Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I bought a grands worth of bitcoins when they were 60 bucks each, sold when they were at 300 each after I missed the peak of (at that time) 1000

A nice profit but could have made a shitload more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

If you say "gently caress you" when you should say "thank you" it earns a punishment.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Azza Bamboo posted:

If you say "gently caress you" when you should say "thank you" it earns a punishment.

Eton?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

jiggerypokery posted:

what happened to pissflaps anyway

The real question is, what is going to happen to pissflaps, and the answer is this:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Part 2:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1191036224070471680

Lib Dems are such pathetic bootlickers that the tories were worried they'd hurt themselves doing it.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

happyhippy posted:

I miss buttcoin.org, it had stories on how people tried to use bitcoin and how cashing out was hard.
Like meeting guys in Denny parking lots, only to have them try to talk you around to 'invest' your buttcoins in their billion dollar ideas.

just read the yospos buttcoin thread

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

jiggerypokery posted:

what happened to pissflaps anyway

Hes got 500 vites to unban him and is at an 80%unban 20% ban ratio so hell be back shortly

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Brutal.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Today I learned that having a solid plan to fund your policies, and have that funding not hit the must vulnerable amoung us, is apparently a bad thing

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ross the Rapist jumping before he gets pushed. Almost a shame - he was never going to win, his replacement might do better.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

:vince: amazing

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Hes got 500 vites to unban him and is at an 80%unban 20% ban ratio so hell be back shortly

are you in charge of poll analysis for the lib dems

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

This is my favourite Jo Swinson video

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jo-swinson-close-tears-loses-5657653

Anyone have the full version? This is the best I could find, shame not to have her full reaction.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Hey it's time for some incredibly dumb Northern Irish news!

There's been a lot of talk in the media since the announcement of the election of the upcoming contest in Belfast North, the seat of one Mr Nigel Dodds. This is a rare SF/DUP marginal and has been a key Sinn Fein target seat for the past few years since about 2010 when the combined Nationalist vote outstripped Dodds personal vote causing a great degree of panic among Unionism prompting the UUP to withdraw from the seat to give him a clear run in future elections - however SF have managed to increasingly close the gap regardless.

The last election saw SF get their vote out in records numbers, in part thanks to good candidate selection (now Belfast Lord Mayor John Finucane, son of Pat Finucane) and the DUPs current Westminster shenanigans (Belfast North voted remain by a very slim margin), reducing Dodds majority from 13% to 4.5% putting a mere 2081 votes between between SF and the DUP.

So when incoming UUP leader Steve Aiken openly rejected any pacts with the DUP as this election was called, accusing them of "blackening the name of unionism", the sudden prospect of a UUP candidate peeling off a few percentage points sent Unionism into a very open and public panic. The UUP hadn't run a candidate for some years and garnered less than 8% of the vote and it would be somewhat surprising if a candidate in this election could even reach those dizzy heights considering the party's continued declining fortunes since then.

Aiken's open refusal to pact with the DUP promoted a very swift backlash though with an open letter being published in the Unionist inclined Belfast Telegraph from various Belfast Unionists (including members of the UUP) decrying the decision as handing victory to Sinn Fein. The police even got involved as threats where issued by the UDA against UUP election staff telling them that if they run in Belfast North there will be a "response". In the constituency itself there was a chilly reception to the news, Unionism has a thing about "Unionist unity" and traditionally the constitutional question trumps all come election time so even though Aiken's decision was applauded in liberal quarters it didn't exactly please Unionist voters.

Now today, after this story has been gradually building all week Aiken has performed a public u-turn and said actually no we won't run in Belfast North but uh this isn't a pact

https://twitter.com/SJAMcBride/status/1190999109718724610

Of course doesn't mean the election is any less of a dog-fight but it is a little reminder that ultimately the DUP can leverage the constitutional question to their advantage regardless of all their other policies - Also makes the UUP seem even more a pathetic mess than they where going into this election, not running in this seat had become the standard but announcing they would contest all seats and then publicly backing down may drive some more liberal minded Unionists voters towards Alliance in other constituencies.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
Just back from doorknocking, turns out the centrists are right and better things are not, in fact, possible. Also, :barf: foreigners :barf: scroungers :barf: :suicide:

Braggart posted:

Well I would argue that whether individual Lib Dems actually believe it or they are just lying for short term advantage is irrelevant to us. And also to them ;)
eh, if you're making the terrible mistake of talking to a LD, it's useful to know the kind of delusion they're under; belief is harder to puncture. Also it'll determine LD strategy - if they genuinely believe it, they'll have a harder time shifting to other narratives even when that one gets countered or otherwise stops working.

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe not as much as regulating mechanized agriculture, but it adds up (and the thread has already established that agriculture was the greatest human mistake).
related, don't know if you've heard this, a conversation with Donna Haraway and Anna Tsing about the Plantationocene (vs the Anthropocene as a concept, and a bunch of other stuff)
https://edgeeffects.net/haraway-tsing-plantationocene/

Pesky Splinter posted:

Cum Dom pulling numbers from his secret arse.
chance that this model is any good: 0, based on his other work he doesn't actually understand any of the things he goes on about (takes one to know one shut up shut up shut up)

now, because i need something nice after this afternoon and so do you, presenting: the house martin

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

kustomkarkommando posted:

Hey it's time for some incredibly dumb Northern Irish news!

Hey man, couple it with this:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-50274904

quote:

The DUP has said it will not stand an election candidate in Fermanagh and South Tyrone to support the Ulster Unionists' bid for the seat.
Arlene Foster said her party "believed in unionist cooperation" and putting the "wider interest" ahead of "narrow party politics".
Sinn Féin's Michelle Gildernew currently holds the seat.

Yeah, no pact here to see, move along.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Welcome to the 19th century, tenants of mine! I will let you use the heating over Christmas as long as you vote Conservative in the upcoming election. But not too much. Didn't your grandmother knit you a jumper or something? Oh she died last winter? Too bad, I liked her. I was able to jam her hearing aid whenever she got shirty. And the life insurance policy I took out before installing her locked thermostat paid off very handsomely. Incidentally, how are you all feeling? Any sniffles I should know about? :smuggo:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Ockham might point out the Nest thermostat is wireless so physical access is not necessary, and that the box might be to try to prevent it being easily stolen as they're not cheap devices.

Does the tenant have access to the controls, or not, becomes the relevant question.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

This is my favourite Jo Swinson video

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jo-swinson-close-tears-loses-5657653

Anyone have the full version? This is the best I could find, shame not to have her full reaction.

As a general heads-up for people looking for old declarations, the full election night coverages for I think every year is findable on youtube, so coupled with the expected declaration times for East Dunbartonshire I found this. It has some more of the lead-in, though it still cuts off at the same time.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Hey man, couple it with this:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-50274904

Yeah, no pact here to see, move along.

This is extra funny because that the candidate they specifically said they would support as an agreed Unionist candidate is publicly refusing to confirm if he'll run again

Though the DUP staying away from Fermanagh & South Tyrone was always gonna happen tbh - the seat has been the tightest of tight marginals for too long and the DUP don't want to get they whole Lundy treatment they like to dish out against other Unionists who run against them for running in a seat they probably couldn't win on a good day. I also don't see F&ST swapping back soon anyway.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Also :lol: that's one of those internet of things thermostats, couldn't the landlord have just moved it somewhere else? (Preferably up his rear end.)

:aaaaa:

If the thermostat is up my arse then my tenants will never be able to use the heating! What an amazing idea!

You can take your heat from my cold dead rear end.

Edit: Possibly should have used :goatsecx: instead of :aaaaa:

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
The original tweet isn't really wrong - Labour's need to keep the unions happy could potentially lead to some bad environmental policy decisions, not sure why this is controversial? unions aren't magically revolutionary and leftist, once they hit a certain size / life-cycle point they become bureaucratic institutions whose role is self-reproduction and keeping their members in a job, and this might end up contradicting the goals of a wider leftist movement. It's happened before, it'll likely happen again.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Looks a lot like one of those circular locks you can defeat with a correctly-sized straw/pen ink reservoir.
Ah, lockpicking, a nice fun subject to opine on. Yep, this looks like a tubular lock. Hypothetically*, if one were to want to pick a tubular lock, one would a heat-softened biro tube / circle of stiff card to impression, or buy a set of tubular lock picks/impressioners, or pick directly with a standard pick and a tubular lock tensioner. Might also be a wafer lock, in which case one would pick it normally, rake it , or use a set of wafer jiggle keys llike these or these.

* This is all hypothetical, obviously one should never pick an in-use lock or a lock one doesn't own in case of damaging it, even experienced pickers gently caress up from time to time, myself included, it'd be a bit embarrassing to explain to your landlord and probably get you evicted; fortunately, as Guava said, you don't need to pick it, you can just stick a cold pack on top of the box :v: cheaper and easier!

ed: for more information about picking tubular locks, LockPickingLawyer has a playlist of his tubular lock picks. Also Lock Noob.

vvvv oh, probably, but that's more effective and less fun; if you knew the manufacturer you could probably order "replacements" directly

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 3, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They keys are almost certainly a standard bitting.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Framing it as "what are the problems are around here" rather than "what are your problems" also stops them shutting down at what's quite a nosy question. Everyone loves a good whinge, you just have to get it out of them.

I think you could do quite a nice online campaign around this, by sharing pictures of [poo poo thing near you] and asking the rhetorical question- "Would you vote conservative for another 5 years of this?". Politics seems abstract until you explain it in terms of potholes in the road, queues in the hospital and rough sleepers. Once the manifesto comes out you can start connecting each [poo poo thing near you] to a labour policy that'll fix it.
There's a danger the focus on local problems can rebound on your local labour MP or council though, so you need to be prepared to link the problems to failure at national government level.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

OwlFancier posted:

They keys are almost certainly a standard bitting.

You are right: https://www.securitysafetyproducts.co.uk/security/protective-covers-cages/thermostop-medium-thermostat-guard-extra-keys-pack-of-2.php. I like that there is a picture of the key itself.

https://www.replacementkeys.co.uk/coleman-8025-key.html

ronya fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 3, 2019

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

All the people suggesting lock picks or buying spare keys or dental floss shims or hacking the nest system are overthinking it.

The landlord has, in their almighty wisdom, placed the thermostat in a sealed unit shut off from the atmosphere of the dwelling. So if you want the heaters on put an ice pack on top of the plastic box and the thermostat will think that the air is colder than it is and turn the heating on.

Amateurs. You want a box with airholes small enough to keep out a child's fingers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CGI Stardust posted:

related, don't know if you've heard this, a conversation with Donna Haraway and Anna Tsing about the Plantationocene (vs the Anthropocene as a concept, and a bunch of other stuff)
https://edgeeffects.net/haraway-tsing-plantationocene/
Thanks, this is good. I like 'Capitalcene' better than Plantationocene, but I think that might only cover the bit from the 1600s through to today. I'd perhaps go one further and call it the Civitacene, because the big change in our interaction with nature that came up with us alongside agriculture and developed as it did is the change from nomadism to the idea of fixed territory that is 'ours'. The modern idea of the sovereign nation-state may be post-Westphalian, but the idea of a 'state' in general took root when we first broke the soil at Nippur.

e:^ In that case you put masking tape on the bottom and the cold pack on the top.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lol

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

CGI Stardust posted:

The original tweet isn't really wrong - Labour's need to keep the unions happy could potentially lead to some bad environmental policy decisions, not sure why this is controversial? unions aren't magically revolutionary and leftist, once they hit a certain size / life-cycle point they become bureaucratic institutions whose role is self-reproduction and keeping their members in a job, and this might end up contradicting the goals of a wider leftist movement. It's happened before, it'll likely happen again.
One of the hardest parts of actually implementing the kinds of strong environmental protections we need is the whole turkeys/Christmas thing: as soon as anyone starts doing it in a way that actually interferes with people's livelihood/lifestyle (which we kind of need to do), it's absolutely trivial for opportunist politicians to start saying ENVIRONMENTALIST POLITICIANS DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU, and you lose the next election in a landslide. A model of environmental protection that you can't actually implement in practice is a bad model.

Working with the unions isn't perfect, but it bypasses that problem by ensuring that the protection of jobs and living standards is an integral part of the model, and is therefore a far better solution than the Greens can come up with. The Greens' approach is the environmental version of revoke A50: all well and good if you just want to harvest a few votes from single issue voters and know full well you'll never be in power, but it isn't actually a realistic solution because you'd never actually be able to implement it.

Also, y'know. Support a union. We should be ensuring that our environmental policy protects jobs and living standards, and the labour movement has proven to be literally the only thing capable of doing that out of all* of the things that have ever been tried.

*both

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you like silly key reuse then I reccomend Deviant Ollam's presentations on youtube on the subject.

I think my favourite is when the name of the key is just the bitting code inscribed on the key itself and they rely on people not figuring this out.

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013

CGI Stardust posted:

I think this is something the Green movement struggles with sometimes. I think the point is that any transition to a Green economy (hate that term) has to be a just transition and can't leave behind the large sectors of society that are going to have to fundamentally shift; from people who work on oil rigs to dairy farmers. Look at the yellow vest movement for an example of what happens when misguided environmental policies come up against people's daily struggle. A policy of 'save the planet at all costs' is not going to be popular among the people who are going to have to pay those costs - which will be the poor and vulnerable and the working class unless the transition is focused on them from the start.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
god, i love publicly-available security products being keyed alike. also love being able to cut a key from the picture, goddamn that's the ticket right there

still more fun to pick them though!

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

CGI Stardust posted:

devil's advocate: Swinson isn't entirely wrong from the LD point of view. They're assuming that politics has restructured entirely around Brexit and Leave / Remain, in which case the good council and EU election results for LD in that district might become a better predictor than the 2017 result, and the graph almost (with a bunch of twisting around in the ol' brainpan) makes sense - Full Remain vs Full Leave and we don't understand what Labour are doing and neither does anyone else.

Would I like to bet on this? No I would not.

Did you see the survey question the graph was produced from?

Absolutely nothing to do with the Euro or council elections. They literally asked people 'if only the Lib Dems or Conservatives could win, who would you vote for?' and put the result in a graph.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Capitalism putting hard working lock wranglers out of business because you can just buy half a dozen keys off ebay and use them for everything.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Rust Martialis posted:

Ockham might point out the Nest thermostat is wireless so physical access is not necessary, and that the box might be to try to prevent it being easily stolen as they're not cheap devices.

Does the tenant have access to the controls, or not, becomes the relevant question.
im p sure that's literally the opposite of the conclusion you'd arrive at with Ockham's razor

start with the fact that alab and by far the simplest explanation is that the landlord locked the controls for the heating away from the tenant to stop them from controlling the heating

also the op tweeted this

https://mobile.twitter.com/alexmilsom/status/1190943768897347584

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Shatter the fucker.

Guavanaut posted:

What's interesting with the Bolivian system is that coca is no longer very much a cash crop. The vast majority (de jure all of it, but in reality something like 95%) is now grown to be chewed, made into tea or flour, it's largely gone back to the way it has been grown for millennia. People willingly went back to that system because it's preferable to dealing with cartels.

That means there is no high value product coming out of it, and thus no need for money to be laundered. That sounds preferable to "stop deforestation by encouraging less environmentally destructive means of money laundering". It'd be interesting to see if that persists if Peru starts to pick it up. I highly doubt Colombia will ever do that, as their coca and culture around it is different.

I wonder if they'll start claiming that they're helping the environment by providing green money laundering services.

Males masturbating, or masturbating of males? (This is important.)

I like this.

Despite all my rage I am still just a stat in a cage.

Also :lol: that's one of those internet of things thermostats, couldn't the landlord have just moved it somewhere else? (Preferably up his rear end.)

Wait, I’m just catching up on this magnificent discussion but you are saying that Bolivia no longer exports coca illegally at all? Because otherwise they have money to launder.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

It means the landlord can easily control their tenants heating, at home or via an app. The power of a minor god at the tip of your fingers. Not sure how this poo poo usually works in the UK, but if heating is included in the rent then the landlord is also incentivized to optimize heating use - cutting it when people "aren't supposed to be home" and poo poo like that, which would be an even more worthwhile endeavor if they have multiple properties linked to the same system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1191036224070471680

Lib Dems are such pathetic bootlickers that the tories were worried they'd hurt themselves doing it.

No wonder Dave thought he was a towering statesman and still does.

While he towers over one of the pigs :mrapig: