Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ymgve posted:

How do I stop the most basic human enemies from oneshotting me with their grabs

Hit them with a yokai counter(R2 + circle) or don't get grabbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

ymgve posted:

How do I stop the most basic human enemies from oneshotting me with their grabs

Wear armor, have full health. Or take the above advince and Burst Counter/Don't get grabbed.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I'll buy the hell out of Nioh 2 if there's no 1v1 or 1v2 missions. I did not like those in 1 and it felt like artificial padding. Bummer that I'll miss this beta.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Monolith. posted:

I'll buy the hell out of Nioh 2 if there's no 1v1 or 1v2 missions. I did not like those in 1 and it felt like artificial padding. Bummer that I'll miss this beta.

There's a 1v1 in the beta.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
You have to hit the attacking enemy with the slap animation of the yokai counter for it to work at all, right? I stopped attempting it after it it just got me killed when running away would have worked.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

You have to hit the attacking enemy with the slap animation of the yokai counter for it to work at all, right? I stopped attempting it after it it just got me killed when running away would have worked.

Ya. You can hit them at any time during whatever animation it is they are winding up or executing to cancel it and deal big ki damage to them.

I think the non-brute guardians just cancel the attack and give you some other benefit idk.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ya. You can hit them at any time during whatever animation it is they are winding up or executing to cancel it and deal big ki damage to them.

I think the non-brute guardians just cancel the attack and give you some other benefit idk.

non-brute guardians also give you a counterattack, but you have to time a dodge or a parry. I'm not sure how strict the timing on the purple form is but the savage form timing on the dodge is really strict

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Kobogartimer posted:

There's a 1v1 in the beta.

The 1v1 in the beta feels way more manageable than Tachibana (the first 1v1 in Nioh). He's only got like one or two nasty tricks and they aren't too difficult to dodge.

Also, I realized you can use your Yokai powers a lot more frequently in Demon Mode. That actually helps a lot against bosses, especially if you can lock them into a fire hammer spam.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Interrupting a dude's super attack by punching him in the nuts rules.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

It depends on the Yokai form.
Brute does an attack that interrupts. The advantage is you don't need to time anything and it works on every burst move. The disadvantage is you have to wait for the attack to actually come out and you have to be in range for it to hit.
Fury does a dodge that you have to i-frame through something with, Phantom does a block/parry. Strict timing required is the downside, as well as the fact that some attacks you just can't counter with it. On the other hand, both happen instantly and you don't need to be next to the enemy.

Brute's also is a good attack that only costs 1 anima and 0 ki, Phantom's block is also a perfect ki-less block for 1 anima. I suppose Fury's dodge is also a 0 ki dodge, but I haven't used Fury form enough yet.

Edit: Some more things I figured out: If you're next to a target eligible for a grapple, going into Yokai form will transform and then automatically Yokai-Grapple the target. Sometimes doing a burst counter puts you into a temporary transform state for the follow-up grapple, but I don't quite know why or when. I believe it's when you do a burst counter on a yokai and the counter puts them into a grapple-able state?

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 3, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I love the 1v1s. Just make that the whole game.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Having hard time concentrating on the beta 1v1 because it's very clearly Nobuyuki Hiyama and bugger me if I can handle him doing all his goddamn Link grunts on top of yelling poo poo like Guy from GaoGaiGar. But I love it and wouldn't have it any other way.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Burst dodge might be more useful than I gave it credit for. Turns out you can use Burst skills and yokai skills to cancel anything, even in hitstun and while out of Ki.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE5KhahASfY

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

everything about red attacks sucks poo poo

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I appreciate that Nioh 2 took mortal attacks from Sekiro and adapted them to their own system. It's fun to see developers learn from each other like that. I think I still like Sekiro's posture system more but Nioh's ki system is still a great evolution on the Souls style stamina bar.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I appreciate that Nioh 2 took mortal attacks from Sekiro and adapted them to their own system. It's fun to see developers learn from each other like that. I think I still like Sekiro's posture system more but Nioh's ki system is still a great evolution on the Souls style stamina bar.

Uh the Ki system was in Nioh 1.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

RatHat posted:

Uh the Ki system was in Nioh 1.

He's talking about the new attack type. Regenerating stamina has existed since the dawn of games tho

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Well the "active reload" ki pulse mechanic. Nioh the first introduced it and it was a really cool evolution on the old "attack or dodge and wait for regen" system. Then Sekiro introduced the minimalistic posture system and mortal attacks. Nioh 2 retained their ki pulse system but added mortal attacks after a fashion, which is neat.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 4, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh I didn't realize you could charge your heavy attack in yokai form. It also charges instantly sometimes and I'm not sure what the condition for it is.

Anyway I beat all the bosses and missions, did a few co-ops, and I'm pretty much done with the demo. Went with Odachi for the demo since that's what I used in Nioh 1 but I'm not sure what I'll use for the full release. I guess I'll decide after seeing the full skills list.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

RatHat posted:

Oh I didn't realize you could charge your heavy attack in yokai form. It also charges instantly sometimes and I'm not sure what the condition for it is.

Anyway I beat all the bosses and missions, did a few co-ops, and I'm pretty much done with the demo. Went with Odachi for the demo since that's what I used in Nioh 1 but I'm not sure what I'll use for the full release. I guess I'll decide after seeing the full skills list.

I tried out the axes and they're ok but throwing things isn't my jam so I went odachi instead because I didn't use it in Nioh and it hauls rear end. I generally use the katana on trash though because my muscle memory for haze is still perfect and nothing can touch me. Also heart is a very good stat.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I tried the hatchets but I just love the Odachi way too much. I just love crushing that sucker down on a Yoki's head. I'm a little sad that's not an insta-down anymore (or at least not in the Twilight level) cause it was the premiere Yoki-smoosh.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

RatHat posted:

If you've played the modern Ninja Gaiden games it's similar to the Ultimate Techniques there. Charging the heavy attack absorbs stray amrita nearby and makes your heavy attack charge instantly.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

My gf just heard the pipe music as she got home

"Oh no you died. Wait are you playing this game again?"

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Socket the health-on-kill modifier into the odachi's medium stance light attack finisher to create the ultimate win-win situation. They block the attack? Massive ki damage with a giant damage finisher if it breaks -> health on kill. They don't block the attack, health damage -> health on kill.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So Yatsu no Kami must be a trainer for staying within attack range of the enemy. The tail whip it readies by coiling to it's left has huge range and little windup so you can't reasonably run from it. The swords home in on you about half the time if you're too far away, the red ki slam attack is punishable but only if you're close, and the lawnmower thrust/slither will clip you at a dead run perpendicular to his direction and immediately kill you.

Speaking of which, I think the slither thrust move could use some cleanup or tuning. I was killed a few times by it even though I was running away at a 90 degree angle to it by getting clipped and double tapped even though Yatsu didn't make contact. Feels kinda crappy.

I should clarify I'm having bunches of fun playing this again but bits of it seem arbitrarily brutal. You just can't get hit by yokai that aren't gaki or dweller slaps or you're going down in two hits, and blocking them isn't worth it. Part of the problem is coming from Sekiro and having to relearn avoiding non-human attacks entirely though. Yampuss are hilarious and I need more animal orb buddies.

Also Edit:. I love the creativity here too. The second boss is a snake in the grass fighting back with yard tools in it's face.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 4, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I got the snake to 40% then 10% and now I'm on my 15th try I reckon and I can barely get him to 1/2.... Ugh.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

The trick to the snake seems to be to cut off the arms as quickly as possible. This deals massive damage to health and ki and prevents it from going to the dark realm (for this at least one arm has to be alive). On my winning attempt, I never saw the dark realm thanks to this. Also, all the moves it can do without the arms are kinda slow and easily avoidable (except for the bullshit grab attack - I never learned how to dodge that consistently).

Does someone in this thread have tips for the duel with the spear guy? I have no idea how I am supposed to win this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

KonvexKonkav posted:

The trick to the snake seems to be to cut off the arms as quickly as possible. This deals massive damage to health and ki and prevents it from going to the dark realm (for this at least one arm has to be alive). On my winning attempt, I never saw the dark realm thanks to this. Also, all the moves it can do without the arms are kinda slow and easily avoidable (except for the bullshit grab attack - I never learned how to dodge that consistently).

Does someone in this thread have tips for the duel with the spear guy? I have no idea how I am supposed to win this.

Yeah it's the bullshit grab that gets me. I've got some kind of brain block killing the right snake too. I'm sure I'm doing it right just trying mad and loving up now.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

KonvexKonkav posted:

Get in his face and stay in low stance, dodge towards his back and anything that isn't the big wide sweeps will leave him really open to some good hits. Don't keep mashing when he's blocking he'll eventually do a weird twirl parry-like thing that doesn't directly parry you into an attack but does big Ki damage and he loves to follow up with a big thrust if it ki breaks. Which is baitable if you're playing with the Feral Form. He likes to do long combos that take out a lot of his Ki so just baiting out stuff and getting a slash in followed by a kick if you're Sword/Dual Sword can break him into grapples fast. under half health he can launch into a living weapon style attack if you wail on him too long so sticking to 2-4 hit chains and then backing up to try and get him to commit to another combo works. Generally if he's not attacking make him block and run out his Ki.

Or buy some space and when he starts doing the charge thrust/summons his dog shoot him in the face with a Rifle/Handcannon, he's real bad at blocking projectiles. and remember you can pop about 5 of the smallest spirit stones to get Yokai Shift up to close out the fight. Ippon-Datara's kick can knock him to the ground for a Final blow if the main attack hits but he's effectively immune to fire damage.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I wish I had a winning strategy for the snake boss, but I know that I got incredibly lucky. I played a lot of keep away and used 8 elixirs and 2 regeneration talismans and still scraped by with a sliver of health. The biggest boon I received, and I'm not sure what caused this, but he didn't trigger the Dark Realm until he was at less than 10% health. He had both his snake arms for the second half of the fight; I didn't know I could cut them off so maybe I did and it took him a minute to regen one. I'm not looking forward to having to replicate my "success" but it only took me around 8 tries so it wasn't too bad.

I feel like it should be said that since you now gain skill levels in magic and ninjitsu, you really should be spamming those abilities while exploring. I've died a lot with a pack full of shurikens and talismans and it's just exp left on the table. I don't yet know if they've nerfed the Sloth Talisman but that was a game changer in Nioh so I'm trying to get over there now.

Also Yokai abilities like the tengu or the hammer guy get you off the ground, which is useful if you know someone's about to hit you with a sweep or a thrust. It always stings when I die and I have a full yokai bar or whatever it's called. There are so many tools in this game it's hard to remember to use them, especially coming off of Sekiro where your ninja tools had kind of niche uses and you only had three at a time to deal with.

I'm currently stuck in the first Twilight Mission, but I recently made some headway so I'll eventually break through it. I would like more items to be available from the shrine, things like Summoner's Candles in particular, but being able to buy elixirs is a decent compromise.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
edit: double post due to radium

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 5, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I beat the snake after posting. It went into dark realm when it grew it's friends back, but I managed to use that yokai dodge correctly as well as the other moves I had. Very tense but I think I get the yokai abilities now. The dodge, spear throw and the tengu jump thing are good. When the first tengu popped out of the must I was like "oh it's this motherfucker" and managed to kill it first go thanks to being ready for it's stupid bullshit.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

The Tengu still seems highly susceptible to being baited into endlessly looping its round-house kick if you have the room to do it. A big giant flashing neon "if" of course.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

idk I just bait into the mid range for the snake and he tends to do either the long range slam that gives up his head to be attacked or sends his snakes out at you which are simple to dodge and also gives up his head. In the alpha he did the slithering thing way more often and it's hitbox was kinda hosed so I thought he was way easier here and I managed to kill him in 1 try. Also that slam where he drops his body in a circle on top of you when you're close is incredibly specific and if you stay to his left it drops around you and misses and is easy to punish. His long range tail spin also is easily blocked.

Even when he goes into the Yokai realm he doesn't really become that much of a bother, you just get the little snakes away from him and then he's pretty much just doing those attacks just with a couple tiny nuisances in your periphery and all I saw them do is spit poison at you.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Went on to do a twilight mission and beat the 1v1 boss. I'm much better at the man sized bosses because I can parry and get a better feel for things. The odachi is new to me but it's stupidly versatile and pretty fast in low stance. Also the mid combo with a guard break heavy attack is ridiculous.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Switching to all light armor helped me beat the duel. I was using a mix of heavy and medium armor before that, and the penalties to your ki usage and regen became super obvious when fighting spear guy. Before that I was getting pretty frustrated because I could only get in a few swings before having to go on the defensive and wait for my ki to come back

For the snake boss I used both a blessed weapon and purification talismans to ruin its ki, then once it was out of ki the lightning jutsu did massive amounts of damage to it.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Also loving how weapon skill points work now. It's nice being able to actually use the strongest weapons that you find, and not just the types into which you've invested your skill points. I've used a bit of every weapon type except axes in the couple hours I've played the beta

Overall it's cool to see how many new things they're trying with this sequel. Automatically getting your poo poo back in a boss arena is super nice

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Unfinish3d posted:

Overall it's cool to see how many new things they're trying with this sequel. Automatically getting your poo poo back in a boss arena is super nice

It was a nice change from the alpha.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I have been getting absolutely fuckslammed in the demo. Maybe it’s from playing Sekiro, The Surge 2 and Code Vein this year.

I thought Sekiro was amazing, showing that soulslike doesn’t mean “stamina bar and dodge through attacks”. The Surge 2’s take on weapon variety, healing mechanics and parrying was excellent. Code Vein felt like someone made a game out of files recovered from a water-damaged hard disk and I hated it.

The first Nioh (especially the alpha and beta) kicked my rear end too, but somehow I don’t feel like I can figure this one out. I don’t need a crystal ball to know I’ll buy it anyway but drat I can’t even touch the cat boss without getting whooped into rest mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

kamaitachis are sickle weasels and rad as poo poo