Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Am I reading that right that the chaos legions suppliments are all in the one faith and fury book rather than separate? I hope they get something approaching the love the new chapter ones got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Rano Pano posted:

Speaking of intervening church glass; something must be said about the Exorcists gunner/organist

Looks like they're mining some old John Blanche stuff:

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

I'm very hype over the fact that the new Mephiston model looks like they sculpted it form the old Angels of Death codex artwork done by Mark Gibbons, probably my favourite piece of art of him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Our local GW store has a new manager. Is high turnover common?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Dawgstar posted:

I rarely go to GW proper but the two stores nearest to me have had the same managers for as long as I can remember. And I'm old.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Dawgstar posted:

High turnover is pretty common in high street retail generally due to low pay, and GW aren't known for being an exception. They've always pushed the staff discount as a bigger benefit over a real wage, which for some people might be a good thing. Anyone wanting to buy a house or start a family probably isn't going to stick around, though.

Mr Teatime posted:

Am I reading that right that the chaos legions suppliments are all in the one faith and fury book rather than separate? I hope they get something approaching the love the new chapter ones got.

I wouldn't be surprised for some of this stuff to get fleshed out in separate releases later on. GW have done it before by putting rules in last year's CA or Vigilus books that would be part of the new Marine / Sisters codexes. I can totally see them doing say a proper Black Templar supplement with the same rules from PA2 plus new models. Maybe the same for the legions too.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
The two new SoB tanks are beautiful but also a bit... Busy?? Like i think they'd be perfect as lord of wars, but having up to 3 of each on the battlefield could be a little much.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Tiger Millionaire posted:

The two new SoB tanks are beautiful but also a bit... Busy?? Like i think they'd be perfect as lord of wars, but having up to 3 of each on the battlefield could be a little much.

One can never be too busy for their faith in the Emperor. :commissar:

I would definitely vary the bitz and cherubs from tank to tank, but I personally love them. The only thing I question is the weirdly rusted grill/heretic-catcher on the front of the tank, but if that’s my only complaint I’m good.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

jng2058 posted:

The tricky part about Custodes is that there are so few flat 3D weapons to be had. 2D is all over the place for when you want to kill Primaris or Terminators, but 3 is in that grey zone between anti-infantry and anti-tank that's just a pain. And of course the Allarus take that up to four wounds which is straight into anti-tank. You need volume of fire, and you need it focused on one unit at a time until it dies.

The advantage you've got is that he can't Deep Strike everything (half his army has to start on the board), and from what you've mentioned he doesn't seem to have any jetbikes, so a lot of his stuff is going to have to walk to get to you. On the other hand he's almost certainly going to Deep Strike the Termies and the Assassin as close as he can get on Turn Two.

Your overwhelming priority (aside from playing the objectives, which is also good because Custodes have low unit counts) is to keep them out of melee with your big guns.

Depending on how the deployment zones are set up, then, I'd suggest using your Skitarii as a screen with a big gap between them and the guns you care about. You're trying to make sure that they can't DS in and charge your stuff that matters, and when they murder all your Skitarii in melee that they can't consolidate right into to your Robots or Dunecrawler. You need as much time to shoot them down as you can arrange.

You could also consider some deceptive deployment, such as setting up one unit of Skitarii all the way on one side of the board in a screen formation, then your second drop is a second screen on the other corner, then see which way he puts his footsloggers, and put your big guns on the other side. That's only valid if the unit counts make sense though. If you're deploying first it may not work if it goes Skitarii, Allarus in DS, Skitarrii, Allarus is DS, then you drop a character (which tips off which side is your real base), followed by a Guard unit as close to that base as possible. On the other hand, if he's deploying first, and/or only has one Allarus squad, then it could go (best case) Allarus in DS, Skitatii, Custodes Guard close to those Skitarii, second Skitarii on the other side of the board, leaving him the choice to either double up on the first unit, or split to face the second unit as well, either of which lets you keep most of your big guns pretty far off from those spears.

You're gonna need good dice, no matter what though. If he makes enough saves, or you don't wound him enough in the first place, you're screwed. But with such a low model count army, it doesn't take many blown rolls to lose it all. You just need to keep piling on the fire until either he drops dead or he gets you into melee, in which case you've probably lost. :shrug:

Come back and tell us how it went, I'm slightly invested in this now.

Thanks, this is good advice. I'll try the fakeout screening thing, I have a lot more squads to deploy than he does so I think I'll be able to keep him guessing as I drop 5-man Skitarii units until he runs out of Custodians. I've had enemies consolidate into robots before and I'm super wary of it now, those things are probably the most consistent shooting I have against Custodians (s6, ap-2, d1) so I'll want to keep them firing all game.

I'll report back in a week!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The two new SoB tanks are beautiful but also a bit... Busy??

I think the idea is to present a completely overwhelming pile of church imagery when you put the army together. Individual pieces may seem weird, but the overall appearance will be like a fluid, fighting cathedral.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

I’d expect a lot of the fancy accoutrements to be optional, so that you can make the tanks look a bit plainer and share the accessories out among other bits/buildings/old vehicles to spread the SoB theming across the whole army.

I hope, anyway.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

moths posted:

I think the idea is to present a completely overwhelming pile of church imagery when you put the army together. Individual pieces may seem weird, but the overall appearance will be like a fluid, fighting cathedral.

Yeah I'm really digging it. Everything is like over the top vestments and poo poo, that's their whole deal.

It was like my new to 40K friend saying Necrons look boring because they all look the same. It's like, yeah, that's their whole deal. They are minimalist mass produced robots.

The Sisters are like the opposite, every person in theory is adorned and decorated as if they were part of a fanatical church.

You don't have to like that, it's fine, and realistically there's loads of ways you could make the models look more boring even if it involves cutting bits off or sanding bits down.

Regarding GW stores years ago I did apply for a job in one in the UK and basically their whole thing was "you work in your local stores for a couple of years and then we move you to be a manager of a store somewhere else". The impression I got is you then get moved every couple of years to bigger and busier stores, and eventually you either run the flagship or end up at the HQ.

My local store manager actually went to a tournament with me and I met some of his friends who worked in the HQ. He eventually left the local store and now organises the events in Nottingham.

Might be different in other countries but here the expectation is you don't just stick in one place.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

https://hand-made-object.com/product/guilliman-vs-chaos-space-marine-diorama/

This seems like a reasonable purchase as a tasteful coffee table decoration. Turns out the price of guilliman without a potato face is about 1000 dollars 🤷‍♀️

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I haven't played 40K since the beginning of 4th, but lately have been thinking of getting into it again. I initially wanted to go with Tau, since they look so nice on the table. I watched a couple battle reports, and they just looked really boring, though. So now I am thinking orcs. They always look decent and they seem to be the funnest army on the table. Probably Deathskulls, since I like converting and looting. My son wants to get into it with me, which is really cool. He's looking at Necrons.

Whats the most affordable way to start collecting? How badly will I be mocked if I throw some Mantic orks in with my boys?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'm generally not a fan of super busy models, but in this case - A utterly insane crossover between tank, church organ, rocket artillery, and batshit crazy space catholic murdernun devotional shrine, it feels absolutely appropriate.

The first thing you notice is the pipe organ. Then you notice the organ has missiles in the pipes. Then you notice the skull-baby-cherubs. Then you notice that it's covered in little porcelain religious icons. Then, as the pièce de résistance, you notice the gunner-organist's loving space pope hat-helmet.

It is my favorite model to come out of GW in years.

I can totally see how painting up three of the things would be soul crushing though.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Boing posted:

Thanks, this is good advice. I'll try the fakeout screening thing, I have a lot more squads to deploy than he does so I think I'll be able to keep him guessing as I drop 5-man Skitarii units until he runs out of Custodians. I've had enemies consolidate into robots before and I'm super wary of it now, those things are probably the most consistent shooting I have against Custodians (s6, ap-2, d1) so I'll want to keep them firing all game.

I'll report back in a week!

May the Machine God bless your dice!

moths posted:

It brings to mind a quote from the old Compendium, "Your people do well at war because you treat it as a religion. We do well because we treat it as a business. It is just a matter of outlook." Of course since that was a Squat saying that, and it turns out that treating war as a business is problematic when you go bankrupt.

But the underlying idea of the Imperium treating war as a religion is an interesting one, but not actually very accurate except when applied to the Sisters of Battle (and maybe the Black Templars). So taking that aspect of the Sisters and really leaning into it makes sense to me.

The Dregs posted:

Whats the most affordable way to start collecting? How badly will I be mocked if I throw some Mantic orks in with my boys?

Start on eBay. Because Orks aren't one of the really popular armies, the brief surge of popularity from last year's Orktober having died down, you can find some pretty good deals, especially if you're willing to strip the paint off some minis. The nice thing about Orks is that their stuff is supposed to look cobbled together and haphazard, which means that you can get away with converting nearly anything into an Ork vehicle. Find an old Rhino for $10? No problem, throw some orky bits on it, remove the top hatch, put some pieces in to make an open area where the troop hold used to be, and bam you've got a Trukk.

As far as 3rd party stuff goes, it depends on the venue.

If you take them to a GW store it will depend on the whims of the manager. Some won't care, some will get really uptight, to the point of that horror story shared in the thread of a guy banning Forge World, despite FW being a subsidiary of GW, because he couldn't sell Forge World in his store!

Back when GW ran the tournament circuit it was a big deal. I can remember back in the 3rd edition era tournaments that "only Citadel miniatures are allowed". But in the years since, GW gave up running the tournaments, and as such ceded control of what models get used to local tournament organizers. And most of those don't care, they just want as many players there as possible. I have seen a few tournaments who list model restrictions, but usually that's a ban on Forge World for competitive balance, not a check for third party minis used as standard units.

As far as casual games, well, you know your friends and local scene better than I do, but if any of your friends give you serious poo poo for a few Mantic Boyz, then you need new friends.

An important note is that excepting other Ork players, most people you play with won't have any idea what model is from GW and which from anyone else. If it's green and carrying a gun, it might as well be an official Ork as far as 90% of Marine players are concerned. :shrug:

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 3, 2019

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The Dregs posted:

I haven't played 40K since the beginning of 4th, but lately have been thinking of getting into it again. I initially wanted to go with Tau, since they look so nice on the table. I watched a couple battle reports, and they just looked really boring, though. So now I am thinking orcs. They always look decent and they seem to be the funnest army on the table. Probably Deathskulls, since I like converting and looting. My son wants to get into it with me, which is really cool. He's looking at Necrons.

Whereabouts in the world are you? If you're UK based I can throw together a bunch of my stuff I'll never get around to using for you, I picked up a ton of Black Reach Orks back when that set came out.

Other than official GW venues and events which tend towards 'official minis only' I can't imagine anyone who'd give you poo poo about using Mantic Orks in your force is worth playing anyway, use whatever you like. From what I remember they'd make great Bloodaxes anyway, or Deathskulls who've looted an IG uniform factory or something.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I think it's also worth noting this edition of 40K seems to be the most friendly to getting just anything and throwing together an army. It's not going to be like a tournament army, but the rules are there so like if you have two units each you can play a game with them. The open play rules combined with the ability to use power levels rather than points means you can just buy models as and when you can afford them and play.

Sure if you go to a shop someone you don't know may want to only do matched play which means points and detachments etc but the point is you don't have to play that way anymore. In previous editions it was all points and two troops and a HQ minimum and limits on how many units of certain types you can take. GW would say "but feel free to play differently if you want!" but that's always bullshit because I can use my monopoly board as a Frisbee but it doesn't mean I'm playing monopoly.

Now though they've sort of enshrined it in the rules, so it's legitimate to go to a store or a club and be like "hey I want to play a quick open game, I have a power level of 3, anyone want to play that?".

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Zark the Damned posted:

Whereabouts in the world are you? If you're UK based I can throw together a bunch of my stuff I'll never get around to using for you, I picked up a ton of Black Reach Orks back when that set came out.

Other than official GW venues and events which tend towards 'official minis only' I can't imagine anyone who'd give you poo poo about using Mantic Orks in your force is worth playing anyway, use whatever you like. From what I remember they'd make great Bloodaxes anyway, or Deathskulls who've looted an IG uniform factory or something.

Man I wish I could take you up on that, but I am East Coast US> If you ever get an itch to head to the post office, I'd be happy to spring for shipping!

I have been looking at models and battle reports all day, and Orks definitely look like the best bet for me. I don't really care about winning, but I do love wacky rules and conversions. I am planning lots of dumb scratch built kans and dreads.

My son is really interested too. He is looking at Necrons. Are they a decent starter army? I have never been a bit interested in them myself.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 3, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kitchner posted:

I think it's also worth noting this edition of 40K seems to be the most friendly to getting just anything and throwing together an army. It's not going to be like a tournament army, but the rules are there so like if you have two units each you can play a game with them. The open play rules combined with the ability to use power levels rather than points means you can just buy models as and when you can afford them and play.

Sure if you go to a shop someone you don't know may want to only do matched play which means points and detachments etc but the point is you don't have to play that way anymore. In previous editions it was all points and two troops and a HQ minimum and limits on how many units of certain types you can take. GW would say "but feel free to play differently if you want!" but that's always bullshit because I can use my monopoly board as a Frisbee but it doesn't mean I'm playing monopoly.

Now though they've sort of enshrined it in the rules, so it's legitimate to go to a store or a club and be like "hey I want to play a quick open game, I have a power level of 3, anyone want to play that?".

It may be a regional thing, because around DC I have never used PL or even seen it discussed. Matched Play is the norm around here, regardless of how competitive the scene is.

That said people are generally friendly and all too willing to show how to play.

The Dregs posted:

eBay is a good source for cheap models. If you're in the US I might be able to hook you up with some stuff.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It may be a regional thing, because around DC I have never used PL or even seen it discussed. Matched Play is the norm around here, regardless of how competitive the scene is.

That said people are generally friendly and all too willing to show how to play.

eBay is a good source for cheap models. If you're in the US I might be able to hook you up with some stuff.

Yup, Atlanta area.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Dregs posted:

Yup, Atlanta area.

Cool. PM me and I will hook you up.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That said people are generally friendly and all too willing to show how to play..

To be fair I've not been to any clubs or stores to play since sort of getting back into it all, I've mostly looked at matched play and points too.

On the other hand I did used to hang out in my local GW and a gaming club, and like if someone had only a couple of units I would be worried about like will the game be fun to play without the HQ and two troops it's designed for and differences in points. Now that there's a way that's like "hey this method isn't super competitive but it's an easy way to use your units" that's in the rulebook I'd be more comfortable either asking someone or being asked to play such a game.

I just have flashbacks to when I had a steam tank and like ten empire gunners and I played a friends tomb Kings in WHF. At such a low points value the missions didn't work and my steam tank just crushed his entire army. We knew each other so it was fine but I'd have felt bad if that was a random dude.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

The Dregs posted:

Yup, Atlanta area.

How many warham goons are in Atlanta? I’m nearby if you’re ever interested in a game.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I am actually North of Atlanta, near Marietta. The local game store here (Gigabites) always seems to be slammed with players. It'll be awhile before I can actually field an army. When I can, I will be sure to hit you up.

Edit: Holy poo poo. Guilliman woke up? Primaris Marines? They advanced the storyline?!

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 3, 2019

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

The Dregs posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo. Guilliman woke up? Primaris Marines? They advanced the storyline?!

That they did.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

The Dregs posted:

My son is really interested too. He is looking at Necrons. Are they a decent starter army? I have never been a bit interested in them myself.

They are a decent starter army but they are by no means competitive right now, so they might get a bit sour on them if you delve into that aspect of the game. They’re easy to paint and play and have some neat tricks, though. I like them :shrug:

The Dregs posted:

I am actually North of Atlanta, near Marietta. The local game store here (Gigabites) always seems to be slammed with players. It'll be awhile before I can actually field an army. When I can, I will be sure to hit you up.

Gigs-Bites is the go-to LGS in the greater Atlanta area, I go there as often as I can. It’s a shame (for me at least) that there’s nothing decent in the perimeter but it’s super convenient for others so I make the drive.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 3, 2019

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I know it's a bit of a long shot but if there are any goons in London that want to play toy soldiers let me know.

I've got a big army but it was collected in 5e and I've not played much of 8e yet so you'll have to put up with me being a bit poo poo.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Kitchner posted:

I know it's a bit of a long shot but if there are any goons in London that want to play toy soldiers let me know.

I've got a big army but it was collected in 5e and I've not played much of 8e yet so you'll have to put up with me being a bit poo poo.

Sure! Will PM you.

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

Definetly check out Bad Moon Cafe and the London Warhammer Gaming Guild both have a huge community meeting practically every day of the week

Kitchner posted:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Bad Moon Cafe is really nice, A+.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I think my friends who wanted to try out kill team/already play kill team booked a table at the bad moon cafe this weekend actually!

Edit: oh no its for the 24th. Still a friend found it and booked something for the weekend.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Ive been watching Warzone Morloc batreps which are hosted by an absolute ogre of a pommy man and they're sponsored by Bad Moon Cafe. It sounds like a wonderful gaming venue.

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

TTerrible posted:

Bad Moon Cafe is really nice, A+.

The wall of models you play along side is death for the wallet

Edit: good beer and impulse buys

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Does anyone know of a good source for written battle reports? Youtube reports are OK, but they're often long and are mostly rolling dice.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I don’t know about written reports but I think your complaint about the length is being heard by a few channels. I’m pretty sure Mini Wargaming has done a few reports with things like movement phases and some dice rolls cut out.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I'm pretty happy on how my first crimson fist came out, man I love this hobby!! https://i.imgur.com/sztYq0r.jpg

Cricken_Nigfops fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 4, 2019

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I mentioned earlier I'm planning to start a second army once I hit 90 boyz and 2000 points. My FLGS dude sold me on Iron Hands. I already had the Dark Imperium set and some primaris dreads. He also sold me the relevant codices, primaris aggressors, and Feirros.

I also have some old Marine stuff. Notably, the old Dark Vengeance box. I know those were meant as Dark Angels, but would any of the models work for Iron Hands? Anything in there that would be particularly useful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

The Dregs posted:

I’m also in Atlanta. I live over in Duluth but I’m at Giga a lot, it seems to really be the most active store in the area. Big terrain selection and lots of tables, though the meta there is fairly competitive and yes, it can be crowded.

PM me if you ever want to just drop by or learn the rules or something, I have more than enough Salamanders if you need to borrow guys for a small or medium game. Should also note that Giga has a thing every Friday night at 8 for 40k, which is less competitive than normal for there... though that isn’t saying much.