Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

So Planet Zoo is coming officially in November with a 10 day beta at the end of September if you pay for their "deluxe" edition of the game, which I guess includes a few animals and access to the 10 day beta...

Overall the game looks okay, there's tons of gameplay videos coming out now from the big Planet Coaster / gaming YouTubers like Silverette and Geekism...

Big drawback I have seen (although I guess this is alpha and could change) is that the animals escape their cage and just scare the guests out of the park. There is currently 0 actual interaction between the escaped animals and the guests...

Here is Silvarret's first stream / look through of the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqm27GXmrug

And a video of him and a couple others doing a more real playthrough and starting to build...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRUWnJxAmTc

I would make a separate thread but I don't want to be the douchebag OP that creates a mega game thread and disappears after a week...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm gonna watch all those vids, but is the game just going to be more "build a park piece by piece" fluff, or are they planning on having more sim mechanics this time around?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm gonna watch all those vids, but is the game just going to be more "build a park piece by piece" fluff, or are they planning on having more sim mechanics this time around?

I haven't actually watched too much of the videos yet. But there is a lot more backstage type stuff to at least indicate there will be a lot more sim type stuff. Although some of it might get really into micromanaging. Like the animals all have health / happiness type stats that need to be maintained.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I haven't actually watched too much of the videos yet. But there is a lot more backstage type stuff to at least indicate there will be a lot more sim type stuff. Although some of it might get really into micromanaging. Like the animals all have health / happiness type stats that need to be maintained.
This gave me the wonderful mental image of a Lion threatening to quit because they feel under trained for the lion show. Then immediately quitting after you train them because now they feel overqualified.

At the very least, it would be less depressing than a Lion complaining it's starving, then overeating itself to death.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Well, the default park all the streamers started out with began collapsing within minutes despite being superficially pretty so that's something :v:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I would make a separate thread but I don't want to be the douchebag OP that creates a mega game thread and disappears after a week...

I'm technically still here :v:

If you want to do a write up, do so and PM me or something and I'll add it to the OP somewhere.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OilSDhAY664
Yeah looking at this it seems like just a really detailed Zoo Tycoon which honestly all I want, I hope I can build some reptile/small mammal/bug/bird houses in this game. And hey maybe we'll get a dinosaur expansion that will be much better than JW Evolution

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Hopefully they remember to make the management part fun this time.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Disappointing Pie posted:

Hopefully they remember to make the management part fun this time.
I mean from what I've seen its the stuff from Zoo Tycoon where you have to make sure the terrain is good and animals needs are met (I like the idea of onesided glass being an option to use.

Also want some aquariums if they can

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

I mean from what I've seen its the stuff from Zoo Tycoon where you have to make sure the terrain is good and animals needs are met (I like the idea of onesided glass being an option to use.

Also want some aquariums if they can

I'd be shocked if a marine park isn't expansion #1.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
At this point I just hope they've managed to get some better performance out of their engine. Planet Coaster really starts to run like crap once you get a lot of guests and scenery, and it can be a real chore to play at times with endless stuttering and poor framerates.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj2ZP-qQcwE

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
I have only seen a few videso that I have been able to find about Planet Zoo, but it looks like a very exciting game.

To me it looks more about micro management than actual building. Seems that if you try to expand too fast your zoo will go downhill in seconds.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/DanStapleton/status/1189584191026941952?s=19

Yikes.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Refusing IG "9/10 was recognizably a gamelike experience" N a review copy?

yikes

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Seems like a good opportunity to experimentally determine how much power game companies have power over review sites

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

Control Volume posted:

Seems like a good opportunity to experimentally determine how much power game companies have power over review sites

I think what you are trying to say is that its a good opportunity for Game Companies to see how much impact do review sites have on their sales.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Well this is clearly going to answer both

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

I question how much of the planet zoo demographic cares about IGN.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Ive gotten more value out of planet zoo during the beta than ign has given me my entire life

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Stilla lovely move by Frontier, though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Stilla lovely move by Frontier, though.

What is the rationale of that decision? It seems needlessly standoffish and makes it appear as if they’re hiding a bad game or something.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

buglord posted:

What is the rationale of that decision? It seems needlessly standoffish and makes it appear as if they’re hiding a bad game or something.

To me it looks more like a marketing move. You can't see reviews or streams or Youtubers so you gotta buy it if you want to know whats the deal with it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

MikeStmria posted:

To me it looks more like a marketing move. You can't see reviews or streams or Youtubers so you gotta buy it if you want to know whats the deal with it.

Which is usually the sign of a game the devs know is bad. Except they already have a mostly well received beta period with plenty of people showing game footage. So declining to give review copies because they "only" did one preview article in a given month just seems like an rear end in a top hat move instead of trying to hide a bad game.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I don't think I've read a review of a video game since the days of PC Gamer in the early 2000s but it's still a lovely thing to do that I would expect from someone like EA or Activision, not Frontier.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

it seems to me more like weird corporate power move bullshit that youre only seeing igns side of than anything that truly reflects on the quality of the game itself

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Anything that annoy's IGN amuses me

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Doesn't matter what you think of IGN, that's a really dumb move. I hope the game is still alright.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Bethesda hasn't been giving people review copies until release day for years. DOOM and Dishonored 2 were still mind blowingly good. A couple other publishers have often done the same to mixed results.

I mean, this won't be because it's another Frontier park "management" game, but it's nothing new or anything to truly be shocked about.

If the question was how much control publishers have over the gaming media, it's complete and total and has been for 20+ years. The fact that embargoes have been maintained for the most part in that time is evident of that. The fact that Raiden in MGS2 was a complete surprise was also a pretty good showcase.

The legal ramifications for an actual company breaking their contractual NDA and the ones for you or I making a post about an alpha release with an NDA are vastly different and far more enforceable.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Everyone already knew how much reviewers needed to keep Publishers happy when a full 6 points on their 10 point scales became completely unused with 7 being unplayable and anything below 8.5 bad.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Everyone already knew how much reviewers needed to keep Publishers happy when a full 6 points on their 10 point scales became completely unused with 7 being unplayable and anything below 8.5 bad.

I sahre this. Most of the times reviews are on what a game lacks and not on what you can do in a game or what it has cool.

Ex.

Planet Zoo, amazing habitat building and poo poo.

"Oh man, I wanted to have dolphins, gently caress this game. 2.5/5 stars. Its a shame devs always fail to deliver and trash what could have been a great game."

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
planet zoo is probably going to be planet coaster but with animals and that makes me sad frontier has proven time and time again that they have trouble grasping 'fun'

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

planet coaster isnt even a game. its a toy. its legos but you make sick coasters and buildings and stuff. trying to actually play the game part is awful.

i put over a hundred hours into it anyways but i wouldnt expect anything else out of planet zoo tbh

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Theres a lot more game in planet zoo because animals are living things

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

HORMELCHILI posted:

Theres a lot more game in planet zoo because animals are living things

And yet their Jurassic Park game was also a theme park painter...

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
I can confirm that Planet Zoo is nothing like Planet Coaster, That is if you play on challange or franchise. If you are playing it on sandbox, like, just go learn autocad or rhino instead.

The management is truely amazing. You can't have too many females or males. Habitats need to mantain certain temperature. Want to make something espectacular that looks amazing? Go for it, but if your animal dislikes it, he is gonna die. You have lots of people coming in but there is not enough education stuff on your zoo. RIP your wallet, they will ask for a refund on their entrance tickeet and you will lose money.

Making money is, somewhat easy. In planet Zoo what really matters is leaf bucks aka Conservvation Points. Those buy the cool animals and you can only get those by spending time running the zoo (unpaued game) or breeding and releasing animals to the wild. Each animal, not the species, the actual animal, has different stats that affect how much you get out of them when realsing them. Animal Trading is dynamic, even if you want your female tiger so much, it might take some time for it to appear since there is only certain amount of them and they change quickly.

Honestly, great game, has soooo much potential.

As a note: I don't know how many hours I have spent on it, but have already go broke on 3 different zoos. Right now starting the 4th to try make it correctly

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
My problem with it is just like Planet Coaster, you almost need a architecture or design background to come up with a decent looking full looking organic zoo and you better have hundreds of hours to meticulously place every corner of a building etc. I wish they had way more ploppables of a decent design.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

Disappointing Pie posted:

My problem with it is just like Planet Coaster, you almost need a architecture or design background to come up with a decent looking full looking organic zoo and you better have hundreds of hours to meticulously place every corner of a building etc. I wish they had way more ploppables of a decent design.

Steamworkshop is there for you.

I either enjoy what I am doing or try and do it nicely. I cant really have both. There are enough good looking buildings. Since you dont need a lot of them, but you need to research them, habitats are tricky, since it all depends on how you want your zoo too look, after all its a simulation game. For example. I have seen lots of zoos that they are mainly done with "underground habitats" but noting restricts you from just building walls on flat surface.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I might actually have to check it out if there are other pressures beyond money shaping how the zoo looks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
The pressure in from animals not having the correct male female ratio or not enough food, or 2 males fighting for alpha status, or stress from visitors. There is a lot of factors, but this are considered only if you dont have the game paused, if its paused. Its just matter of money tbh.

Once you unpause. poo poo begins