciting thing about the D4 footage is how evocative of Diablo 1 it looked and felt to me. Diablo is the game that I’m actually nostalgic for, Diablo 2 almost IMMEDIATELY descended into a game about its secondary economy, and after I hit Inferno I uninstalled Diablo 3 until the day they patched out the Auction House.

Yeah these forums were full of people with RMAH botting success stories, but that doesn’t change the fact that if your game revolves around real world money, it’s dogshit.

Hopefully Diablo IV will just have Overwatch style loot boxes with cosmetic pets, wings etc and leave it at that.

I'm with you on the style d4 looks to have. It looks dark as gently caress. Hope evangelicals get extra huffy puffy about any TV ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

The Sean posted:

Where is Zoltun Kulle for the season quest? Most google results are about the cube but I already have him in town. Other google results just say "Act II" which doesn't narrow it down enough.
To kill him? Go here -

and take the central portal to the Soulstone Chamber.

You can hover over the little demon head next to some waypoints to find the boss-level mob that's accessible there. (Belial, Adria, etc) if you're still leaning where they're all at.

tetsuo fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 3, 2019