Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

The best format is actually just posting about magic on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/tirentu/status/1191061227100917760

I gotta hear more about this.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

https://twitter.com/tirentu/status/1191062466391924737?s=20

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't even really wanna look at cartoon Hitler in 2019

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

This was the mat apparently:

It's rare that situations are actually as funny as the summary of them suggests but here we are.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That's a rad playmat, independent of the Rick and Morty fanbase being atrocious garbage

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I looked up that cartoon from the playmat, it's referencing a 20th century politician, and according to wikipedia he was definitely not a cool guy and I see how someone might take issue with such a playmat

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
So how long until Oko eats an emergency ban?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

the Orb of Zot posted:

They could in theory use any of the now weekly ban announcements to do it. So possibly as early as tomorrow. It's gonna be a badvlook if Oko is done in pioneer but not standard.

EDIT: What's the basis for getting banned for an R&M matt? They let people have those disgusting anime tiddy matts, and this isn't even close to it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

rkajdi posted:

They could in theory use any of the now weekly ban announcements to do it. So possibly as early as tomorrow. It's gonna be a badvlook if Oko is done in pioneer but not standard.

EDIT: What's the basis for getting banned for an R&M matt? They let people have those disgusting anime tiddy matts, and this isn't even close to it.

Yeah if you can't get banned for anime tiddy sleeves and mats, you def shouldnt be DQ'd for this.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rkajdi posted:

Abraham Hitler and also there's apparently some context behind the inspiration I'm not aware of (and would really like to know about if someone can enlighten us!)?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

the Orb of Zot posted:

0% though they fuckin' should have emergency banned Oko at the same time they emergency banned Field.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

That is fishing for a win, not real outrage.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sit on my Jace posted:

This was the mat apparently:

It's rare that situations are actually as funny as the summary of them suggests but here we are.

And who would even know who that is unless you watch the show?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

the Orb of Zot posted:

the next ban announcement is in two weeks so don't expect anything before then for standard

pioneer is going to potentially have ban announcements like every week until 2020

https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/1189995652605857792

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

And who would even know who that is unless you watch the show?

That mustache was declared universally forbidden during the 1945 Nuremburg Trials for a reason

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Null Rod is now the 4th best Null Rod - I love everything about this.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's a rad playmat, independent of the Rick and Morty fanbase being atrocious garbage

i think the magic thread is the last place anyone should be making GBS threads on a thing for having a bad fan base. also lmao at somebody trying to get a DQ instead of just asking for the playmat to be switched out, what a loser rear end angle shooting dweeb

Sickening posted:

That is fishing for a win, not real outrage.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Hellsau posted:

0% though they fuckin' should have emergency banned Oko at the same time they emergency banned Field.

Yeah no chance they're doing it since that requires going back on their baffling "we're not banning anything until after the pro tour" statement.

Somehow not admitting you were dumb is more valuable than losing 3/4 of your potential audience who are going to go, "No point in watching 17 hours of Oko mirrors, wake me up when the banlist update goes into effect so we can play this format again."

Side note: I was annoyed as gently caress when Field was banned and it took almost a week to kick in. I feel like an extra deployment for your platform that's going to win back how many players the instant it goes live is worth the tiny bit of extra work (though I'm assuming their process isn't the the stupidest thing possible and completely manual, which is undoubtedly exactly what they do given their digital track record...).

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Abraham Hitler and also there's apparently some context behind the inspiration I'm not aware of (and would really like to know about if someone can enlighten us!)?

Abradolf Lincler, actually. the context is what if you combined those two people, wouldnt that be funny?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

little munchkin posted:

Abradolf Lincler, actually. the context is what if you combined those two people, wouldnt that be funny?

Are we saying that isn't funny? Because Rick & Morty is the best show with the worst fanbase. Complaining about this would be like complaining about a Bojack Horseman mat. Especially if this is just some angle shooting rear end in a top hat, because it makes it harder to get a gross mat gone when it makes someone actually uncomfortable.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Was Bojack Horseman responsible for 6 million deaths

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Was Bojack Horseman responsible for 6 million deaths

It’s tricking countless sadbois into thinking they understand what depression is and how to handle it so potentially yes

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

little munchkin posted:

Mocking adolf hitler is fun and good.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

on the one hand, I watched like 3 episodes of Rick and Morty and found maybe one thing to laugh at

on the other hand, every time you hear a story about Jeremy Dezani it's about him angle-shooting

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It's ok to make fun of Hitler y'all

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Elyv posted:

on the one hand, I watched like 3 episodes of Rick and Morty and found maybe one thing to laugh at

on the other hand, every time you hear a story about Jeremy Dezani it's about him angle-shooting

Remind me was he on the receiving end of LSVs Settle the Wreckage grift

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MikeCrotch posted:

Remind me was he on the receiving end of LSVs Settle the Wreckage grift

That's a really overly loose definition of grift.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sickening posted:

Mocking adolf hitler is fun and good.

Yup, that's kind of where I'm at. Springtime of Hitler is fine and good, because mocking the man might be the best way to remember him. Not as some hyper-proficient fascist (he wasn't) but as a boob who's worth ridicule. The Rick & Morty stuff is in the same vein.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

rkajdi posted:

Yup, that's kind of where I'm at. Springtime of Hitler is fine and good, because mocking the man might be the best way to remember him. Not as some hyper-proficient fascist (he wasn't) but as a boob who's worth ridicule. The Rick & Morty stuff is in the same vein.

This is my next playmat.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Drewjitsu posted:

2 Steelclaw Lance (ELD) 202
4 Blacklance Paragon (ELD) 79
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion (M20) 105
4 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
4 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77
4 Stormfist Crusader (ELD) 203
4 Smitten Swordmaster (ELD) 105
3 Embercleave (ELD) 120
4 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
4 Tournament Grounds (ELD) 248
7 Swamp (XLN) 269
6 Mountain (XLN) 273
4 Fervent Champion (ELD) 124
4 Foulmire Knight (ELD) 90
2 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241

Playing Mardu Knights, I know the following:
Embercleave is a 4x, you want to see that card every game, full stop.
Steelclaw lance is surprisingly good. T1 Feverent Champion, T2 Lance, hook up the Champ isn't the world's worst thing to do (and you get to utilize the oft forgotten last paragraph of text on the Champ).
I'm also pretty medium on Stormfist Crusader.

This is what I've mocked up, but I have no idea how correct it is:
Deck
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion (M20) 105
6 Swamp (ANA) 58
4 Blacklance Paragon (ELD) 79
8 Mountain (ANA) 59
4 Fervent Champion (ELD) 124
4 Rimrock Knight (ELD) 137
4 Steelclaw Lance (ELD) 202
4 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77
4 Tournament Grounds (ELD) 248
4 Embercleave (ELD) 120
4 Rotting Regisaur (M20) 111
4 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
4 Smitten Swordmaster (ELD) 105
2 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241

Sideboard
4 Angrath's Rampage (WAR) 185
4 Legion's End (M20) 106
4 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110
3 Drill Bit (RNA) 73

Thanks, meant to paste it into my post, guess I forgot. As much as they've been screwing up these last few years they deserve credit for getting equipment playable in constructed outside SFM.

You're right on Embercleave and it bears investigation but I'm just concerned I'll have a couple and not enough board to cast them. Dunno what Regisaur is for though?

I've really like Blacklance Paragon, both body and removable, can surprise them when they think you can't afford Muderous Rider.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Rotting Regisaur is seen as kind of a midrange combo kill with Embercleave. 16 trample damage is a lot.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Bust Rodd posted:

Narcomeba giving you a free warm body for Therapy and Dread Return is huge. I’ve been playing Manaless Dredge for about 6 years and Narcomeba is so versatile. Blocking Emrakul feels amazing. It’s the only creature in your deck you can put in play on their turn, and it’s a blue spell you can pitch to force.

Do you know of any good primers for it? I'm building it as my legacy deck and have found a few builds around. Sideboarding and how to handle g2/g3 seem really complicated.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Nothing in a long time has made me as irritated as discovering the various ways that oko's +1 interacts with continuous effects

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
you see what happens when you gently caress with the color pie? maro warned us.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

rkajdi posted:

Are we saying that isn't funny? Because Rick & Morty is the best show with the worst fanbase. Complaining about this would be like complaining about a Bojack Horseman mat. Especially if this is just some angle shooting rear end in a top hat, because it makes it harder to get a gross mat gone when it makes someone actually uncomfortable.

its funny but lol at getting this defensive at me explaining a joke

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I haven't played MTG against anyone but a circle of friends in a decade. We moved a couple years ago and haven't touched anything related to the hobby.

My son and I went to the local game store and the owner helped us both put together standard decks that wouldn't get steamrolled at FNM. I went in saying I'd spend less than 100 bucks on each deck and the dude convinced me to spend less and make sure we wanted to keep playing long term. I walked out having spent 100 bucks with sleeves and a new play mat for him.

The staff were super helpful and cool. I am looking forward to coming back this Friday.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Post the decklists

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Oko won vintage and legacy champs, lol.

It was only in the legacy sideboard but I'm counting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Real talk the Alpha Black Lotus swinging for 3 to straight kill a man is some gangsta poo poo.