Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Slim Pickens posted:

Something from facebook.

That's an R1

I... don't hate it. Gimme some real handlebars and that might be rad as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Elviscat posted:

An R1 engine would be fantastic for a cruiser, lots of bottom end torque, power that never stops coming, and buttery smooth, even on a lightweight sportbike, probably doubly so on a chonky cruiser.

I dunno, I can think of engines I'd take over the R1 engine. A Hayabusa or ZX14 engine is as powerful, has more torque, and much better torque delivery down low. After swapping my Hayabusa for a R1M, I definitely do miss the power delivery at road going speeds.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Really? What I miss about my R1 was never wanting for power, ever, at least until about 160 where it starts to peter out a bit.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Elviscat posted:

Really? What I miss about my R1 was never wanting for power, ever, at least until about 160 where it starts to peter out a bit.

Yeah, really. Don't get me wrong, my R1M is a fun toy that has me grinning like an idiot. But next to my Hayabusa and ZX14s I've ridden, the engine has nothing in the torque department. The R1 definitely has less pickup down low, and I do know from experience, my Hayabusa blew by 1 litre bikes out of corners and onto long straights with ease.

That the R1 is considered one of the more torquier litre bikes, you can imagine what the Hayabusa and ZX14 owners think of it when a ZX10 owner uses the word "torque".

All of the above are far more bike than is needed on the road, so it's kind of nitpicking anyway.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Average cruiser peak torque is under 3k rpm, that's what's required to move the mass of it. Going from lower peak torque cruiser to slightly higher peak torque cruiser is rather noticeable and unpleasant. Which is why Goldwing/Harley are topping the sales charts and Yamaha and Kawasaki are struggling to make a competitive product in that segment. Unless you're keeping the weight low, which affects the comfort levels, sport bike engine is going to suck poo poo at the application.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There's a right way and a wrong way to TL.

Right way:

Wrong way:

My phone can't adequately capture how grotesque it is.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's a gently caress ton of work to have an ugly SV1000

E: cutting off the massive oversell "SRAD: Suzuki Ram Air Direct" and "V-Twin Superbike" decals is a fuckin' crime too.

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

The TL's sound so loving good. I've always wanted one of those bikes.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

There's a right way and a wrong way to TL.

Right way:

Wrong way:

My phone can't adequately capture how grotesque it is.

guhh

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GeneticWeapon posted:

The TL's sound so loving good. I've always wanted one of those bikes.

I've always wanted one too. The 1000r is fantastic, I'd never ridden one before and it blew me away. I expected a 90's Gixxer with a v-twin but what you get is a 90's Ducati with a gixxer fork and ergos, it's fucken magical. Probably the nicest 'old' v-twin I've ridden.

It's a shame they're laughably overpriced (v-twin from the 90's or late 00's superbike for the same cost, hmmm) and replacing the shock is pretty much mandatory. They're a really unique experience.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwjVUwXYXl0

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

That race looks super fun and that guy can ride.

Unrelated, but these guys can ride too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq-voL3awLo

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It's a shame they're laughably overpriced

I never see them in my area unless they've been dumped and/or repainted.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I've always wanted one too. The 1000r is fantastic, I'd never ridden one before and it blew me away. I expected a 90's Gixxer with a v-twin but what you get is a 90's Ducati with a gixxer fork and ergos, it's fucken magical. Probably the nicest 'old' v-twin I've ridden.

It's a shame they're laughably overpriced (v-twin from the 90's or late 00's superbike for the same cost, hmmm) and replacing the shock is pretty much mandatory. They're a really unique experience.

That shock is why prices are so high, scarcity enforced by highside.

I also assume that the streetfightered one up there is just built from the bits they could remove from the ditch, which is of course the actual correct lifecycle for a streetfighter.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Proving once again, it’s the rider, not the bike

and also Suzuki supremacy :colbert:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Proving once again, it’s the rider, not the bike

and also Suzuki supremacy :colbert:

There’s a couple guys who are much faster than me who race sandblast on dr650s. I don’t understand how, but it’s impressive.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I know dirt isn't for me because I watch stuff like this and wonder why anyone would go out of their way to do something so punishing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Because doing it is a technical achievement as much as a physical one. Balancing throttle, brake, clutch, momentum, traction, suspension loading, the terrain and taking a beating while you do it feels amazing.

drat I miss spending whole days riding single track.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

I know dirt isn't for me because I watch stuff like this and wonder why anyone would go out of their way to do something so punishing.

But it's so fun?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I admire the commitment and work, the music choice, not so much:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-YGYaMyC9E&t=24s

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uADltVYTk8s

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pfft, he stopped it before getting back on, he's no Randy Mamola

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC-8Mwp-rTc

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Slavvy posted:

It absolutely sucks to learn, but when you watch the really, really good riders, they just flow through/over everything, while your arms and knees are getting pounded, they're just blasting over whoops, kissing the top of each one.

The guy I go riding with isn't in any better physical shape than I am, but after a full day of riding I'm completely loving physically destroyed, and he's not, because he's so much smoother and more graceful than I am.

Speaking of, I had the privilege of getting to ride a bunch of trails with an A level rider, including miles of single track he hand built on a mountain, it was a humbling loving experience, I also watched him ride up a near vertical rockface, when we'd catch up to him at a stop, he'd just walk away from us like we were standing still, this is all with him going at a "break in pace" because he just got a brand new TC300 and hadn't installed any protection yet.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Stupid question: How does he not even accidentally gun the throttle as he is falling back down or stopping the bike. All of the weight is on his hands. I guess he could be bracing his right arm against the tank so he isn't tugging on the handlebars, but jeeze.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

RCR did an SV650 review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I_QwDoRI6M

I agree with most of what he says, 'The SV650 is not a beginner bike'. It's been 10 years since I sold mine, and I do miss it. I've never been as confident in corners on any bike as the SV650, it just handles so drat well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hell yeah SV supremacy

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Hey Jim I found the next the you need to get for your wing:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

https://i.imgur.com/5yg6ykf.gifv

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 28, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that teenager is the coolest person in the entire world

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Sagebrush posted:

that teenager is the coolest person in the entire world

I know, right? Smoking cigarettes AND riding motorbikes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Mister Speaker posted:

Is it just me or are those tires hosed?
That's what your tires are supposed to look like, friend.

Revvik posted:

I have a perfectly good driveway that can be used as a dumping ground. Especially if they have the Vetter boxes.
Careful what you wish for.
Fortunately/unfortunately no fairings of any kind.

Renaissance Robot posted:

This is goddamn amazing.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is goddamn amazing.
Driving on curvy unlit roads at night must be akin to playing Russian roulette

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i mean it's no worse than a car in that sense, really

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng8Ll7x08Vk

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Renaissance Robot posted:

:captainpop::chanpop::eyepop::trumppop::bernpop::eyepoop::elongate::popeye::shittypop::gowron:

Imagine any of those except it’s just paused at the last frame with the eyes fully extended

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Marky Marq with another absolutely brutal crash in qualifying this weekend. The slow-mo (it's at 2:10 if the timestamp doesn't work) is like the picture-perfect example of a highside. Watch his back as the bike stands up and bucks him off; that looks like a spinal injury before he's even thrown from the bike... EDIT: I forgot the suits have airbags now. Cool to watch that deploy. His landing is a testament to how safe the gear is, in any case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz7_2U-dkQ0&t=130s

This came shortly after this tasty save from the little guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHYdeGLLPro

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 3, 2019

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

Marky Marq with another absolutely brutal crash in qualifying this weekend. The slow-mo (it's at 2:10 if the timestamp doesn't work) is like the picture-perfect example of a highside. Watch his back as the bike stands up and bucks him off; that looks like a spinal injury before he's even thrown from the bike... EDIT: I forgot the suits have airbags now. Cool to watch that deploy. His landing is a testament to how safe the gear is, in any case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz7_2U-dkQ0&t=130s

Almost a carbon copy of the Foggy off at Sugo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seLovcy4uEI

He also did the exact same thing (with Wile E Coyote attempt to run in midair) at Donington one year but I can't seem to find that one.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
That slow-mo footage of his feet and wrists hitting the ground make me cringe. Amazing that he could just walk away from that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Almost a carbon copy of the Foggy off at Sugo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seLovcy4uEI

He also did the exact same thing (with Wile E Coyote attempt to run in midair) at Donington one year but I can't seem to find that one.

Wasn't that Lorenzo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MetaJew posted:

That slow-mo footage of his feet and wrists hitting the ground make me cringe. Amazing that he could just walk away from that.

TBH if you look at super-slow-mo of anyone falling over it looks horrifying, the human body's pretty loving tough.

Slavvy posted:

Wasn't that Lorenzo?

He may well have, but the specific one I remember is a WSB race in the 90s, at (what are now) the Fogarty Esses, but buggered if I can find it. I'm certain of the corner, and the comedic running, but maybe it was a different rider.