Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
On the news, they reported that 90% of parents steal some of their kid's trick or treat candy when they're not looking.

I think that number's bullshit. There's no way it's anything less than 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Renegret posted:

On the news, they reported that 90% of parents steal some of their kid's trick or treat candy when they're not looking.

It's irresponsible not to take your children's candy. You want them to eat that pile of sugar by themselves and turn into fat, greasy goons like us?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Good-Natured Filth posted:

It's irresponsible not to take your children's candy. You want them to eat that pile of sugar by themselves and turn into fat, greasy goons like us?

We went around with a family member with a 2 y/o last night.

The entire time, we didn't get candy from people saying, he's too young for a candy, it's weird to ask for candy just for us. Also the entire time, we were both secretly annoyed at each other for not being the one to run up and ask for free candy as a grown rear end adult.

Then I woke up for work this morning and found our candy bowl completely empty. Truly this is the darkest timeline.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

zonohedron posted:

Careful what you wish for, you could end up with a kid like my younger son, who until he was a little over four would flatly deny that he had pooped even if his pullup or diaper was swollen with excrement and the smell was perceptible throughout the house.

Well, that's just not what I wished for at all! I say! :monocle:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Our one-year-old had been sleeping through the night for at least a month, but this last week he's started waking up after about for hours (so around 11 and around 4). Is this just something we're going to have to suffer through for x amount of time?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

hooah posted:

Our one-year-old had been sleeping through the night for at least a month, but this last week he's started waking up after about for hours (so around 11 and around 4). Is this just something we're going to have to suffer through for x amount of time?

Yep. There are more sleep regressions after the major ones during infancy, going into toddler months. Think we hit one around 12 months also. If it's any consolation, I don't remember the sleep regressions after 1 being nearly as terrible as the 4mo one, but ours is just 18mo himself.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Renegret posted:

The other 10% just take it while they're looking.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Kiddo turns 4 soon, and unlike some of you this last-of-three has been good. He talks back more, and we've had a few meltdowns, but that is almost all offset by his ability to handle his own stuff now. I'll take the occasional meltdown in exchange for being able to hand off 2 or 3 instructions and have them followed.

And in being proud of normal developmental stuff, I handed out candy to the kiddos yesterday and only got a handful of "Trick or Treats" from the kids. Most of them were too shy. I'm so proud my kid did a great job of asking for candy with a loud and direct TRICK OR TREAT followed by a loud Thank you. So proud.

His hand-me-down tablet is getting long in the tooth, so I bought a discount kid-friendly tablet to replace it. Looking forward to getting the stink eye from other parents when he unwraps that in front of their children a month before Xmas. Muwahahaha.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

life is killing me posted:

Yep. There are more sleep regressions after the major ones during infancy, going into toddler months. Think we hit one around 12 months also. If it's any consolation, I don't remember the sleep regressions after 1 being nearly as terrible as the 4mo one, but ours is just 18mo himself.

See, I don't really remember any regressions with our first (she's four now), so this is all new and super fun.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

hooah posted:

See, I don't really remember any regressions with our first (she's four now), so this is all new and super fun.

Singing *every kid is different* to myself as I drink a jug of wine.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

PerniciousKnid posted:

Singing *every kid is different* to myself as I drink a jug of wine.

My 9mo is still working through his 4 month regression.

I haven't slept in months.

Someone please save me

I'm dying

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

“Sleep regressions never end.”

-me, father of one-year-old

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

nwin posted:

“Sleep regressions never end.”

-me, father of one-year-old

“Sleep is a myth.”

-me, father of one-and-a-half-year-old

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
"What, sleep is a problem?"
- Me

Seriously though when she's congested like this I can kinda understand what the rest of you must have been going through. Lots of wakies and it's no fun to get up in the morning...

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Pro tip:

If you lay down inside baby jail and take a nap, it still counts as playing with your baby.

I mean, you'll wake up with soggy clothes and mysterious wet spots on your body, but that's a small price to pay.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Need some help with my sons cold which is turning into a nasty cough at night.

My son (1 year old) got a pretty nasty cold on Sunday (6 days ago). We were at the doctor on Monday for his one year appointment and the doctor said it was just a cold, and to keep up with humidifier, saline nose spray, babyfrida, and keeping fluids in. We thought he was teething at first so we tried Motrin to help him out, but he would start hacking when we gave that to him and cough so much that he would puke. The doctor said it was likely because the Motrin is too thick and isn’t mixing well with his mucous and is causing him to vomit, so maybe try to avoid the Motrin.

Anyways-fast forward to today (Friday) and he’s over most of the cold except for the following over the last three days:

He’ll cough occasionally during the day, sometimes to the point where he really gets going and it’s almost like he’s hacking up mucous. If he does this after eating it sometimes causes some spit up. At night though, he’ll start out sleeping fine, but then a few hours in he will stay asleep but just cough a whole bunch during the night, like for hours off and on. He stays asleep most the time, and during the day he’s a happy baby with minimal coughing.

Reading online it says night coughs are normal and coughing can last up to two weeks with a cold. He’s not vomiting uncontrollably, he’s not wheezing, and it doesn’t sound like whooping cough, but what else could it be? Is this something to be concerned about?

I had the same cold as him and I’m doing better today. I’ll occasionally cough at night or during the day, but it’s only for a few coughs. However, I can blow my nose and get rid of the mucous, where he can’t do it as easily, so maybe that’s why it persists?

cailleask
May 6, 2007

nwin posted:

Need some help with my sons cold which is turning into a nasty cough at night.

My son (1 year old) got a pretty nasty cold on Sunday (6 days ago). We were at the doctor on Monday for his one year appointment and the doctor said it was just a cold, and to keep up with humidifier, saline nose spray, babyfrida, and keeping fluids in. We thought he was teething at first so we tried Motrin to help him out, but he would start hacking when we gave that to him and cough so much that he would puke. The doctor said it was likely because the Motrin is too thick and isn’t mixing well with his mucous and is causing him to vomit, so maybe try to avoid the Motrin.

Anyways-fast forward to today (Friday) and he’s over most of the cold except for the following over the last three days:

He’ll cough occasionally during the day, sometimes to the point where he really gets going and it’s almost like he’s hacking up mucous. If he does this after eating it sometimes causes some spit up. At night though, he’ll start out sleeping fine, but then a few hours in he will stay asleep but just cough a whole bunch during the night, like for hours off and on. He stays asleep most the time, and during the day he’s a happy baby with minimal coughing.

Reading online it says night coughs are normal and coughing can last up to two weeks with a cold. He’s not vomiting uncontrollably, he’s not wheezing, and it doesn’t sound like whooping cough, but what else could it be? Is this something to be concerned about?

I had the same cold as him and I’m doing better today. I’ll occasionally cough at night or during the day, but it’s only for a few coughs. However, I can blow my nose and get rid of the mucous, where he can’t do it as easily, so maybe that’s why it persists?

I didn’t think my kid had whooping cough until it turned out no, he had whooping cough. The gasping inhale is called a whoop. If it’s more seal-bark it could be croup though. I had a hard time telling them apart until we got well into the second week of it which... is not a croup timeline.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

cailleask posted:

I didn’t think my kid had whooping cough until it turned out no, he had whooping cough. The gasping inhale is called a whoop. If it’s more seal-bark it could be croup though. I had a hard time telling them apart until we got well into the second week of it which... is not a croup timeline.

I dunno-he’s had all his vaccinations and it doesn’t seem like it’s whooping cough.

It’s like when you have a cold and you have some phlegm you’re trying to cough up. He’ll do two-three quick coughs in succession, like he’s trying to hack up whatever phlegm is there.

Reading online it seems like this is normal, but this is probably the worst cold he’s ever had, and he’s never coughed at night like this so it’s all new to me.

I think I got it from him and it’s definitely the worst cold I’ve had in a long time.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

My son did something similar where he would vomit after going to bed after a coughing fit and the doctor said something about it being a cold..a couple years later we had to get surgery since it was a sinus infection that never cleared out with antibiotics. It wasn't confirmed until several CT scans at the ent

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Did this cold give him unusual amounts of snot? You might have could RS virus like us. In that case he'll be fighting more phlegm that in a usual cough but it shouldn't be too much trouble for a 1-year old.

Did you do the old trick with raising the top end of his bed? Like putting a few thick books under the legs. It might help with the cough if it's caused by mucus.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah I'm thinking RSV also, which is basically a cold if you gave the cold virus steroids and an Affliction t-shirt and told it your kid was hitting on its girl

e: Try taking him into your smallest bathroom and turning on the shower on its hottest setting. The steam should help a decent bit in breaking up the mucus.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 2, 2019

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Edit: tr-r-ripple post

nwin fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 2, 2019

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Edit: triple post

nwin fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 2, 2019

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Did this cold give him unusual amounts of snot? You might have could RS virus like us. In that case he'll be fighting more phlegm that in a usual cough but it shouldn't be too much trouble for a 1-year old.

Did you do the old trick with raising the top end of his bed? Like putting a few thick books under the legs. It might help with the cough if it's caused by mucus.

His snot that has been coming out of his nose has been clear the entire time. Meanwhile mine started clear and is now yellow.

I don’t think an unusually high amount of snot has come out of him though.

The bed trick doesn’t work because he changes positions so much and he usually sleeps on his stomach.

I still think one problem is he’s just not able to cough up his phlegm and get rid of it like you and I can. When he does, if it’s anytime after eating, then lots of formula can come up with it.

Is RSV something that requires antibiotics or anything?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'd give him Benadryl, partly because that's the only thing that ever works for me as an adult. Particularly if you've tried everything else.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'd give him Benadryl, partly because that's the only thing that ever works for me as an adult. Particularly if you've tried everything else.

Yep-we’ve been doing Benadryl at night which helps a bit. It’s also thinner than the other stuff so it goes down a little easier.

My wife is really on the zarbees/honey cold medicine train. She thinks it’s making a difference but I’m not so sure.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Sounds like what my daughter recently went through (also 1 year old). Urgent care said she only had bronchiolitis, because for whatever reason they wouldn't test her for RSV.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

When ours had deep hacking coughs and "tummy breathes", where you see his belly moving in and out with each breath, our doctor recommends using albuterol with a nebulizer 3x a day (it mists the medicine so he gets the steam too). There's an oral version, but you don't get the steam benefit. Takes like 20 minutes per dose, so it's kind of a pain, but it works wonders at opening him up and preventing bronchitis.

Humidifiers can also be helpful at night. Old wives tale, but baby Vicks on the feet, back and chest also seemed to help a bit.

Definitely saline spray and nose suck often too, especially before meals, nursing, meds, and bed.

Once they get older and can blow their nose it gets better. We had our two year old blowing by himself. I showed him how I blew so hard on the tissue that it made a hole (cheat and tear when they can't see). He was very motivated to do the same and we now don't have to worry about him. Still having to do the routine with the 11 month old though...

Douche4Sale fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 2, 2019

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

nwin posted:

RSV is a virus, so antibiotics won't help. Paracetamol might help with some of the discomfort.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

nwin posted:

Nah. RSV is a virus, like the common cold, and like the common cold we can only treat the symptoms and wait. Small babies (like <3 m) are really sensitive though because the amount of mucus means they have trouble breathing which means they use up too much energy and don't have enough to spend on eating, too. Even most small babies can ride out RSV fine at home, but you've got to watch for lethargy and lack of eating + peeing because they may need hospitalization to get fluids. So, in your case nothing to worry about for a one-year old.

The color of the mucus changes from clear or white to yellow to nearly green and meanwhile gets progressively thicker. That's the normal progression of any common cold, I think. The color comes from the amount of dead/spent white blood cells, as I've understood it, which get progressively more numerous as your body beats the virus.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

nwin posted:

I dunno-he’s had all his vaccinations and it doesn’t seem like it’s whooping cough.

It’s like when you have a cold and you have some phlegm you’re trying to cough up. He’ll do two-three quick coughs in succession, like he’s trying to hack up whatever phlegm is there.

Reading online it seems like this is normal, but this is probably the worst cold he’s ever had, and he’s never coughed at night like this so it’s all new to me.

I think I got it from him and it’s definitely the worst cold I’ve had in a long time.

My kid (and everyone else in the house) is also fully vaccinated. The vaccine is about 90% effective.

I hope that’s not it! But if the cough keeps up more than a week, I’d make a point to raise it as a possibility. I had to insist the pediatrician swab my kid after appointment #3 and 9 days with no diagnosis and continuing significant phlegmy cough.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Thanks for the advice everyone-he’s doing better today but we’ll see what tonight brings. He’s coughed a few times since he went to sleep an hour ago but it didn’t last long.

Sidenote: what about children’s vaporub?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

nwin posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone-he’s doing better today but we’ll see what tonight brings. He’s coughed a few times since he went to sleep an hour ago but it didn’t last long.

Sidenote: what about children’s vaporub?

We like it. Bottom of feet, chest, and back are great. Just keep their hands away so they don't eat it or get it in their eyes.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
What age would you guys show your kids The Princess Bride?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

This isn't really an answer, but I don't really think too much about showing my kids my favorite media. I guess I figure they'll see it whenever I'm in the mood to rewatch it. I feel like if I'm trying to showcase the classics, I'll overdo it and/or just get frustrated when they don't appreciate it.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Maybe 5 or 6? The torture scene and the ROUS might be a little intense for littler kids, but you know your wee ones and what they find scary.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

This isn't really an answer, but I don't really think too much about showing my kids my favorite media. I guess I figure they'll see it whenever I'm in the mood to rewatch it. I feel like if I'm trying to showcase the classics, I'll overdo it and/or just get frustrated when they don't appreciate it.

On the flip side my mom showed me a bunch of classic 80's teen movies (as well as princess bride and other pop-culturally significant movies) and I'm really grateful.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

On the flip side my mom showed me a bunch of classic 80's teen movies (as well as princess bride and other pop-culturally significant movies) and I'm really grateful.

Oh, my kids will still see this stuff, I'm just trying not to think about it/build it up/get my hopes up.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
If my children don’t think that Raiders Of the Lost Ark is one of the greatest movies ever, they’re dead to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

PerniciousKnid posted:

I tend to overthink stuff. Mainly I just want to make sure a. That it won't frighten them too much (a bit is OK) and b. It won't sail in its entirety over their heads (some of it inevitably will - they don't have to get every layer or anything).

Sweet Custom Van posted:

Maybe 5 or 6? The torture scene and the ROUS might be a little intense for littler kids, but you know your wee ones and what they find scary.

Yeah, although the ROUS is faintly ridiculous, the abruptness of the attack is quite startling, and a crap puppet is less obvious to a small kid. The torture scene and the disfigurement discussion (Westley's "to the pain" bit near the end) were question marks in my mind.

My youngest is 5 and a half, eldest is (practically) 8. I think the older one will love it. In fact she's been asking to watch it since I mentioned it a while back. Younger one will probably enjoy it - it does have a lot of excitement after all, and he does fencing at school at the moment, which dovetails nicely with that duel. He may get restless at some parts, but not the end of the world. He can pick next time.

I showed them both Labyrinth last weekend. Both loved it. Princess Bride has some more grown-up stuff in it though, and is a special film, so I wanted to not rush it if it was too early. Probably fine though.

I think I was between their ages when I first saw it, on its release. True to the initial lack of success, my friend, his mum and me were the only people in the entire cinema.